• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Based on this post-->

This might be a good source:
www.flickr.com

Raoul Antonio

Explore Raoul Antonio’s 649 photos on Flickr!
In addition to Raoul, in the realm of people well known for their SC screenshots, there's mr.hasgaha. So without further ado, more on-topic space ship design appreciation courtesy of hasgaha.

1fvNfaP.jpg

P3vZw7o.jpg

V5HxXpy.jpg

0i77NvA.jpg

X8fZw2i.jpg

Sl3zktK.jpg

lc4Yxjl.png

nfy3E0P.jpg

tzeQYtw.jpg

9Yh5Tvu.jpg

H9K4Xce.jpg

(Flickr albums for respective SC versions here: 3.6, 3.5, 3.4, 3.3, 3.2, 3.1, 3.0, 2.6)

And while the exterior ship design is top class, what's really amazing is that all ships are fully designed internally as well. While initial interiors were rough compared to the exterior designs, it's something that CIG has been getting better at over time.
Everything from the small ships (300i)
ScreenShot0199.jpg

To the palatial (890 Jump)
ScreenShot0075.jpg

(Interior shots are not from hasgaha.)

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I just want to role play in my Freelancer where i get a message from the Era group saying they want to hire me on a salvage run because they heard I'm the best engineer in the system. Then we arrive to the derelict ship, cut through the hatch, take the cargo and leave before an alliance ship shows up and arrests us for illegal salvage. But they show up just before we leave and we have to launch the cry baby to help our escape.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
The ships indeed look phenomenal. CIG now needs to turn over those assets to a dev that knows what they are doing.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So... not knowing anything about this game... If you aren't a backer or anything and just wait until whenever it launches, do you just pay $60 and get the game and some starter ship, then go around doing missions and eventually buy your way into better ships with the in-game currency you earn? And have the option to pay real-world bucks to buy a fancy ship?

I feel like my only frame of reference for this game is EVE, but that this game isn't really like EVE at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So... not knowing anything about this game... If you aren't a backer or anything and just wait until whenever it launches, do you just pay $60 and get the game and some starter ship, then go around doing missions and eventually buy your way into better ships with the in-game currency you earn? And have the option to pay real-world bucks to buy a fancy ship?

I feel like my only frame of reference for this game is EVE, but that this game isn't really like EVE at all.
I'm pretty sure they have yet to outline any sort of realistic plan for how much ships will cost with your in-game earned credits.

And they won't because it will either (a) turn people off at the realization that the game is fully P2W: that the amount of time it takes to earn credits by doing normal activities puts some ships at several hundred hours of grinding away. Or it will (b) cause people to cool their jets about buying ships with real money upon the realization that they could -- in a reasonable amount of time spent playing -- purchase any of the ships they want for free. And CRI still needs that income to continue working on this project, so...

I don't think anyone here could give you an honest prediction about how much these ships will cost in game or how long it will take to earn them. That is a scary prospect for people who are rightly concerned about a pay 2 win dynamic right out of the gate and well into the future after release. Ideally, the only kinds of ships that would have been on sale would have been small fighters and cargo ships that would have otherwise been considered "starter" ships. That way, everyone starts off at the same general level. Big ships in the PTU, then, get people excited about what they can *earn* when the game finally drops. Instead, they went with the route that lets them sap people of hundreds or thousands of dollars. Good for their pockets, bad for players.

You can already see it: most players will launch into the game on week 1 in their starter ship, try out some dog fighting at some point, and get beaten down by ships with orders of magnitude more combat potential and weapon effectiveness because they paid more for it. Ships that -- once they check the prices -- they realize will take them 4 months of daily grinding to be able to purchase themselves. The very definition of P2W comes true with a fair number of people noping out. This is just as likely as any scenario, and every scenario is a very clear and extreme imbalance for at least the first several months of the game's existence as a shipped product.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Seems like a lot of people have a lot of ships. Maybe just walk around asking people to borrow theirs lol. Can't fly them all at once!

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I'm pretty sure they have yet to outline any sort of realistic plan for how much ships will cost with your in-game earned credits.

And they won't because it will either (a) turn people off at the realization that the game is fully P2W: that the amount of time it takes to earn credits by doing normal activities puts some ships at several hundred hours of grinding away. Or it will (b) cause people to cool their jets about buying ships with real money upon the realization that they could -- in a reasonable amount of time spent playing -- purchase any of the ships they want for free. And CRI still needs that income to continue working on this project, so...

I don't think anyone here could give you an honest prediction about how much these ships will cost in game or how long it will take to earn them. That is a scary prospect for people who are rightly concerned about a pay 2 win dynamic right out of the gate and well into the future after release. Ideally, the only kinds of ships that would have been on sale would have been small fighters and cargo ships that would have otherwise been considered "starter" ships. That way, everyone starts off at the same general level. Big ships in the PTU, then, get people excited about what they can *earn* when the game finally drops. Instead, they went with the route that lets them sap people of hundreds or thousands of dollars. Good for their pockets, bad for players.

You can already see it: most players will launch into the game on week 1 in their starter ship, try out some dog fighting at some point, and get beaten down by ships with orders of magnitude more combat potential and weapon effectiveness because they paid more for it. Ships that -- once they check the prices -- they realize will take them 4 months of daily grinding to be able to purchase themselves. This is just as likely as any scenario, and every scenario is a very clear and extreme imbalance for at least the first several months of the game's existence as a shipped product.
And like... maybe I don't need to know today exactly how much time it would take to earn your way into a new ship. And I fully expect that the very highest end ships would be out of reach of the average player. But I'm just wondering if there's at least some reasonable path towards getting new ships, even if you won't ever reach the pinnacle without paying for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
And like... maybe I don't need to know today exactly how much time it would take to earn your way into a new ship. And I fully expect that the very highest end ships would be out of reach of the average player. But I'm just wondering if there's at least some reasonable path towards getting new ships, even if you won't ever reach the pinnacle without paying for it.
Yea, that's the point. It's what everyone would want to know. And we just don't know. Until they decide how many credits can be earned by the various activities/occupations planned AND until they settle on a price tag for each ship, your essential question cannot be answered. The question boils down to credits/hour vs total cost for the hull + upkeep. We don't know any of those numbers for anything because they haven't set them.

And no, there is no reason for a high end ship to be out of reach for the average player...unless they are willing to pay money for it. That's not how any of this should work. Any and every ship should have a realistic pathway to ownership.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
How can you compete with Raoul and hasgaha, god dammit :O

----
EVE is a good reference. Current prices of ships ingame are pretty ok in terms UEC/h and corresponding ship cost , you can also rent ships, which is of course way cheaper. The bigger ships though will be way more expensive then in EVE probably, because they are multicrew, if not, then it will make a group play really easy as you will be grinding currency for ships in similar way you grind for super capitals in EVE, as a whole corporation.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I have an Aurora and this seems so wrong that people have access to much better ships right away from the start of the game without any in-game effort?
How is this different from current micro transaction system, especially when such nicely detailed and *functional* ships are showcased which greatly affect game play?

Feel disappointed.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Still no shots of the lovely Aurora... Smdh.
I guess I'll have to login myself and make some later tonight :P Don't expect them to be Hashaga or Capt. Raoul quality though.

On the topic of earning ships with ingame money: the current prices are somewhat reasonable, but I'm pretty sure these will change. The current system to earn money is rather easily exploited and I'm sure that the rental mechanic being introduced on top of currently being able to buy ships with ingame money will make it even easier to earn lots of cash for a relatively low investment of ingame funds. (so a slight grind to get that rental, then a big payday when you sell a buttload of cargo with the ship you rented, which might enable you to actually buy one ingame) I'm sure that'll lead to some inflation, so prices will probably rise.
There are a great many people with only a starter ship though, so I'm at least hopeful they won't ignore that large section of backers.

The fact that there are (lots, and lots) of people with bigger/better ships in the verse than me doesnt really bother me. The amount of space available makes it pretty easy to avoid people and just do your own thing until you earn a bigger ship. And there's always Orgs (the games version of guilds) you could join who might be able to help a starting pilot out with some tips or a loaner ship.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
They actually have been setting prices on ships in the PU for purposes of buying and (eventually) renting. Obviously these prices are very much subject to change though as the economy evolves from the very primitive state that it's currently in.

And no, there is no reason for a high end ship to be out of reach for the average player...unless they pay money for it. That's not how any of this should work. Any and every ship should have a realistic pathway to ownership.
There actually is a reason for the very high end ships to be out of reach for the average player; they're not meant to be run by your average player in the first place. Some of the ships are very much group/org focused. A Javelin, for instance, will be obscenely expensive in game. It isn't a ship that your average player would buy though, because it's designed to be run by large groups. Groups that'd have pooled their resources to have obtained it.

SC isn't a solo game, and not all prices need to reflect what makes sense for a single person. Sure a single player could do it, if they spent a ton of time grinding for that sole purpose, but then they wouldn't even be able to run it without spending another fortune paying NPCs to man the ship. It's not like the average person would find it any easier to buy it with real life money though, seeing as how it's both limited in quanitity and extremely expensive in cash as well. Some ships are just expensive no matter how you cut it, and that's fine. In the end, ships designed for solo play will be obtainable by solo players. Ships designed for group play will be obtainable by groups.

Seems like a lot of people have a lot of ships. Maybe just walk around asking people to borrow theirs lol. Can't fly them all at once!
Sure, you could borrow a friend's ship. Else you could join an org and play as a crew member on a larger ship and share in the profits. The larger ships, as mentioned above, are designed with the intent of many people working towards a common goal on a single ship.

How much did that cost you? Did you sell your previous ships to buy new ones?
He said upgrading, so that'd imply CCUing the existing ship to a new one. Meanwhile the cost to go from an Aurora to an Avenger Titan is at most $30, which would put the entire package around the cost of a modern AAA game. If you spent half as much time researching anything about the game instead of shitposting on threads for it, you'd know all of this and wouldn't have to ask. But please, keep being "concerned" about how people spend their own money. Would you like to know how much they spent on their lunch today? Or how about how much it cost to fill up their vehicle last?

I have an Aurora and this seems so wrong that people have access to much better ships right away from the start of the game without any in-game effort?
How is this different from current micro transaction system, especially when such nicely detailed and *functional* ships are showcased which greatly affect game play?

Feel disappointed.
It's an MMO. MMOs are ultimately never fair with people on equal footing. A person coming to the game later is going to be at a disadvantage to those that came ahead of them. A person that plays for the first time on day one will be disadvantaged compared to a person that had played in the alpha/beta period and knew exactly what to do and has inside knowledge of efficient ways to make money that aren't publicized on the internet. A person with a lot of friends / contacts in game is going to have an advantage over somebody that plays solo. A person that can play a dozen hours a day is going to have an advantage over a person that can only play a couple. All SC will have done is added money as yet another factor in the myriad of statistical inequalities.

The only things that matter in the end for an MMO are progression (so none of the above inequalities prevent it) and balance within the systems of the game (so the above inequalities don't unduly punish those with a disadvantage). Who has an advantage at day one will matter very little years down the road as power ebbs and flows with regards to all of the above. In the end, if you're concerned with equality, you'll have to stick to e-sports type games.

All that said, these replies are rather diverging from the point of the thread, so this'll be my last post on them.

Jul 17, 2018
He said upgrading, so that'd imply CCUing the existing ship to a new one. Meanwhile the cost to go from an Aurora to an Avenger Titan is at most $30, which would put the entire package around the cost of a modern AAA game. If you spent half as much time researching anything about the game instead of shitposting on threads for it, you'd know all of this and wouldn't have to ask. But please, keep being "concerned" about how people spend their own money. Would you like to know how much they spent on their lunch today? Or how about how much it cost to fill up their vehicle last?

I've not voiced concern in any way, it was a genuine question. Why are you melting down?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Almost a year ago, from the large gathering when PTU 3.3 was released to public:
bhlvv83k9k4a.jpg

They landed on a planet and caused chaos everywhere they went. :D

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
The ship artists are not responsible for the companies shady business practices and pricing structure. Those designs are awesome and the style and thought gone into them are super cool, props to the concept and 3d artists

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's an MMO. MMOs are ultimately never fair with people on equal footing. A person coming to the game later is going to be at a disadvantage to those that came ahead of them. A person that plays for the first time on day one will be disadvantaged compared to a person that had played in the alpha/beta period and knew exactly what to do and has inside knowledge of efficient ways to make money that aren't publicized on the internet. A person with a lot of friends / contacts in game is going to have an advantage over somebody that plays solo. A person that can play a dozen hours a day is going to have an advantage over a person that can only play a couple. All SC will have done is added money as yet another factor in the myriad of statistical inequalities.

The only things that matter in the end for an MMO are progression (so none of the above inequalities prevent it) and balance within the systems of the game (so the above inequalities don't unduly punish those with a disadvantage). Who has an advantage at day one will matter very little years down the road as power ebbs and flows with regards to all of the above. In the end, if you're concerned with equality, you'll have to stick to e-sports type games.

All that said, these replies are rather diverging from the point of the thread, so this'll be my last post on them.
I consider this to be a rather specious point and and point of view when discussing extreme *launch day* gaps in a game that prolifically features PvP interactions.

Long term? Sure, players that play more will have more. That's how MMO's and looters work, whether we're talking about Warframe, Destiny, WoW, Final Fantasy, Borderlands, Elite Dangerous or Diablo and I wouldn't have it any other way. You know how none of those games work? By creating a massive gap between players by design, on day one, based on how much they were willing to spend on mid or end-game ships before launch. None of those games feature a developer offering for sale with real money items that can give you a demonstrable advantage over others. Last run of that we had was Battlefront 2 I believe, and we know how well that went. Cosmetics, sure knock yourself out. But paying for in-game advantage? Well that's what is generally referred to as "pay2win" and outside of SC is typically reserved exclusively for the free to play mobile phone game market.

I'm all for letting people buy ships for real money as a pledge. The ships are damn cool, after all. But ideally, I think that purchasing options should have been limited to a certain class of ship. Say, any of the 30 or so small ships (a few for each profession/pursuit at minimum) at the same general price. This would have allowed people to select something they like from a large pool and to start at ground floor, immediately able to spec into the profession/pursuit they really want to do, creating their own pathway to their end-game ships or play style over time. This would have been perfect and avoided this issue entirely, but they decided to take the easy money and worry about balance later (or never). This has the potential to create an economic imbalance and oppression in the game that could take years to smooth out and quite frankly, nobody should be in favor of that regardless of how much you decided to donate in support of RSI or how many very nice looking ships you decided to buy. I'm not even sure there is a debate to be had on the subject so I understand your moving on from the discussion. Some things should be clear to any objective spectator.

Anyway, I'll be upgrading my Mustang today. I need to set up my flight stick again to work properly on SC, then decide which ship makes the most sense to upgrade to. Cutlass, Arrow, and Avenger are my finalists barring waiting for the Vanguard to go back up for sale.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day, people pay for those ships because they can have fun in them right now.

Yes, the game is not done yet, but it constantly gets better and bigger and tech that is used is really impressive. Some fly and dogfight a lot, some explore, some try to engage in [early] economy and mission content, and lots of people are joining in clans and having crazy raids and shootouts.

I personally just explore planets and do some missions after major PTU versions are released, and patiently wait for Squadron 42 singelplayer. I don't care when it will be done, since I can already find fun in the online mode.

Last edited:

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't mind that people can spend hundreds of dollars to get a ship now instead of having to earn it in game. I am perfectly fine slumming it in an Aurora until I can earn some cooler ships in game.

I'm much more concerned with how they are going to implement all the gameplay for those advanced ships. That 890J commercial is a prime example of what I am talking about. To make the game support what they have going on in that commercial, they would need:

1. Support 50-100 NPCs and/or players on a single ship at once
2. Have NPC controlled waiters / bar staff
3. Have NPC entertainers
4. A way to pick up NPC / players and charge money for having a party
5. Interesting enough parties where this would be fun to do repeatedly

The game is a LONG way away from making this a reality. Until these things get on the SC roadmap, it's hard to imagine how long those items will take to implement.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I always liked the Terrapin
Yeah, Terrapin is awesome. I loved it since first time they showed. Definitely a ship, i will be grinding towards as it is coop oriented.

---
If you are new player, save your money and just get Avenger Titan, a combat-ready light cargo ship. It's more than enough for getting to know the game and much better than any starter ship.
Hmm, looks awesome for a starting ship, but i like my Aurora too much ;p
It will probably be a first ship i buy though to progress faster.

I think my ultimate progression will be:
Aurora > Avenger Titan > Terrapin > Constellation
Both Terrapin and Constellation will be a group effort, so should be quite fast.

Last edited:

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
How much did that cost you? Did you sell your previous ships to buy new ones?
I got the Aurora pack for 30 dollars or so. Then you can upgrade your current ship for another one of a higher tier by paying the difference. If I have a 30 dollar ship, and I want a 35 dollar one, then I'd had to pay 5 dollars more.

The aurora was 30, upgraded to mustang alpha for 5 more, beta 5 more, and then I saw the rework they didto the avenger and fell in love with it, and payed 10 bucks more, so I payed a total of 50 bucks.

I have zero regrets.

For now.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Alright, here goes nothing.
I have zero experience posting pictures, so apologies in advance if I muck this up. Also paging KKRT
StarCitizen_2019_09_15_01_33_49_223.png

StarCitizen_2019_09_15_01_27_44_463.png

StarCitizen_2019_09_15_01_31_44_180.png

StarCitizen_2019_09_15_01_09_16_631.png

So, finally some pictures of the Aurora from my playsession last night. Tried to at least make them somewhat watcheable, but I'm no Raoul ofc.
This ship may not be much to look at and even lack features compared to other starter ships, but like I said before, I would not trade it for any other starter.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best looking ship in the game so far. Is this still purchasable?

No. And even if it were I wouldn't advise it as it is up for a rework and there is no telling whether or not you will like the changes. Purchasing a ship like this is a gamble. But if your the type that does, you would have to wait until either there is another limited event available or when ship becomes flight ready.

cyress8

Avenger
I have to send my new Hotas back for warranty and now need to fly my pretty ships with mouse and keyboard. I fly like a new player since it has been awhile since I've used just m/k controls.
I just spent two hours doing stuff...

6sJwEGa.jpg

wCXDuOT.jpg

MkWeWN5.jpg

The Constellation series are the best ships in game and it is a fact. They can do a huge amount alpha damage and have a lot of sustain on larger ships, fuck ton of missiles, do cargo runs, haul land vehicles, and it is multi crew ready.

When they fix the shield holes and rework how damage is done, the Constellation series will probably be the most flown ships ingame on release. Plus Star Trek nerds are going to gravitate hard to it.

Ikouros

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
At the end of the day, people pay for those ships because they can have fun in them right now.

Yes, the game is not done yet, but it constantly gets better and bigger and tech that is used is really impressive. Some fly and dogfight a lot, some explore, some try to engage in [early] economy and mission content, and lots of people are joining in clans and having crazy raids and shootouts.

I personally just explore planets and do some missions after major PTU versions are released, and patiently wait for Squadron 42 singelplayer. I don't care when it will be done, since I can already find fun in the online mode.

Hey this dude is almost as obnoxious as the frame rate.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Hey this dude is almost as obnoxious as the frame rate.

Rex is an acquired taste I understand but if you are watching the youtube video at 1080p60, then the video is mostly 60FPS. His build means he is at or either over that target on average. I am slightly jealous of course.

EDIT: And on Topic I find this ship cool despite it's limited focus

lk9w99k67az11.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This Banu Defender from October(?) is probably the ugliest ship I've seen lol

UMRI2sw.jpg

wB2kkV0.jpg

KrAqA33.jpg

4G6NTtc.jpg

Jun 1, 2018
Posting in this thread because with Planet Tech v4 and the new ship that came out it looks even better now.

Also the medbay works for respawning!

ze5ugdg.jpg

8g5NB5n.jpg

vLaEXfs.jpg

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I know most people in this thread are amazed at the ships here but what if you're afraid of spaceships? Well I think this book could help you
714PH4X5FRL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

Oct 27, 2017
So would it be possible to play this game if you want to chill? Like the mining sounds fun to just start up, do some mining for a bit during a weeknight for an hour or two

Game looks great still, just not happy with the wiping progress part (though I get it)