• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
People ask me why I support Star Citizen (full disclosure, I am a backer and have been forever), and this is the answer.

I don't know if the project will really come to fruition, but when I saw stuff like this, I feel happy to be alive in an era in which this is possible.

It's also impossible for me not to hope that this will actually happen, and root for the team that is working to make it happen.

StarCitizen-2.jpg

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Citizen looks just insane. I am still not sure if they will actually pull it off, and all I really care about is Squadron 42 from which nothing has been show yet. But I do hope they pull through. Pushing the envelope to this level is always insanely hard.

Oct 27, 2017
Star Citizen is like Magic Leap to me. I want to believe so bad. Got some ships already bought and damn I was blown away by the city. I'm curious how they are going to fill all that space with interesting things to do though. That part worries me a bit. Still watching the video.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a backer but I've yet to try the game. Do you get access to your ship and stuff if you download the launcher from their site and log in with your account?

Zeb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm yet to watch the video with sound but can you land everywhere in the city and walk the streets?

Ryousuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a backer but I've yet to try the game. Do you get access to your ship and stuff if you download the launcher from their site and log in with your account?

Right now, you can get your ship, fly around a few moons/planets, land on a few stations, do a few missions. What you see in this video (procedural city tech mostly) is what is about to come after 3.0.

White Wolf

Oct 27, 2017
The scale of Star Citizen is just something else. No other game even comes close.

The actual game part has yet to come together, but I have faith they will get there in time.

Freki

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand I'm very impressed.
On the other hand I find it hard to believe that this kind of scope is manageable. I sadly doubt that the pieces of this game will fit together in the end.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
The city building, environment and interior building tools on demonstration were just incredible.

Clearly they have a long way to go content wise, nonetheless remarkable what they have achieved so far.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I will be honest, I have my doubts that the vision of Star Citizen can be realized in any reasonable time-frame but dear god do I want it to happen, as someone SciFi loving who played Freelancer more than it's healthy it's like a dream! :D

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather take a smaller city with unique setpieces then this mix and match approach with a planet wide city. It takes you out a bit of the experience when you see ten buildings that look exactly alike almost next to eachother. Nevertheless the technology and work behind this is very impressive. I, as many other have written before me, want to believe that this will work in the end.

Sorry for the so-so English.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I would rather take a smaller city with unique setpieces then this mix and match approach with a planet wide city. It takes you out a bit of the experience when you see ten buildings that look exactly alike almost next to eachother. Nevertheless the technology and work behind this is very impressive. I, as many other have written before me, want to believe that this will work in the end.

Sorry for the so-so English.

Well in the fiction, they needed a planet covered entirely by a city, and it happened to be in the star system they've been working on to be the "first" system available to play in. I don't think they have any other city-planets in the fiction, so the tools they used for this will be used to design all the other (more reasonably sized) cities on other planets in the game.

Spongebob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want SC to succeed, but how exactly does CIG intend on making an 'MMO' from this? I think they're going to have to compromise a lot in terms of multiplayer design. The other issue is with their turnaround. 3.0 was promised for Dec 2016 with a host of networking improvements. Chances are that 3.0 (w/o said network improvements) isn't coming to PTU till 2018.

Yesterday's demo was also rather lacking in terms of gameplay and interaction.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Star Citizen is going to be a serious test of the theory that if you have enough money and time, you can make anything.

I sincerely hope they can do it.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
As a backer from when the website went up after the Kickstarter, I so want this game to be successful. This demo has shown how far the content tools have gone, and it is extraordinary!

The SQ42 demo at the end of the year will be more important I think. Their up-to-date vision for gameplay will have to be on display then, and I hope they are successful.

As far as tech, before I get truly hyped and pulled back in, the next big thing they need to demo will be the update to their network code. How will all of this perform in a server(s) with other people? It seems to be currently the network code is the culprit for performance, so here's hoping.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Backed it for 40$ 5 years ago, I never stopped believing in the project but I just wish Christ would've learned from his mistakes in Freelancer, he's a visionary but he desperately needs veteran and competent project managers.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The procedural city builder is impressive on a technical level, though I suspect most of those buildings won't have anything meaningful in them. But it makes for some nice eye candy. I find the palette of SC to be a bit grim, cold, and dystopian though, which could get old.

The thing I was most impressed by in the demo was not the city or planet stuff, but the guy standing on the landing deck of that space station, looking out at the planet. It almost gave me that woozy feeling of being really high up, which is something I can't say NMS has ever done. Also being able to see the surface from orbit is really impressive; something I hope Hello can achieve in NMS.

I find it interesting and somewhat telling though that Roberts hasn't once given No Man's Sky a shoutout for inspiring that procedural revolution in the two keynotes since they've been introducing procedural content to SC, as if he wants people to believe that Star Citizen did all these things first and in isolation. I like it when game companies can compliment and thank each other, but I get a kind of egocentric vibe from Roberts.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting and somewhat telling though that Roberts hasn't once given No Man's Sky a shoutout for inspiring that procedural revolution in the two keynotes since they've been introducing procedural content to SC, as if he wants people to believe that Star Citizen did all these things first and in isolation. I like it when game companies can compliment and thank each other, but I get a kind of egocentric vibe from Roberts.
NMS didn't invent procedural generation either, nor did I ever hear them talk about something like Space Engine.

This is a bitch eating crackers comment. Especially given that he has talked extensively about other games, for all his faults including his ego, this isn't one of them.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of this looks like No Man's Sky with better graphics. What seems most interesting is that the campaign and story will probably more than just fetch quests for aliens who talk gibberish. The ship systems look way better too. Still, this looks like it's years away from being ready. Like, 5 years at least. The scope is insane.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that it seems like the time and effort put into this seems to be paying off. Hope it stays that way.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Actually they mention other games frequently in many of their interviews and videos.
They also have completely different approach to procedural generation than NMS.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I'm not a backer but I can't wait to see how this turns out, if it ever does. One way or another it's going to be all the talk for quite awhile.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The scope of this game is incredible, they are attempting to create something that dwarfs everything else on the market. I hope they can make it, at the very least I would be satisfied with a good Squadron 42 campaign.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my main problem is that i will never be able to play the online part because everybody already has paid for some insane ships in real money while i will start from scratch
no man sky didn't invent procedural creation and there wasn't really any "procedural revolution" after no man sky came out.
in fact, considering how much of a scam in the end no man sky ended up being, they would not deserve the publicity even if they did somehow revolutionised something

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I try not to think about this game because it's close to my dream game and I'd get upset if I followed it closely and it ended up not working out

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
my main problem is that i will never be able to play the online part because everybody already has paid for some insane ships in real money while i will start from scratch

Hey, playing as a schlub can be fun too! I've only paid for the bog standard tier so I'll be flying my garbage scow of a ship right along with you!

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
So you are saying that you can only play MMOs on launch, otherwise it is not worth it?

Ps. Ships are not levels in theme park MMOs, bigger doesnt mean better. Many of those 'insane' ships cannot even be managed properly by one player.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you are saying that you can only play MMOs on launch, otherwise is not worth it?

Ps. Ships are not levels in theme park MMOs, bigger doesnt mean better. Many of those 'insane' ships cannot even be managed properly by one player.
I don't know,i don't play MMOs usually :P

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
really? are people still trying to push the narrative that NMS was a fucking scam?

Jesus.. so much hyperbole for one game...

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
really? are people still trying to push the narrative that NMS was a fucking scam?

Jesus.. so much hyperbole for one game...

I would bet that when Majukun called it scam he did not actually mean it in literal sense (as in, fraud), but more in how the game was misrepresented before release, which it was.

But it is not fraud since obviously Hello Games keep working on it and making it into the game that was promised. It's just a shame they weren't more honest in marketing.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Scope is insane, not a backer but if it indeed comes out with its vision realized I am in.

The procedural city builder is impressive on a technical level, though I suspect most of those buildings won't have anything meaningful in them. But it makes for some nice eye candy. I find the palette of SC to be a bit grim, cold, and dystopian though, which could get old.

The thing I was most impressed by in the demo was not the city or planet stuff, but the guy standing on the landing deck of that space station, looking out at the planet. It almost gave me that woozy feeling of being really high up, which is something I can't say NMS has ever done. Also being able to see the surface from orbit is really impressive; something I hope Hello can achieve in NMS.

NMS didn't inspire any procedural revolution nor is their aproach comparable. No need for thank yous imo.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So are the two planets shown in the demo actually going to be in 3.0, or was this just a demo of WIP tech?

The demonstration was absolutely incredible non the less. This is really shaping up to be a dream game.

Kiunch

Oct 26, 2017
This game is like a dream, I want it to fulfill all its promises, but I am just not confident about the development.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I wonder when the team will talk more about planets that are primarily filled with Forest biomes?
I would love to see what the engine can do with exotic Flora and even sea life?! Honestly, I just want to be able to fly to a planet and relive Crysis 1 lol.

This is more of a question about the future of the PU, but will sentient alien races that appear in Squadron 42 be a part of the PU? And speaking of Squadron 42, I know that work for that game is happening in parallel, but has the team talked at all about how their technology pipeline differs between the PU and Squadron 42? I see how much of the tech, ships, and feature set of the PU are in constant flux and I wonder how anything for S42 could possibly be completed, or even worked on? It almost reminds me of FFXV. How can you build a game when its technological and content foundation undergo such continuous major overhaul.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
This is more of a question about the future of the PU, but will sentient alien races that appear in Squadron 42 be a part of the PU? And speaking of Squadron 42, I know that work for that game is happening in parallel, but has the team talked at all about how their technology pipeline differs between the PU and Squadron 42? I see how much of the tech, ships, and feature set of the PU are in constant flux and I wonder how anything for S42 could possibly be completed, or even worked on? It almost reminds me of FFXV. How can you build a game when its technological and content foundation undergo such continuous major overhaul.
They share technology and its one of the reason why S42 is getting delayed as the technology to make fully realized is still being developed in some ways.
They also added a lot of stuff to S42, like procedural planets, that were not originally planned due to progresses in SC.
And yes, aliens will be in Star Citizen as well.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Roberts being a painfully self-aggrandizing twit is something you shouldn't find surprising at all, honestly.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody tell me with specifics what can you do so far in the released version of Star Citizen? I have been waiting for this for so long, but haven't backed it, just waiting to buy it and play it. This footage has got me antsy. What can I actually do and play if I buy and get the latest version??

Also, first post on ERA. Hi all!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These demos are always great, but it's been several years now. When will I be able to play this in a persistent world? Not a "module" or whatever hacked up demo they've got going. When will this be an MMO? That's the appeal to the game for me, not the flight mechanics or procedural generation.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody tell me with specifics what can you do so far in the released version of Star Citizen? I have been waiting for this for so long, but haven't backed it, just waiting to buy it and play it. This footage has got me antsy. What can I actually do and play if I buy and get the latest version??

Also, first post on ERA. Hi all!
Check out the first in community OT:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/star-citizen-community-ot-long-term-investment.404/

----
These demos are always great, but it's been several years now. When will I be able to play this in a persistent world? Not a "module" or whatever hacked up demo they've got going. When will this be an MMO? That's the appeal to the game for me, not the flight mechanics or procedural generation.
Fully functional MMO? Its probably one year away or slightly more. This will be 4.0 version.
Playable in reduced multiplayer environment, as servers will be capped to 24 players, in 3.0 thats in closed community testing phase now.
What you've seen on the demo, in 3.1 which is like 4 months out minimum.