• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing about this game has always been that it LOOKS cool, these vertical slices LOOK cool. But where is the game? Will scenes like this ever actually come together in a polished way in a full game? I don't think so. The scope and ambition for this game is 10 times the size of Rockstar games, and they're a veteran publisher with years of experience.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about this game has always been that it LOOKS cool, these vertical slices LOOK cool. But where is the game? Will scenes like this ever actually come together in a polished way in a full game? I don't think so. The scope and ambition for this game is 10 times the size of Rockstar games, and they're a veteran publisher with years of experience.
Answer is quite simple - yes... as long as they will have enough funding to support their studios and alive community that will give them feedback what to change to make game better.
The difference between Rockstar and CIG is that Rockstar works on their games in isolation, where CIG works on their game with the community.
So as long as they have tech and time, and tech is starting to come along, they can make it work.
CIG is playing long game and they dont have to get everything right first time around, at least not for Star Citizen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That city planet is the most impressive thing I've seen so far. I wish landing on the space station was more technical though.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
The gameplay is really good actually.

I gotta be honest, even if it takes another 10 years, it'll most likely still beat all other space games.

Kiloku

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Skeptical isn't enough to describe how I feel about SC.

It is not going to ever release anything more than these tech demos. The feature creep is absurd, the time it'd take is so ridiculous that when they're done with the last parts, the first ones will be obsolete and require more time to be fixed. There is also no game design to speak of, which doesn't help its case much. The delays for even the demos is also very telling.

Kiloku

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The tech demos show nothing game design-wise. It's always a bunch of mechanics slapped together, but there's no balance, no progress on the game state, or even a clear role for each tool available to the player. Lots of "rule of cool" going on though.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The tech demos show nothing game design-wise. It's always a bunch of mechanics slapped together, but there's no balance, no progress on the game state, or even a clear role for each tool available to the player. Lots of "rule of cool" going on though.
If you're the type of person that only watches these demos, then sure. But this isn't a gameplay demo, it is a tech demo. If you want to sample the state of the game itself you have to try the alphas.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I still believe I'll get $45 worth of fun out of this at least. It feels like I have more faith than a lot of the gaming community. Part of me just really wants this type of funding to be viable.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
my main problem is that i will never be able to play the online part because everybody already has paid for some insane ships in real money while i will start from scratch

no man sky didn't invent procedural creation and there wasn't really any "procedural revolution" after no man sky came out.
in fact, considering how much of a scam in the end no man sky ended up being, they would not deserve the publicity even if they did somehow revolutionised something

To me that's missing out on part of the fun of games like this.

I mean if you start from the beginning with already one of the best ships in the game what's there to work towards?

I'd much rather start as a lower tier pilot with an average ship and then go through the game building up my wealth and money to upgrade my ship as I go along and move to other better ships as I progress in the world and storylines.

Plus the people with those really high end ships are in no way going to outnumber the new players or people with lower end ships either. There's still going to be plenty of variety and not all ships as simply "Better" vs others, a lower end fighter might have an advatage over a better ship that's built for transport and not fighting and such for example.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Yo that is absolutely insane. I do hope the game is not all smoke and mirrors but even as a tech demo this is so impressive. The game simply cannot live up to the hype but of course I hope it delivers (it won't tho).

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Fully functional MMO? Its probably one year away or slightly more. This will be 4.0 version.
Playable in reduced multiplayer environment, as servers will be capped to 24 players, in 3.0 thats in closed community testing phase now.
What you've seen on the demo, in 3.1 which is like 4 months out minimum.

With all the respect i can give to those believing in this project i don't think i can expect this 4.0 in one year ..no i'm not saying that it's a scam or anything but for god sake , this project dev time is quite slow. It's unrealistic to expect such a big leap in 1 year. Will it happen at some point ? most likely .. 1 year ?? ..i'm skeptical

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
This is the game that'll make me cave and buy a top tier gaming PC. I thought Destiny 2 was gonna be it, but it just didn't capture the magic of D1 for me.

If this thing ever ships and delivers on a tenth of what they've promised without jank or bugs I'll be there day 1 with more hype than man should ever bear.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm super cautious of 'backing' games, or simply purchasing games that are still in early development.

I've been watching the development of Star Citizen for a few years now, but have never taken the leap.

It's definitely something I'd love to play (especially if things like this are to be in the full release), but how is it now?

Does it have enough content to justify a purchase as it is?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Even if I get Arma in Space out of this, with those levels of detail. I'll be a happy man.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
If this thing ever ships and delivers on a tenth of what they've promised without jank or bugs I'll be there day 1 with more hype than man should ever bear
Depends on what you consider bugs and Jank. Unfortunately, the more complex a game is the greater the incidence of Jank and bugs. It is one of those things we have to live with.
If you're the cautious type then I'd hold off.

Rephin

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm super cautious of 'backing' games, or simply purchasing games that are still in early development.

I've been watching the development of Star Citizen for a few years now, but have never taken the leap.

It's definitely something I'd love to play (especially if things like this are to be in the full release), but how is it now?

I wouldn't. It's really just a tech demo in its alpha stage right now. Hold off until the game is actually real.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't. It's really just a tech demo in its alpha stage right now. Hold off until the game is actually real.

Given the other reply I got, I think I will just hold off and hope I don't meet my demise before the full release.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
How much of this is going to be in Squadron 42?

The tech is amazing and SC looks like the kind of game I've always wanted to play, but I'm not really interested in MMOs. If I'm not mistaken, S42 is going to be more like a game where you just go on sequential missions? I haven't played any Wing Commander games so I don't know. Why can't they just make a version of SC that's a singleplayer open-world game with this tech? Tech-wise this seems to be in a more advanced state than Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky, but those two are actually games you can play right now.j

TMWNN35

Oct 30, 2017
NSW, Australia
Regardless of anyone's view of this project that video shows some pretty incredible technology.

Nobody will be happier than me if this game lives up to expectations, I've not bought in but i will on launch if its good.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

This is precisely my fear, I'm not a backer but I do check in with the game every six months or so. I want to be proven wrong but I can't help but feel that their reach exceeds their grasp.

goldenageoftelevision

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Once again a great tech demo, but its every year the same...they show amazing graphics but no substance or real gameplay mechanics