• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CitizenCon 2947: Exploring New Worlds

Cc_logo.png

Star Citizen celebrates its fifth anniversary with an annual presentation by Chris Roberts. The keynote will focus on exploration: why it's important in the Universe of Star Citizen, and how every person can be a part of it.

There will be multiple mini-presentations and Q&A sessions throughout the day, starting at 6:00 AM PDT, lasting until the keynote at 12:00 PM PDT. In these presentations, we can expect to hear from some of Star Citizen's senior directors and staff. I can only speculate on these topics since descriptions are written from an In-Universe tone, but we'll be hearing about animations and movement, new planets and biomes, different alien races, economic systems, and more!

EDIT: Panels are LIVE now! Watch here: https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen
EDIT: Main Presentation delayed 1 hour
EDIT: Livestream has concluded
EDIT:
Up on Youtube: https://youtu.be/mGcG0g7GsOI?t=1425 - Link starts at gameplay section. Full recap here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citcon-featured-content/16216-CitizenCon-2947-Recap
EDIT: Images and twitch clips below!
EDIT: A solid summary in this gallery -> https://imgur.com/gallery/rr3Qs
EDIT:
Lots of amazing gifs in here; https://imgur.com/a/nPP6K

hoKG5MJ.png

What could we see?

Note: Chris Roberts has not made any grand promises in an interview prior to the show, and we haven't heard any major teases

A new website that should go live during the presentation!

New ships! (surprise!) The Sabre Raven, a dogfighting ship, and the "game changer" Pioneer from Consolidated Outland. The Pioneer is bringing another new mechanic to the game (surprise again!) related to colonization. - Confirmed

Procedural City technology - CONFIRMED, check the images and videos below!

New Environments/Biomes on Planets and Moons, something weather related - CONFIRMED, check the images and videos below!

Another 3.0 demo

Glitches, hardware difficulties, and cringe

UD1LfpF.png

What should we NOT expect?

Squadron 42 will not be shown at CitizenCon this year, they plan to show Squadon 42 on the Livestream in December, with some kind of roadmap

Dates - We got this one right, no dates

Keynote presentation being on time- Pushed back

Good roleplaying - No roleplaying at all this time

vrrWsFW.png

Useful Links:
Official CitCon page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citcon-featured-content/16174-CitizenCon-2947-Details
Our official Org/Guild: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/E503

Myself, I'm looking forward to the inevitable pretty graphics, images and gifs later.
BogusDisastrousAztecant.gif

What DID we see?

Flying around City:
https://clips.twitch.tv/ShortRockyPelicanBCWarrior
https://clips.twitch.tv/YawningRenownedStorkFutureMan
https://clips.twitch.tv/ImportantSnappyHareDuDudu

Planet to Space Station:
https://clips.twitch.tv/TrustworthyFastTireDoubleRainbow

Last edited:

Ryousuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready to be hyped for things not coming before 2 years :x

And I expect the Pioneer to be huuuge

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30 minutes of game crashing and downtime during keynote should be expected. Their last presentation was awful.

Eshayon

Oct 25, 2017
Another capital ship to prepare to randomly crash into another capital class ship. Can't wait for it!!

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They are going to reveal the famous "Game Changer"? Let`s see if they say something about when the 3.0 it`s going to be released...

jaaz

Oct 25, 2017
The game changer is the Pioneer, a base-building ship. Coming soon 2022. :)

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's confirmed, and 3.0 is out and being tested by the early test groups.

Yeah I know that about the 3.0 but i expect a release date during the streaming or at least something like "available in 3 weeks"

Excited to see the Pioneer and what can do.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so did rubberjohnny make his way over? as a casual observer of the project, i always appreciated his input as a counterbalance to the hype.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so did rubberjohnny make his way over? as a casual observer of the project, i always appreciated his input as a counterbalance to the hype.

A lot of his arguments relied on old information that he conveniently forgot to mention. His opinions will not be missed here.

There's plenty to criticize without having to lie.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Hopefully not, or if he does he rethinks his arguments. There are plenty of things wrong with how Star Citizen has gone so far that people don't need to resort to outright lies and misinformation to discredit the project.

That said, I'm hopeful for the state of the game, and I think once they finally show some Squadron 42 stuff it's gonna blow people away.

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
Am I imagining things or did some one mention something about Intel having an announcement at citizen con?

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it. Not nearly as hyped for this presentation as I was for last year's but that's mostly because we've seen a lot of 3.0 this year and I'm ready to start playing that myself. That said, hopefully they'll have a few interesting surprises and gameplay tidbits.

I'd also love for them to have a stream that starts on time and doesn't involve the phrase "That's never happened in any of our playthroughs before..." Not expecting miracles, though. Seriously, why is that so hard for them? Maybe Chris should stop trying to direct things on the fly. That can't be a good way to do things.

I've had my fill of rubberjohnny et al. and could happily go the rest of my life without hearing that particular brand of "just asking questions" again. Hopefully, this place isn't their style.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I think a live demo is appropriate for Citizen Con which is for the community. I do feel like for more press oriented events like Gamescom it should be prerecorded. And less fake team chatter too.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how the vibe of this thread changes over here. I wonder how many of the old guard (both those skeptical of and those that support SC) made it over.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be happy if they show anything cool. I'm pretty much just sitting and waiting at this point.

Agree about the fake team chatter though. That stuff just never sat well with me.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it. Not nearly as hyped for this presentation as I was for last year's but that's mostly because we've seen a lot of 3.0 this year and I'm ready to start playing that myself. That said, hopefully they'll have a few interesting surprises and gameplay tidbits.

I'd also love for them to have a stream that starts on time and doesn't involve the phrase "That's never happened in any of our playthroughs before..." Not expecting miracles, though. Seriously, why is that so hard for them? Maybe Chris should stop trying to direct things on the fly. That can't be a good way to do things.

I've had my fill of rubberjohnny et al. and could happily go the rest of my life without hearing that particular brand of "just asking questions" again. Hopefully, this place isn't their style.

Agreed on every point.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they were talking more about Squadron 42. I don't believe it's the big selling point for most people, but it's what I'm most excited for. I really loved Wing Commander, Starlancer and especially Freelancer, so 42 seems more like my jam.

Still hope they show off some really cool and promising stuff. I haven't followed development too closely, but I feel like exciting news has been...slim(?) lately.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be happy if they show anything cool. I'm pretty much just sitting and waiting at this point.

Agree about the fake team chatter though. That stuff just never sat well with me.
I don't mind them mic'd up but a script is just too much. Never feels natural

Juraash should be getting some S42 info in December

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they were talking more about Squadron 42. I don't believe it's the big selling point for most people, but it's what I'm most excited for. I really loved Wing Commander, Starlancer and especially Freelancer, so 42 seems more like my jam.

Still hope they show off some really cool and promising stuff. I haven't followed development too closely, but I feel like exciting news has been...slim(?) lately.

S42 is the biggest selling point for me too. Honestly, it's the only part of Star Citizen that interests me, and the part that I had in mind when I contributed to the kickstarter. I don't see myself having time or energy to keep up with a PU anyway.

All I want is a good single player space sim in the vein of Wing Commander, X-Wing or Freespace. If they deliver on that, I'm good.

I don't mind them mic'd up but a script is just too much. Never feels natural
I agree. The fake banter always comes across as horribly awkward to me. I get that they're attempting to show what an actual game situation might feel like, but the way it's done always seems so forced. No one talks like that to their friends when playing games unless they're RPing, and most players don't RP. On top of all that, everyone watching knows the players are not actually players, and that the game being shown is a work in progress instead of a full-blown game. So it's a demo where the players aren't fooling anyone, and on top of all that I don't think anyone even wants to be fooled anyway. They just want to see the game. It all feels like an additional layer of... something added to each presentation that no one asked for.

I'd much rather have them drop the whole roleplaying thing and just go "okay, Tom here is going to show us this feature we've been working on" and so on.

Last edited:

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how the vibe of this thread changes over here. I wonder how many of the old guard (both those skeptical of and those that support SC) made it over.

We moved the long-term thread over to a community thread in hangouts here so there's a more laid-back thread for the regulars. Almost all the discussion among the community had moved to discord because people got tired of the conflict. Having the thread frequently bumped to the front page with nothing happening turned it into a battleground.

I'm hoping that we can avoid having things quite so polarized this time around. While lots of us are interested and kicked in funds, it's not like we don't have our own criticism. The timing of the reveal of the Pioneer is a good example - we've been talking about how they're going to take some flak about putting out this new ship with a whole new gameplay mechanic required before 3.0 is out.

Community thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...-management-and-space-cactus-enthusiasts.404/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

News hasn't been that slim, the AtV's are interesting and with the new Burndown segment, it gives us a closer look at the "daily life" at CIG. To a larger extent though, they just haven't shown off anything as hype-worthy as the Gamescom 2016 and to a lesser extent CitizenCon 2016 demos and interviews. We've been waiting for 3.0 since this time last year, so there's nothing really massive to show, as far as we know.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
News hasn't been that slim, the AtV's are interesting and with the new Burndown segment, it gives us a closer look at the "daily life" at CIG. To a larger extent though, they just haven't shown off anything as hype-worthy as the Gamescom 2016 and to a lesser extent CitizenCon 2016 demos and interviews. We've been waiting for 3.0 since this time last year, so there's nothing really massive to show, as far as we know.

My mistake. I get the monthly (I think) emails, so I see some of the things going on. I just don't have a handle on what's actually new or exciting since I kind of just skim the emails from time to time.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The holiday livestream in December is going to be all about Squadron 42. They put it off for this one to focus on 3.0 instead.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
SC has so much potential. I've become so goddamned burned out on Elite: Dangerous—hoping against hope that Frontier games might give a shit—that I just want SC S42 to come out and blow literal minds.

Would be happy to have a legit space sim. on the market, without the BS community of Elite, that actually delivers on some of its promises.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
I backed the project mostly for Star Citizen, but that said, I think everybody is looking forward to more info on SQ42. In the case of SC we see the progress being made all the time, even if we can't actually experience said progress ourselves due to the huge gaps between public releases. SQ42 on the other hand is very much a black box. We might see a super small piece of it here or there, but we haven't had a good look since the original jank-filled intro demo. Of course it's most likely precisely because of the high demand and expectations that CIG is cagey on showing anything to us until it's polished. I really hope December delivers. There will no doubt be a level community blowback no matter what CIG shows, but hot damn is it going to be messy if what they show isn't solid.

At any rate, that's neither here nor there. Right now it's all about the 3.0. And giant manufacturing ships apparently.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

I love the effort they put it, but that was honestly the worst thing they borrowed from mainstream gameplay reveals. I think they did it though because the demo itself was heavily scripted so they needed to follow script in fears they would break something if the progress was out of order.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice technical talk from Ivo here showing off procedural footwork while walking over random objects. It's pretty solid