• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what the extended video shows (I saw a clip of only the spaceship part) is basically the same thing, but instead of covering a ship with a wrinkly tarp, it's also characters with free flowing clothes.

Three cheers.
How could you know what the video shows as you replied in four mins. There's no way you could have watched it.

And people are cheering, because of the they're seeing the various physics models that are going to be used in the game.

Aug 17, 2018
How could you know what the video shows as you replied in four mins. There's no way you could have watched it.

And people are cheering, because of the they're seeing the various physics models that are going to be used in the game.
I skipped through the video and saw the character clothing part at the end.

It was mostly two guys sitting and talking, a spaceship part, and the character trenchcoat part.

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt, for $25 of my cash I don't care.

Money is objective, it's subjective and its tool to be wielded however the fck the person with it wants.

Honestly though once the other "base" streaming systems in place (network, object, physics) then most the other work will come down to those dynamic systems they keep talking about.

Network, Object and Physics are the key pillars they need to get right on the technical front, everything is dependent on them and its why they have been pumping so much time into them. All there "systemic" (aka dynamic systems working together as a whole) talk is hinged on those three technical pillars and they have already gotten object pillar working in the game (but that's the easy part).

Right now the game operates in a "instanced" environment, the real goal is no instanced environment at all and if they can pull that off then they can package that shit and on sell it for stupid money to other developers if they can say "adapt" it to other game engines as a middle-ware solution.

A large scale network based middle-ware solution that handles it all is a damn holy grail at the moment in gaming because while it's stupidly simple by comparison in a single player game it's staggeringly complex on the multiplayer front.

Lots of companies have tried to work it out, I know a certain publisher who has been trying for 15 years to figure it out without success. People obviously don't realize this but most technologies developed in entertainment (whether gaming or movies) has tremendous value worth billions in other industries like aerospace, oceanic, military, media, AI, engineering, etc.

Heck if these guys succeed in making this title I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big publishers bought them outright just to get said technology under their control because the value is huge.

Zambayoshi

Nov 2, 2017
They've done the limited ship sales multiple times. The idea is that they intend to limit how many of the large, truly game changing ships exist on launch day of the game. They could sell as many as they wanted since it is just a digital good as you point out, but they want to have the various ship types be in some form of balance, based on their best guesses and their data of the amount and type of ships their entire backer population owns. So maybe they want 0.01% of the ship population to be the Kraken at most, and thus they set their cap to be that value.

It's absolutely used to create hype as well, but partly used as a game balancing mechanism and also to prevent singular whales from hoarding since there was an invite system along with the waves. The org I'm in had like 2 or 3 people buy them and it's nuts (though one of those was done via donations from a bunch of org members). Will be fun to be in a fleet with it though.

It's going to be a nightmare for CIG. I think once you convert in-game time spent playing to dollars, it is definitely going to significantly cheaper than what it costs today. After all, CIG has said multiple times the primary goal of the ship sales is funding further development and it's not purchasing a ship, rather funding development and getting a ship as a reward. But let's say that an hour of gameplay is roughly converted to $1 in the real world. There's no way in hell they would make people play for 1,400 hours to purchase a Kraken.

I do really, really, really hope CIG goes through on their promises and ends up stopping ship sales once the game launches and explore other ways of making money (whether it's cosmetics, optional subscriptions, etc). If they do that, it's going to be much easier to balance the economy.

It seems in terms of balance they figure out how many of the $1400 ship they can sell and then set the cap to that value. Not 100% sure of the provenance of the stuff below, so take with a grain of salt, but if I wanted to get the most money I could out of a digital product, I'd be doing something similar. I think Sandi has earned her reputation of being a shrewd businesswoman.

vm6zR3N.png

N55Autf.jpg

ojt91gD.png

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped through the video and saw the character clothing part at the end.

It was mostly two guys sitting and talking, a spaceship part, and the character trenchcoat part.
You get that the Star Citizen con had two stages running simultaneously. And the second stage (which this panel was on) were focusing on the various technical aspects of the game. You get that right ?

Aug 17, 2018
You get that the Star Citizen con had two stages running simultaneously. And the second stage (which this panel was on) were focusing on the various technical aspects of the game. You get that right ?
I totally get it. The crowd went nuts watching a plastic tarp on a ship and characters wearing wavy tenchcoats. Lots of talk. Little showing.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I haven't been following any media about this game after seeing the initial ship commercials back in 2012 / 13. I thought it looked pretty cool but I have no interest in MMO's so I never kept up with the actual development. I did however keep following the discussion between the believers and the skeptics which provided a lot of entertainment. So from that perspective the game is already a success. A few days ago a one hour and half gameplay showcase from Citizencon appeared in my suggested video's on Youtube. Curiosity got the better of me but I was not about to watch the entire thing. So I skipped a bit ahead and saw the following. All quotes are paraphrased.

- A ship is flying over a wooded area.
- The ship clumsily lands, audience cheers and claps.
- The guy leaves the ship and chooses his equipment for his adventure, the equipment appears on the model, pretty cool.
- Guy starts walking around. "We are still very early days in development of our planet tech, soon we will have fauna walking around" Okay... "and there's gonna be a dynamic weather system and I'm looking forward to having a dense jungle planet". Why is the planet tech still in early days of development after six years? Shouldn't that be one of the priorities? And it seems like something that requires a lot of work. I guess dynamic weather system is mostly a cosmetic thing and can be implemented later on in development.
- He walks up to a crashed burning ship. "In the current build the fire does not damage you but it will. We will be measuring the heat and over a certain amount you'll get damaged, the fire will also suck oxygen out of the air, it's gonna be systemic. Not just fire also radiation and other hazard types we can think up." Sounds very complex, no wonder they can't show it yet after 6 years. I understand where the feature creep complaints are coming from.
- The guy awkwardly climbs on the ship. "So we have improved our mantling" Audience cheers! "Our locomotion stuff is stage 1 and we're working on it, you'll be able to do lots of stuff!" Traversal is still not finished? Shouldn't this be one of the very first things to lock in? How are your level designers gonna do their job if the traversal system is not in place?
- He walks along the top of the crashed ship and says he's gonna attempt to jump a hole in the hull. "This is like old skool platforming!" He fails. Audience cheers and laughs.
- He slowly walks back the same way up. Yeah the vaulting as it looks now looks slow and boring. He fails again.
- Third time he makes it, audience is going wild!

This is where I switched it off. I hate to throw myself into the fray like this but after seeing only these 10 minutes I don't understand how anyone can be anything but cautious about the prospect of this game ever doing everything the developers promise. I hope I'm wrong, because even though I'm not into MMO's and will never play the game regardless if it releases, a hallmark games like this is always exciting. For now I'm leaning on the skeptics side.
I've been lurking around SC news for a while now, and watched that same video out of curiosity.
While I don't care for their presentations, I realise I'm not their intended audience.
Their intended audience are people who have already made an (significant) investment in the product.
They are trying to show those people how every little detail is progressing. They are being fully transparent and forthcoming with them, and I think that's appreciated.

A lot of these folks probably live and breath this game, and are excited to see it gradually being fleshed out.
I know I'm excited everytime I see an update for Elite Dangerous - there's something very intoxicating about "living a double life in a space sim".

I'm really happy for SC fans, and as an ED player I'm admittedly a little bit jealous of some of the tech/implementation they've shown.
But at the same time, I don't envy SC players for a lot of reasons.
I'm not worried about "boring platforming" or "play to win". Not at all.
But I would worry about how the game's instancing will work, or how "alive" the game will feel.

Those ginormous cities with real-time transport are extremely impressive, and I'd love to take my time just walking around taking them in.
But for various niggling reasons, I'm hesitant to give it a try. I think when judging this kind of game, people naturally do so according to:

Persuasion - how immersed I feel in the game world and how long it maintains the illusion
Benefit - how rewarded I feel from playing the game, both intrinsically and extrinsically
Anticipation - how motivated I feel to keep playing, and what I hope to achieve in my next play session

These aspects are nebulous at the best of times, but it feels like they're particularly difficult to grasp with SC in its current state.

Hayvic

Oct 27, 2017
These aspects are nebulous at the best of times, but it feels like they're particularly difficult to grasp with SC in its current state.

I think you hit the nail on the head in explaining why there is such a large descrepancy between opinions of those who follow faithfully and those who are not invested.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The only way that won't be annoying as fuck in terms of practicality is if there are players and a player run ecosystem everywhere
You mean the train running on time or something? I just meant the train running through the 'full scale' city, but what's the annoying part?