• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Only that you can actual play those F2P games. No one ever complained here that a company makes money with its products.
I haven't spent money on SC or mobile F2P games but if I was going to spend up big, and had to choose between an ambitious project that aims to achieve things most gamers or developers never thought possible but may never be fully realised, and one of a million manipulative mobile F2P games with nothing new to offer than a fresh lick of paint, it's an easy choice.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Did they ever explain how they almost doubled the framerate? seems like wizardry.
Before, every client received from server information about every player and objects they interacted with across entire star system. That tanked the performance for everyone.

Now, when 1st pass of Object Container Streaming tech is implemented, each player only gets updates for players/objects that are relevant [nearby] to him, thus freeing up a lot for performance. They still have to implement OCS at servers, which will hopefully increase performance more.

If this releases in 2-3 years, won't it be pretty dated at that point?
Dated compared to what? Who is releasing similar game to this?

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Before, every client received from server information about every player and objects they interacted with across entire star system. That tanked the performance for everyone.

Now, when 1st pass of Object Container Streaming tech is implemented, each player only gets updates for players/objects that are relevant [nearby] to him, thus freeing up a lot for performance. They still have to implement OCS at servers, which will hopefully increase performance more.

This is amazing to hear, might actually pledge for S42. thanks for the info.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wonder how many of those new investors did a mission, got 90 credits for their significant time investment, looked at the price of some of the ships via in-game currency and said, "you know what? fuck that kind of grind..." and dropped cash?

If this releases in 2-3 years, won't it be pretty dated at that point?
engine is fine and there are very few competitors in this genre.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OCS is amazing. Getting 60fps at 4K and 1440p over 100+ fps.

Star Citizen feels totally different right now, and they are still optimizing it.

GlCNekr.gif
Lol this is a trigger to me. Hands look weird

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
To be clear, Agile is not a software; it's a development philosophy.
I respect what RSI is doing from a design standpoint, but one can't help but think their production structure is a mess.
Game development is super hard, I would know. Missing deadlines is one thing (everyone misses deadlines), but continually failing at task size estimation speaks of a poor development process.

So just throw the Single player game out because it already "took too long"? No Thank you, I don't need a second No Man's Sky.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I would have thought so, at least graphically. Outdone by early next gen exclusives running on weaker hardware. Or in some respects outdone by current late gen exclusives.
I would venture to guess that a game of this scope will propably never hit consoles. Sure some specific thing like mocap, texture work etc might be better in some future game, but it wont be on the same scale so its a useless comparison.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I would venture to guess that a game of this scope will propably never hit consoles. Sure some specific thing like mocap, texture work etc might be better in some future game, but it wont be on the same scale so its a useless comparison.

Yup, outdone graphically on a smaller scoped game ? Sure, probably not that hard to do by now.

But on a game of that scale ? Nah. Definitely not before a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't spent money on SC or mobile F2P games but if I was going to spend up big, and had to choose between an ambitious project that aims to achieve things most gamers or developers never thought possible but may never be fully realised, and one of a million manipulative mobile F2P games with nothing new to offer than a fresh lick of paint, it's an easy choice.

They are selling expensive ships years before the release of the game.

Ignoring the P2W aspects.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel like people calling Star Citizen a scam in a drive by post without informing themselves are similarly annoying as people who are calling devs lazy.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have three figures worth of investment in the game and I think the naysayers have mostly valid points and the defenders sound fairly blind to the game's faults, flaws, and the demo's hilariously boring "gameplay" loop, if you even want to call it that. I backed this project back in the day because I wanted a spiritual successor to Wing Commander not Chris Roberts Presents Endless Train Platform Waiting. The feature bloat on this game is completely absurd and it's absolutely reasonable for people to react to it skeptically and with incredulity. The whole thing is insane.
I don't think most of the naysayers do and most of them seem to be parroted from stuff known trolls have said. Is there some valid arguments regarding SC, yes of course but the vast majority is white noise and drive by shitting especially the people calling it a scam.

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
They are selling expensive ships years before the release of the game.

Sold to people who love to play around and fantasize with everything involving well crafted digital items and worlds. Lego is selling their items for quite the premium to children! No wonder they didn't produce Star Citizen's Hornet in lego form that one time for ethical reasons.

The 32 euros I paid for Star Citizen and Squadron 42 (SQ42 episode 2 was added later on for free for early backers) is not that much for countless hours already given in return in exciting video material, live demos and new releases. It has been a wild ride overall with plenty of highs. Crowdfunding paying monthly wages of hundreds of talented individuals is quite nice form way of trying to revive already once lost genre given the project's humble beginnings.

This was CIG's main studio in 2013...

I cannot give to buy recommendation to Star Citizen's early access yet but Squadron 42 is surely more than even Chris Roberts could have imagined at the beginning. Which is quite a lot.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I always find the back and forth in Star Citizen threads to be interesting. A lot of ppl post about it being a scam and wondering about the psychology of backers/enthusiasts, and so I have two comments on that point.

First, I have very particular interests that this game fulfills in a way that no others do. For example, I love learning languages, and so I've delighted in the online materials for Xi'an. I backed the game for $45, and this is a return on investment that is unprecedented and I'm excited for the potential.

Second, I'm curious as to how the ppl questioning the psychology feel about Clash of Clans and Lords Mobile. I don't like the F2P model found in mobile, but Clash of Clans made almost $1B last year. What are those ppl getting out of those games? What would $45 in purchases get me? Will books be written about ppl who have paid money for a largely shallow experience that has been replicated dozens of times? Are these ppl all crazy/dumb/part of a cult? If Clash of Clans players are having fun, does it really matter?

My point is, maybe don't yuck other ppl's yums so much. There's a whole world out there to see, and who has time to worry about how other people are spending their time and money.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone asking about release dates for both games. This might be able to answer some of your questions.

Deleted member 46568

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 9, 2018
Unprecedented, but crazy.

I hope Squadron 42 actually releases in the near future, I'm much more interested in delving in the single player than the MMO.

Squadron 42 looks amazing and I'm seriously considering fronting up with the $$$ for that. I think with the talent they've pulled in they're going to have to have a polished, timely release or end up looking massively incompetent. I'm still super sceptical about the MMO though.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it so hard to believe?
Because $200m is a ridiculous sum of money compared to, well, literally everything else that has been crowdfunded so far. Add to this that we haven't had a new record breaker in games on KS for a while and, frankly, for a PC-only game that is not complete I do not see numbers like that being realistic in terms of actual cash collected. I mean, if you somehow think that them pretty exclusively marketing to an existing fanbase has netted them growth to get up over 2 million backers (which is a random guess that would be an average of $100/backer, which I consider generous) be my guest but it just is not realistic.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because $200m is a ridiculous sum of money compared to, well, literally everything else that has been crowdfunded so far. Add to this that we haven't had a new record breaker in games on KS for a while and, frankly, for a PC-only game that is not complete I do not see numbers like that being realistic in terms of actual cash collected. I mean, if you somehow think that them pretty exclusively marketing to an existing fanbase has netted them growth to get up over 2 million backers (which is a random guess that would be an average of $100/backer, which I consider generous) be my guest but it just is not realistic.
The thing with this game. Is the high $ number individual backers spend on it. I know a few people that have spent 5k plus on it. And even more over 1k.

I myself have spent $1,059.00 over five years (which is still a insane amount, regardless of how many years have gone by)
What are people spending money on at this point? More in-game ships and cosmetics?
Mainly ships, correct. There aren't that many cosmetics you can buy with real money.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
The thing with this game. Is the high $ number individual backers spend on it. I know a few people that have spent 5k plus on it. And even more over 1k.

I myself have spent $1,059.00 over five years (which is still a insane amount, regardless of how many years have gone by)

I don't question that this project has way more folks pledging way larger amounts than normal. My disbelief is that they have the equivalent of the original 38kish backers all contributing >$2500. That doesn't seem possible.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're contributions to this thread have been invaluable. Bravo.
I don't question that this project has way more folks pledging way larger amounts than normal. My disbelief is that they have the equivalent of the original 38kish backers all contributing >$2500. That doesn't seem possible.
Well at this points there's 2,106,287 individual backers (at time of posting) And i was in the mid 100,000s when i backed 5 years ago.

So when taken in that context. It's noooot that much of a stretch.

But i can see where you're coming from. It's pretty wild stuff. :D

EDIT: I've just been told those are accounts made, and not backers. Sorry.

Last edited:

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Question, my best chance to play the alpha version of the game now, is to buy the $45 game pack? I finally have a decent PC and I'd like to play something new.