• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
So, according to the latest Around the Verse, Cavill wasn't casted to appear in Squardon. He WANTED to be and reach to CIG for it.

And there's still other actors we don't know about. Hopefully it's some POC actors so people will be appeased. There's at least a woman we had a glimpse in one of the panels and i think she's asian but it's hard to judge with just a profile.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, according to the latest Around the Verse, Cavill wasn't casted to appear in Squardon. He WANTED to be and reach to CIG for it.

And there's still other actors we don't know about. Hopefully it's some POC actors so people will be appeased. There's at least a woman we had a glimpse in one of the panels and i think she's asian but it's hard to judge with just a profile.
That's awesome

Last edited:

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
The scope of the persistant universe and how the economics appear to work really put me off. Im getting strong pay to win vibes. This game is looking more like a real virtual life requiring real money/time investment..... hell I only play games for fun. Screw that it is too big for its own good.

I might buy just for the story campaigns if they are good enough. This never ending kickstarter model cloud imperium uses to develop this game just seems like they are liberally sucking cash out of people and throwing it into a project abyss no end goal in sight. Happy to be wrong about all this it is just my impression. If that is what star citizen actually is then they should be more forth coming about it. Is there anything resembling a finished product??

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The scope of the persistant universe and how the economics appear to work really put me off. Im getting strong pay to win vibes. This game is looking more like a real virtual life requiring real money/time investment..... hell I only play games for fun. Screw that it is too big for its own good.

I may buy just for the story campaigns if they are good enough. This never ending kickstarter model cloud imperium uses to develop this game just seems like they are liberally sucking cash out of people and throwing it into a project abyss no end goal in sight. Happy to be wrong about all this it is just my impression. If that is what star citizen actually is then they should be more forth coming about it. Is there anything resembling a finished product??

Well you have the 3.3(4?) in the PTU right now which have made major progress from when it first started.

They have also stated that all major techincal hurdles are now passed, which is a huge feat.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
They have also stated that all major techincal hurdles are now passed, which is a huge feat.

They've said a lot of things.

The proof will be in the pudding. The only thing I believe at this point is what they actually put out and what the reception is among people who aren't loyalists.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They've said a lot of things.

The proof will be in the pudding. The only thing I believe at this point is what they actually put out and what the reception is among people who aren't loyalists.

Well they have put out quite a bit when it comes to tech right?

It is on the content side that is lacking afaik.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Well you have the 3.3(4?) in the PTU right now which have made major progress from when it first started.

All major technical hurdles passed for Squadron 42, not SC. SC still has the very large technical hurdle of netcode / server meshing. Even with OCS fixing the framerates you're still only talking dozens of people per universe and the goal is a single shared universe for everyone.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Announced in 2011, and the best they've managed in 7 years is buggy tech demos and the odd carefully scripted trailer.

The game as promised is literally impossible to make.

Should have stuck with making Squadron 42.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All major technical hurdles passed for Squadron 42, not SC. SC still has the very large technical hurdle of netcode / server meshing. Even with OCS fixing the framerates you're still only talking dozens of people per universe and the goal is a single shared universe for everyone.
I'm fairly certain it will be instanced to a degree

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Announced in 2011, and the best they've managed in 7 years is buggy tech demos and the odd carefully scripted trailer.

Legit question. Why do you think SC as promised is impossible.
If you want a fun read, this is entertaining.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Reviews-E776546.htm

See if you can spot the ones that HR/Chris Roberts wrote himself. One of the more negative ones was written by my friend shortly before he quit..
Yeah. That's i thought it's like at CIG, in regards to management. Unfortunately.
Gaming's longest con
Got anything else of actual substance to add. Or just an unimaginative shit post ?
I value these threads bc they're a siren song for paternalistic Resetera posters that I need to ignore. With every new thread, my Resetera experience gets that much better.
LOL. I just can't help myself, and never put anyone on ignore.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a fun read, this is entertaining.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Reviews-E776546.htm

See if you can spot the ones that HR/Chris Roberts wrote himself. One of the more negative ones was written by my friend shortly before he quit..
That's depressing, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the negative reviews were true. I've worked at a place that was managed like shit, complete with meetings from higherups encouraging us to write positive Glassdoor reviews to "counter the negative ones that are hurting our ability to recruit good talent", and the Glassdoor for that place looked similar. Plenty of negative reviews with a few inexplicably positive "the work is hard but that's what you gotta do to be ~the best in the industry~" ones peppered in there.

I wouldn't call SC a scam, but it's clear that there are questionable management decisions and attitudes at work there. I also find their almost gacha-style monetization practices rather distasteful, though it's clearly raking in money for them. Hopefully one day they will release a decent and full-featured game. I did back it, and I hope that SQ42 is at least decent.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's depressing, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the negative reviews were true. I've worked at a place that was managed like shit, complete with meetings from higherups encouraging us to write positive Glassdoor reviews to "counter the negative ones that are hurting our ability to recruit good talent", and the Glassdoor for that place looked similar. Plenty of negative reviews with a few inexplicably positive "the work is hard but that's what you gotta do to be ~the best in the industry~" ones peppered in there.

I wouldn't call SC a scam, but it's clear that there are questionable management decisions and attitudes at work there. I also find their almost gacha-style monetization practices rather distasteful, though it's clearly raking in money for them. Hopefully one day they will release a decent and full-featured game. I did back it, and I hope that SQ42 is at least decent.
From looking in from the outside for all these years. All those Glassdoor reviews true. (imo) Though that could be confirmation bias on my part.

George c

Dec 1, 2017
Well looks like they just made $260,000 in 1 hour so that's on track to beat a million in 4 days.

The kraken hype is real .

E72MPwp.png

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Am I correct in saying that this might be the single biggest pay to win game in existence?

How can a guy that buy the standard edition can ever hope to compete with a guy that fork out thousands and thousands of dollars to buy fancy big ships when the game is out? Except than to match his expenditure, I guess...?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I correct in saying that this might be the single biggest pay to win game in existence?

How can a guy that buy the standard edition can ever hope to compete with a guy that fork out thousands and thousands of dollars to buy fancy big ships when the game is out? Except than to match his expenditure, I guess...?
I'm hoping post release. They'll find another funding model, and would be fine with a monthly sub. Seeing as Star Citizen is a mmo.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

No nothing about this is "pay to win" or even "pay to have an advantage.

This is the common thing repeated and again from a point of not understanding how the ships work. Ships are role based there is no blanket purchase that makes a particular role easier to play by yourself. The larger more expensive ships aren't something to work up towards. They are different gameplay types entirely. The smaller ships can be flown by one to three people. The larger ships can take any where between five and eighty people to man. The more expensive ships also have higher upkeep cost, more expensive to stock/repair/rearm and if you lose the ship they take an extremely long time to get back even on expedited claim.

So the "standard" guy won't ever be competing with the guys (or Org) managing a ship which makes the comparison moot. The scenario you are trying to equate is solo play versus group play.

The ship most recently mentioned is the Kraken. It takes ten people to man and that is not including the pilots needed for any ship that lands on it. The kraken can hold eight ships, six small and two medium size.

Is a Solo player or even two friends going to be doing missions that requires a larger ship like this to do?

NO

And if you play by yourself or in a smaller group why would you even want something like this?
Well looks like they just made $260,000 in 1 hour so that's on track to beat a million in 4 days.

Something, something, "Funds tanking", something, something..

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
No nothing about this is "pay to win" or even "pay to have an advantage.

This is the common thing repeated and again from a point of not understanding how the ships work. The larger more expensive ships aren't something to work up towards. They are different gameplay types entirely. The smaller ships can be flown by one to three people. The larger ships can take any where between five and eighty people to man. The more expensive ships also have higher upkeep cost, more expensive to stock/repair/rearm and if you lose the ship they take an extremely long time to get back even on expedited claim.

So the "standard" guy won't ever be competing with the guys (or Org) managing a ship which makes the comparison moot. The scenario you are trying to equate is solo play versus group play.

The ship most recently mentioned is the Kraken. It takes ten people to man and that is not including the pilots needed for any ship that lands on it. The kraken can hold eight ships, six small and two medium size.

Is a Solo player or even two friends going to be doing missions that requires a larger ship like this to do?

NO

And if you play by yourself or in a smaller group why would you even want something like this?

Something, something, "Funds tanking", something, something..

I see, that's interesting. But isn't the group players and the solo players share the same universe? So there is a possibility for the former to, say, bully the later if they chose to do so?

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I see, that's interesting. But isn't the group players and the solo players share the same universe? So there is a possibility for the former to, say, bully the later if they chose to do so?

With the aforementioned cost associated with running larger ships, it is totally possible for a carrier to go after smaller ships, but totally unlikely for people who aren't trying to be trolls. The larger ships are meant to go after other larger ships. Even if someone wanted to use the Kraken for piracy going after a solo player makes no sense at all. They would go after larger cargo, mining, or reclamation ships. Maybe even start an org war between other cap ships.

And that is only talking about a fighting role. Multicrew mining, refuel, cargo, trade, exploration, repair, medic and science ships are in no position to bully other ships because of their role. They maybe could but chances are they would loose far more than anything gained if anything can be gained at all.

Alot of the design boils down to paper, rock, scissors, and the result should be a logical battle. Solo players may encounter smaller pirate ships though. That is another situation entirely. Thankfully we have a request system that is in current PTU that allows other players to post jobs and requests for other players for a fee. When more mechanics get added this is going to get pretty busy I am sure.

TLDR; A guy in a cheap solo mining ship will have totally different goals and be totally different content than someone with a massive ship. Also won't be economically worth it for them to bully small ships, there will be police (UEE or local force) in game to prevent griefing in most human space.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
With the aforementioned cost associated with running larger ships, it is totally possible for a carrier to go after smaller ships, but totally unlikely for people who aren't trying to be trolls. The larger ships are meant to go after other larger ships. Even if someone wanted to use the Kraken for piracy going after a solo player makes no sense at all. They would go after larger cargo, mining, or reclamation ships. Maybe even start an org war between other cap ships.

And that is only talking about a fighting role. Multicrew mining, refuel, cargo, trade, exploration, repair, medic and science ships are in no position to bully other ships because of their role. They maybe could but chances are they would loose far more than anything gained if anything can be gained at all.

Alot of the design boils down to paper, rock, scissors, and the result should be a logical battle. Solo players may encounter smaller pirate ships though. That is another situation entirely. Thankfully we have a request system that is in current PTU that allows other players to post jobs and requests for other players for a fee. When more mechanics get added this is going to get pretty busy I am sure.

TLDR; A guy in a cheap solo mining ship will have totally different goals and be totally different content than someone with a massive ship. Also won't be economically worth it for them to bully small ships, there will be police (UEE or local force) in game to prevent griefing in most human space.

I see, thanks for the detailed explanation.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, few stuff you mentioned on GAF that were impossible to make, now are playable. They are doing it and i know that you can see it, so do not understand the negativity.

I mean i understand that doing impossible is extremely frustrating and not all people will agree to push it and would prefer to go with easier or proven solutions, but this one in the lifetime opportunity to pull off something crazy ambitious and thats a good thing in stagnant AAA world.
Of course when doing such a projects there will be always mistakes and problems with focus, but i think recently their vision is very clear and quarterly releases really help them sustaining the goals and not be overly ambitious in estimating features per release.

Last edited:

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, few stuff you mentioned on GAF that were impossible to make, now are playable. They are doing it and i know that you can see it, so do not understand the negativity.

I mean i understand that doing impossible is extremely frustrating and not all people will agree to push it and would prefer to go with easier or proven solutions, but this one in the lifetime opportunity to pull off something crazy ambitious and thats a good think in stagnant AAA world.
Of course when doing such a projects there will be always mistakes and problems with focus, but i think recently their visions is very clear and quarterly releases really help them sustaining the goals and not be overly ambitious in estimating and features per release.

He did? That is sad to have to move the goal post all the time to fit ones narrative.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It'd cost a fortune to man a carrier to go after like a Constellation, unless there was a very important reason they needed to, I don't see it happening.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I already know about the mock commercials for ships.

What I meant is that a good chunk of the last gameplay presentation felt like they were showing off the ship to potential costumers and 1400€ a piece, I see why.
In the gameplay presentation the only moment they showed Kraken was close up on it parked in the city, if you do not count showing off commercial before demo and then again when demo crashed to keep the audience busy.
In real presentation the window peak on Kraken took only 30 second segment out of 90 minutes.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the gameplay presentation the only moment they showed Kraken was close up on it parked in the city, if you do not count showing off commercial before demo and then again when demo crashed to keep the audience busy.
In real presentation the window peak on Kraken took only 30 second segment out of 90 minutes.

Then it wasn't the Kraken then, there was that ship that they keep shoving into your face, the one that comes to the rescue. Like "look, mounted gunners" and "look how many guns", "look how cool it is" etc...

They only showed the ship for a few seconds during the gameplay presentation and answered a few questions on ship shape. They did not use a good chunk for the ship. Show me where they spent 10+ minutes talking about the ship in the 6+ hour long presentation showing off tech and gameplay.

Maybe it wasn't the kraken, my bad, but they board another ship and then ride it for several minutes, showing it off with quite detail, it was like watching a car salesman trying to sell the car to a costumer.

Last edited:

cyress8

Avenger
I already know about the mock commercials for ships.

What I meant is that a good chunk of the last gameplay presentation felt like they were showing off the ship to potential costumers and 1400€ a piece, I see why.
They only showed the ship for a few seconds during the gameplay presentation and answered a few questions on ship shape. They did not use a good chunk for the ship. Show me where they spent 10+ minutes talking about the ship in the 6+ hour long presentation showing off tech and gameplay.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017

This is not the single p2w game in existence but the best at doing it without having a huge backlash for it. At least, 90% of the backers seem so willing to do it.

cyress8

Avenger
This is not the single p2w game in existence but the best at doing it without having a huge backlash for it. At least, 90% of the backers seem so willing to do it.
Take the $700 Hammerhead they just started selling. It has huge turrets on all sides, but the thing is worthless to a solo pilot. You cannot shoot a single turret without leaving the pilot seat to man a turret which leaves you a sitting duck to even the damn Aurora (a $35 starter ship). You need man power to fly the big ships and at release that will cost money or getting your friends playtime in sync to use them.

Last edited:

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
It's hilarious that people like Zambayoshi will masquerade themselves as impartial observers, the bastions of rational thought, who conduct thought experiments on where SC will be 6 years from now. People like him, who have spent years of their lives dedicated to talking shit about a game they don't like, who have coordinated together to spread their nonsense across multiple forums, have doxxed developers and once harassed Chris Roberts' wife so much that she had to leave twitter, will try and paint people just excited for a game to come out and watch it be developed as irrational. Now I'm not saying Zambayoshi himself has done any of that, but certainly there is a group of people who love to paint themselves as impartial while trying to do everything they can to discourage both backers and developers, and even spouses I suppose from enjoying a game.

Zambayoshi will say he's an impartial observer. but if you look he's done nothing but post FUD that has been disproved everytime he's posted. He just posted that funding is "TANKING" when there is no evidence to support that, year over year, there's a slight drop of less than 5%, and the CitizenCon drop is explained by them not opening up the very anticipated capital ship "The Kraken" up for sale to the backers yet, while last year they sold an $750 ship without wait. As I wrote before, CIG brought in numerous very well known companies as sponsors during CitizenCon. And last but not least, funding isn't an issue because CIG operates as a live company, meaning they plan based on how much money they're bringing in per month, per year, and plan based off that. If funding was really "tanking" and once again, it's not, with CIG having one very consistent thing very well that everyone can agree upon, which is raising money, one can assume they're prepared for it.

As for release dates, CIG has hit their quarterly patch dates this year for the most part. They delivered OCS and bind-culling on time, Hurston is delayed by a few weeks but the release dates have stuck, their putting new content into the game every 3 months and the community is enjoying it, playing the game a lot more regularly.

Now about Zambayoshi saying CIG produces mundane tech, I mean, I think Durante would disagree about the quality of work they've put into the game so far. And if Durante is impressed by the work they're doing, I think most people would take his word over someone who just posted something ridiculously off-base in his last post and now again has just posted a clear lie.

You can see that Zambayoshi is clearly lying when he says that fans say CIG "invented" OCS, when we posted an extensive interview by CIG developers in our own OT saying they didn't invent the technology that OCS is, they're expanding on the tech that OCS is based on, by delivering a universe over a network and the complexity comes within the scale, nesting and having to transmit this all over the network with persistence working for all players.

An IMPARTIAL OBSERVER would probably know something about that, but Zambayoshi is not impartial at all. He wants to see this game's demise, just as much as this community wants its to succeed.

Also, some people are excited about realistic horse testicle simulation in RDR2, all the power to them, maybe I think that's quite a mundane detail ;). People who follow Star Citizen will naturally be more interested in the technology side of things based on the deep dives we get into the development and all the technical hurdles they've had to overcome, and continue to overcome.

I don't paint myself to be an impartial observer, I don't have to lie to anyone. I want to see this game succeed, my friends play this game, some of my friends work on this game, this is the only game I see having the potential to be the dream game that we as a community and even the development team always wanted. I don't think this is a scam, I don't think progress is too slow, I don't think that CIG is milking me or the community, I don't think there's feature creep. I don't encourage anyone to back the game unless they're willing to lose the money they put into it, to try and support the game, wait until it's done. Nobody is perfect, they've made mistakes in the past and will do so in the future just like any video game company will, there will be more missteps. I'm disappointed deeply with the lack of diversity in Squadron 42, I would love for both games to be magically finished up and delivered today, and everyone would love the development to go faster ~ especially CIG.

But I'll quote Zambayoshi here : "Desperation can lead to delusion and defensiveness." and I think based off the money that CIG is raising and the things they're accomplishing, only one side here is getting desperate. Probably the one that posts misleading graphs about funding taking, but I'll leave that up to whoever's reading this to decide. All the while, please do feel bad for us poor, vulnerable, manipulated backers who will continue to plough money into this game even 10 years from now or something like that.

That first paragaraph is probably the grossest thing i've seen on gaming side, in a while. Trying to lump him in with doxxers is bullshit. you really should edit it.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I can't get my head around where this money is coming from. Like, who keeps funding the game with such huge volumes of cash?

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
I can't get my head around where this money is coming from. Like, who keeps funding the game with such huge volumes of cash?

You. If you in example have ever ordered something from the internet or bought anything at all.

Some people enjoy well crafted digital space ships which are tied to the game world aswell since quality of both requires the other to be at certain quality standard. Of course all began from once lost game genre and dreams but no one today is competing with CIG's game or digital items created in this space.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's not how the game works. A guy alone with a fancy big ship cannot do anything.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's not how the game works. A guy alone with a fancy big ship cannot do anything.
I've heard that some players actually pool their money together for the big ships. You can't pilot them alone after all so they form a group and plan to play together. Further down the line I expect there will be plenty of people joining orgs just to "serve" on a bigger capital ship or be one of its fighter pilots (piloting their own fighter or one given to them by the org). EVE Online players do something similar. One way to get into null sec is to join a corp and be given a ship to participate in the pvp warzones.

Then there are some people who spend a lot of money on figurines, or model trains, etc. They are just fine dumping that money on a ship even if all they can do is look at it in their hangar.

Jun 1, 2018
I've heard that some players actually pool their money together for the big ships. You can't pilot them alone after all so they form a group and plan to play together. Further down the line I expect there will be plenty of people joining orgs just to "serve" on a bigger capital ship or be one of its fighter pilots (piloting their own fighter or one given to them by the org). EVE Online players do something similar. One way to get into null sec is to join a corp and be given a ship to participate in the pvp warzones.

Then there are some people who spend a lot of money on figurines, or model trains, etc. They are just fine dumping that money on a ship even if all they can do is look at it in their hangar.
Its not possible to "put" ingame credits into an org though right?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You cant think of this thing in regular terms. What applies more than typical crowdfunding is this is basically an MLM scheme designed to recruit 'whales', give them status, and then get them to recruit for you. That's why tremendous effort and money is spent on the advertising and sales side of this thing. Its a giant circular money-making system, with overpriced ships and other fancy 'elite' status symbols used as symbolic progression steps through the levels. All the while its janky as fuck because they are never able to get a handle on the feature bloat and Roberts is probably a gigantic micro-manager which im sure makes every dev working on the team thrilled. You can almost feel their pain during the stage presentations. Great thing for this process though is the whales are so far in now it's basically their job to promote and speak good of it, because it's now too big to fail, which is actually the best shot it has at actually approaching something called finish in a few years.

Jun 1, 2018
You cant think of this thing in regular terms. What applies more than typical crowdfunding is this is basically an MLM scheme designed to recruit 'whales', give them status, and then get them to recruit for you. That's why tremendous effort and money is spent on the advertising and sales side of this thing. Its a giant circular money-making system, with overpriced ships and other fancy 'elite' status symbols used as symbolic progression steps through the levels. All the while its janky as fuck because they are never able to get a handle on the feature bloat and Roberts is probably a gigantic micro-manager which im sure makes every dev working on the team thrilled. You can almost feel their pain during the stage presentations. Great thing for this process though is the whales are so far in now it's basically their job to promote and speak good of it, because it's now too big to fail, which is actually the best shot it has at actually approaching something called finish in a few years.
This is wrong on so many levels.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually really accurate. MLM comparisons are pretty vast with this thing.
Nothing about your post is accurate. Study the history of production of this game, starting at beginning when crowdfunding campaign was not the main source of funding.
Also you really need to get check how games in actual development, not finished state, look like.
Also great that you are calling development status updates advertisement...

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about your post is accurate. Study the history of production of this game, starting at beginning when for example kickstarter campaign was not the main source of funding.
Also you really need to get check how games in actual development, not finished state, look like.
This post has me scratching my head a bit, for many reasons, but you know what, you all are right, i was completely wrong. Carry on.

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing about your post is accurate. Study the history of production of this game, starting at beginning when crowdfunding campaign was not the main source of funding.

If the status updates aren't advertising, then what are they? How else do you think they're getting new players? With each new update they rile the fans and get them talking, which brings in others who wonder what it's all about. Do you honestly think these updates are only for the fans and aren't used to attract more people?

cyress8

Avenger
If the status updates aren't advertising, then what are they? How else do you think they're getting new players? With each new update they rile the fans and get them talking, which brings in others who wonder what it's all about. Do you honestly think these updates are only for the fans and aren't used to attract more people?
All devs on this site. Stop letting us know what you are doing completely. It is considered advertisement and therefore bad.
Really? Talking about content for your game is bad now?

I would like you to answer why would a game not advertise itself? I would like to know why that is bad.