• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Y'all forgetting the true MVP :

Star_Ocean_Blue_Sphere_Game_Boy_Color_box_art.jpg
Never have had the chance to play it. I've even played some SNES SO1 but never this. How is it? Maybe someday I'll import it.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
lots of things would be cool, but as far as I have read, things have been too good at tri-ace and currently they're just doing the Star Ocean Anamnesis gacha game. I don't know if they're working on any console game and given the precarity of tri-ace as well as the Japanese gaming market being predominantly mobile, I don't see a lot of hope for them unfortunately. But I'd love to be proven incorrect obviously :-)
Are they not involved with VP gacha?

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Never have had the chance to play it. I've even played some SNES SO1 but never this. How is it? Maybe someday I'll import it.
It has been fantranslated in english, spanish and french back in 2011 IIRC. Played it emulated on my GP32, I remember really liking it but I'm not sure about my tastes back then (it was 2011 and I still had a GP32)

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Ocean 1 was good, but Second Story is one of the best RPGs of all time. Let's get a remaster of that one.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Dorne's new design is pretty neat. Glad to see he hasn't skipped leg day. That guy was as lazy as a rock in the original.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, especially when you remember that 80s and 90s anime wasn't any better in leg fanservice. Some people may even call it worse, as the go to outfit for it was a leotard. Either that, or bloomers.
Not to mention the non-hentai anime that had full frontal nudity, I dont even think you can have those type of anime anymore

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
TFW all console Star Ocean titles will be playable on the PS4 in the West -except the one that actually matters

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
So I tried out that gacha game, Star Ocean Anamnesis, and if you ever wondered how the SO1 protagonist looks like as a 3D model made by contemporary tri-ace:

F50YjqM.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As weird as it sounds, Claude C. Kenny sounds fairly normal. Roddick Farrence, feels perfectly fine too. Roddick not being human but a cat person also helps because earthly human naming conventions aren't needed for alien races. Rena Lanford is a nice name, but can also feel too normal since she's not human as well but sort of Elf like. But I'd take things like Claude, Roddick, and Rena over what they've been doing since Star Ocean Till The End of Time

Edge Maverick, reckless and at times rebellious because of his strong sense of right and wrong.

Fayt Leingod, fated to be the next in line to become God.

Fidel Camuze I dunno what to think of it, but he's not from Earth at least, so I dunno. I also know nothing about the game since I never bought Integrity and Faithlessness and don't know his character or the plot.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So there is going to be a cross over with the Tales of mobile game and the Star Ocean one.
They showed Rena there and god I hope they with that design if they ever make a Second Evolution R.
Left: PSP version. Brr... Right: Her design in the Tales X Star Ocean mobile cross over.

olhfIXI.png

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Dinner dinner dinner!

Just kidding. Something new could be cool.
I'm sorry I'm missing the joke with "dinner" : P.
lots of things would be cool, but as far as I have read, things have not been too good at tri-ace and currently they're just doing the Star Ocean Anamnesis gacha game. I don't know if they're working on any console game and given the precarity of tri-ace as well as the Japanese gaming market being predominantly mobile, I don't see a lot of hope for them unfortunately. But I'd love to be proven incorrect obviously :-)
Hoping adding the switch in the mix for port(s) of Star Ocean help a bit in some way and that we at least see a good amount of ports of their greatest games.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I'm sorry I'm missing the joke with "dinner" : P.

Hoping adding the switch in the mix for port(s) of Star Ocean help a bit in some way and that we at least see a good amount of ports of their greatest games.
You just mentioned original Tri-Ace games so I couldn't help but think of this infamous scene from Infinite Undiscovery.

Yeah it would be neat if this Star Ocean port will lead to ports of some of their other games. Especially the first VP.

So there is going to be a cross over with the Tales of mobile game and the Star Ocean one.
They showed Rena there and god I hope they with that design if they ever make a Second Evolution R.
Left: PSP version. Brr... Right: Her design in the Tales X Star Ocean mobile cross over.
Its going on right now! I got the cross over characters in both games. :)
Second Evolution art is so bad...love the new artwork though!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

olhfIXI.png

Second Evolution Rena is the worst goddamn design. She looks like she's ten years younger than Claude.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Second Evolution Rena is the worst goddamn design. She looks like she's ten years younger than Claude.
I really hope not that when First Departure R comes out they just bring over the Second Evolution port that is available on the JP PSN.

I would love an R makeover as well, but honestly that seems like a bit of a waste. They should take advantage of the models that they've been developing for SOA (with a couple touch-ups here and there) and make a remake. It would be cool if they could flesh out the second part of the game more and make it less of a big fetch quest to get big strong for the final battle.
L O L, I don't remember that scene at all. I did the second half in japanese only though I think.

I would totally buy a port of IU !
I admire your bravery! Real talk though...I would probably buy it too. Just let me pause to use items and I'll get though it again somehow.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Oh.... yes, the items, what a predicament it was.
Also I'd like them to remove the petrify (?) status effect from that specific cave later in the game...

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
it's much better than the loli version of the PSP release, but there is something off with her face.

She still basically looks like she's got toddler face, despite her body looking more like her actual age.
So, Second Evolution art is really bad but I kind of wanted to comment on this just a bit because its worth bringing up.

Second Story is defiantly an old game so I don't really blame anyone for making the mistake, but its worth mentioning that Rena has always had baby face, not to mention she is a young character.

Here she is in Second Story:
latest

This is her main character art, followed by her appearance in Second Stories' version of the animated cutscene right before the end. The more confident attitude and the more overall pleasing art style of the left image might make her seem a bit older, but she is still clearly supposed to be a young character.

Here she is in the Star Ocean 2 anime, Star Ocean EX:
lMDhAlI.png
H7FkINQ.png

And here she is in the official Star Ocean Second Story manga by Elemental Gelade's Mayumi Azuma (she also became the character designer for Star Ocean: Blue Sphere):
51CNSHBM9TL._SX302_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rena was 17 in Second Story, which I think may have been changed to 18 in Second Evolution. Either way, face to body observations are probably not too appropriate. The art of Second Evolution was just ascetically displeasing, that is all.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, Second Evolution art is really bad but I kind of wanted to comment on this just a bit because its worth bringing up.

Second Story is defiantly an old game so I don't really blame anyone for making the mistake, but its worth mentioning that Rena has always had baby face, not to mention she is a young character.

Here she is in Second Story:
latest

This is her main character art, followed by her appearance in Second Stories' version of the animated cutscene right before the end. The more confident attitude and the more overall pleasing art style of the left image might make her seem a bit older, but she is still clearly supposed to be a young character.

Here she is in the Star Ocean 2 anime, Star Ocean EX:
lMDhAlI.png
H7FkINQ.png

And here she is in the official Star Ocean Second Story manga by Elemental Gelade's Mayumi Azuma (she also became the character designer for Star Ocean: Blue Sphere):
51CNSHBM9TL._SX302_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rena was 17 in Second Story, which I think may have been changed to 18 in Second Evolution. Either way, face to body observations are probably not too appropriate. The art of Second Evolution was just ascetically displeasing, that is all.
In all of these pictures, she looks her age. In Second Evolution, she looks like she hasn't had her period yet.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I never realized until I saw her original design that there was such a difference...
latest

latest
That's my problem with the PSP First Departure redesigns, they look so generic. Sometimes redesigning an old character to fit modern standards ain't a good thing. The thing I liked about the OG Star Ocean designs was how unique they looked. To me, it's a shame when you take an original design with character and downgrade it to be "like everything else". I hate garden-variety bullshit!

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Yeah! I usually don't complain about redesigns and stuff like that, but I so hate her PSP design. Might be because Rena was one of my first videogame crushes when I was younger.

here's the Anamnesis version that they've been using - if they ever update SO2 the way they've updated SO1's character art, this is what we can expect:
I love the art in Anamnesis! She looks so much, much better.
Really hope they'll stick with that style.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember taking forever to beat Star Ocean 1 on my PSP over a decade ago. I enjoyed the battle system then.