• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
never played star ocean 1 or 2. i know the series takes a nosedive immediately afterwards, but i think i'll give it a shot now that it's on switch.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sort of related but how much better/worse did SO4 The Last Hope ran on PS3 vs 360? I know the 360's resolution in battles was barely above standard resolution (something like 520p) but how did ya the 1 year later port to PS3 fare in comparison?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that 3 was mostly well received, saved for the "twist" towards the end, which generally divides fans?
That's correct. The twist at the end is just weird. And it's the reason we only get prequel games because they consider SO3 to be the end of the timeline.

EDIT: It's still a really great game though with a ton of things to do.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I played 3 back on the PS2, I pretty much didn't like anything that wasn't the combat (fuck the MP death tho). Didn't like the characters, didn't like the world. It was just a bore-fest.

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
i thought so too. 1 and 2 are also classics in the genre from my understanding, and 3 being divisive is a pretty big step down.

Nah SO1 is kinda mediocre and the remake doesn't really fix the obnoxious backtracking you have to do. SO2 fixes some of the problems and isn't nearly as linear, but it hasn't aged very well. SO3 was only poorly received by SO2 fanboys. It did better than SO2 both critically and commercially.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i thought so too. 1 and 2 are also classics in the genre from my understanding, and 3 being divisive is a pretty big step down.
Yeah nah. SO2 and 3 are the classics. SO1 is good too but the rest is piss. SO3 isn't divisive nowadays after people had over a decade to digest that one plot twist.

Mar 4, 2018

SO2 is like FF7 of this series and the fanboy of that game are as agressive as FF7 fanboy so Obviously you will see any game after that get divisive not to mention SO3 had much more sale compare to SO2 , more sale = more people => more opinion

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah nah. SO2 and 3 are the classics. SO1 is good too but the rest is piss. SO3 isn't divisive nowadays after people had over a decade to digest that one plot twist.
Ehhhh... I still think the ending was really weak and dumb. And I still don't see how a game couldn't be made after those events either.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The quality of the Star Ocean games is directly proportional to the name of their protagonists. Observe:

1: Roddick Farrence
2: Claude C. Kenny
3. Fayt Leingod
4. Edge Maverick
5. Fidel Camuze

I would riff and explain, but looking back at the list, I think it says more than I ever could.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The quality of the Star Ocean games is directly proportional to the name of their protagonists. Observe:

3. Fayt Leingod
4. Edge Maverick
5. Fidel Camuze

I would riff and explain, but looking back at the list, I think it says more than I ever could.
Rena is best SO2 protag, Claude is a lil poser. Fin. Ignoring the fact that SO2 has a female protagonist is also lame AF.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

3. Fayt Leingod
4. Edge Maverick
5. Fidel Camuze

I still can't believe that Edge Maverick is the name of the protag for a Star Ocean game and not a Mega Man X game.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess this is a good indicator the second one based on the PSP version will eventually arrive in the west.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone in here that doesn't like star ocean 1 can you tell me what you hate so much about it? Because I've just watched some gameplay videos on YouTube and I think it looks great

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone in here that doesn't like star ocean 1 can you tell me what you hate so much about it? Because I've just watched some gameplay videos on YouTube and I think it looks great
It was a so-so game but was a technical marvel during the SNES release. It's not hate but rather disappointed that they chose this before 2 which was the best game in the series. Hey maybe they're saving the best one for last

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first art looks like whoever does the in-game character art of the Tales games. Never knew their name.
I don't know the specific artist for the anime cutscenes and inserts, so I just tend to call the art "Production I.G.". Tales series has collabed with Production I.G. for generations (at least up until Xillia), so it's easy to recognize. And the Star Ocean PSP remakes did go with Production I.G. too for the animation and inserts, which I didn't really like. All the characters wound up looking so painfully generic. And I don't know why either Tri-Ace or Production I.G thought it was a good idea to remove just about all of the detail from the character designs.
The characters on First Departure/Second Evolution seemed to be made primarily by the animation team with the cutscenes as the primary focus.

The main animation character designer (and seemingly the main designer in general since they don't list a separate one in the credits) on First Departure is Tokuyuki Matsutake, a veteran animator who worked on hundred of shows, and as Nanashrew said, worked on the Tales series inside Production I.G. for many years. His style is really, really good and works wonderfully for animation but for a game that previously had very distinct designs his (and the rest of the team's) redesigns ended up being too simplistic presumably because they didn't want it too be too taxing on the animation team. In the case of Second Evolution the animation character designer is Kiyoshi Tateishi who is also a veteran animator with a lot of work under name.

Personally I won't put the blame on them for me disliking the designs because that was something that both Tri-Ace and S-E approved of, they wanted to look like this otherwise they wouldn't accept it. Maybe they wanted SO to be more like Tales of? I think that was a bad decision on their part.

Last edited:

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I like the game, but the combat in the original blew and the remake made some questionable choices with forcing SO2's framework back onto 1.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
SO2 is like FF7 of this series and the fanboy of that game are as agressive as FF7 fanboy so Obviously you will see any game after that get divisive not to mention SO3 had much more sale compare to SO2 , more sale = more people => more opinion

SO2 is not the FFVII in that franchise. That would mean it is the most popular.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Is it one of those rpgs with combat that's so easy that you never have much reason to use any of your tools or abilities?
It's easy to cheese the mechanics late in the game (which isn't different from tbe later games), but the real issue is the combat system itself. Moving your character around in combat is done by bringing up a cursor and clicking where you want them to go, rather than just pressing in a direction like the later games. It's incredibly clunky and the only positive tradeoff is you can click the cursor on an ally to get your character to guard that ally.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to cheese the mechanics late in the game (which isn't different from tbe later games), but the real issue is the combat system itself. Moving your character around in combat is done by bringing up a cursor and clicking where you want them to go, rather than just pressing in a direction like the later games. It's incredibly clunky and the only positive tradeoff is you can click the cursor on an ally to get your character to guard that ally.
Ah I see, is there any post game stuff super boss etc that you can do after you finish the game or before you finish it

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
How to know a JRPG is remade for 2019 in two easy steps:

STEP 1: is there at least one main female character wearing a mini skirt and thigh high stocking/socks?

STEP 2: there's no step 2
lol wtf, her design is totally tame. Not to mention the game barely has any fanservice for what I remember.

Meanwhile Dorne "New" design:

9WPe7wbSEctDIvB0qyiVlihgrdUFvxUCD3XcOnZv0569cL1JnrMVtvMlCNDXrtuJPhS4Q1l7zOSnaFTj.jpg

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I was under the impression that 3 was mostly well received, saved for the "twist" towards the end, which generally divides fans?
3 is a bit weird. It had a very troubled development cycle leading to an initial release in Japan with tons of bugs. This was before patches and dlc of corse so a fixed Director's Cut was sold later as a separate game. However, 3 did the best in terms of sales outside of Japan.
Ehhhh... I still think the ending was really weak and dumb. And I still don't see how a game couldn't be made after those events either.
I suppose you meant you don't see how a game could take place after those events. The SO universe is totally fine at the end of SO3. Considering that the Pan Galactic Federation is gone there is the potential for lots of interesting stories. My pie in the sky is a game that takes place after SO3.

SO2 is not the FFVII in that franchise. That would mean it is the most popular.
I'm pretty sure SO2 is the most popular by far.

Edit: It would be nice if this R version had cheats like those recent FF rereleases. The encounter rate in First Departure is really ridiculous considering how much backtracking there is in the game. It's also really easy to miss the Bunny which is your only way to avoid this. Even then, you get it pretty late (and only if you try recruiting a specific character).

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I played the PSP version and the games okay but nothing special. Its many steps below 2 and 5 for sures though. The special moves kinda suck, have missable upgraded versions, and in general compared to other games take way more grind/usage to be stronger. The last act of the game also feels kinda tacked on to. Games only like 20 hours long so even with that section the game doesn't overstay its welcome. Overall SO FD is a "its there" kinda rpg. Not remarkable but not bad. If ya like rpgs its decent filler. They really need ta jack up the world map movement speed cause its really awful. That and making the Bunny accessible regardless of whether ya recruit a certain character or not.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With this coming stateside and hopefully SO2 I can only hope that some of the Tales of games that never made it over will follow.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
3 is a bit weird. It had a very troubled development cycle leading to an initial release in Japan with tons of bugs. This was before patches and dlc of corse so a fixed Director's Cut was sold later as a separate game. However, 3 did the best in terms of sales outside of Japan.

I suppose you meant you don't see how a game could take place after those events. The SO universe is totally fine at the end of SO3. Considering that the Pan Galactic Federation is gone there is the potential for lots of interesting stories. My pie in the sky is a game that takes place after SO3.

I'm pretty sure SO2 is the most popular by far.

Edit: It would be nice if this R version had cheats like those recent FF rereleases. The encounter rate in First Departure is really ridiculous considering how much backtracking there is in the game. It's also really easy to miss the Bunny which is your only way to avoid this. Even then, you get it pretty late (and only if you try recruiting a specific character).

No it isn't lol.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Wait, am I wrong? I always thought people liked SO2 the best. Which one is the most popular then?

I mean, there is a collaboration event going on now between the Japanese version of SOA and Tales of the Rays and I think its pretty telling that the characters that came to the Rays are Claude and Rena.

Lots of people here speak very highly of SO2 at least, while criticizing all the other games which makes me supper sad. ;_;

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Wait, am I wrong? I always thought people liked SO2 the best. Which one is the most popular then?

I mean, there is a collaboration event going on now between the Japanese version of SOA and Tales of the Rays and I think its pretty telling that the characters that came to the Rays are Claude and Rena.

Lots of people here speak very highly of SO2 at least, while criticizing all the other games which makes me supper sad. ;_;

Popular isn't tied to like. It is tied to notoriety.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I like Star Ocean because it's just Star Trek: Away Missions: The RPG

And Picard is a catgirl or something

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

SO2 is probably the most consistantly liked in terms of how it is talked about, while SO3 has people being more vocal for/against it since its just that kind of game where people have strong feelings about it.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Correct. The PSP remakes of First Departure and Second Evolution were developed by TOSE Inc.

Then the PS4/PSV JPN release of SO2 was by GemDrops and produced by tri-ace's Yoshinori Yamagishi (who left tri-ace in 2017).

I imagine that they're outsourcing this remaster too, since the art states "Original version by tri-ace". They did the same with Valkyrie Profile's mobile port with the trademark saying "Original version by tri-ace" when the port was being outsourced by another company (can't remember which one exactly).

Which makes me wonder what tri-ace is up to besides making content for Star Ocean Anamnesis.
Labyrinth no kanata, End of eternity...-like new game with very original systems and world building.
That would be awesome.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Labyrinth no kanata, End of eternity...-like new game with very original systems and world building.
That would be awesome.

lots of things would be cool, but as far as I have read, things have not been too good at tri-ace and currently they're just doing the Star Ocean Anamnesis gacha game. I don't know if they're working on any console game and given the precarity of tri-ace as well as the Japanese gaming market being predominantly mobile, I don't see a lot of hope for them unfortunately. But I'd love to be proven incorrect obviously :-)

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lots of things would be cool, but as far as I have read, things have been too good at tri-ace and currently they're just doing the Star Ocean Anamnesis gacha game. I don't know if they're working on any console game and given the precarity of tri-ace as well as the Japanese gaming market being predominantly mobile, I don't see a lot of hope for them unfortunately. But I'd love to be proven incorrect obviously :-)

They did work on Xenoblade 2 and remastered Star Ocean 4 and Resonance of Fate whilst working on Anamnesis.