• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
And I'm out... that's the second time today I'm interested in a jrpg and they pull this shit (well, "shit" for me), the other being that new SaGa game. I just want to start and finish my jrpgs and move on, there are WAY too many games these days to be replaying games I'm sorry. Good for those that like that tho.
Both Jrpgs you mention can be played once and enjoyed fully? not sure what you mean

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see that in lieu of creating a new opening animation or maybe even just reusing the old one they now have a spliced together (with footage from cutscenes) opening with a new song that is not as good.

A bit disappointing but oh well. Everything else seems good.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
God dammit. I thought they would add in lower cases to main character names. It was the one thing that irked me about the PSP ports and it seems so simple to patch in and fix. Seeing "Hey, we have to go this way, RODDICK!" takes me right out of any dialogue the game has.

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I forgot this was coming out, and bought SaGa Scarlet Grace yesterday!

Still getting this though, as I've been looking forward to it for ages, any tips for a new Star Ocean player? I've read the first page...I'm not new to JRPGs though.

Also, how frequent are save points, and what is the difficulty like?

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait to dive in after the weekend.... SO is one of my favourite JRPG franchises and I hope we see SO6 with decent budget for next gen.

Everyone support this.. it's a good game and also will lead us to SO2 for the west.

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so I've started playing, and I can already tell I'm going to love this. The old style pixel art is amazing!

But where on earth does it tell you how to do battles? There's no tutorial, and I've googled looking for Star Ocean controls or the original manual...found nothing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone who's played this tell me:

does it have the original, goofy, morphing crafting system from the original SO2, or the way shittier one from recent games? I miss my morphing 3D models that can either spoil or surprise you about whether your crafting is successful or not.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
And I'm out... that's the second time today I'm interested in a jrpg and they pull this shit (well, "shit" for me), the other being that new SaGa game. I just want to start and finish my jrpgs and move on, there are WAY too many games these days to be replaying games I'm sorry. Good for those that like that tho.

I mean... this game isn't new.... it's SUPER old. so when "they pull this shit" you mean like.... forever ago?
remember this ad?

Also can we take a second to remember that a freakin' star ocean game got a TV commercial... wow. Square RPGs really took the world by storm that gen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... this game isn't new.... it's SUPER old. so when "they pull this shit" you mean like.... forever ago?
remember this ad?

Also can we take a second to remember that a freakin' star ocean game got a TV commercial... wow. Square RPGs really took the world by storm that gen.

Amusingly, Square and Enix weren't merged yet at that point. Sony published Star Ocean 2 in the US.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing and the soundtrack is already making me super nostalgic. Love that PS2/PSP era Sakuraba sound.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Sorry, I forgot to reply to this yesterday.

You do level up in the traditional sense and characters learn most of their spells/techniques after certain levels. There are SFT skill tomes throughout the world that unlock more powerful variants of these techniques. Also, the more you use a technique, the stronger it gets.

When you level, you also gain skill points to use on innate attributes such as using a knife or artistic talent. These can be turned into specialties and crafting skills once they're leveled up. You can a small number of skill points per level but some specialties like Train can help you gain more per level. You'll easily have enough skillpoints to max every single skill by the time you finish the post game dungeon.
Very informative, thank you! I just bought it. Looking forward to it.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I love the new (uh, old? New old?) Japanese cast, except for Millie, who I think is the only one with a vastly superior PSP voice.

I changed Roddick's name back to his original Japanese, Ratix, so the subs wouldn't be as jarring.

Looks great, even on an HDTV. Way better than I expected.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Can someone who's played this tell me:

does it have the original, goofy, morphing crafting system from the original SO2, or the way shittier one from recent games? I miss my morphing 3D models that can either spoil or surprise you about whether your crafting is successful or not.
It has SO2's crafting system. It's just as broken too. Which is great because that's how I prefer it. 1-3 are great in that regard (though 3 is just a little bit more obtusely designed).

I hate how in 4 and 5 they really restrict what you can make for long periods of time, so much so that by the time you can make cool stuff its honestly not that much of an improvement on the stuff you can just buy.

Very informative, thank you! I just bought it. Looking forward to it.
Really pay attention to those SFT skill tomes. You can do some really cool stuff with them.

This version doesn't have the PSP versions opening. My disappointment is immense.
The new song is ok but the original First Departure opening is sooo good in my opinion. I'm a bit disappointed too. I'd imagine it's a licensing issue. They changed the opining song for the Japanese PSN release of SO2 Second Evolution as well (though in that case they didn't change the whole flow of the opening too by shoving in cutscenes from all over the game).

I love the new (uh, old? New old?) Japanese cast, except for Millie, who I think is the only one with a vastly superior PSP voice.

I changed Roddick's name back to his original Japanese, Ratix, so the subs wouldn't be as jarring.

Looks great, even on an HDTV. Way better than I expected.
I just got home from work. I'm thinking I'll check out the new-old voice cast as well. I'm thinking I'll probably settle with the original First Departure (man, this is weird) cast because that's what I'm used to hearing in JP Anamnesis.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I'm really enjoying this, but also wish they changed the all caps nature of names too. NPCs aren't all caps, its just weird

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, didn't notice this game had an OT. Picked the game up because I enjoyed it very much on PSP, and the premise is super interesting. Missed it so much. ^^

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
I'm assuming the two versions are identical or is there some kinda PS4 Pro support to help with 4K screens?

Also whoa playing this on Switch currently it actually has proper analog movement unlike the Final Fantasy remasters!

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Alright, I'm thinking for this first playthough I'm just going to go with the flow. I'll pick however I feel like without thinking too much and take whatever I get with item creation without save scumming. Let's see how this goes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It has SO2's crafting system. It's just as broken too. Which is great because that's how I prefer it. 1-3 are great in that regard (though 3 is just a little bit more obtusely designed).

I hate how in 4 and 5 they really restrict what you can make for long periods of time, so much so that by the time you can make cool stuff its honestly not that much of an improvement on the stuff you can just buy.

Nice. Does it still do the goofy morphing 3D models?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I don't think it has that part. I haven't created anything yet, but unless they put it back in, those 3D models weren't in these psp rereleases. If that's the part you were asking about, I should have said no in my first response.

Dang, that was the best part of the old crafting system.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Ok, so, uh, how do the battles work? I'm just mashing A to attack while the other characters move around based on whatever tactic I've set.

Do you just mash A all the time? Can you block? I see that you can set skills to L and R. What am I missing here?

How I miss the era of instruction manuals.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Ok, so, uh, how do the battles work? I'm just mashing A to attack while the other characters move around based on whatever tactic I've set.

Do you just mash A all the time? Can you block? I see that you can set skills to L and R. What am I missing here?

How I miss the era of instruction manuals.
The L and R Skills are Range Dependant on you and the enemy
L Far
L Close

R Far
R Close

Also based on that response, I'm assuming this is your first SO game, keep in mind you can miss out on certain optional playable characters if you obtain certain other optional characters

It's really the only thing I don't like about SO 1-2, and constantly drives me to guides online

Last edited:

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
The L and R Skills are Range Dependant on you and the enemy
L Far
L Close

R Far
R Close

Also based on that response, I'm assuming this is your first SO game, keep in mind you can miss out on certain playable characters if you obtain certain others

It's really the only thing I don't like about SO 1-2
Got it. There are two attacks per L and R.

This is my first SO game (rented SO2 for PSX back in the day—obviously have no recollection of any details), so I'm a bit baffled by the battles. Are you actively supposed to dodge attacks? Or is it like FFXII or Xenoblade where you're going to get hit no matter what? I'm a bit lost on exactly what the heck is happening.

Also, regarding playable characters, I'm going in blind so whatever happens, happens.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Got it. There are two attacks per L and R.

This is my first SO game (rented SO2 for PSX back in the day—obviously have no recollection of any details), so I'm a bit baffled by the battles. Are you actively supposed to dodge attacks? Or is it like FFXII or Xenoblade where you're going to get hit no matter what? I'm a bit lost on exactly what the heck is happening.

Also, regarding playable characters, I'm going in blind so whatever happens, happens.
I would give details but I've only played the Original Star Ocean for the SNES, I'm not familar with the indepth combat of the remakes actually
But if its like the original, you are going to get hit no matter what

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Alright, I'm gonna be that person and ask how this is as an entry point to the series for a first timer?

I love a sci-fi RPG, and I really love a short RPG.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I totally missed that this is coming out. Awesome! I still have some other games to play but I can't wait to finally play SO1 after I only played SO2 and 4. Didn't like the latter that much.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Bought this last night and played around 30 mins. It's decent so far but I can't possibly make any initial impressions.

I think Star Ocean 1 and especially 2 has got such a charm that really props the series up in a sea of 16-32bit RPGs.
Motoi Sakuraba had a great hand in creating this real comforting, yet grand setting - I'd definitely recommend playing this game with the music on - even if you're playing in bed, or while watching TV etc. Plus, the assets they use for buildings etc have a real identity to them (very similar to the Tales of series).

I'll probably blitz through this before xmas as it's a fairly short, linear experience, and I really, really hope SE bring the Second Evolution over to the Switch at some point next year, as that improved in virtually every aspect.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at screenshots, I really wish they'd have added HD fonts to the game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I'm gonna be that person and ask how this is as an entry point to the series for a first timer?

I love a sci-fi RPG, and I really love a short RPG.
Star Ocean being sci-fi is the biggest scam a JRPG has ever attempted. You'll spend most of your time on the ground visiting standard fantasy towns

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
SO3 was my first SO and I actually liked it a lot, plot twist and all. I've been meaning to go back and play the first two games for years and just never got around to it. I suppose this is probably as good of an opportunity as any.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Not having regular fonts is actually a good thing. It clashes with the art direction most of the time. I guess they could have added an option but having the original PSP font is for the best

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Not having regular fonts is actually a good thing. It clashes with the art direction most of the time. I guess they could have added an option but having the original PSP font is for the best

That's a good point in a lot of remasters they use a different font which is jarring for me