• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Star-Ocean-First-Departure-R-9.jpg

What is Star Ocean: First Departure R?

Star Ocean FDR is an updated remake of Star Ocean 1, which was initially released on the PSP. The PSP game was itself a remake of an SNES/Super Famicom game. It is the first game in the Star Ocean series, a sci-fi JRPG franchise which takes much of its inspiration from Star Trek.

What makes this version better than the PSP game?

First of all, the art has been updated to match the original Super Famicom character designs, rather than the redone character designs for the PSP remake. Here, behold:

Star-Ocean-First-Departure-R-character-design-switch.png

Second, you can choose between English and Japanese voice tracks. There are also two Japanese voice tracks - one with the voice acting from the PSP remake, and an entirely new voice track, recorded using the original actors from the Super Famicom game. In total, there are three different voice tracks to choose from!

Third, it is now in HD.

Fourth, the remaster also includes the ability to speed up movement on the world map, as well as additional combat balances.

Story

Star Ocean takes place in S.D. 346 (A.D. 2432) of the space era, which began long ago when Earth first took to the star ocean by using warp technology. The game starts on the underdeveloped planet known as Roak, mainly inhabited by the Fellpool race, who are still unaware that there is other sentient life in the universe. A trio of childhood friends—Roddick, Dorne, and Milly—go about their ways and protect their hometown, the small village of Kratus, from bandits as usual. However, Milly's father Martoth leaves after receiving news that a mysterious plague threatens the nearby town of Coule. As the town healer, he hopes to help the victims, who are all turning to stone.

Main Cast

Roddick Farrence

latest

A young Fellpool from Roak, Roddick guards his hometown alongside his childhood friends, Millie and Dorne, until a plague threatens their peaceful lives. In a desperate attempt to find a cure, Roddick and his friends have a fateful encounter with travelers from another world...

Millie Chliette

latest

Roddick's childhood friend. She is the daughter of Martoth Chliette, the hometown's healer, and as such, she is proficient in healing symbology herself. Millie accompanies her friends on their quest to find a cure for the plague.

Dorne Murtough

latest

Dorne is a Fellpool from the village of Kratus, on the Muah Kingdom. He is a friend of Roddick and Millie since childhood, and defends the village along with them in the Kratus Brigade. As time passed by, he started to develop feelings for Millie, which turned into slight jealousy of Roddick, as he has the idea that something is going on between the two.

Ronyx J. Kenny

latest

He is the captain of the ship Calnus, and arrives on Roak with his first officer, Ilia Silvestri, in order to save the inhabitants from a mysterious plague. He is taught symbology by Millie, becoming the team's resident offensive mage. Ronyx later becomes the father of Claude C. Kenny, one of the two protagonists of the game's more well known sequel, Star Ocean 2.

Ilia Silvestri

latest

Ilia is Head Science Officer of the starship Calnus, and Captain Ronyx J. Kenny's subordinate and right-hand woman. Ilia is an extremely intelligent and skilled martial artist. She is like an older sister to Roddick.

In addition the main cast, there are several optional characters that you can recruit.

nAjt1Cm.jpg

C8ZDZIG.jpg

However, be wary that by recruiting one character, you may cut off access to another. The only way to experience every character's story is to replay the game multiple times.

Why would I replay a story-driven RPG?

Much of the story is told through Private Actions. A Private Action is an optional mechanic, where the party splits up upon entering a town or a city. Inside the town or city, you can find and talk to the members of your party, and there are several story events between different characters. Depending on who you recruit, you may get to learn entirely new things about each character, and the world at large.

Ok, how long is it?

About 20-30 hours, on average. Not too long at all.

How much does it cost?

$20.99/£16.99. Digital Only.

Should I get this game if I liked Star Ocean 2?

Absolutely - it's a shorter, more compact experience, but still very much like its brother game.

Should I get this game if I didn't like the other Star Ocean games?

It is nothing like 4, if that's what you're worried about. The writing is much more like a straightforward JRPG - it was originally an SNES game, after all. It does, however, have its signature sci-fi twist.

I personally really like this game, and believe it one of the two good Star Ocean games, alongside Star Ocean 2. I can't wait to experience it with the updated art and traditional Japanese voice cast.

What platforms is it on?

Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch. Again, it's Digital Only.

When does it come out?

December 5th, 2019. You can pre-order it on PSN, but not on Switch - for whatever reason.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I played the PSP remake and enjoyed it way more than I thought it would. It's actually way less sci-fi than I anticipated

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember really liking what I'd played of the PSP version but not finishing it so this re-release is a good opportunity to do so.
I also remember liking the designs but I like these new ones even more.

recorded using the original actors from the Super Famicom game
I'm impressed that had voice acting.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! Going to give it a try as SO2 is one of my favorites games and the game that made me buy a PS1. Does this game has item creation like SO2?

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I still have a copy of the psp version that I never played sitting on a shelf somewhere. Guess I should give it a chance one of these days.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Keen to try this, always loved the idea (sci-fi and fantasy) of the series and it's name but Integrity & Faithlessness made me want to vomit. If this grabs me then I'll try the others.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
My first question is how does it compare, story and character interaction wise (ex private actions), to 2 on the PSP?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they shipped the PSP remake with the artwork it had. They all look like fucking sketches!!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing this version on my PSP but I broke it and never finished. Pretty straightforward, still like SO2 the best, but it's not bad.

Put the game on PC, you cowards!

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I remember playing this on PSP. It actually had better production value than 2 on PSP for being a total remake.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I know the art is more faithful to the original, but I liked Ronyx and Ilea's PSP design better.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
LOVED the original on PSP. One of my defining experiences on that portable. It was just long enough and such a good appetizer for 2nd Evolution.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
However, be wary that by recruiting one character, you may cut off access to another. The only way to experience every character's story is to replay the game multiple times.

Why would I replay a story-driven RPG?

Much of the story is told through Private Actions. A Private Action is an optional mechanic, where the party splits up upon entering a town or a city. Inside the town or city, you can find and talk to the members of your party, and there are several story events between different characters. Depending on who you recruit, you may get to learn entirely new things about each character, and the world at large.

And I'm out... that's the second time today I'm interested in a jrpg and they pull this shit (well, "shit" for me), the other being that new SaGa game. I just want to start and finish my jrpgs and move on, there are WAY too many games these days to be replaying games I'm sorry. Good for those that like that tho.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, optimal path is three playthroughs to recruit all nine optional characters (required to get all video/voice files which I assume will be part of the Platinum trophy).

No new game plus or difficulty features unless they're added to FDR.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Never played any of the series before. I can't seem to find it anywhere on the eshop to preorder though. Is it available for preorder yet?

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
nAjt1Cm.jpg

C8ZDZIG.jpg

and believe it one of the two good Star Ocean games, alongside Star Ocean 2
Glad these got used. I stitched them together on my phone while on a five hour bus ride.

Also I believe you mean to say one of the three good Star Ocean games including the one true king Star Ocean 3.

My first question is how does it compare, story and character interaction wise (ex private actions), to 2 on the PSP?
SO1 is more run-of-the-mill compared to SO2 but still rather lovable. The main characters aren't as relatable as Claude and Rena, but they are good and enjoyable vehicle for the story. A lot of the most interesting stuff in the story comes from the other recruitable characters and following their storylines. The private action are pretty good too. Overall, perhaps not the most mind blowing thing but definitely get it if you want to experience all of Star Ocean.

I know the art is more faithful to the original, but I liked Ronyx and Ilea's PSP design better.
I think the psp designs are quite charming. I still prefer the new art but I was actually I fan or the psp art for SO1. SO2 on the other hand is another story.

Give me ALL of the Enami Katsumi art please.
Here's some more counting us down to the release.

Can't wait to play SO5-But-Good.
You can find some fun in SO5, but you really have to work for it. A lot better on the higher difficulties that you can't even select until you've beaten the game at least once. I would indeed rather be playing this than that though.

Have they said if there are any differences between the two platforms?
I don't believe they have. Honestly they haven't talk about the game that much in detail.

Never played any of the series before. I can't seem to find it anywhere on the eshop to preorder though. Is it available for preorder yet?
It doesn't seem like there is a pre order option for Switch at all.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Awesome OT, can't wait to jump it.

Just an aside but it's always nice seeing the release date in the OT.

Has the trophy list been posted by chance?

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's more accurate to the original but I prefer cool adult Iria to cute Iria. The PSP design screamed mature Federation officer while the original and this one scream cute girl not wearing pants for some reason

Either way, the art looks great and I love this game so I'm 100% in

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I find the character designs a bit meh based on the art above (though better than the PSP ones shown), but I haven't played a sci-fi JRPG since the first Xenosaga, so there's that. I still the HD sprites look weird, but the game looks colorful enough.

Tempted to pick up now and not wait for a sale more to support getting SO2 out here, but I probably will wait anyway.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm guessing this is going to drop out of nowhere on Switch since it's nowhere to be found on the eShop.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm out... that's the second time today I'm interested in a jrpg and they pull this shit (well, "shit" for me), the other being that new SaGa game. I just want to start and finish my jrpgs and move on, there are WAY too many games these days to be replaying games I'm sorry. Good for those that like that tho.
To be fair, Star Ocean games have always had the private actions mechanic.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing this on PSP about 9 years ago. I remember I taking me quite a while and having to grind. Maybe I just sucked at it.

It was a fun game but too long.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very interested in this game but worried that it will be archaic and obtuse.
Nah, it's a real time action RPG with pauses only for casting magic and using items; nothing is really obtuse. I mean, learning the range for the mapped character abilities might be iffy at first, but nothing annoying. I dabbed in the PSP version a few months ago and it still handles well.

My concern is whether or not everything else included in this is worth it over playing the PSP version.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm a sucker for RPGs, so I'm probably going to grab this at launch. Hopefully it's not too difficult to choose a voice track.