• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Does this game have a traditional leveling up system? Do characters auto-learn spells/abilities or is there some kind of skill tree?

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
And I'm out... that's the second time today I'm interested in a jrpg and they pull this shit (well, "shit" for me), the other being that new SaGa game. I just want to start and finish my jrpgs and move on, there are WAY too many games these days to be replaying games I'm sorry. Good for those that like that tho.
For what it's worth, you can easily get a full experience on your first run. The private actions are optional and more like side stories. I myself only played the game once and enjoyed who I got the first time around.

For example, if you look at the character portraits above, there's a teal haired laughing guy in the top row and an old man with a beard on the bottom. You can only get one of those two in your party. I chose the old man last time and enjoyed the game. If you want to go through and try it again with different characters then the option is there, but it doesn't feel like an incomplete experience if you don't.

I love the private action system but most of them are vignettes that add extra character backstory.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Mentioned this in another thread, whilst the game is decent, I'm mainly buying it to support and help port over SO2 which is easily one of the best jRPGs from that era

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks for the OT. I like the early SO games, will pick this up in the hope that SO2 follows.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think i'll bite. Have always been interested in the first two start ocean games, so this seems as good a time as any. We have any word on switch performance yet?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I already pre-ordered this, I hope it'll mean that SO2 will come to the West with updated art as well.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for the cave of seven stars? I'm rocking Roddick, Welch, Millie, and Catface but can't take more than a hit or two before dying.

I've gone through customizing to get the best non-elemental weapons I can get, smithing for anti-petrify gear, rings of might and berserk on all the melee, etc. Still, something feels missing.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
When does this come out? Does the switch version come out the same day as well as ps4?
nvm seen the stuff above my bad lol.

Last edited:

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So going by this stream from TGS the game has a new theme song, any one know the title or artist? Sounds kind of like Tackey & Tsubasa, but I'm not sure. Not as good as Heart, although I guess the band that did it must not have been too popular since I've never been able to find anything else by them lol.

Lawd, I remember laughing my ass off when I saw the credits because he was listed as Dick Smallberries Jr in the PSP version.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Conflicted about this. I don't really like First Departure but I love Second Story so part of me wants to get this just to support the possibility of Second Story being released but I dunno if I wanna spend 20 dollars just to do that haha.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019

Welch, alone as always.

Almost there, getting excited.
Does this have a lvl 255 cap like the others? And crafting as well?
Unless they changed something for this version, which I doubt they did, the level cap is indeed 255. Crafting is in too and you can make some pretty broken and fun stuff relatively fast if you look at a guide.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Conflicted about this. I don't really like First Departure but I love Second Story so part of me wants to get this just to support the possibility of Second Story being released but I dunno if I wanna spend 20 dollars just to do that haha.
What's so bad about it that you don't like it without giving spoilers? I've never played it and wondering if I should get it

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
What's so bad about it that you don't like it without giving spoilers? I've never played it and wondering if I should get it

I just didn't like the story or characters. Gameplay wise it's fine although a bit on the short side (which i understand could be a positive for some people but I prefer longer rpgs).

Last edited:

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm hoping LRG picks this up as physical and if not, will buy digitally. Own the PSP versions too.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Does this game have a traditional leveling up system? Do characters auto-learn spells/abilities or is there some kind of skill tree?

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this yesterday.

You do level up in the traditional sense and characters learn most of their spells/techniques after certain levels. There are SFT skill tomes throughout the world that unlock more powerful variants of these techniques. Also, the more you use a technique, the stronger it gets.

When you level, you also gain skill points to use on innate attributes such as using a knife or artistic talent. These can be turned into specialties and crafting skills once they're leveled up. You can a small number of skill points per level but some specialties like Train can help you gain more per level. You'll easily have enough skillpoints to max every single skill by the time you finish the post game dungeon.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone who has played the game before look at the trophy list and give an opinion on the difficulty of achieving the platinum trophy?

Trophy List
Three playthroughs (have to beat the game with each of the nine optional characters and can only recruit 4 per game), a couple of missable sidequests/private actions for The Adventure Continues trophy. The most challenging trophies will be the Cave of the Seven Stars and Gabriella fights. After that, you'll just have two easier playthroughs. No New Game Plus to speed things up though.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Three playthroughs (have to beat the game with each of the nine optional characters and can only recruit 4 per game), a couple of missable sidequests/private actions for The Adventure Continues trophy. The most challenging trophies will be the Cave of the Seven Stars and Gabriella fights. After that, you'll just have two easier playthroughs. No New Game Plus to speed things up though.
Cool, thank you so much.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thank you so much.
No problem! I may be wrong, but you may need to get all of the SFT books on a single playthrough. One of them is tied to recruiting a specific character that I didn't get in my first playthrough. When I get back to it, I'll try recruiting them and see if the trophy pops.

Minor spoiler for one book:
don't recruit Phia the first chance you get. When she tries to join your party the second time, you'll get one of the skill books.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
No problem! I may be wrong, but you may need to get all of the SFT books on a single playthrough. One of them is tied to recruiting a specific character that I didn't get in my first playthrough. When I get back to it, I'll try recruiting them and see if the trophy pops.

Minor spoiler for one book:
don't recruit Phia the first chance you get. When she tries to join your party the second time, you'll get one of the skill books.
Is it possible to get all the sft books without consulting a guide? I'm guessing not based on your tip.

Thanks for all the info.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Grrr, I won't be able to play for another 7ish hours.

What party are you guys going for on your first run?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
For what it's worth, you can easily get a full experience on your first run. The private actions are optional and more like side stories. I myself only played the game once and enjoyed who I got the first time around.

For example, if you look at the character portraits above, there's a teal haired laughing guy in the top row and an old man with a beard on the bottom. You can only get one of those two in your party. I chose the old man last time and enjoyed the game. If you want to go through and try it again with different characters then the option is there, but it doesn't feel like an incomplete experience if you don't.

I love the private action system but most of them are vignettes that add extra character backstory.

and I'm back in

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in love with Star Ocean 2 & 3. Never cared for 4. And never played 1.

Will I like this?