• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
About two hours in so far and quite enjoying it. I only dabbled with the S. Famicom version waaaaaaay back briefly, but have played and enjoyed SO2+3, but this is my first proper play of SO1.

I think what I'm enjoying most is how quickly it moves. To compare, DQ11 kind of threw me off given how much it felt like it was wasting time over-emphasizing or embellishing plot elements for little justification. The opening mountain climbing ceremony was chock full of excessive gamesplaining, the castle trip and mystery, and so on with every step of the journey. There is a lot to appreciate in DQ11, but it also felt like a drag simultaneously when it came to narration. It's been an issue in many jRPG's as of late.

I'm reminded how quaint, simple, but effective 16-bit jRPG's could be with this. The storytelling isn't deep and is riddled with logical pitfalls, but it moves. You get your objective and go. Problem arises and you are immediately tasked with sussing out a solution, not emphasizing the problem and its roots too deeply.

Getting off that high horse though, the game is fine. Combat is mashtastic and probably the least compelling reason to play this. It feels like I recall Star Ocean 2 playing, but in two hours there has been zero need to do anything beyond mash attack and trade blows. Skills aren't additive or helpful to utilize beyond your simple 3-hit combo by any stretch, so until a boss or a real threat emerges to truly prove an actual combat engine exists, its by far the weakest link. Hoping it turns around.

But I like the Star Trek-inspired mashup of evolved sci-fi species helping out some lesser fantasy-inspired planet solve a larger threat. It's simple, it gives justification for magic and swords and caves and monsters while also having spaceships and lasers in the same game. I'm enjoying this.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's the original game in the series so it's a perfect entry point.
Its the original game in the series so a great place to start lol
Technically 2nd Game Chronologically
Star Ocean being sci-fi is the biggest scam a JRPG has ever attempted. You'll spend most of your time on the ground visiting standard fantasy towns

Haha, that's all good to know, despite my being dumb. Thanks everyone, it's on the wishlist.

Character recruitment
OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Some character advice:

You can only have 8 party members total.

Your first choice will be between Cyuss and Ashlay.

3Rcleuc.jpg

If you tell Cyuss you don't want him to go with you early on in the game, you can get Ashlay instead.

7KnrUMt.jpg

The next permanent member to join you will be Ioshua, if you go to the Purgatorium right away, when the game tells you to.

5eMiRnw.jpg

At this point, your party will look like this:

Roddick/Ilia/Cyuss or Ashlay/Ioshua. Keep in mind Ronyx and Millie join no matter what, so that's six slots.

This is important, because the next recruitable character you will find will be Mavelle, who, if you have Ashlay or Ioshua with you, joins with Ronyx and Millie.

QFDo9ve.jpg

However, if you take her with you, you cannot get these characters, Phia or T'nique, later, as you need six or less characters to recruit them.

NAYX7fz.jpg

vI6a2Lt.jpg

That means you must choose between Mavelle, Phia, and T'nique.

The last slot can be filled with either of these two, Perrici or Welch, who only require one free slot.

58t8aed.jpg

dFWX9w9.jpg

So you must again choose between Perrici and Welch.

Then there's Erys, who is a bit of an oddball. To get Erys, you need Ashlay, Ioshua, and Mavelle, must complete a sidequest, and will lose Mavelle at the end, to be replaced with Erys.

yEq90TX.jpg

To summarize, assuming you recruit everyone up to Ioshua:

You must choose between Ashlay and Cyuss.

You must choose between Mavelle, Phia, and T'nique.

You must choose between Welch and Perrici.

You must choose to keep Mavelle or switch her out for Erys.

GameFAQs has character recruitment guides for more info on how to go about getting each character, but those are the choices you must make.

I think I'm getting this right. You can also choose to straight up not get characters if you don't want to, making for several possible combinations. The choices I've laid out are what most people will encounter if they choose to get characters as they're introduced to you.

For example, you can dump Ioshua and get Phia AND T'nique if you want. Or, if you chose Ashlay, you can still get Mavelle even without Ioshua... and then get Phia as well.

Cyuss and Phia share several storylines together. Ashlay, Ioshua, and Mavelle also do. Might want to keep that in mind as well.

Last edited:

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so, uh, how do the battles work? I'm just mashing A to attack while the other characters move around based on whatever tactic I've set.

Do you just mash A all the time? Can you block? I see that you can set skills to L and R. What am I missing here?

How I miss the era of instruction manuals.
I'm in the same boat as you, it doesn't even tell you the controls in game! I had to google to try and find the instruction manual without success haha...

Anybody got a decent explanation for battles and the controls?

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'm in the same boat as you, it doesn't even tell you the controls in game! I had to google to try and find the instruction manual without success haha...

You can hit up to three times in succession for a normal attack. Characters have two skills assigned to the L/R buttons. If you use each skill a certain number of times, it will become more powerful. Physical attackers need skills assigned whether you are controlling them or not (as far as I can tell). Spellcasters only work like this if you control them directly; otherwise, they have access to their entire arsenal of abilities, although you can turn their spells on or off in the menu.

A big chunk of the combat comes from the skill system, which you'll find in skill stores across the game. These are labeled Knowledge 1, Combat 1, etc. The combat skills affect, well, combat, and can range from power bursts to increased defense to increased evasion to even sometimes teleporting directly to the enemy if your skill is a high enough level. Some non-combat skills affect combat as well, such as Knife, which is used for cooking but also raises STR.

In short, level your skills, micromanage your spellcasters and don't play as them, and level up the techniques you like to use. Also, experiment with what physical attackers you like to play as.

Edit: Also keep in mind combat and item creation skills share the same SP pool, so you might want to designate certain characters for certain professions, or choose to focus on a certain element of combat with a certain character, etc... but it's really up to you.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Some character advice:

3Rcleuc.jpg

If you tell Cyuss you don't want him to go with you early on in the game, you can get Ashlay instead.

7KnrUMt.jpg

The next permanent member to join you will be Ioshua, if you go to the Purgatorium right away, when the game tells you to.

5eMiRnw.jpg

Roddick/Ilia/Cyuss or Ashlay/Ioshua. Keep in mind Ronyx and Millie join no matter what, so that's six slots.

This is important, because the next recruitable character you will find will be Mavelle, who, if you have Ashlay or Ioshua with you, joins with Ronyx and Millie.

QFDo9ve.jpg

However, if you take her with you, you cannot get these characters, Phia or T'nique, later, as you need six or less characters to recruit them.

NAYX7fz.jpg

vI6a2Lt.jpg

The last slot can be filled with either of these two, Perrici or Welch, who only require one free slot.

58t8aed.jpg

dFWX9w9.jpg

Then there's Erys, who is a bit of an oddball. To get Erys, you need Ashlay, Ioshua, and Mavelle, must complete a sidequest, and will lose Mavelle at the end, to be replaced with Erys.

yEq90TX.jpg

GameFAQs has character recruitment guides for more info on how to go about getting each character, but those are the choices you must make.

I think I'm getting this right. You can also choose to straight up not get characters if you don't want to, making for several possible combinations. The choices I've laid out are what most people will encounter if they choose to get characters as they're introduced to you.

For example, you can dump Ioshua and get Phia AND T'nique if you want. Or, if you chose Ashlay, you can still get Mavelle even without Ioshua... and then get Phia as well.

Cyuss and Phia share several storylines together. Ashlay, Ioshua, and Mavelle also do. Might want to keep that in mind as well.
This is the guide GameFAQs guide that I've always used.

Some of the information you have isn't entirely right, though most of it is. Like, if you don't recruit Cyuss you don't just get Ashlay by going through the story. There are a couple extra steps, like making sure you find and talk to him in the Tatori arena. It's also possible to have characters like Welch and Perrici together, you just have to make sure you have the slots open for them.

SolVanderlyn's explanation pretty much covers everything. It's a pretty old/simple system so your not missing much on first glance. Really play attention to those combat skills you get from the skill stores. Here's a wiki list of what all the different skills do and what combinations of them will unlock specific specialties.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
two hours in.

game has a break neck pace that i am enjoying.

combat is simple, but i think as long as i get some cool skills, i'll be okay with that.

loving the scenery and music.

story bits are simple, but very intriguing.

if the game keeps this up, it will become a favorite of mine!

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Very excited to give this a spin, since I missed out on the PSP version. I'll get around to it once I finish ToCS3.

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
You can hit up to three times in succession for a normal attack. Characters have two skills assigned to the L/R buttons. If you use each skill a certain number of times, it will become more powerful. Physical attackers need skills assigned whether you are controlling them or not (as far as I can tell). Spellcasters only work like this if you control them directly; otherwise, they have access to their entire arsenal of abilities, although you can turn their spells on or off in the menu.

A big chunk of the combat comes from the skill system, which you'll find in skill stores across the game. These are labeled Knowledge 1, Combat 1, etc. The combat skills affect, well, combat, and can range from power bursts to increased defense to increased evasion to even sometimes teleporting directly to the enemy if your skill is a high enough level. Some non-combat skills affect combat as well, such as Knife, which is used for cooking but also raises STR.

In short, level your skills, micromanage your spellcasters and don't play as them, and level up the techniques you like to use. Also, experiment with what physical attackers you like to play as.

Edit: Also keep in mind combat and item creation skills share the same SP pool, so you might want to designate certain characters for certain professions, or choose to focus on a certain element of combat with a certain character, etc... but it's really up to you.
Thanks so much for the detailed reply, I'm really enjoying the game I have to say :)

Can you reset your skills?

Edit: thanks SmokedSalmon too!

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Some character advice:

3Rcleuc.jpg

7KnrUMt.jpg

5eMiRnw.jpg

QFDo9ve.jpg

NAYX7fz.jpg

vI6a2Lt.jpg

58t8aed.jpg

dFWX9w9.jpg

yEq90TX.jpg

Any preferences between characters??

SO2 has just about every mage outside of Rena being pretty useless. :P

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Any preferences between characters??

SO2 has just about every mage outside of Rena being pretty useless. :P
I personally prefer Ashlay over Cyuss, although they both provide interesting backstory to the world. I just think a grizzled army vet from the worst war the world has ever seen with only one working arm is cooler than big tough guy Cyuss (although Cyuss is much lighter and more fun than Ashlay is).

Out of the mages, Ronyx is a pure offensive mage (Black Mage), Ioshua is a mix of healing and offensive magic (Red Mage), Millie is a pure healer (White Mage), and Erys is also the Red Mage archetype. I would never use Ioshua and Ronyx at the same time, so maybe factor that in when deciding who you want to use in battle.

Phia is a ninja/assassin type. Mavelle is the most unique/interesting, with pretty strong physical attacks and a very... "different" weapon (fights using floating orbs). T'nique is a lycanthrope who can turn into a werewolf during battle. All three of them are really cool! I like Mavelle and Phia equally, but storywise, they seem to be a set with Ashlay/Ioshua and Cyuss respectively, so I usually choose depending on who I recruited earlier.

I hate Pericci and Welch. Stupid anime girl archetypes. So... whatever.

Erys is a better Ioshua spell-wise, but you have to give up Mavelle to get her, and I personally really like Mavelle's design and skillset, so I never get her. Might be worth it to see more story with Ioshua though (it's really the only way to get closure to his plotline).

My personal favorite team is Roddick/Millie/Ilia/Ronyx/Ashlay/Ioshua/Mavelle/Perrici. I only get Perrici because, well, I can by the time I've assembled the rest of my team. Battle-wise I always keep Ronyx on my team because I'm a huge fan of SO2 and he's the only recurring character across both games.

I really like Cyuss and Phia too, though. I'm grabbing them instead of Ashlay and Mavelle this time around.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting this has no physical. I think I'll grab it tonight. I'm excited to play it, but also wanna support it so that we get SO2.

Can you toggle between the artstyles?

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I cant really find many good videos of combat in this game. How fun are the characters other than the main dude? Is it still fun to play as a mage?

EDIT: Just saw the above post. Bummed to see that you don't really wanna play as spellcasters in this game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Some character advice:

3Rcleuc.jpg

7KnrUMt.jpg

5eMiRnw.jpg

QFDo9ve.jpg

NAYX7fz.jpg

vI6a2Lt.jpg

58t8aed.jpg

dFWX9w9.jpg

yEq90TX.jpg

Completely forgot about this. Thank god Valkyrie Profile did away with that

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Some character advice:

3Rcleuc.jpg

7KnrUMt.jpg

5eMiRnw.jpg

QFDo9ve.jpg

NAYX7fz.jpg

vI6a2Lt.jpg

58t8aed.jpg

dFWX9w9.jpg

yEq90TX.jpg

Good job I saw this. I remember screwing myself over in Star Ocean 3 because of this kind of messiness when it came to character recruitment. I ended up getting stuck with Peppita because I didn't really realise the gravity of the choice lol, urgh.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
The way characters are recruited is definitely one of my least favorite things about the game. It's obnoxious how having someone join you will lock you out of people you don't even know exist yet. And I have no idea wtf happened here since the guide didn't even mention it, but seeing Ioshua off made Phia leave my party too, so when Millie finally joined she was only my third character.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
The original on Super Famicom having voice acting in its intro always impressed the hell out of me back in the day.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Anyone like the new portraits? Im using them its just weird when it switches to the cutscenes lol. I had first departure for psp but never got around to finishing it.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I hope this game is successful enough to convince Square Enix to make a HD port for Star Ocean: Second Evolution.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally prefer Ashlay over Cyuss, although they both provide interesting backstory to the world. I just think a grizzled army vet from the worst war the world has ever seen with only one working arm is cooler than big tough guy Cyuss (although Cyuss is much lighter and more fun than Ashlay is).

Out of the mages, Ronyx is a pure offensive mage (Black Mage), Ioshua is a mix of healing and offensive magic (Red Mage), Millie is a pure healer (White Mage), and Erys is also the Red Mage archetype. I would never use Ioshua and Ronyx at the same time, so maybe factor that in when deciding who you want to use in battle.

Phia is a ninja/assassin type. Mavelle is the most unique/interesting, with pretty strong physical attacks and a very... "different" weapon (fights using floating orbs). T'nique is a lycanthrope who can turn into a werewolf during battle. All three of them are really cool! I like Mavelle and Phia equally, but storywise, they seem to be a set with Ashlay/Ioshua and Cyuss respectively, so I usually choose depending on who I recruited earlier.

I hate Pericci and Welch. Stupid anime girl archetypes. So... whatever.

Erys is a better Ioshua spell-wise, but you have to give up Mavelle to get her, and I personally really like Mavelle's design and skillset, so I never get her. Might be worth it to see more story with Ioshua though (it's really the only way to get closure to his plotline).

My personal favorite team is Roddick/Millie/Ilia/Ronyx/Ashlay/Ioshua/Mavelle/Perrici. I only get Perrici because, well, I can by the time I've assembled the rest of my team. Battle-wise I always keep Ronyx on my team because I'm a huge fan of SO2 and he's the only recurring character across both games.

I really like Cyuss and Phia too, though. I'm grabbing them instead of Ashlay and Mavelle this time around.
Isn't Ronyx the captain at the start of SO2? Claude's father? Ilia is her mother right? Been years since I played both

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Some character advice:

3Rcleuc.jpg

7KnrUMt.jpg

5eMiRnw.jpg

QFDo9ve.jpg

NAYX7fz.jpg

vI6a2Lt.jpg

58t8aed.jpg

dFWX9w9.jpg

yEq90TX.jpg

Can I get Phia and Mavelle and throw out Welch and Perrici?

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Did a bit of save juggling to get 3 character trophies without actually recruiting themé Game is progressing along smoothly. Lots of fun despite the amount of back tracking. The encounter rate down skill doesn't seem to be doing much.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When do you get the next character? I have Roddick, Ilia, and Cyuss right now. I'm in the city Cyuss is from and Phia was just introduced.

Oct 30, 2017
I played three hours.. totally a good quality of a JRPG game, very pleased and very well put together.

I still can't believe SE gave us this Remaster for the west... I'm enjoying every minute :-)

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Spent too many points early thinking I would get pickpocketing early on only to find out I can't for awhile. Can anyone recommend some good focuses for early skills with ilia and roddick

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Does anybody know how the trophy of Ronyx and Ilia ends up working ? I'm assuming PA. Anything in particular to watch out for ? I can't find anything regarding it online.

Oct 26, 2017
I... think so, but you have to sacrifice Ioshua and take Ashlay along, because Phia needs two empty slots to recruit and Mavelle needs either Ashlay or Ioshua with you.

Yep!
I had a playthrough with Erys and Phia (because Phia is a constant mainstay in my group). I think you just need to backtrack to get Phia before Millie joins.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
This difficulty spike in the 2nd half is kind of fucking me up, especially since I haven't really been customizing too much. I got a good weapon on Roddick, but that just allows him to kill everything about as fast as it can kill him. I kind of locked myself into a really tedious loop of bullshit trying to make a Dueling Sword for Roddick, because I already used the first Luxurious Sword to make his current weapon, and getting to the second one with a high risk of getting my ass kicked only to fail making it and reloading is driving me insane.