• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Valkyrie Profile The Purged Wizard is an on-going VP event for Star Ocean Anamnesis, the Star Ocean mobile gacha

It has three chapters and all the JP VA returns for this game. So Lezard Valeth still has the voice of DIO, and every female character are voiced by industry veterans (Hrist is the voice of Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell for example)

In any case it has a lot going:

Chapter 1

- As stated in the ending of VP1, Lenneth became a creator since she was reincarnated as a half-elf homonculus by Lezard himself, which allows her power to be limitless and comparable to Odin (who was also an elf). She foiled Loki's plans and restored Midgard and Asgard from destruction.
- Lenneth locked Loki deep within herself, never to come out
- She proceeds to hunt Lezard Valeth to end his life as he was still alive by the end of VP1, but he manages to use the philosopher's stone to end himself and be reincarnated in the future (there is a constant cycle of rebirth in the world of VP1)
- While Lenneth sleeps to heal her body, she released all her einherjars to be reborn again in Midgard, living new lives

Chapter 2

- Aria is a new character who became sort of a Jeanne D'Arc figure, fighting against the empire of Villnore to defend Astoria.
- She made a pact with Hel, the ruler of Niflheim to have power in exchange of her soul, she had kind of the same power as Wylfred in Covenant of the Plume, she was apparently able to use the feather, and Hel changed her look (Dark hair) to become more of a goddess figure
- Gandar (the prick you had to hire to your team in VP1 by orders of Odin) who was reborn as a Villnore general killed her and branded her as an heretic as a result
- But Aria was the reincarnation of Hrist herself, and now with the Goddesses' ability to remember their past lives, she hunts Gandar as a sort of personal vendetta as she cared for Aria (in the same way Lenneth cared for her past life as Platina)
- Arngrim, who doesn't remember his past life, tries to defend Aria and his homeland but ended up getting killed by Gandar, however he is drafted again as an Einherjar by Hrist, working together again despite only Hrist having any memories of it
- Hel is angry about this, because Aria's soul was bound to be hers by contract, but Hrist pushes back in defiance of Niflheim
- In the end Hrist goes to slumber again, having ended the war and protected Midgard during the time Lenneth was healing herself. Aria goes to be reborn once more, and Lenneth is awaken. Keep in mind all of it happens in the span of centuries and centuries

Chapter 3

- Now Arngrim is at the service of Lenneth, who tries to hunt Lezard once more since he was probably reborn at this stage
- Mistina and Lezard, who were both reborn and ended up together finds their way to the city of Dipan, who you might know is the city that had the time travel contraption that is heavily featured in both VP1 and 2 (you end up going back in time in both games)
- They both had no memories of their past lives, but Lezard coming back to the place he died before made him able to remember who he was with the philosopher's stone
- Lenneth finds him again, but Lezard activates the device, setting into motion the events of Valkyrie Profile 2 (which is both a sequel and prequel in this way) and it ends with Lezard talking to Princess Alicia like in VP2, acting as a benevolent wizard

Alternate Ending

There is an alternate ending in which Lezard is defeated but Jormugand, a new character who seeks to free Loki, protects lezard and tries to strike a bargain: free Loki for Lezard's life, something that Lenneth refuses. Jormungand seemingly allows Lezard Valeth to live, and leaves. Jormungand is said to be a very powerful being and was believed to have been killed by Odin, when she was only locked away similarly to what Lenneth did to Loki. It is then said that the big threat as prophecized by Frei was in fact Jormugand and not Lezard Valeth. This new conflict pushes Lenneth to seek to awaken both Hrist and Silmeria in order to go to war with Jormugand, and also Hel in order to retrieve their former allies.

So there is apparently a future where the three Valkyrie Sisters fights together to fight Jormugand, but this is where it ends.

This might be the last piece left of Valkyrie Profile story content we'll ever get in our lifetime, so I hope it was satisfying enough.

Sestenes

Mar 2, 2018
Iowa
This just reminded me how badly miss Valkyrie Profile 2, and how much I'd love for them to make a third installment.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
So do you have to run through the tutorial missions before being able to begin the Purged Wizard?

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Seems kind of odd it's a VP crossover event in a Star Ocean gatcha game when there is actually a currently running VP gatcha game as well. But I guess crossovers do well for these games.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Seems kind of odd it's a VP crossover event in a Star Ocean gatcha game when there is actually a currently running VP gatcha game as well. But I guess crossovers do well for these games.

Star Ocean Anamnesis is actually developed by tri-ace, while Valkyrie Anatomia is outsourced to DokiDoki Groove Works and Wonderplanet Inc.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I've been hoping for a new VP game on consoles, it's nice to see something like this even though is not what I would want.

Better than nothing I guess...

SabinFigaro

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch my heart :(

VP is an amazing series that deserves more respect. The original came out of nowhere and was utterly unique in terms of setting and gameplay, and somehow I think its sequel surpassed it, becoming one of my favorite PS2 RPGs. Even the DS game, which I recently replayed, is fantastic.

Any story continuation, even in this limited form, is preferable to nothing. Still, what could have been...

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
The real question is why Square Enix haven't ported the amazing mobile port of Valkyrie Profile Lenneth to consoles and PC yet

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know much about the Valkyrie Profile gacha, I just know there is apparently a fourth Valkyrie Sister called Hakurei

C1BENERXAAIRG1w.jpg

I don't even know why she is a goddess and what does she do though

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
By the way, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth's 20 year anniversary is coming up this December, so I expect some form of Valkyrie Profile type of news.

Best but highly unlikely case scenario: Valkyrie Profile Hrist is announced (wishful thinking, never gonna happen)
Medium case scenario: Valkyrie Profile Lenneth (& Silmeria?) ported to PC and consoles
Worst case scenario: Special Gacha Event for Valkyrie Anatomia or Star Ocean Anamnesis

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Hearing the VP1 music again makes me super happy but what the hell did they do to Lenneth. Why is she a sighing waifu now?

Oh man they brought back Mystina and made her...curvier? I guess?

Man why do all my favorite franchises go mobile/gacha and end up just becoming waifu generators :(

That art for Hrist though, whoa.

Lezard Valeth can kiss my ass

Also this.

ZgtH8hl.jpg

Of course they had to made a skimpy outfit for the new sister....

Yeah looking at Lenneth's new posing/emphasis on the slits and the other character art bums me out. They really wanted Mystina to have chun li thighs I guess lol

So there is apparently a future where the three Valkyrie Sisters fights together to fight Jormugand, but this is where it ends.

This might be the last piece left of Valkyrie Profile story content we'll ever get in our lifetime, so I hope it was satisfying enough.

I will forever be taunted that this could be VP's future that I may never get to see :(

Last edited:

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
By the way, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth's 20 year anniversary is coming up this December, so I expect some form of Valkyrie Profile type of news.

Best but highly unlikely case scenario: Valkyrie Profile Hrist is announced (wishful thinking, never gonna happen)
Medium case scenario: Valkyrie Profile Lenneth (& Silmeria?) ported to PC and consoles
Worst case scenario: Special Gacha Event for Valkyrie Anatomia or Star Ocean Anamnesis
Really hoping to see the best or medium case scenario.
Such an amazing series but greatly underrated...

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Do we have the list of credits for Purged Wizard? I want to see who the English VAs are.

I also wonder who wrote the scenario - it would be nice to see if it was Masaki Norimoto who was responsible.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I don't get it, what does Star Ocean have to do with any of this?

tri-ace's only current product is Star Ocean Anamnesis and as a gacha Games as a Service model, it requires a steady stream of content, especially characters you need to grind for or buy. By having fan favorite Valkyrie Profile characters and a new campaign to grind through, they attract a range of customers who'll spend their time and money on Anamnesis.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the whole thing. Really seems more like a prologue than a pared down version of the oft-rumoured Hrist game. It also seemingly introduces a new timeline where Lezard doesn't go back to Alicia's time, thus the second game's events might play out differently or even become invalidated? Fascinating.

Porque no les tres?

oh right... Square-Enix

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Wow, so I'm trying to play this gacha game and apparently there's even a stamina cooldown to take on missions. Meaning that you simply cannot go through the campaign without having to wait (1 stamina point for every 3 minute) or buy stamina items to charge up again to take on the mission. If you die during the mission, the stamina you spent launching it will still be used. Ugh.

It's also hilarious that you can just put the game on Auto and let it do the grinding for you.

The English voice-acting in Chapter 1 is also pretty bad. Makes me miss the old voices :'(

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Narrator: "It wasn't."

Valkyrie Profile 2's story is one of the few times where I wish I could travel back in time and prevent the game from being made. Ironically enough because of the time travel BS pulled in VP2. Nothing short of undoing VP2 and Covenant of the Plume would satisfy me, and that will never happen.

I hate VP2 to an embarrassing degree and will still be salty about it when I die.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It's pretty heart-wrenching to see 3D models of Valkyrie Profile characters in this game. Now I really want a proper Valkyrie Profile: Hrist console game with all the bells and whistles

pn3kuBV.jpg
pOYPFbc.jpg
SHpw3HT.jpg
kStbrKx.jpg
aN80xv7.jpg

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
So I played through this as far as it could take me until it wanted me to grind characters in order to beat the bosses and gave up and watched the English youtube videos of this. I'll write some thoughts later...

Narrator: "It wasn't."

Valkyrie Profile 2's story is one of the few times where I wish I could travel back in time and prevent the game from being made. Ironically enough because of the time travel BS pulled in VP2. Nothing short of undoing VP2 and Covenant of the Plume would satisfy me, and that will never happen.

I hate VP2 to an embarrassing degree and will still be salty about it when I die.

while I agree that it wasn't very good that a lot of what happened in VP1 was undone by time-travelling, I thought that the change in perspective and allying with other characters were more than okay. I would've preferred they'd taken a different direction without the time-travel nonsense and make proper tragic drama like in VP1 (and actually have us be able to play as a badass valkyrie), but VP2's plot wasn't *that* bad. Or maybe it was just Liam O'Brien's voice acting that carried Lezard as the villain for me. What was it that you disliked so strongly about VP2?

And what was wrong with Covenant of the Plume?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
while I agree that it wasn't very good that a lot of what happened in VP1 was undone by time-travelling, I thought that the change in perspective and allying with other characters were more than okay. I would've preferred they'd taken a different direction without the time-travel nonsense and make proper tragic drama like in VP1 (and actually have us be able to play as a badass valkyrie), but VP2's plot wasn't *that* bad. Or maybe it was just Liam O'Brien's voice acting that carried Lezard as the villain for me. What was it that you disliked so strongly about VP2?
That it undoes VP1. VP1 is one of my favorite games of all time and I adore the core storyline of Lenneth learning who she is, coming to terms with mistakes she made, and being allowed a second chance which allows her to stop Loki and ultimately reunite with Lucian.

VP2: "LOL NO."

And what was wrong with Covenant of the Plume?
Eh, nothing specifically. I was just so soured on VP2 that I wanted nothing to do with a VP game set against the same timeline as the one VP2 created.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing this event was in the Japanese version like a year ago if it is in the English one now since we're so far behind. Still sad, i love the designs in VP

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
That it undoes VP1. VP1 is one of my favorite games of all time and I adore the core storyline of Lenneth learning who she is, coming to terms with mistakes she made, and being allowed a second chance which allows her to stop Loki and ultimately reunite with Lucian.

VP2: "LOL NO."

That I completely agree with. (VP1 is also my favorite JRPG of all time, it's sooooo good) Having Lenneth do all that extra work after saving the entire universe is very bitter to me. Especially the fact that all 3 Valkyries got merged into that big Ultimate Valkyrie at the end. Oh well, I just see it as VP1 still happening and existing. We don't really know what happens after VP2's ending and with the whole Rebirth theme going on, VP1's events might as well be the same.

But just viewing Chapter 2 of the Purged Wizard, it would've been instantly cooler to have a much more straightforward story with tragic characters, self-sacrifice, and justice - like the feeling we had in VP1.

Seriously how great is the story of VP1? Just thinking about Lenneth's character arc gives me goosebumps.

Eh, nothing specifically. I was just so soured on VP2 that I wanted nothing to do with a VP game set against the same timeline as the one VP2 created.

CoP takes place before VP1 though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That I completely agree with. (VP1 is also my favorite JRPG of all time, it's sooooo good) Having Lenneth do all that extra work after saving the entire universe is very bitter to me. Especially the fact that all 3 Valkyries got merged into that big Ultimate Valkyrie at the end. Oh well, I just see it as VP1 still happening and existing. We don't really know what happens after VP2's ending and with the whole Rebirth theme going on, VP1's events might as well be the same.

But just viewing Chapter 2 of the Purged Wizard, it would've been instantly cooler to have a much more straightforward story with tragic characters, self-sacrifice, and justice - like the feeling we had in VP1.

Seriously how great is the story of VP1? Just thinking about Lenneth's character arc gives me goosebumps.
Yeah, you have a point there. I just remember being so turned off by the events as I played VP2 back in the day. I don't think there's ever been a sequel that disappointed me nearly as much as it did.

CoP takes place before VP1 though.
Ah. That, I'll blame my own ignorance on, then. Even as a DS game, Covenant of the Plume came out while I was still really smarting from VP2 and I didn't want to get bit by another plot twist. I might actually hunt down a copy just to see what it's like now.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Fucking rerelease VP1 for current consoles and PC already, SE, FUCK

It's the 20 year anniversary this year of VP1, hopefully they'll do something with the IP this year beyond the mobile gacha games.

FINE were the one responsible for the mobile port. It even has partial gamepad support.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Did Kou Yoshinari do any new art for this?

Yes he was contracted for some of the work, notably Lenneth, Silmeria, Freya, Hrist, and Arngrim that work across Valkyrie Anatomia and Star Ocean Anamnesis

ag8yu6D.jpg
m4Kj15f.jpg
NRJvQn3.png
MhR8RW0.jpg
X9oOWRl.jpg

Some other work Kou did for both Anamnesis and Valkyrie Anatomia

WsTEOtQ.jpg
fQw4yBW.jpg
q4yCS8q.jpg

and then the more eye-rolling ones (a bit raunchy, so NFSW)
LZoYxT5.jpg
eySQSqK.png
mgJpIQZ.png

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Funny thing is, another game that got VP crossover is Tales of the Rays. And now tales of the Rays is having a Star Ocean crossover event. And japanese Star Ocean is having a Tales Collab It's like some circle of crossovers.

Granted, I don't think Rays collab has any story relevance at all.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Was this a limited time event, can it no longer be viewed/played?

Kinda interesting scenario; even if its horrible watered down by the easily-made VN format...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
With gacha games, they need a constant flow of content and also attract as many fans as possible, so they leverage the IPs and characters they are known for - in this case, Valkyrie Profile.

Oh I understand that. Gacha games love to do cross overs. But does event canonize a connection to Valkyrie Profile or is this story standalone and just happens to take place in the Stare Ocean game?