• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
S31 will be S31 in name only, like most of STD. They clearly like names of things rather than the things themselves.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
Exactly, S-31 has to be handled with extreme care and requires a restrained hand. I don't see the Discovery writing team up for the task. S-31 is very alluring as it can allow a writer to go off the deep end of Trek, chasing down grim dark stories with notions of the greater good. In this way, they might either end up disparaging the actual utopian optimism of Star Trek or just turn the organization into plain villains.
Yeah, I agree with this. It feels too early to get Section 31 involved, though they might not necessarily be chasing it at full throttle next season, they could have just very well planted the seeds to be expanded on in later seasons. But Section 31 kinda subverts the core message of Trek, and with this version on Trek, where that message hasn't been fully established, I think it'll end up doing more harm to the storytelling than good. It's hard to resist going gritty, because gritty and conflict makes for addicting television, but Trek hasn't ever really been afraid to be a little different.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there was some kind of panel this weekend, here is an interview with the show runners, lot's of confirmations for stuff we've heard before (the spiritual theme for season 2, Lorca coming back) but they also go into the feedback they've recieved and how they are going to address some of the issues like the bridge crew and having more 'slice of life' episodes.

It's a short read so I won't post the whole interview

'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunners Reveal Season 2 Theme, Plans For Burnham, Airiam And More

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a shorter season is what they need to get their story telling more razor sharp. Ah who am I kidding...

I just need more Trek

Oh... we're gonna learn more about that Robotic crew-man person, great.

And the new season will deal with FAITH?

May the Prophets walk with you, child

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a shorter season is what they need to get their story telling more razor sharp. Ah who am I kidding...

I just need more Trek

Oh... we're gonna learn more about that Robotic crew-man person, great.

And the new season will deal with FAITH?

May the Prophets walk with you, child
Faith of the heart.

I honestly don't know what they can do to make the show work for me at this point. Like if they actually did the original anthology plan and rebooted every season, then it'd be easy to forget all the weird stuff that happened in S1.

I just hope they got all their fanboy shit out of their system. I'd actually be happy if they never mentioned Klingons, Romulans, anything TOS related (forget they even met the Enterprise) and just write off Sarek completely. Just leave that baggage behind and make a show that doesn't rely on references instead. Or fuck it, just double down and rehire the entire TNG crew to come back as future versions of their old characters.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is Star Trek show.... supposedly

They need fanservice, or else no one will watch it... they already don't watch it even with the fanservice...at the finale

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Every Star Trek show throws in fan service they just can't help themselves.

been that way since TtNG

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have a date yet. Jason Isaacs teased a possible 2020 date, but take that with a very large pinch of salt. Most estimates that I've seen seem to be going with some point in 2019.
Jason Isaacs was obviously trolling. It'll most likely be late 2018 or early 2019. They start filming in April, the first episodes airing this year is realistic.

Every Star Trek show throws in fan service they just can't help themselves.

been that way since TtNG
Been that way since TOS.
f6da35d7-fc71-49ad-8f3uvx.jpeg
a9f0253f-9346-45c7-9oyuln.jpeg

1554d8d8-455a-43fb-auau27.jpeg

5756cf58-55e0-4c49-bb3uw5.jpeg

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Can I say I've always disliked that Scotty scene on TNG. He spent far more time on the movie version of the Enterprise then he ever did on the TOS version. Both in universe and out of universe. I get it was fan service but it was stupid fan service.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine we might have word on the bluray/dvd release around SDCC or the Star Trek Las Vegas Convention. I hope at least. Would love it if we got it sooner but they likely want to keep it close to season 2's launch.

Honestly I can't really form an opinion on this. There is The Mummy Kurtzman (hasn't it been said Tom Cruise had an insane amount of control over that film and what was done with it, etc) and then there is Alias and Fringe Kurtzman. Since Discovery is a TV show I'm be wiling to lean toward this turning out okay. We don't know what episode 1 of season 2 will be like either. So I'm in wait and see mode until that first trailer drops but the team behind Discovery has earned a lot of trust and faith from me.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Wasn't a real Trill. Holographic spots tho so it was just a human trying to sneak by in plain sight.
There was a "real" Trill in the show. Final episode, blink and you miss it. They don't linger the camera a lot of the "oh here's this" stuff. There are exceptions. For me, it got me out of my damn iPad while I watch, so I guess that's a good thing. I'd really gotten into that habit over the past few years.

13 episodes for season 2 is kind of a bummer. I felt like 15 really wasn't enough. Eh oh well.
I am good with the focused stuff. Even then, they still manage to both drag ass and barge around at the same time. I do miss some of the old Trek where they'd take time to focus on the life of a particular character, but I also admit that all of that development went to pot on most of the shows when they'd promptly forget every damn thing they learned about themselves as soon as the end credits rolled.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
The redesign looks good. I still wish the Discovery was a bit thicker but I still like the design overall.

Jan 29, 2018
Cool. Hopefully the Enterprise stuff takes two episodes, then Discovery visits some planet whose culture works as an allegory for a current social issue.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
definitely looks the part I think i saw that fan casting a while ago

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
He's great casting!

Can we expect him to be a regular?

By the way my family and I met Nichelle Nichols at the Silicon Valley comic con this weekend. She was delightful!

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
hopefully its just 2 epiosdes don't want to spend half the season with the enterprise

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
That is some seriously good Pike casting. I'm very interested in how the Enteprise stuff pans out for season 2. On the one hand it would be neat if it stuck around for a bit as it could lead to some great callbacks. But on the other I'd be happy for Discovery and Enterprise to part ways quickly so we can focus in more on our main cast of characters.

I liked season 1 a great deal, but I'd really like them to have a chance to slow things down a little. Even with 13 episodes instead of 15.

Jan 29, 2018
Remind me how Pike ends up in the wheelchair communicating with beeps? Is that still to come where Discovery is in the timeline?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Zachary Quinto as Spock please. Probably won't happen to prevent universe confusion.