• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
My main concern is that the first season of discovery was a sort of Section 31 Trek. Like, not officially, but the basic premise was that Michael was a star fleet officer that went against star fleet principles and was serving under a captain who similarly went against Star Fleet Principles when it suited him. It became more complex and as Lorca died and Burnham realized that she wanted to full embrace Star Fleet Principles, the show now is what it is, with much less edgy grimdarkness and seemingly more optimistic and fun.

But it started off as section 31, and not only did that burn a lot of fans, right now, everyone seems way more on board with season 2's more lighthearted and optimistic tone than they ever were with the introduction of the first season. As for me, while I love the idea of section 31 existing as the darkest part of the federation in the show, I'm cautious of the idea of putting section 31 in center stage. Section 31 serves as a good contrast to what the doe eyed federation believers wish the universe to be, but if they're just center stage, then they need a different framework of existence.

But, of course, anything can be done well if it's done well. So hopefully it will be well done.

Edit: Also, while I'm not one who gets upset over morally questionable characters being major protagonist characters, it's nevertheless weird that Emperor Georgiou is accepted so enthusiastically by even section 31. She was like...an absolute monster that even villains from other franchises can barely aspire to. She committed multiple genocides, ate sentient beings, was casually murderous of everyone, and was a literal dictator that believed in subjugation which is a political philosophy we have no reason to believe she abandoned. I'm not saying the character shouldn't be in the federation working, I'm just saying I find it surprising how many are on board with her just being part of the gang. Of any gang. Even Section 31's gang.

Last edited:

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
Great episode, with a character story slant for the three characters, Michael, Tilly, and L'Rell. So much so, Captain Pike and the main Red Angel story takes a backseat. This story structure could unnerve some viewers who prefer the pacing of the last episode, but this format allows multiple "short trek" moments to be shoehorned into this episode and to allow characters to breathe and grow.

I've enjoyed the emotional interaction between Michael and her mother Amanda, in words, body gestures, and facial expression. The ruthless and deadly politics of the Klingon empire plays out wickedly with L'Rell at center stage and with a nice and timely surprise appearance of Georgiou. I'm a sucker for Klingon shenanigans, going back to the days of Worf. Oh yeah, hair...that's good karma, right? Finally. after her mental breakdown, l love the Tilly and Michael bonding moment. Sisterhood of the traveling stars. And I like the payoff of planting a "plot seed" in a previous episode, in this case, a seemingly innocent spore embedded in Tilly, that has consequences in future episodes.

I'm all aboard for any cloak and dagger Star Trek intrigue, via Georgiou and her new recruit Tyler. Section 31, the last black suit you'll ever wear.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying I find it surprising how many are on board with her just being part of the gang. Of any gang. Even Section 31's gang.

well section 31 did use biological warfare on the founders so i don't think they care much about what she did in the other universe hell they probably think it's a plus for the job

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Binging DS9 last summer I wonder what the "purists" think of it considering how they trip over themselves to take shots at Dis over canoness or trekkiness
Did they forget it?
Did they not watch it?
Did they just hate that one too?

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/star-trek-ds9-25th-anniversary-interview-1202648047/
A syndicated science-fiction television series was not, in the early '90s, a prestige gig. But Berman called Visitor and pitched her on the vision for the show — and on Kira, a former member of a terrorist organization who had moved into a military position in a newly liberated society.

Fan reception to the character, and to the show as a whole, ran hot and cold. Previous female "Star Trek" characters had been helpmates — a switchboard operator (Lt. Uhura in the original series), a therapist (Counselor Troi in "Next Generation"), a healer (Dr. Crusher in "The Next Generation"). None had been a war veteran with emotional skeletons.

"Some people in the 'Star Trek' world were like, 'That's not what a woman in "Star Trek" should be. That's the wrong thing to be teaching,'" Visitor says. "But what I saw her as was a woman of appetite and gray area — lots of gray area. Very fallible, but growing and trying. And that's all over television now."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ed-season-8-sharing-shows-untold-story-973343
You used to say the show would become more popular after it was off the air. How did you feel about DS9's reception at the time, and how do you view its legacy now that it's considered by many to be the greatest Trek ever?
It was very clear early on that Star Trek fans are no different in some ways than other fans of other types of shows. They like what they like and that's what they want. I totally understand it, but we were doing something a little different. We set out to do something different and we held to that course no matter what. That's what we thought the franchise needed. Yes, at the time, it was different and different doesn't necessarily take off immediately. People are suspicious of different. We were able to do so many things because Voyager was the Star Trek series that waved the flag of the franchise. Or TNG before that, so we had our own pace to be that kind of somewhat outlier show. So yes, I always believed the audience would catch up. If I had any idea how the delivery system was going to change over the years, if I had any idea that there would be binging, I would have been even more definitive in my belief. But I had no idea about that. I just thought it would be a slow word of mouth.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/to-boldly-stay-how-deep-space-nine-upended-star-trek-b-1823186821
Deep Space Nine's unflinching examination of what was dear to fans' hearts earned it the moniker of "the dark Star Trek", and viewing figures dwindled throughout its original run.

This was far from what Paramount had envisioned for the series, and as Ira Steven Behr reveals, there were many battles between the network and the writers. "We were told we were destroying the series by serialization, we were destroying Gene's future by introducing war and money, we were losing fans because they couldn't get into the show, we had no chance of getting new fans because they would watch one episode and give up. A lot of it was negative."

A relevant bit on Section 31:
In fact, butting heads with Roddenberry was what inspired Ira Steven Behr to show another side of the Federation with Deep Space Nine. He reminisces about pitching a psychological episode of The Next Generation that examined Picard's fears of aging—and Roddenberry, insistent that Picard felt no such fear, replaced it with an episode about "getting the captain laid." At the time, this aggravated Behr, but it also gave him a great idea. "That's why I wanted to critique the Federation. Because to me, it all sounded like gobble-de-gook, this perfect 24th century… I just didn't understand how we reached that place where life was so damn good. Everything was a song, a beautiful song among the stars, but that's not how I saw it."

Such was the introduction of Section 31, a shady secret service dedicated to performing all kinds of necessary evils to ensure the apparently virtuous Federation could stay afloat. As Behr explains, "I wanted Section 31, the Federation itself, to be the villain. It was this idea that paradise is just a small piece of the puzzle."

With Section 31 never unveiled to the wider Federation, Deep Space Nine left audiences hanging on what this organization meant for Roddenberry's vision. As Moore puts it, "Utopia is an ideal, it's not achievable. There's an idea of humans striving towards perfection and never quite able to achieve it, and Section 31 is emblematic of that."

Pretty much the same, but with BBSes instead of forums, Twitter, and Reddit.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

I've been a Trekkie a long time, and I dont think I've seen any of the previous casts having as much fun as Discovery's.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I finally got around to watching the Carpool Kareoke episode with the Discovery cast. That was fun.

I liked the Star Trek Discovery: The Musical section, heh

edit - didn't even see the post above me heh

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Should also add I loved the face Georgiou was pulling at the baby before Tyler turned to look at her when she then scowled again. She's not as evil as she makes out.

Also on the being inside Tilly
seems to keep suggesting that Stammets is an imposter. Off the top of my head I don't recall what happened of evil universe Stammets.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Should also add I loved the face Georgiou was pulling at the baby before Tyler turned to look at her when she then scowled again. She's not as evil as she makes out.

Also on the being inside Tilly
seems to keep suggesting that Stammets is an imposter. Off the top of my head I don't recall what happened of evil universe Stammets.
He woke up in MU and probably died when ship exploded,

Edit: nm guess Landry got him

Last edited:

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall what happened of evil universe Stammets.

he got vaporized by mirror Landry

tumblr_p3e1twZC7r1qdb2vqo5_r1_500.gif

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Anthony Rap just "liked" one of my tweets regarding that Carpool Karaoke videos. That's awesome lol.

You're a celebrity at ERA now.

well section 31 did use biological warfare on the founders so i don't think they care much about what she did in the other universe hell they probably think it's a plus for the job

I'm picturing them trying to use her like a weapon to aim at their enemies, like a better Khan from Into Darkness.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Anthony Rap just "liked" one of my tweets regarding that Carpool Karaoke videos. That's awesome lol.
I really like that a lot of the cast is so active on twitter. Normally I would just think it's someone controlling their accounts and a lot of times that's the case with some actors but I don't get that feeling at all. Not just with the Discovery cast but a LOT of Trek actors that are on twitter.

Oct 26, 2017
So, on the one hand, Section 31 show, Picard show... so... three shows in production? For real? That's pretty badass.

On the other hand, the easy win was Lorca as lead on a Section 31 show. I forget did Enterprise decide to do an episode where Section 31 gets founded? If not Lorca should've come up with the whole damn thing! Mirror Emperor Georgiou is just too cheesy.

Someone upthread mentioned Pike/Enterprise show with a "The Cage" remake as a finale. I'm all in for that idea. That would be rad as hell. Four shows. Let's do it CBS. You the Star Trek Channel now. Only problem is... we don't really know if the Spock they cast is decent.

Also what's the deal with the Karaoke thing? I thought that was a... that one guy with a late night show bit... They turned it into a standalone show? On... Apple? And yo. Dawg. Dawg. Not gonna lie. It got a little pitchy as soon as... well everyone after Anthony Rapp joined in.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, on the one hand, Section 31 show, Picard show... so... three shows in production? For real? That's pretty badass.

On the other hand, the easy win was Lorca as lead on a Section 31 show. I forget did Enterprise decide to do an episode where Section 31 gets founded? If not Lorca should've come up with the whole damn thing! Mirror Emperor Georgiou is just too cheesy.

Someone upthread mentioned Pike/Enterprise show with a "The Cage" remake as a finale. I'm all in for that idea. That would be rad as hell. Four shows. Let's do it CBS. You the Star Trek Channel now. Only problem is... we don't really know if the Spock they cast is decent.
I'm pretty sure Discovery is that show. The Cage took place about 3 years ago in the current Pike timeline so whatever happened, it's behind him. Let Pike have too much fun with Discovery and be it's Capt until he ends up with radiation poisoning. Then, let Saru become the captain. That way they can have the Enterprise refit those nacelles and get back to its original style design, but with a modern polish.

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the menagerie and pike doesn't suffer from delta poisoning until 9-10 years from the current timeline

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Also what's the deal with the Karaoke thing? I thought that was a... that one guy with a late night show bit... They turned it into a standalone show? On... Apple? And yo. Dawg. Dawg. Not gonna lie. It got a little pitchy as soon as... well everyone after Anthony Rapp joined in.

Was OG Lorca a badass like Mirror Lorca though?

I'm definitely onboard for more Pike/Ent. It can just be set during the 5 year mission during the war and we already know how they played no part in it.

Are Spocks whereabouts during that time nailed down already?

Oct 26, 2017
Also the Lower Decks animated show 👍
I forgot about that. On the one hand... it seems kind of dubious to me. On the other hand... 525,600 Star Treks.
Was OG Lorca a badass like Mirror Lorca though?
I meant Mirror Lorca, I just kind of assume OG Lorca was a spineless ninny. Though granted Mirror Lorca got a bit cartoony himself when his true self was revealed and he got caught up in the wash with the Mirror Georgiou stuff.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I realized that I hate everything that is either about the Klingons or about Michael and Spock in this show.

All the rest is pretty good/cool. Tilly, Philips, Stamets, even Pike, Saru, that Robot on the bridge. Philipa saved the last episode without much screen time.

If they just stop with this nonsense about Spock I would appreciate much more the show

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Point Of Light was pretty solid, like a good 6.5/10. I didn't love it, but I generally liked it even if it felt a bit Season 1-ish. I've come to the conclusion that while I don't dislike Season 1 of Discovery, I've never had the urge to rewatch it except for one time with the Mudd time loop episode.

Clem fucking Fandango.
Not getting Matt Berry to play a Klingon is a giant missed opportunity. If he doesn't appear as a S31 operative in the spinoff I'll be mad.

Last edited:

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
Should also add I loved the face Georgiou was pulling at the baby before Tyler turned to look at her when she then scowled again. She's not as evil as she makes out. [/SPOILER]
This adds dimensions to Georgiou's character, that despite her ruthless demeanor, she may retain some semblance of humanity if not compassion. Non-verbal gestures and facial expressions can convey much about a character as much as dialogue and action.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
This adds dimensions to Georgiou's character, that despite her ruthless demeanor, she may retain some semblance of humanity if not compassion. Non-verbal gestures and facial expressions can convey much about a character as much as dialogue and action.
Exactly. Part of it is all just about projection. I'm not suggesting she spends her Sundays in a huge bubble bath, but she's not the cutthroat bitch that has been portrayed until this point. Bearing in mind she made reference to her own kids earlier in the episode as if they were nothing to her.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you soften the image of someone who ate people, but good luck with that.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Point Of Light was pretty solid, like a good 6.5/10. I didn't love it, but I generally liked it even if it felt a bit Season 1-ish. I've come to the conclusion that while I don't dislike Season 1 of Discovery, I've never had the urge to rewatch it except for one time with the Mudd time loop episode.

Not getting Matt Berry to play a Klingon is a giant missed opportunity. If he doesn't appear as a S31 operative in the spinoff I'll be mad.
You shut the fuck up, Ash Tyler - you fake ass Klingon in a patak's body.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
This episode just showed me how little I care for Tyler or the klingons in discovery

This show needs more pike, saru and stamets (and less tilly. I am sorry ERA)

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Section 31 is the most boring part of the Star Trek universe. Who needs another grim dark """realistic""" show.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Section 31 is the most boring part of the Star Trek universe. Who needs another grim dark """realistic""" show.
I think the only way it could be interesting is if they just admit that the people in S31 are pure evil and don't try to redeem them ala Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul/Suicide Squad. But I'm sure they'll just be anti-heroes like everyone else on TV nowadays.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is I don't think Section 31 has ever been shown as pure evil though or even just evil. I know some want them to be that way as to not "ruin" the idea that a utopia could be formed without hidden help but showing them that way would actually being going against what little we do know about them.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only way it could be interesting is if they just admit that the people in S31 are pure evil and don't try to redeem them ala Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul/Suicide Squad. But I'm sure they'll just be anti-heroes like everyone else on TV nowadays.

As Effect said, they're not evil, they're just the epitome of ends justify the means in contrast to the Federation idealism. In a way, taking in Super Space Hitler makes sense since for them since the Terran Empire is what they are all about. Not the imperialistic, moustache twirling, eating sentient beings part, but the twisted version of post-utopia humanity's singular drive to improve themselves. I may need to rewatch Enterprise's mirror universe episode but the first encounter with Vulcans in both universes lead the end of intrahuman bigotry.

It still contrasts so heavily with the general tone that I love and fundamentally undermines the aspirational quality of Star Trek, which makes it so unneeded. It adds to the show in the same way digging a hole in your lawn is technically increases the surface area.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is I don't think Section 31 has ever been shown as pure evil though or even just evil. I know some want them to be that way as to not "ruin" the idea that a utopia could be formed without hidden help but showing them that way would actually being going against what little we do know about them.
I agree that S31 shouldnt be portrayed as cackling bad guys. Usually they seem to operate with the best intentions (for the Federation at least). However, Imo the series should show that as often as their tactics might work they fail or are counterproductive overall in the end. Much like Special Circumstances in the Culture the viewers should be taken on a ride from 'this is what it takes to maintain utopia' to 'is this really necessary or helpful?' Not sure they have the nuance to make a series like that though.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017

I dunno I always liked the idea of Section 31. The idea that the goody two-shoes Federation's clandestine arm was every bit as evil/diabolical as the Tal Shiar or Obsidian Order.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
As Effect said, they're not evil, they're just the epitome of ends justify the means in contrast to the Federation idealism. In a way, taking in Super Space Hitler makes sense since for them since the Terran Empire is what they are all about. Not the imperialistic, moustache twirling, eating sentient beings part, but the twisted version of post-utopia humanity's singular drive to improve themselves. I may need to rewatch Enterprise's mirror universe episode but the first encounter with Vulcans in both universes lead the end of intrahuman bigotry.

It still contrasts so heavily with the general tone that I love and fundamentally undermines the aspirational quality of Star Trek, which makes it so unneeded. It adds to the show in the same way digging a hole in your lawn is technically increases the surface area.
That just isn't that interesting to me given that we have idealistic anti-heroes already - like Michael Eddington.
The S31 we saw in DS9 was ready to commit genocide - something even Picard couldn't do to the Borg. If they're just Star Trek's suicide squad, that is a bunch of bad asses in black leather trench coats instead of neon lycra jumpsuits, then what's the point?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I always liked the idea of Section 31. The idea that the goody two-shoes Federation's clandestine arm was every bit as evil/diabolical as the Tal Shiar or Obsidian Order.

Like you said, Star Trek has the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order as a classic sci-fi tool of using aliens as a mirror to humanity. What's more is that those organization benefit from the lack of details and obscurity from a narrative perspective. I don't see how a show that will need to go into detail about a human equivalent of those amoral organizations is appealing.

That just isn't that interesting to me given that we have idealistic anti-heroes already - like Michael Eddington.
The S31 we saw in DS9 was ready to commit genocide - something even Picard couldn't do to the Borg. If they're just Star Trek's suicide squad, that is a bunch of bad asses in black leather trench coats instead of neon lycra jumpsuits, then what's the point?

Oh I agree, which is why I said they are boring. I just don't think retconning them to be just straight up evil instead of amoral will really support a show much less an episode though and would frankly make their existence even worse.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Here is the Super Bowl ad. Hopefully this means we get to see Spock soon.

At least one of the writers at TrekMovie, if not all of them, seems to be hedging their bets on the seventh episode being our Spock intro. If so, it's gonna be a while.