• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Next episode looks 😳 too

Seems the theory

about kelpians evolving into the other race

might be right

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Mario, but your Spock is in another Shuttlecraft.

I laughed when everyone but Michael lowered their phaser.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I liked this episode but I felt it was a stopgap to get Culber and Ash back on the Discovery and wrap up the stuff with May. The teasing of Spock every week is also frustrating. I'm hoping episode 7 is when he shows up finally.

Oct 25, 2017
My goodness that was awesome, edge of my seat the entire time, I really thought they
weren't going to bring back Dr. Culber, thank you Tilly for the quick thinking. Also I guess that closes the door on the spore network...also the time travel clue regarding the red lights.....hmmm I hope we don't have more temporal nonsense like on Enterprise.

Pike is amazing, I really want that 5 year mission show. He's fantastic.

Also I think it's pretty obvious that Section 31 eventually becomes more and more covert as time goes on, probably because of all the shady shit they keep doing. And it was nice to see Admiral Cornwell again.

Oh and next week looks crazy.

Jan 29, 2018
Great to see Admiral Cornwell again, but this show has a habit of people showing up on spaceships without saying how they got there. Last week Number One beams onboard from... somewhere, this week they presumably rendevous with the S31 ship to beam Ash over, but we don't know it's in the area explicitly until later. Is Cornwell just always on the S31 ship? I feel like I have the same question every time Sarek boards/leaves Discovery. It's a stupid issue and my brain can fill in the blanks, but a line of dialog wouldn't hurt.

Really though it was another strong episode. In the moment
I really thought they were going to kill Hugh again when he couldn't cross over with the rest of them and it was heartbreaking. Of course if I thought about it for a second obviously they were going to bring him back, but it worked in the moment. They way he got into the network through Stamets was a little goofy but I'll accept it. I can't wait to see how he comes back from his experience - how long was he wandering around in there? Hopefully he has words with Tyler.

Next week looks exciting.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed when everyone but Michael lowered their phaser.
Yes lol. I love that she doesn't until really pressed on it. That's how I felt the whole time lol.

That said, I will still find it ridiculous if anyone on Discovery who was onboard during the trip to the Mirror Universe falls for that being original Georgiou. So I don't give those security officers who were there a pass either. At least Pike has an excuse and even then he's pretty skeptical the more he experiences how she's acting without knowing it lol. Good thing Michael can control herself, anyone else who knew would have probably punched Georgiou in the face with that cocky act, lmao.

Goddamn, loved that speech by Pike about going after Tilly.
Detmer had a great smile hearing it too, heh.
LOL "Very bold, deeply insane plan"

That was another fantastic episode. Really gripping for more of a connecting episode.
The preview for next week looks insane, can't wait!

Also I think it's pretty obvious that Section 31 eventually becomes more and more covert as time goes on, probably because of all the shady shit they keep doing. And it was nice to see Admiral Cornwell again.
Yeah, that's probably what happens.

Really though it was another strong episode. In the moment
I really thought they were going to kill Hugh again when he couldn't cross over with the rest of them and it was heartbreaking. Of course if I thought about it for a second obviously they were going to bring him back, but it worked in the moment. They way he got into the network through Stamets was a little goofy but I'll accept it. I can't wait to see how he comes back from his experience - how long was he wandering around in there? Hopefully he has words with Tyler.
Yeah, for a little while there I really thought they might be delaying the process of bringing him back and not do it yet. Right, that's going to be a potentially amazing scene, damn.

Also, just thought of something. It's also gonna be good to have more of a real main doctor character on the ship again. It definitely felt a little weird whenever they've gone to sickbay with the current doctor we rarely see or learn anything about.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
My goodness that was awesome, edge of my seat the entire time, I really thought they
weren't going to bring back Dr. Culber, thank you Tilly for the quick thinking. Also I guess that closes the door on the spore network...also the time travel clue regarding the red lights.....hmmm I hope we don't have more temporal nonsense like on Enterprise.

Pike is amazing, I really want that 5 year mission show. He's fantastic.

Oh and next week looks crazy.

I wouldn't be surprised if royally screwing up is Section 31's arc this season, leading to them being "disbanded"

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good god what if they actually bring archer back as the man from the future in enterprise?

The time travel mention instantly brought that to mind. It was always intended that archer was the man from the future and they never got to explore it.

It'll never happen, but it would be one hell of a connective tissue.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Exciting episode. All the outrage over Hugh's death last season hasn't aged well (even though he technically died).

Getting sick of reviewers moaning about the lack of Spock every week. It's heavily tied to the seasonal arc of the Red Angel so being one step behind Spock is a storyline not a pointless tease.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I sound like a broken record at this point but I swear this show is getting better with each new episode. Everyone is evolving as characters, the stories are more intriguing, the writing more tighter, etc. This show is really delivering for me.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This was a surprisingly metaphysical episode. I'm kind of surprised that Michael didn't tell Pike the truth about the emperor. They've broken so many other rules together, what's one more? And having that threat on his ship is something the captain needed to know.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This is a stealth "justice for Barb" episode. Get the likeable redhead out of the icky upside down!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I sound like a broken record at this point but I swear this show is getting better with each new episode. Everyone is evolving as characters, the stories are more intriguing, the writing more tighter, etc. This show is really delivering for me.
The Star Trek tradition of a weaker first season leading to far better things continues!

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was great! I think I have a new favorite episode. For a while now it was Brother but I think this has overtaken that. I was waiting for this event to finally happen and I really like how it did. Talk about edge of your seat and I love the clarification with Section 31 in this era. I can see that pissing some people off but I loved it.

As far as Michael and
Georgiou goes, until the swerve happens I do think she really does care about Michael. Especailly when Michael gets pissed at her because she's clearly seeing her own daughter in Michael. I'm willing to bet she thinks on some level she could have her daughter back. This time this Michael wouldn't try to stab her in the back if she can actually gain her trust.
What struck me as odd was her worry for spock. I understand she cares for Michael because she can't help seeing her daughter in her, but why does she give a shit about him too? Unless she's trying to save him to avoid Michael another loss, but that would be oddly sentimental

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
Think I actually flinched when S31 captain guy said TIME TRAVEL.

If it turns out to be Kelvin shit (RED Angel and RED Matter right) or Picard from the future in a neat tie in to our new show please keep paying for our service, I'm not going to be happy.

Apart from that, good shit all round.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I guess I'll be the odd one out and say that, while I think generally Season 2 is a lot better and more consistent than the first season, that last episode was maybe my least favorite so far - battling with episode 2 but I'll take more time to think about it. The Section 31 stuff is fine for what it is (though I think it's kind of ridiculous that everyone seems to know about them despite this being some covert, unsanctioned, unofficial thing that later on no one even seems to recognize ever existing at all - but fine, who cares) and I like seeing Georgiou again, but the way they brought Hugh back was one of the dumbest and most convoluted paths to bringing a character back I've ever seen.

I remember remarking to my husband during the episode that the whole thing felt like an episode of Sailor Moon or something; the justification was so on the level of an anime on par with, like "Sailor Moon cries tears that turn into the Silver Crystal" or something that I could not take it seriously and it really did feel like a weird, labored apology to people who complained about him dying in the first season. And for that to be how the plot-thread of the mycelial network and Tilly ends is kind of a bummer. I just expected something a bit more interesting.

Happo

Jul 5, 2018
Didn't like that at all. Another hyperactive episode with the insufferable trope of people blabbering on, while the ship is exploding. Get a move on for fucks sake.

Also why is Section 31 now known by everyone, WTF? It's supposed to be a secret organization! bad bad episode...

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
What struck me as odd was her worry for spock. I understand she cares for Michael because she can't help seeing her daughter in her, but why does she give a shit about him too? Unless she's trying to save him to avoid Michael another loss, but that would be oddly sentimental
I don't think she actually does. She wants Michael to think she has his best interest in mind. Maybe she does but for other reasons not yet show. She's been shown to be sentimental though. Her feelings for Michael and her conversations with her. Her interaction with the baby when she thought Ash wasn't looking. I know some try to paint her as this but I don't think she's ever been shown to be one dimensional. She's had many sides to her from the jump. Not all of them good but they're there.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

This was a surprisingly metaphysical episode. I'm kind of surprised that Michael didn't tell Pike the truth about the emperor. They've broken so many other rules together, what's one more? And having that threat on his ship is something the captain needed to know.
Yeah, I expected her to by the end of the episode, especially now that you mentioned it how they've already broken a bunch of rules together so why not one more and that he needs to know, but it didn't happen yet. I think with the way she said that "give me a little time" as her answer, to Pike asking her to not make him push harder for the answer, that she's still going to, hopefully.

Last edited:

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Exciting episode. All the outrage over Hugh's death last season hasn't aged well (even though he technically died).

Getting sick of reviewers moaning about the lack of Spock every week. It's heavily tied to the seasonal arc of the Red Angel so being one step behind Spock is a storyline not a pointless tease.

I mean, yes, from a plot standpoint it makes sense that Spcok has not appeared yet, but they are obviously teasing it. We expected Spock to be in the transported room in episode 1, we expected Spock to be on the shuttlecraft this episode, and they framed each scene with Michael anticipating Spock.

Don't get me wrong, I love this season so far, but I will be happy when we finally get to see Spock on the screen.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder what the shows reception would be like if they had stepped out the gate like this instead of season 1.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

indeed and here's hoping the streak continues and judging by next week preview i have nothing to worry about.

I wonder what the shows reception would be like if they had stepped out the gate like this instead of season 1.

well season 1 was pretty good but even if was more like s2 trek fan's would still have complained about something just like they did with tng/ds9/voy/ent.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
well season 1 was pretty good but even if was more like s2 trek fan's would still have complained about something just like they did with tng/ds9/voy/ent.
I don't know if I'd describe it as good, but I'm coming at this from a unique perspective in that I didn't watch the older treks, but was in it for the risks it was taking both with the franchise, with the casting, and the fact that the clean star trek premise never appealed to me so having a darker take was something I was down with.

I'm came away with some story decisions I liked and a whole lot that I didn't. I'd have to rewatch the season to collect my thoughts more properly, but a lot of the time it felt like it was trying to be dark to the point of being grotesque (michael eating what was implied to be alternate universe Saru) without layering it in the meaning it needed to make it effective. That and a lot of it was just really stiff and unconvincing, to the point of being annoying to watch, with the most obvious case being all the episode we had to spend watching people try to act convincingly not just under a huge amount of prosthetics but also while speaking a made up language that sounds absolutely ridiculous, only for the season to basically cap off with a really badly written finale that is all about affirming the ideals of star trek even though the entire season was spent disavowing them in some way.

There were high points with my favorite being the episode with Harry Mudd, but more often than not, it struggled.

But what it's doing now in it's second season, it's totally different. That episode with Michael and Saru, it's a tad overwrought, but that sort of scene was just straight up impossible in season 1. This is much better.

Last edited:

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome episode again. And lol, starfleet ship with a cloaking device. Its not forbidden yet so that was pretty cool

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

I think the empress isn't as one-dimensional evil as it might seem. I don't doubt she would kill everyone on the Discovery if she could get away with it and it would be beneficial to her and that her default alignment is evil coming from the Mirror Universe but that doesn't make her unable to feel love and compassion. Much like someone from the Prime Universe is able to do acts of horror and evil given the right, or rather wrong circumstances someone from the Mirror Universe is able to do acts of kindness and love. We also could see that with her and the baby when Tyler was looking away. Now how genuine that really is remains to be seen of course.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Also did anyone else notice that every time the ship lurched while it was half stuck, there was a generic pew pew pew sound effect among all the others? Reminded me of the noise from TNG during the war games episode when Riker was scoring simulated hits on the Enterpise.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So S31 is just another huge retcon at this point right? They so well know that they being some secret unknown by DS9 era would be like if we forgot who the SS was.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
One this that is kind of funny is how complicated the whole plot to get Culber back is. When Colber was dying/dead, his DNA/conciousness was uploaded into the mycelium network when Stamets embraced him due to Stamets still being connected to the network at the time. A spore attached itself to Tilly after the Discovery was using the mycelium network in the mirror universe. The spore on Tilly grew into a duplicate of her high school friend, May, and created a cocoon to bring Tilly into the network because it was afraid of Culber which was seen as a threat to the network. Then, when Stamets and Michael go into the network to save Tilly by partially jumping, they find and save Culber and Tilly but only by May sacrificing the cocoon and connection to the Discovery.

Season one was very predictable in fan circles, but I feel like no one would have predicted these events lol. The most we knew was that it had to do with the network and the spore on Tilly.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show is getting better with every episode and next week doesn't look like it will break the trend

Also did anyone else notice that every time the ship lurched while it was half stuck, there was a generic pew pew pew sound effect among all the others? Reminded me of the noise from TNG during the war games episode when Riker was scoring simulated hits on the Enterpise.

Yeah, I thought they were taking fire at first

Oct 25, 2017
One this that is kind of funny is how complicated the whole plot to get Culber back is. When Colber was dying/dead, his DNA/conciousness was uploaded into the mycelium network when Stamets embraced him due to Stamets still being connected to the network at the time. A spore attached itself to Tilly after the Discovery was using the mycelium network in the mirror universe. The spore on Tilly grew into a duplicate of her high school friend, May, and created a cocoon to bring Tilly into the network because it was afraid of Culber which was seen as a threat to the network. Then, when Stamets and Michael go into the network to save Tilly by partially jumping, they find and save Culber and Tilly but only by May sacrificing the cocoon and connection to the Discovery.

Season one was very predictable in fan circles, but I feel like no one would have predicted these events lol. The most we knew was that it had to do with the network and the spore on Tilly.

I suspected the spore speck thing that attached to Tilly and the network itself might be involved in bringing back Culber but not like this lol, I figured time travel/alt dimensions.