• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Lol okay, that tactic to introduce randomness/chaos to ship navigation through the mines to throw off Control is the next level of Kirk beating Spock using "an illogical approach". I don't think it tied in very well with Michael's game with Spock either (considering they were wanting that to be the inspiration for Michael's idea). Spock wasn't exactly beating Michael (him flipping the table and changing the game notwithstanding).

The lack of an explanation for not beaming out Airiam didn't bother me. What I wasn't a fan of though is the cop out at the end to deny Michael the act of having to go through with killing a fellow crew member. All the deliberation and hesitation and Michael's commitment to not go through with it was ultimately wasted to just create tension for a few seconds, instead of being a character changing moment.
Ariam was more than a fellow crew member she was a friend. Michael's logic was overridden by her emotion. A human failing in this instance.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2x10 teaser sure has some interesting clips. We don't get them on Netflix but just caught it on YouTube. The next episode is called

"The Red Angel"

Ariam getting the TWOK send-off
Burnham and Ash getting friendly
Spock and Culber in EV suits
Reusing the transporter props from the Shenzhou
Burnham being strapped into a device

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its weird that Ariam was recast between S1 and S2 but the actress that played her in S1 is still on the show now as a random crew mate in the background all throughout the season

Wonder if they will do something more with that actress.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Its weird that Ariam was recast between S1 and S2 but the actress that played her in S1 is still on the show now as a random crew mate in the background all throughout the season

I honestly had no idea.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a thought - if the Feds have cyborg bodies, I wonder why Pike wouldn't use one of those instead of the beep-beep chair from The Menagerie? Only risk is being able to get hacked I suppose, but the advantage is you'd get cool GitS powers.

I just like the idea of Cyborg Pike.

I don't think they have transplant a mind into a cyborg body tech. i think Ariam just continued to upgrade her natural body. I think Pike's body was too far gone for that.

Oct 25, 2017

I was going to mention how we haven't seen her in a while, hope she pops up again, I liked her.

Edit: this is cool too

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it was indeed weird when I first saw that news here in the thread back then, and, like you said, also strange that she's still on the show in a currently background role so I'm wondering that too, if they'll ever do more with her new character or if she just changed out due to only being available limited time or something. She's only had like one brief scene as her new character so far I think and that's it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why this is such big news considering we all knew he couldn't stay on but anyways

I really hope number one isn't done yet, would be kind of a waste of casting if that's all the scenes they hired her for.

Oct 25, 2017
So they posted official threads to discuss who the red angel is (and I know small sample size and all) but it seems most are trying to connect it to with Calypso and Zora.

Also I just found this:

They build the sets in VR, that's pretty awesome. She directed the next episode.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, I'd have noped out of the role of Ariam too if i was coming into work at like 4am for probably multiple hours of prosthetic makeup only to have like three single-word lines the whole season with probably no guarantee about role expansion the next season.

Also possible she had adverse skin reactions to the makeup, wouldn't be the first time.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably my favorite visual interpretation of the shields in star trek

It's interesting and neat effect, I'm loving all the ship scenes we've been getting this season.

The last time we saw something like this was when the NX would "polarize" their hull plating which was their pre-shield technology, but gave a very similar effect. Before that this is how the Enterprise E shields now worked in Nemesis after its apparent refit, but they never explained the change, besides that it probably looked much cooler and more futuristic in action scenes and battles compared to the old bubble looking shields from the tv shows.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed Pike's arc finishes so soon. I thought we'd get a few seasons before his accident.

Oct 25, 2017
It's still about 8 years before he has his accident anyways so we'd have a long way to go before we catch up to that time.

It's interesting and neat effect, I'm loving all the ship scenes we've been getting this season.

The last time we saw something like this was when the NX would "polarize" their hull plating which was their pre-shield technology, but gave a very similar effect. Before that this is how the Enterprise E shields now worked in Nemesis after its apparent refit, but they never explained the change, besides that it probably looked much cooler and more futuristic in action scenes and battles compared to the old bubble looking shields from the tv shows.

Yeah I was watching Voyager this morning and the bubble shields look kinda funny

Oct 25, 2017
What happened with his accident? Was that story ever told? Could it be shown on screen?
This is all we know:

Only a few years thereafter, Pike was aboard a training vessel, an old class J starship, when a baffle plateruptured and exposed many helpless trainees and cadets to delta-particle radiation. Pike dragged many cadetsfrom the danger but, in the process, was hopelessly crippled by the rays.

The disfigured Pike was put on a form of advanced life support which sustained his withered body and life functions, but he was too weak and incapacitated to ever move or respond to physical stimuli again. A wheelchairthat was tuned to his brain could use blinking light signals to respond to simple queries in the affirmative (one flash) or negative (two flashes), but that was the extent to which he could communicate.

It's from the Menagerie but it's never been shown or expanded upon

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'm disappointed Pike's arc finishes so soon. I thought we'd get a few seasons before his accident.
I tweet at the every week asking about a new Pike show. Join me. We need more pike.

Either during the war or in the period between now and Kirk getting the keys

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I've always preferred the visual of the bubble shields, though having a lot more shield emitters and making it more sectional to hug the skin of the ship would probably be more practical.

To be fair, when you combine it with the screens from WoK, it makes it look like a progression over time - ie, from generating only so much shield power that it's most comfortable hugging the hull, to being able to contain a whole area and safely have space for other ships inside it.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on the chess analogy from last week, much of what's happening is very much like a chess game between the Red Angel and Control - Discovery is just caught in the middle.
Spock sees the Angel. It has him save Michael's life.
The Six Signals appears across the galaxy.
The Enterprise suddenly experiences "catastrophic failure". This is part of Control's ploy to get Spock and Burnham in the same place.
Except Spock isn't on either ship but who better to track him down than family and his captain.
At this point Control is hoping that Pike and Michael will lead Section 31 to Spock. It already has evolved to the point where it's able to falsify commas.

I have a feeling we will find out more this week.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
So I just watched the " midnight's edge" YouTube channel regarding discovery, prime time line and cannon and the 25% difference thing.
Was this widely known?

It kinda makes me sad annoyed and relieved.
Basically cannon is TOS -> voy/entire. Prime referral to the TNG era but in the JJ verse and discovery and going forward is in this prime verse, but not cannon which legally must differ by 25%.
Like it's a total mess.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I just watched the " midnight's edge" YouTube channel regarding discovery, prime time line and cannon and the 25% difference thing.
Was this widely known?

Basically cannon is TOS -> voy/entire. Prime referral to the TNG era but in the JJ verse and discovery and going forward is in this prime verse, but not cannon which legally must differ by 25%.
Like it's a total mess.

Midnights Edge basically makes up things for views.

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just watched the " midnight's edge" YouTube channel regarding discovery.

LOL midnight is full of shit he's one of those alex jones type youtuber that whine about women in star trek/wars

Like it's a total mess.

giphy.gif

not this shit again

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Was this widely known?

Like it's a total mess.

You've got some hot replies inbound.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Oh maybe I fell into a internet flat earth style trap, my bad probably should have known, never heard of the channel before.

It just made sense of the dumb styling/artistic choices that discovery has made.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Man that channel keeps popping up in my YT recommendations no matter how much I tell Google that I'm not interested.

My opinion on the whole visual reboot thing is that the best way to handle it would have been to not make this show a prequel. Holograms, spore drives, new aliens and wildly different uniform design? No one would give a fuck about any if that if the show was set in the TNG timeline. Just make Micheal Spock's foster daughter the same way she is Sarek's foster daughter.

That being said, if the show absolutely had to be a prequel, I'm fine with the visual and technical overhaul. Past callbacks to the 60's designs worked as one off references, having an entire show filmed on sets that are based on those designs would be ridiculous. DSC is doing just enough to pay homage, the control paels on the shuttle, the chairs and replicators in the lounge etc. I would even have been fine with them keeping the Klingon ship designs from the first season.

Oct 25, 2017
I like all the changes and don't care what canon nerds think, I can't wait to see how the Picard show is styled since it's 200+ years after Disco and how they style the different animation shows. Bring it on!

Oct 25, 2017
OMG, if Number One is the Red Angel I'll scream o_o

It would explain her absence in ToS... I would actually like that, oddly enough.

But also be a strange move considering we've only seen her once in this show. Ariam being it would make more sense to me. Also the "dead character is really alive as this one!" trope.

The other contender that isn't Michael would be Amanda, as her relationship to Spock has been played up extensively. Buuuut she's in TOS, so that doesn't work.

So going with Ariam as my bet, since I doubt they will be tossing out Burnham this early in the show.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
It would explain her absence in ToS... I would actually like that, oddly enough.

But also be a strange move considering we've only seen her once in this show. Ariam being it would make more sense to me. Also the "dead character is really alive as this one!" trope.

The other contender that isn't Michael would be Amanda, as her relationship to Spock has been played up extensively. Buuuut she's in TOS, so that doesn't work.

So going with Ariam as my bet, since I doubt they will be tossing out Burnham this early in the show.

Now that Ariam is floating around in space, I think this is probably a good bet.

Burnham or Ariam are my going theories at this point.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada

I don't think that revealing Michael as the Red Angel has to mean she leaves the show at all—we (audience or characters or both) can find out the Angel's identity without having to see Michael become it, whether that's through flashforwards or the Angel revealing its identity. It can be something that's left hanging, with Michael knowing that she's fated to become the Angel at some point and trying to make the most of her life as she has it.

I think Airiam is going to (eventually) become Zora, with her memories stored on Discovery becoming the basis of Zora's personality centuries later.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think that revealing Michael as the Red Angel has to mean she leaves the show at all—we (audience or characters or both) can find out the Angel's identity without having to see Michael become it, whether that's through flashforwards or the Angel revealing its identity. It can be something that's left hanging, with Michael knowing that she's fated to become the Angel at some point and trying to make the most of her life as she has it.

I think Airiam is going to (eventually) become Zora, with her memories stored on Discovery becoming the basis of Zora's personality centuries later.

That's an interesting theory. I do wonder if we will see Craft or Zora this season at all.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Pike's fate is needlessly cruel and doesn't make much sense in TOS (just saw The Menagerie yesterday). It seems to exist to justify Spock's extreme actions (and allow reuse of a scrapped pilot footage). I liked the episode overall but it's got lots of questionable storytelling decisions. Seeing this version of Pike (who's a lot more likeable than the original) makes it even more sad.

I also prefer the new skin shields. Wasn't a fan of the lie detector though. Has that featured in Trek in the past? Just seems like it opens up a whole new can of worms. If the explanation is that it's not accurate at all much like real life lie detectors, then why use it?

I think Calypso was a totally isolated story with no relation to the show. There's little benefit or reason to link Zora to Airiam. They appear to have little similarities and not a similar voice either.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Kirk uses a lie detector for Mudd of all people so it's a thing. How accurate it is or isn't is never really stated.

Also if I remember correctly didn't Zora say she adjusted her personality so that Craft would feel more comfortable? She could have just altered her voice.

Last edited:

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
1Z9qVY6.jpg

If they show a glimpse of Pike's future, I hope they redesign that chair. The beeping thing never made sense either.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Kirk uses a lie detector for Mudd of all people so it's a thing. How accurate it is or isn't is never really stated.

Also if I remember correctly didn't Zora say she adjusted her personality so that Craft would feel more comfortable? She could have just altered her voice.
The admiral seemed confident about the results of the test, so much as to trust it over footage she claims has been verified and checked for doctoring (well plus she doesn't trust it due its source). Fair if it's been in Trek in the past but I personally don't like it.

On Zora, I honestly see no benefit to the story of either Calypso or Discovery by having Airiam be the future Discovery AI.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
1Z9qVY6.jpg

If they show a glimpse of Pike's future, I hope they redesign that chair. The beeping thing never made sense either.

Yeah, just watched The Menagerie, and it's silly how they can't come up with a better communication device for Pike beside a yes and no buzzer. It was hard to suspend disbelief for it in the 60s' idea of the future, and even less now.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just watched The Menagerie, and it's silly how they can't come up with a better communication device for Pike beside a yes and no buzzer. It was hard to suspend disbelief for it in the 60s' idea of the future, and even less now.
Especially as this previous episode demonstrated that for victims of serious accidents being put into a cybernetic body is an option. If they did that with Ariam, why wouldn't they do it for Pike?