• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode, this will likely explain why Discovery ends up in the future and has an AI on board.

One thing though, I absolutely dislike how so many times when they show battles or formations it's all in 2D space. When Leland's ships appear and they go "we're surrounded!" I'm like "well except for the fact that you can go up and down". But I get what they meant by surrounded, that they had everyone looking at Discovery locked and loaded but still it wouldn't hurt to not have all the enemy ships in such a flat plane and have some up and down.

Btw maybe I missed something but why does Controlnwant to evolve and achieve consciousness, it already seems to have achieved consciousness. Or is it that Control is trying to protect itself by making sure the sphere data gets to it so that it becomes what it is in the future?

Lastly, rip the signals as the finale comes down to a fight with Leland. Guess that's a thread we'll pick up next season. I originally thought this season would be all about signals but I suppose they needed a constant inpeding threat to keep it going.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Really nervous about this finale. Not sure what to expect but I do know what I don't want to see and that's anything approaching a reset button or undoing relationships to make some of the loud mouths happy. Seriously fuck them.
how about NO! it's 2019 not 1966
Yeah, it was a great episode and a very immersive cliffhanger and goodbyes stopping point.
I agree though I'm not too big on seemingly bothering to use this toward reset buttoning the tech update much of which probably would have done back then if it were technically possible by way of zipping Discovery away. Not to mention that most of those people have already written off the show and if it means dropping important connections to the characters they've encountered, and of course Sarek, Spock, etc who keep bringing great scenes. Or seemingly randomly writing off a mixed reception character like Tyler, who was way better this season bouncing off Pike. Which sounds really weird two seasons in, unlike Voyager where they did it in the premiere. Oh, also now that I think about it, they're also doing that Georgiou show so I don't think they can really push back the tech with this unless they're going to make that show look old which wouldn't make sense. That's not to say the main group won't make it still worth watching whichever way it goes just like before of course.
Let alone after they do a great job making the Enterprise totally modern but with just the right touches of classic lol.

I really loved this exchange!

"I thought there were no bad ideas."
"That's a lie."
"That's a bad one."
That was great lol.

Also, Jett totally getting Po lol.
Georgiou complaining about the ice cream, as if we didn't know she was "evil" lmao.

Pike's "What mirror universe? ;)"
Was amazing lol.

CBS, please don't waste that set. Make a miniseries or a standalone all access movie please.
This. We need something with Pike and Spock on this Enterprise.

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Btw maybe I missed something but why does Controlnwant to evolve and achieve consciousness, it already seems to have achieved consciousness. Or is it that Control is trying to protect itself by making sure the sphere data gets to it so that it becomes what it is in the future?

It's like Saru and the Kelpians "evolving", it's a dumb shorthand for being better.

Oct 25, 2017
This episode rocked my shit so hard my socks flew off and spore jumped to another galaxy.
God damn I could kiss Pike.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the enterprise bridge, too. It's a surprisingly faithful update. Even though everything has been given a fresh "coat of paint," it's all where it should be. And the closer I look the more I realize how much has been retained or referenced directly from the 60s design, right down to the same captain's chair and even some candy buttons! Keep looking around the room at the various details and you'll find more things they have in common. chefkiss.gif

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really have handled the Enterprise perfectly in my opinion as far as bridging TOS and 2019 reality of technology.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Tonight's episode was really really good and emotional. The perfect setup episode for what looks like a crazy season finale. This season has been a wild ride and I loved every minute of it.

Oct 26, 2017
Thought it was a mess. Tilly and Queen Whatever was just terrible.The evacuation tubes were stupid, and weirdly lined up perfectly parallel between the hulls which doesn't make a lot of sense. Voq for some reason doesn't want to go with Michael even though... he's really the one with the fewest ties to the current time... I mean his time-child is already all grown up and he's moved on from his BDSM Chancellor. Spock wanting to go with her is plausible, sense of duty to family, whatever. The rest? Not so much.

The whole show this season has felt more like bad Marvel Comics than Star Trek.

Pike, Spock, Saru, and maybe even Michael (if they could keep her blubbering tears to more like once per season rather than twice per episode) work pretty well. The rest of the characters are complete dead weight.

But yeah, the Enterprise looked good.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, i'd be super sad for Discovery to be narratively 'compromised' just to (loosely) fit into some 50 year old timeline / continuity. I mean, we're already doing time travel in this very show, so make it a freaking new timeline. The 'cinematic universe' is dead anyways.
This season was amazing so far, so they clearly handle 'crossovers' with known characters (Spock, Pike) and plot elements (Pike's fate, the Talosians) rather well.
I certainly put trust in the show runners, but - if all of this leads to a great reset, and Discovery shifting from a "pre or around" TOS era to the end of the Trek chronology - i just feel like they wasted a lot of potential, just to cater to the memory-alpha fetishizing nerds out there :P

Like, this has become my favourite Star Trek show since ... TOS i think (i actually prefer it over most of DS9), it's - for lack of a word - almost 'offensive' to have it bend to prior narrative constraints, instead of maybe the other way around ...

But alas, we shall see. I'm along for the ride, no matter what.

Also, DSC Pike is a true and absolute gem.

.The evacuation tubes were stupid, and weirdly lined up perfectly parallel between the hulls which doesn't make a lot of sense..

🤣 ... Those are the truly important issues.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, i'd be super sad for Discovery to be narratively 'compromised' just to (loosely) fit into some 50 year old timeline / continuity. I mean, we're already doing time travel in this very show, so make it a freaking new timeline. The 'cinematic universe' is dead anyways.
This season was amazing so far, so they clearly handle 'crossovers' with known characters (Spock, Pike) and plot elements (Pike's fate, the Talosians) rather well.
I certainly put trust in the show runners, but - if all of this leads to a great reset, and Discovery shifting from a "pre or around" TOS era to the end of the Trek chronology - i just feel like they wasted a lot of potential, just to cater to the memory-alpha fetishizing nerds out there :P

Like, this has become my favourite Star Trek show since ... TOS i think (i actually prefer it over most of DS9), it's - for lack of a word - almost 'offensive' to have it bend to prior narrative constraints, instead of maybe the other way around ...

But alas, we shall see. I'm along for the ride, no matter what.

Also, DSC Pike is a true and absolute gem.

🤣 ... Those are the truly important issues.
Discovery was kind of compromised from the start.

Fuller had an idea for the series, and it felt pretty obvious that the writers weren't that interested in the Klingon War.

And according to Matt Mira's podcast, they wanted to do a time jump at the end of season 1. (Rather than Fuller's anthology idea), but I think someone liked the idea of seeing the Enterprise and Pike too much.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Keeping Po on the ship definitely feels like them planning ahead and needing a way to explain why Discovery doesn't have to keep searching for new dylithium next season.

Also, not gonna lie, I teared up a bit when Pike left and they all stood to attention.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be a long wait until next week. I've never seen TOS so the Enterprise set did nothing for me but it looks pretty good. Too bad Pike will be gone after next week since going to the future makes cameos difficult. Unless they only jump forward temporarily.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'm going to make a prediction. The reason we haven't seen the last two signals yet is because those two will be for the return trip.

One to say "Discovery is here!" and one to say "Michael is here!"

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see the reaction Anson Mount has gotten as Pike. He's an underappreciated actor. If any of you are Western fans (even if you're not, really) check out Hell on Wheels. He's equally as wonderful as Cullen Bohannon.

I'm not a fan of some of the repetitive transitions and panning shots the show employs but it is shot beautifully and the action sequences are top notch. It just looks so damn good as well. They've matched and exceeded my expectations of what combat and action sequences in Trek should look like in this day and age. Better than the movies without a doubt, for me.

Really hope we get to see a good chuck of season 3 focusing on the equation of Discovery in the future and we don't get some hamfisted deus ex machina that allows them to return back to the present ASAP. There's a lot of potential, especially from an interpersonal dynamic of the crew standpoint, they can really flesh out in that setting along with a lot of other unanswered questions to explore. If this season has been any indication, Discovery has found its footing and is starting to settle into its lane. It knows what it is now and seems to be hitting that sweet spot TNG and DS9 did where they just started to come into their own during that late season 2 and onward period in their runs.

And yeah, really going to miss Pike. Was already looking forward to the Georgiou and Picard spinoffs but it'd be a crime not to see more of Pike. I worry about over saturation at this point (hopefully those series only go 3-4 seasons) and wish they'd put together a true anthology series focusing on a specific crew and/or ship each season for 12-15 episodes. Gives them the flexibility to revisit, expound and crossover pretty seamlessly if they choose to do so.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
...so having just finished the episode, something occurs to me.

Roddenberry and Barrett both worked to develop the idea of a show about a noble officer of a Federation like entity being cast far into the future, after said entity's collapse; Roddenberry never lived to see it, Barrett did, as Andromeda. We know from the Calypso short that
the Federation, or its successor state as the V'draysh, was at war with Craft's people. Unless it secretly turns out he's actually with the aggressors, which would be unusual for a focal character, then such would implicitly suggest the Federation has fallen from what it once was, actively pursuing war with others. So, with the knowledge that Discovery is going to be dumped into the future, unless they really do figure out a solution to bring everyone back in the final episode...

Maybe we're going to see Andromeda as played out in Star Trek for real? The scene with the crew confirming they'd stick with Michael seemed very implicitly 'regardless of the change in setting or premise' - that we'd be keeping them as opposed to Michael getting to know a new cast and crew. Add in the fact that the series was originally intended as an anthology across multiple time periods, and it seems... Weirdly plausible, to imagine a bunch of explorers from the Federation's golden age now having to try and fix it. Hell, the word around the Picard show suggests it dealing with the Federation at risk of internal instability over the Romulan Empire falling apart, so the idea seems to be there in the writing room at the moment.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Spock's going too, so obviously...he comes back and does so in the next few years. Which begs the question how they'll prevent the others from coming back.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gonna be supremely bummed when the crew comes back without the ship and season 3 is still set in the same time period. Would love for them to take the leap into the distant future for good, but they'd never have the guts to do it.

Spock's going too, so obviously...he comes back and does so in the next few years. Which begs the question how they'll prevent the others from coming back.

From the preview, it looks like he's probably going to wind up staying behind after all.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
...so having just finished the episode, something occurs to me.

Roddenberry and Barrett both worked to develop the idea of a show about a noble officer of a Federation like entity being cast far into the future, after said entity's collapse; Roddenberry never lived to see it, Barrett did, as Andromeda. We know from the Calypso short that
the Federation, or its successor state as the V'draysh, was at war with Craft's people. Unless it secretly turns out he's actually with the aggressors, which would be unusual for a focal character, then such would implicitly suggest the Federation has fallen from what it once was, actively pursuing war with others. So, with the knowledge that Discovery is going to be dumped into the future, unless they really do figure out a solution to bring everyone back in the final episode...

Maybe we're going to see Andromeda as played out in Star Trek for real? The scene with the crew confirming they'd stick with Michael seemed very implicitly 'regardless of the change in setting or premise' - that we'd be keeping them as opposed to Michael getting to know a new cast and crew. Add in the fact that the series was originally intended as an anthology across multiple time periods, and it seems... Weirdly plausible, to imagine a bunch of explorers from the Federation's golden age now having to try and fix it. Hell, the word around the Picard show suggests it dealing with the Federation at risk of internal instability over the Romulan Empire falling apart, so the idea seems to be there in the writing room at the moment.
That would be really interesting. Holy crap...

Bug lady is Trance.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Short satisfaction seeing Leland shoot Tilley.
Georgiou telling Pike she's a Terran last minute and that wink. Perfect exchange 😆

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I demand a new Star Trek series starring Pike and Spock before Kirk takes control of the Enterprise.

I'm going to miss that man. And Spock too. So far Pike has become one of my favorite captains.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I can't wait until next week. I think there is a good chance season 3 will be set after Nemesis. Spock will stay behind obviously.

Or maybe the crew finds a way back after all?

Were there any hints in the preview?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Convenient how all the bridge cast decides to stay, that way no recasting/replacements :P

That said, I'm sad about Pike leaving. Dude was awesome and Anson Mount played him really well. Gave off a Kirk but vibe but more responsible and less of a dick. Man this season of Discovery really is something special compared to the first one which in hindsight was pure average.

Gonna be supremely bummed when the crew comes back without the ship and season 3 is still set in the same time period. Would love for them to take the leap into the distant future for good, but they'd never have the guts to do it.

From the preview, it looks like he's probably going to wind up staying behind after all.
Honestly it'd be fuckin amazing if season 3 onwards Discovery becomes a post TNG/DS9 era show and becomes the last thing in canon...even further than Picard's show.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or, hear me out, Discovery gets shoved into the distant past accidentally... with Control/Leland having managed to get aboard.

They managed to get rid of Control/Leland (on a planet in the Delta Quadrant!) and find a way to send themselves to the future, but the ship has to take the long way. They massively overshoot and end up in the 33rd century. Thus tying into Calypso.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Put Spock in a blue Enterprise uniform you cowards.

That Enterprise set was fantastic. A lot of care and attention went into creating it. I'm really growing attached to DISCO, but I really don't like Georgiou. She comes off as the least subtle character in the world. Her "I'm from the mirror universe by the way" felt really heavy handed.

Jan 29, 2018
Put Spock in a blue Enterprise uniform you cowards.

That Enterprise set was fantastic. A lot of care and attention went into creating it. I'm really growing attached to DISCO, but I really don't like Georgiou. She comes off as the least subtle character in the world. Her "I'm from the mirror universe by the way" felt really heavy handed.

Spock in the blue uniform will probably be in the last five minutes of the finale.

I liked Georgiou's Mirror Universe tease at Pike, because of course he figured it out because she isn't subtle at all. He was briefed on Lorca and had met original Georgiou. What was out if place was a few weeks ago when Georgiou referred to the "prime" universe by that name.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Was it the original Enterprise set and props retrofitted to make it modern? I can't imagine them changing the originals i.e. if they still have them (though I don't know why they'd get rid of the original from TOS since it's so iconic).

Also who's the Enterprise first officer suppose to be? They focused on her quite specifically so I assumed she's important.

Edit: Oh right she's the unnamed XO originally played by Barrett in the pilot of TOS. Thought so.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Was it the original Enterprise set and props retrofitted to make it modern? I can't imagine them changing the originals i.e. if they still have them (though I don't know why they'd get rid of the original from TOS since it's so iconic).

Also who's the Enterprise first officer suppose to be? They focused on her quite specifically so I assumed she's important.

Pretty sure the original set was destroyed in a flood or something

That lady is the Enterprise first officer. She only appeared once in the old show though.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I liked Georgiou's Mirror Universe tease at Pike, because of course he figured it out because she isn't subtle at all. He was briefed on Lorca and had met original Georgiou. What was out if place was a few weeks ago when Georgiou referred to the "prime" universe by that name.

I had just assumed that Michael explained it to him. They had a moment earlier in the season where she said she wouldn't but it would have to be later.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Do3jI69X4AEZRA2.jpg

She was Number One in the original pilot played by Majel Barrett who went onto play loads of characters and most ships computers, also Rodenberry's wife.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

Nah, all that stuff is long gone. Even if they weren't, those sets were built in the 1960's, you wouldn't want to use them. Even for that episode of TNG where Scotty goes to the bridge in the holodeck, I think they got a fan-made captain's chair.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I had just assumed that Michael explained it to him. They had a moment earlier in the season where she said she wouldn't but it would have to be later.
A bit strange how she'd call a different universe prime and her own mirror, as if acknowledging that prime universe is more important :P

That said I never really got why Michael was still soft on her knowing Philipa's a terran, and the terran empress nonetheless. Is it just because of how she felt about prime Philipa? Even so it did seem that she grew a liking to mirror Philipa.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That said I never really got why Michael was still soft on her knowing Philipa's a terran, and the terran empress nonetheless. Is it just because of how she felt about prime Philipa? Even so it did seem that she grew a liking to mirror Philipa.

I don't think it was Michael's decision. If I remember right the information was classified by Starfleet command.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
after watching this episode I'm more than sure that I want a enterprise series with pike, number one, spock and saru and can live happily without discovery, burnham, annoying tilly and tyler

make it so cbs

Window

Oct 27, 2017
So Michael's gonna get the captaincy right? Or will Saru sneak in at the last moment?

Uneven episode but it had its good moments. And yeah I also thought the retractable/unfolding bridge was silly (just like the helmets are).

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So Michael's gonna get the captaincy right? Or will Saru sneak in at the last moment?

Uneven episode but it had its good moments. And yeah I also thought the retractable/unfolding bridge was silly (just like the helmets are).
I don't see why Michael should get the captaincy over Saru, who has proven himself as a level headed leader.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why Michael should get the captaincy over Saru, who has proven himself as a level headed leader.
I think the show's been building towards Michael as captain since episode 1. There were being very coy about this subject in this episode with Saru being given command for the battle only (for now).

Although I also think Saru is better fitted to be captain. Michael's characterization has taken sharp turns since the beginning of the series.

Jan 29, 2018
It better be Saru, but the way he cut Pike off before he could field promote someone suggests Saru will have some reason to step aside for Michael.

Which is dumb, and also less interesting than having the main character not be the captain.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Also, if Culber will be gone at the end of this season (as he said he'll be moving to the Enterprise), the lengths they went to bring him back would be one of the dumbest things this show has done.