• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Did something fly out of the wormhole at the very end, or was that just debris/my imagination? Maybe that was Georgiou?

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgiou has been confirmed to be in season 3 though, so unless they where lying it was probably nothing
Oh, I did not know that.

Well, I'll finish it. I did not have anything against the episode per se, it's just that it was showing the same cheese pattern.

I am not liking how they handled the whole thing. Is it going to change or shall I not bother?
No one can tell you if you will like something or not. If you think the show is bad up to this point, that is unlikely to change.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That finale was fantastic. I enjoyed the first season with its faults but this season was all around a huge improvement and was consistently enjoyable throughout. I can't wait for season 3 and hopefully they do a Pike show as well someday. I was wary of their introduction initially since I haven't seen TOS and thought it might have been too pandery but it worked out really well. Same with Spock and Michaels relationship which resulted in some of the best scenes in the season.

You were worried about something being pandery when you hadn't even seen the thing it may have pandered to?

Oct 28, 2017
That ending felt like a series finale. Hopefully we never have to see Michael again.

The fandom are agreed: we want Pike.

Hit it.gif

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The fanbase of Star Trek is what made Discovery possible. So the lack of respect given to Star Trek fans in this thread when they point out how Discovery has disappointed them is a sad thing to read.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
You were worried about something being pandery when you hadn't even seen the thing it may have pandered to?

I thought they might try to lean way harder into the nostalgia angle of it and sort of take away from Discovery being its own thing. Though they struck a good balance.

Oct 26, 2017
The fanbase of Star Trek is what made Discovery possible. So the lack of respect given to Star Trek fans in this thread when they point out how Discovery has disappointed them is a sad thing to read.
I am also a star trek fan and I happen to enjoy this show. What do you want to happen here, for one group of people who enjoy it to stop watching entirely and for the whole thing to be cancelled because another group finds it all disappointing?

One group of fans doesn't have sole dominion over the franchise.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That ending felt like a series finale. Hopefully we never have to see Michael again.

The fandom are agreed: we want Pike.

Hit it.gif
Always amusing when salty grognards elevate themselves to spokespersons of the fandom

c4a.gif

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do you want to happen here, for one group of people who enjoy it to stop watching entirely and for the whole thing to be cancelled because another group finds it all disappointing?

What does the poster want? Probably just not to be jumped on for discussing the show, including its failings. One can't post anything about how nonsensical particular plot points or character decisions are without getting responses about how Janeway turned into a salamander back on that one episode of Voyager, so we should just suck it up.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Bittersweet finale.

I loved everything about this season. Would i love for an Enterprise Spin-off just to spend more time with Pike, hell yeah. Am i excited about things to come, hell yeah!

This finale was definitely conceived as some kind of "if we get canceled after this, it'd be reasonably satisfying, if we don't we'll have everything in place for more Discovery - without all those timeline shenanigans"

What i'm not sure they expected was the overwhelmingly positive response to Pike and Spock.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am also a star trek fan and I happen to enjoy this show. What do you want to happen here, for one group of people who enjoy it to stop watching entirel
y and for the whole thing to be cancelled because another group finds it all disappointing?

One group of fans doesn't have sole dominion over the franchise.

Of course fans shouldn't stop watching, or any one group have dominion. But there seems to be a subset of new fans who lack manners. 😂

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no reason to respect those who complain about nonsense and remain bitter about Discovery. Most of them aren't Star Trek fans anymore, as all many tend to do is complain and link to angry YouTube rants. That act has gotten boring and stale over the past two years.

They are stuck in the past and unable to accept anything new. Which is exactly the opposite of what Star Trek at its core always represented.

Let those scared of change go watch their angry YouTube videos about how Trek was "stolen" from them and let Star Trek do what it continues to do in spades, do NEW things.

Last edited:

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is no reason to respect those who complain about nonsense and remain bitter about Discovery. They aren't Star Trek fans.

They are stuck in the past and unable to accept anything new. Which is exactly the opposite of what Star Trek at its core always represented.

That's a lot of big assumptions. And if anything Discovery is a regression of Roddenberry's ideas. (yes, I know he was a baddd man😒)

I'm really looking forward to Season 3 though. It's like the Sonic game cycle.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Too many pew-pew laser battles in the first two acts for me, those who enjoyed the Deep Space Nine battles must have been thrilled though.

Like Season 1 I felt the back half of 2 was much more enjoyable than the first few episodes. I especially enjoyed the hand waving away of the spore drive so all the nerds can stop complaining about that and start moaning that ordering military officers not to divulge classified information is unrealistic

Very much TNG season 2 to me, it's good, not quite there yet, but it's getting there.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
For all the shit I've given Discovery for its (not insignificant) flaws, these past two episodes were really enjoyable. There were some pretty great sequences, character moments, and just overall it felt a lot more like Trek than pretty much anything we've seen coming out of the franchise since the end of the last tv show.

I'd sign up for that Pike Enterprise show now, they already have the main set and the cast, all they need to do is start production.

Last edited:

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Too many pew-pew laser battles in the first two acts for me, those who enjoyed the Deep Space Nine battles must have been thrilled though.

Like Season 1 I felt the back half of 2 was much more enjoyable than the first few episodes. I especially enjoyed the hand waving away of the spore drive so all the nerds can stop complaining about that and start moaning that ordering military officers not to divulge classified information is unrealistic

Very much TNG season 2 to me, it's good, not quite there yet, but it's getting there.

When the camera pulled back and showed the ships it did look super fantastic.

All the takes on the iconic star trek ship nacelle designs through all Star Trek series have been fabulous.

Enterprise D being the best obvs, and even the bulbous science vessels. 😍

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the finale, and I'm looking forward to see the future. Wondering if they will go far to the future, after Picard series, or it will run at the same time with Picard Trek. Regardless of that, this was an enjoyable season.

Also, again, I also want a Pike and Spock miniseries. Come on CBS, Mount and Peck nailed their characters. And it would be great to have a series about them before Kirk takes command of the Enterprise.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Happo

Jul 5, 2018
Glass ceiling in the corridor exposed to falling turbolifts... amazing

Strong ending, but plot was all over the place and the more i think about it, the more it falls apart. My head hurts thinking about this season, what a mess.

Now just pop Discovery into the post-voyager timeline and start again without spore drives and time travel, stop relying on nostalgia and create your own stories.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched this season but did the evil Georgiou also travel to the future? I thought they wanted to make a Section 31 show with her?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

As a said Niner I liked not because there were pew-pew laser battles (really were going to snob over this?) but because of the reasons the battle was happening. Sacrifice to save the galaxy and to Honor the ideals of the Federation by fighting for them.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Glass ceiling in the corridor exposed to falling turbolifts... amazing

Strong ending, but plot was all over the place and the more i think about it, the more it falls apart. My head hurts thinking about this season, what a mess.

Now just pop Discovery into the post-voyager timeline and start again without spore drives and time travel, stop relying on nostalgia and create your own stories.

These are the voyages of the starship Discovery. Its mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no Burnham has gone before!

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed the season, and whew, that ending.

Looking forward to S3, S31, and hopefully a Pike series.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
What a great finale I can't wait for Season 3 now! Although I have to say that one scene was unnecessarily dumb.

Admiral Cornwell had no right to die. Even if the transporters couldn't beam her out because of torpedo-radiation or whatever, they could have send one of these hull-repair droids to pull the lever, like what the hell o.o

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Great ending. Can't wait to see what Season 3 has in store.

Also, echoing everyone here: More Pike! And Number One! And Spock! And the Enterprise!

"Goodbye, Captain Pike."
"Goodbye my friends... my family."

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Georgiou's laugh at the end with Lealand was great. I love Michelle Yeoh.
I haven't liked evil Georgiou a lot (there's such a thing as too much of a good thing) but yeah she was great this episode.

Goddamn at that space battle. How much is CBS spending on this series? I have not been a big fan of the storytelling in this show (still am not) but it undoubtedly knows how to do high octane large scale action. Also loved the time jump visualisations.

By the way, what was the reason Spock pulled to ban all mention of Discovery from records and personnel? I missed it as it was too fast.

Edit: Pike had some great lines this episode but "my family" was...ugh.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck, Number One is Rebecca Romijn? didn't recognize her at all with that hair color.

Not sure about spoiler rules right now, but.

So it didn't really tie into Calypso at all? unless Calypso was 1000 years into the future, from where Disco ends up now? Also no tie in with the Harry Mudd short, so maybe not all shorts were not planned to have direct effect on the series?
And why was the guy interviewing the crew at the end so "hidden", just for effect or were the showrunners trying to hide the identity?

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
This show has grown on me so much. Can't wait for season 3 now that they're no longer tied to trying shoe horn into the original time line. Also, more Pike.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, Number One is Rebecca Romijn? didn't recognize her at all with that hair color.

Not sure about spoiler rules right now, but.

So it didn't really tie into Calypso at all? unless Calypso was 1000 years into the future, from where Disco ends up now? Also no tie in with the Harry Mudd short, so maybe not all shorts were not planned to have direct effect on the series?
And why was the guy interviewing the crew at the end so "hidden", just for effect or were the showrunners trying to hide the identity?

We don't even get a glimpse of what was waiting for DSC on the other side. I figure Calypso could end up tying in to next season.
Mudd might have just been for fun but it could also be a setup/excuse for them to have a silly episode where DSC runs across a Mudd android 900 years later long after the man himself is gone.

Oct 25, 2017
We don't even get a glimpse of what was waiting for DSC on the other side. I figure Calypso could end up tying in to next season.
Mudd might have just been for fun but it could also be a setup/excuse for them to have a silly episode where DSC runs across a Mudd android 900 years later long after the man himself is gone.
That would be hilarious but yeah unless I misunderstood Calypso, Disco has to make it back to TOS time and then get abandoned to make it 1000 years into the 32nd century. Which is when Calypso takes place...so we'll see in season 3. I hope they don't just ignore it and say it was a 'different' timeline or whatever.

I could stare at this all day

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What contracts did the actors have? Could Discovery be Poochied and we get a Pike, Spock and Number One show instead. 😜

Window

Oct 27, 2017
What contracts did the actors have? Could Discovery be Poochied and we get a Pike, Spock and Number One show instead. 😜
Honestly with the way this season ended it felt as if that was it for Discovery and next season was going to follow the adventures of Pike and team. Obviously not true but that was a weird note to end on.