• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
That was some of the most gorgeous sci-fi I have ever seen.
02k3ozw.gif

MvrSNdD.gif

HNJoURP.gif

fantastic finale, great sendoff for the enterprise and I am excited where Discovery will take us in season 3.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I found it a little odd that Saru didn't say goodbye to his sister at the end, nor did she say anything to herself like "Good luck" or something like that.

As for the time crystal burning up, I took it as it was only if it was making a large jump to future without anchoring in the present. The other signals were merely a few weeks/months in the past with an anchor in the present. What I don't understand is how Michael left a signal several centuries in the future and it was seen in the past....that doesn't seem right. Unless I missed something.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017

MvrSNdD.gif

fantastic finale, great sendoff for the enterprise and I am excited where Discovery will take us in season 3.
it bothers me that none of the ships actually move in this gif although we've seen in close ups how enterprise moves in front of discovery many times or how the captains give all kind of movement patterns

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Gene Roddenberry had to take off number one because the executives did not like a woman in charge?
That never happened, Roddenberry just lied about it. NBC liked the idea of a strong female first officer, they didn't like Majel Barrett because they considered her to be a weak actress and because she was Roddenberry's mistress and they had no interest in having her in a major role because of that. He could have recast, the decision to eliminate the character entirely was Roddenberry's. He lied about a lot of things to make himself look better.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have long since concluded that Roddenberry was a hack and Gene Coon was the real genius behind Star trek

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
900 years is a crazy amount of time

technology is already basically magic in TNG and this is 800 years later

d3nchija

Oct 28, 2017
London
That scene where Burnham jumps out from the hangar of the Discovery while camera follows her with her flight and all the surrounding ships, combined with the music...I was floored.

Epic stuff. Had to rewind couple of times just to experience it again!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
02k3ozw.gif

MvrSNdD.gif

HNJoURP.gif

Compare that to season 1's visuals. That Terran Empire mothership was like some bad '90s CD-ROM game.

That never happened, Roddenberry just lied about it. NBC liked the idea of a strong female first officer, they didn't like Majel Barrett because they considered her to be a weak actress and because she was Roddenberry's mistress and they had no interest in having her in a major role because of that. He could have recast, the decision to eliminate the character entirely was Roddenberry's. He lied about a lot of things to make himself look better.
Like how Roddenberry secretly wrote lyrics for the Star Trek theme so he'd get royalties from it? The whole image the fans had built around him was like... yeah.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Someone remind me what were shields like in TOS (or did we even see them?). I'm just trying to remember if we saw them as the bubble type this early.
We never saw them really until TNG. I don't think we even saw shield effects in the TOS movies, though on screen displays seemed to imply the hull tight ones we've seen in Discovery.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
Fun little piece of visual continuity I noticed during the episode, the effect when they go through the wormhole, is the same as in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the finale. Cinematography is exceptional in Discovery.

Can not wait to see what plot threads are explored in the, where are they going, 28th or 29th century. The possibilities are endless.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The season had promise at the beginning, where it seemed like they were going to do smaller stories to develop the rest of the cast but then it just turned into season 1's hyper intense nonsense again. At this point I just want a clean slate for season 3 but considering how this season turned out I'm not sure if that will actually fix anything.

Who knows. Apparently that one door was the keystone for the rest of the ship, made from the most durable substance in the galaxy considering Pike just stands right outside of the room to watch Cornwell get vaporized along with the front section of the saucer section.

How about you just science more.....

So, i guess its demolitions lesson time.

For all of you wondering how Pike survived. it's simple and actually correct from a physics perspective. An explosion in an enclosed space would send it's pressure omni-directionally but... since there was a big hole on one side of that enclosed area the majority of the pressure would vent to and through that area. This is the theory behnd how both underwater demolitions and shaped charges work.

Class dismissed.

Edit: Also that wormhole effect was a nice visual callback to Star Trek; The motion Picture

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Is it me or is this sequence, particularly the end bit, an homage to Revenge of the Sith's opening? Just the way that fighter crashes into the Enterprise at the end.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
How about you just science more.....

They showed the extent of the damage, it took out almost a quarter of the saucer section. In controlled demolitions, they use multiple small explosives not a single massive torpedo haphazardly lodged in a ship. The idea of Pike standing right outside the door basically unaffected outside of the glare of the explosion is dumb, especially considering the rest of the episode has everyone flying from wall to wall on every hit to the sheilds in typical Star Trek fashion.

It was a dumb death that could have been easily avoided in the show but they needed it for some dumb stakes for the finale.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They showed the extent of the damage, it took out almost a quarter of the saucer section. In controlled demolitions, they use multiple small explosives not a single massive torpedo haphazardly lodged in a ship. The idea of Pike standing right outside the door basically unaffected outside of the glare of the explosion is dumb, especially considering the rest of the episode has everyone flying from wall to wall on every hit to the sheilds in typical Star Trek fashion.

It was a dumb death that could have been easily avoided in the show but they needed it for some dumb stakes for the finale.
Read my whole post and not just the small example i used, Regardless and explosion with that much open space would vent out and yeah a blast door would be designed to be highly resistant to oh, i don't know...explosions maybe?

Discovery has its issues but it seems like some of you go into these epsodes looking for ways to proclaim how bad Discovery is.

Oct 25, 2017
Explosions will always go through the path of least resistance. On one side you have a blast door and on the other a weakened exposed, probably not even shielded section of a ship inside a vacuum. I agree her death was dumb but the explosion wasn't.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen dumber stuff and deaths on Star Trek than that stupid blast door scene. Whatever.

Oh, and I liked the finale. Almost loved it, if it weren't for the typical drama and maybe how convoluted the battle was

Pretty impressive how the both managed to basically say Discovery doesn't matter in the timeline, but it did! lol.

I didn't manage to keep up with a lot of the technobabble and plans, but I don't think in the end it mattered. People who get their nickers in a bunch with trying to find sense and science in science fiction, won't enjoy much.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
I'm also glad to see the return of Beam phasers and disruptors, just one of those nitpicks I had with season one that i'm so glad is fixed.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Read my whole post and not just the small example i used, Regardless and explosion with that much open space would vent out and yeah a blast door would be designed to be highly resistant to oh, i don't know...explosions maybe?

Discovery has its issues but it seems like some of you go into these epsodes looking for ways to proclaim how bad Discovery is.

There's a difference between resistant and completely indestructible, capable of defusing the explosive impact completely. Again, pretty much every scene in the episode had the crew flying around the room from smaller hits to the shields. Pike just standing there was dumb considering the resulting hole in the ship.

And I get it, that detail is hardly the most outrageous thing in Star Trek. It's a series that had slingshotting around the sun to go back in time. It's just the combination of the scene trying really hard to make Cornwell's "sacrifice" seem noble instead completely pointless on top of pretty much immediately nullifying the severity of the explosion in the moment. It's something that plagues Discovery, its need to add a bunch of nonsense dramatic moments and it's frustrating to watch in a show I otherwise enjoy.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Any theories as to how the Star Trek short Calypso will fit into this?

I think it would be interesting if Zora was introduced.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know I was thinking, this could've been a perfect point for them to change discovery into an anthology series or a pike series. Though I'm not sure how they'd have dealt with the name then. But as we know it's not happening and we are indeed getting future Discovery, I just hope it's not like mirror universe where they see Federation destroyed (ala Andromeda, please don't want that here) and then come back to present.

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Just watched the final episode.

I'm gonna miss Captain Pike. I'd watch a show about him and the current Enterprise crew.