• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how far the Federation has expanded in the 32nd century, you could have Klingons, Cardassians and Romulans all part of the federation.

The Federation could also have reached its peak and now in the stagnation and decline phase

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm just hoping we get to see how some of the other species are doing. It's the same thing I'm interested in seeing in Picard's show. Seeing how a lot of them did after the Dominion war.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how far the Federation has expanded in the 32nd century, you could have Klingons, Cardassians and Romulans all part of the federation.

The Federation could also have reached its peak and now in the stagnation and decline phase
I think Klingons were mentioned as members by the time of the Enterprise-J which was around the 26th Century.

By the 32nd Century I'd imagine the Federation are exploring other galaxies, along with continuing their studies of history. In the 31st Century there were no indications of stagnation/decline.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the federation would ever go into decline, if only because it has an insane amount of resources and space magic by post voyager. I think it is more likely the federation would still be growing, but its ideals could have been warped by a few bad governments to the point it is barely recognisable. The federation and starfleet have been on the edge of totalitarianism and questionable moral policies, and that was even without section 31 to justify it.

Of all the species mentioned here, I think the collective Dominion is the one that is most interesting. Did the Dominion reform or merely retreat to their part of space and bide their time?

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Was the 2 parter the actual finale? Or mid season? As definitely enjoyed that arc and when is more happening? I hope pike sticks around though.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
By the 32nd Century I'd imagine the Federation are exploring other galaxies, ...
No way, our own galaxy would still be largely unexplored by then, there are several hundred billion stars in it, even if the federation managed to visit 10.000 new star systems per day (which is a ridiculously large number) it would still take them tems of thousands of years just to visit every star once.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
I really enjoyed this season and finale.

I do have some gripes;
  • Control - Knowing what it has to do and everything its a very 2D thinker. Why not disable Discovery's engines? Why not shoot the torpedo lodged in the Enterprise? It seems that for something that would protect the federation its not very clever or long term planning.
  • The Battle - It was a visually amazing battle but considering the abuse that both the Enterprise and Discovery suffer. The power behind the S31 ships are so poor. Enterprise is obvious exception due to it being the top of the line but damn, it felt more like S31 just had more to attack with and was a war of nutrition instead of destructiveness.
Though on the Plus side;

• Pike was amazing.
  • The visualisation of time travel

• This scene, and it generally making me love the Ship design of Discovery.
HNJoURP.gif

-

I hope good things from Season 3 as they are now freed up, but we will see. We never did find out what Reno saw.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
One thing I wished we'd have gotten to see was Michelle Yeoh go absolute ham with a great choreographed fight scene.
Don't get me wrong, as it was, her fights were great, but I wanted something a little above and beyond. Maybe next season.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
That never happened, Roddenberry just lied about it. NBC liked the idea of a strong female first officer, they didn't like Majel Barrett because they considered her to be a weak actress and because she was Roddenberry's mistress and they had no interest in having her in a major role because of that. He could have recast, the decision to eliminate the character entirely was Roddenberry's. He lied about a lot of things to make himself look better.
All I know about him I learned watching the documentaries about Star Trek so this comes as a big surprise to me. They always talk about how he was visionary and how he fought to ensure that his vision of an egalitarian future was kept in the series.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I really enjoyed this season and finale.

I do have some gripes;
  • Control - Knowing what it has to do and everything its a very 2D thinker. Why not disable Discovery's engines? Why not shoot the torpedo lodged in the Enterprise? It seems that for something that would protect the federation its not very clever or long term planning.
  • The Battle - It was a visually amazing battle but considering the abuse that both the Enterprise and Discovery suffer. The power behind the S31 ships are so poor. Enterprise is obvious exception due to it being the top of the line but damn, it felt more like S31 just had more to attack with and was a war of nutrition instead of destructiveness.

Are the S31 ships battle class? I thought stealth would be their main priority.

Oct 25, 2017

Spock looks goofy but omg I need this show

I also think Spock looks a little goofy in his current form. I think they have to suit the look to the actor a little for Ethan instead of trying to cram the actor into the look.

My thinking is that they should allow his hair to be just a little more shaggy. Just a hint of what he had in bearded form, a little bit of a jagged edge lightly swept to one side (instead of the razor edge bowl cut).
And then reduce the size of those monster sideburns to something more reasonable.

Spock is shown with messier hair in his days with Pike in TOS so they can still get away with straying from the perfect bowl cut a little even while he's back to business on the bridge.

Also on my list for the spinoff series I've already decided is happening: They need to stop slaughtering the color of the bridge with blue filters. It looks so much better in all these BTS photos where the real set colors get to shine through and actors skin doesn't look cool grey.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I'm wondering if they aren't gauging interest for an Enterprise show.

I keep seeing tweets like this:

and this:

Lemme make it REAL easy for you, CBS.

Film that shit now.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if they aren't gauging interest for an Enterprise show.

I keep seeing tweets like this:

and this:

Lemme make it REAL easy for you, CBS.

Film that shit now.

There's certainly got to be discussions of it going on atm, I'd say.

Spock and Pike have both been some of the most well received elements of the season - Pike especially - and while both are somewhat secured by their legacies in subsequent Trek fiction, there is also the promise of their otherwise unexplored time together. Pike particularly has the benefit that his other media appearances are not so well defined; I suspect as far as most fans are becoming concerned, Anson Mount is Pike, and any subsequent adventures with him would be the development of the character proper - technically a prequel but without the usual restrictions on a character's development such might infer.

And yes, there is the potential matter of it as a 'counter' series to the rest of CBS' currently considered lineup. The Picard show is no doubt likely to more of drama piece to cap off Patrick Stewart's career. You can feel the potential edge of a Section 31 series just thinking about it. Discovery we've currently no clue, but is likely in a position to be able to go some weird places with the ostensible limitations of a TOS era thrown off.

So then, if you wanted to be able to sell some 'classic' Trek, well...

The man's looking for work.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
You can feel the potential edge of a Section 31 series just thinking about it.
The most recent interview about the Section 31 series said that it'll start a somewhat kinder, more fun Georgiou and be more about planet hopping and helping other civilizations, so that doesn't sound particularly edgy to me. But it's hard to say how that will come together given it's like two years away too

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So I marathoned Discovery this past week and I went in expecting to hate it, but I actually enjoyed it. Some thoughts.
Season 1 had a decent idea, but the execution left a lot to be desired. However a lot of my biggest gripes come from me being a nit picker when it comes to details. Things like holographic communications and the look of the Klingons really bug me. It was interesting to have a Captain that was more on the dirty side, but I think the would Mirror Universe twist was a bit of a stretch. Lorca generally still did things that were for the good of others with his dirtiest moment probably being him not jumping at the chance to save Cornwell because that could lead to him losing command of his ship. On the other hand it did lead to Mirror Georgiou being a recurring character and she's great. Overall the back end of the season is kind of a mess, but a mess that at least has Mirror Georgiou. Have they said whether or not Lorca was planned to be from the Mirror Universe from the beginning?

Season 2 was a massive improvement, the signals were a pretty great MacGuffin to allow for your typical episodic Trek stories while tying them all together via an overarching story and making sure the episodic stuff actually matters. They improved a lot of the stuff I nit picked too, they pretty much got rid of holographic communication, though not in a way that explains why we don't see it in heavy use even 100 years later and greatly improved the look of the Klingons, though I think they still need a bit of work. As for Control, did it become more advanced because of the probe from Discovery that came back from the future? If not it seems like a weird jump to go from being a non sentient AI to being hungry for full consciousness.
One of the strongest things the show has is characters. I think Burnham is a bit bland, but the actress does a great job. I really like Saru, Tilly and Stamets, Ash and L'Rell are both interesting, though why did her skin color change in season 2? Pike and Spock are great and I really hope we get a series starting them. I appreciate that the expanded cast of non main characters also stays pretty consistent.
I am extremely excited about season 3 because of that finale, I mean holy shit, the possibilities. I think this show found its footing faster than some other Trek shows, like TNG.
I'm just hoping we get to see how some of the other species are doing. It's the same thing I'm interested in seeing in Picard's show. Seeing how a lot of them did after the Dominion war.
Same. I hope that by the 32nd century the Federation has a faster means of travel than Warp engines. Maybe they've got some nice transwarp engines so the whole galaxy is explorable. Discovery is already able to easily travel the whole galaxy, so they would be able to keep up in that regard and the potential stories could include any established Star Trek race or location.
I don't think the federation would ever go into decline, if only because it has an insane amount of resources and space magic by post voyager. I think it is more likely the federation would still be growing, but its ideals could have been warped by a few bad governments to the point it is barely recognisable. The federation and starfleet have been on the edge of totalitarianism and questionable moral policies, and that was even without section 31 to justify it.

Of all the species mentioned here, I think the collective Dominion is the one that is most interesting. Did the Dominion reform or merely retreat to their part of space and bide their time?
I got the impression from Calypso (Which I guess takes place in the 42nd century or so) that the Federation was no longer around.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 (and even season 2) suffered a bit because of BTS issues, Disco started as an idea on an Anthology series by Brian Fuller, but that was rejected by CBS because it would be too expensive so they decided on a regular show, then Fuller left during production and they brought in new show runners (and new writers too I assume) and so there is this kinda weird mesh of ideas going on in season 1. Season 2 also had issues in that the original show runners for that were fired during production, which is when Kurtzman was brought in to lead Disco (and later all Star Trek CBS Stuff) so I can't imagine that not affecting the show in some way. Of course we don't know for sure exactly what was planned and what they kept/added later but moving forward hopefully with less BTS issues we get a more solidified season 3. I still loved season 1 and 2 though.

Jan 29, 2018
I re-watched the season premiere and New Eden before my CBS sub expired last night. We know that Burnham was the one that made the red signals (whatever those are that can be created by the suit and detected thousands of light years away) in the asteroid field and over Terralysium, but it was Burnham's mother who appeared to her on the asteroid when she was injured, correct? And the red signal that brings them to Terralysium in episode 2 is not the same red signal that the Enterprise detects at the end of the season... so that's the eighth signal? That was somehow sent back in time?

I'm simultaneously excited to see how the new direction for season 3 pans out and also disappointed that we won't be exploring the TOS era anymore. I never really bought the argument that the prequel setting limits what they could do (that much). The Federation is huge, 150 worlds by TNG era and we've heard of maybe 20 of those worlds. Unexplored space is even bigger. You could do so much without stepping on canon's toes, especially if you didn't have cataclysmic stakes the way we did in these first two seasons. Plus we've had 21 seasons of TV exploring the TNG era, and only five (TOS plus STD) in the 23rd century.

Still, seeing something completely new and advancing the Trek timeline in a huge way (while skipping over the dumb Temporal Cold War and time investigator stuff). People are going to be pissed though when some season 3 or 4 antagonist race ends up being the descendants of the thought-wiped-out Klingons/Vulcans/Cardassians/whatever. Also when they find Chief O'Brien trapped in a transporter buffer somewhere.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I re-watched the season premiere and New Eden before my CBS sub expired last night. We know that Burnham was the one that made the red signals (whatever those are that can be created by the suit and detected thousands of light years away) in the asteroid field and over Terralysium, but it was Burnham's mother who appeared to her on the asteroid when she was injured, correct? And the red signal that brings them to Terralysium in episode 2 is not the same red signal that the Enterprise detects at the end of the season... so that's the eighth signal? That was somehow sent back in time?

I'm simultaneously excited to see how the new direction for season 3 pans out and also disappointed that we won't be exploring the TOS era anymore. I never really bought the argument that the prequel setting limits what they could do (that much). The Federation is huge, 150 worlds by TNG era and we've heard of maybe 20 of those worlds. Unexplored space is even bigger. You could do so much without stepping on canon's toes, especially if you didn't have cataclysmic stakes the way we did in these first two seasons. Plus we've had 21 seasons of TV exploring the TNG era, and only five (TOS plus STD) in the 23rd century.

Still, seeing something completely new and advancing the Trek timeline in a huge way (while skipping over the dumb Temporal Cold War and time investigator stuff). People are going to be pissed though when some season 3 or 4 antagonist race ends up being the descendants of the thought-wiped-out Klingons/Vulcans/Cardassians/whatever. Also when they find Chief O'Brien trapped in a transporter buffer somewhere.
No, the Red Angel when she was injured was herself.
The signal at Terralysium was one of the first signals and the one at the end of the season was signal 7, there is no 8th one. Burnham did the 7th signal as a message so that Spock, Pike and co. knew they safely made it to the future.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
As for Control, did it become more advanced because of the probe from Discovery that came back from the future? If not it seems like a weird jump to go from being a non sentient AI to being hungry for full consciousness.
That probe that attached itself to the shuttlecraft in the temporal disturbance infected Ayryam with a virus, and she sent an encrypted payload off to Section 31, where it would have gotten to Control, IIRC.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
That probe that attached itself to the shuttlecraft in the temporal disturbance infected Ayryam with a virus, and she sent an encrypted payload off to Section 31, where it would have gotten to Control, IIRC.
Okay, that's what I thought, was just making sure. Presumably that's also where it got the nano technology it needed to infect normal meat bag humans.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Okay, that's what I thought, was just making sure. Presumably that's also where it got the nano technology it needed to infect normal meat bag humans.
Gotta love Star Trek's self-fulfilling temporal paradoxes. Control goes haywire because Control from the future where it goes haywire sends a probe back in time to make it go haywire. Burnham is led to places by red signals in space because her future self sends them back in time to lead her where she needs to go, after being led to those places by them.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love Star Trek's self-fulfilling temporal paradoxes. Control goes haywire because Control from the future where it goes haywire sends a probe back in time to make it go haywire. Burnham is led to places by red signals in space because her future self sends them back in time to lead her where she needs to go, after being led to those places by them.
I love how bullshit time travel stories are in fiction because you can do whatever you want and its fine because time travel is weird.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may have to rewatch, but future Control had no contact to past Control until she physically at S31 HQ. Past Control was already bad by that point, hence faking Spock murders etc.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X post from the Trek general thread

Captain Lorca Prime is coming back...

to Star Trek Online as part of a Buran-centric story with Landry