• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
They haven't said anything except it's supposed to be out in Canada on whatever service they see them on. You'd think three years later they would have figured this out. And it's going to get worse with Picard on Amazon internationally.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't said anything except it's supposed to be out in Canada on whatever service they see them on. You'd think three years later they would have figured this out. And it's going to get worse with Picard on Amazon internationally.

Oh I had no idea, I thought it will be on Netflix too, I guess I have to borrow a Prime account from a friend once a week :/

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, has the Short Trek not gone up for anyone else? Because it's available in Canada via Crave.

It's... weird. Not in an outlandish or ridiculous way, just... weird.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Was that Short Trek supposed to have a strong undercurrent of thirstiness to it? I can't tell if I am imposing it on the material or if Chabon was writing Number One and Spock as being on the verge of love in an elevator.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, I guess I'll have to wait for months to see the new Short Treks. Netflix international doesn't give a damn about promoting them.

And now I'll have to deal with both Netflix and Amazon Primer to get Star Trek content. I swear if CBS makes me have to get a THIRD streaming service just for Lower Decks, I'll.

I'll... I'll get even more angry at them online!

Or resort to... other means to watch it.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I guess I'll have to wait for months to see the new Short Treks. Netflix international doesn't give a damn about promoting them.

And now I'll have to deal with both Netflix and Amazon Primer to get Star Trek content. I swear if CBS makes me have to get a THIRD streaming service just for Lower Decks, I'll.

I'll... I'll get even more angry at them online!

Or resort to... other means to watch it.
And still nothing on Netflix Germany :/

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Was that Short Trek supposed to have a strong undercurrent of thirstiness to it? I can't tell if I am imposing it on the material or if Chabon was writing Number One and Spock as being on the verge of love in an elevator.

Given the comments I've seen elsewhere, you're absolutely not alone (and I got the same bizarre vibe). That plus the

very sudden and bizarre modern major general stuff

made me think for the first time that maybe I don't actually want that Pike Enterprise spinoff as much as I thought I did. Pretty much everything in the episode landed badly for me. That said, I seem to be mostly alone in that opinion so who knows.

ColonelT

Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't be wearing the gold and blue uniforms yet, correct? Pike called them "the new uniforms" in the season 2 premiere, and this Short Trek would have taken place years earlier.

Star Trek is ruined!!!

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't be wearing the gold and blue uniforms yet, correct? Pike called them "the new uniforms" in the season 2 premiere, and this Short Trek would have taken place years earlier.

Star Trek is ruined!!!
The Enterprise got the "new uniforms" implying like back in the TOS era each ship had its own uniform symbol, the uniforms were a constitution class benefit

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Given the comments I've seen elsewhere, you're absolutely not alone (and I got the same bizarre vibe). That plus the

very sudden and bizarre modern major general stuff

made me think for the first time that maybe I don't actually want that Pike Enterprise spinoff as much as I thought I did. Pretty much everything in the episode landed badly for me. That said, I seem to be mostly alone in that opinion so who knows.

It was the song Crusher got Geordi to sing in the episode Disaster

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It was the song Crusher got Geordi to sing in the episode Disaster

I mean, yeah, but

one, Crusher was staging a play and trying to recruit Geordi, so there's context for Geordi singing the lines. Two, Crusher and Geordi have known each other for years and are essentially colleagues of equal rank; it makes sense for them to let their guard down. Number One and Spock have literally just met and differ substantially in rank.

It's bizarre enough that there has to be something I'm missing.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean, yeah, but

one, Crusher was staging a play and trying to recruit Geordi, so there's context for Geordi singing the lines. Two, Crusher and Geordi have known each other for years and are essentially colleagues of equal rank; it makes sense for them to let their guard down. Number One and Spock have literally just met and differ substantially in rank.

It's bizarre enough that there has to be something I'm missing.

I think the conceit is that their time in the elevator condensed their relationship

Plus Number One figured out Spocks more private secret and she sang that as repayment

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018

Star Trek is ruined!!!
Lol I thought almost this exact thing.

But for real, I do have a hard time ignoring the weird external turbo shaft rollercoaster shots. Are the ships supposed to be hollow shells filled with tracks to get from the transporter on one end to the bridge on the other? Blatantly disregarding scale like that drives me up the wall, it's like visual nails on a chalkboard

Stoked to have more Star Trek otherwise, I think they've largely been doing great work. I think we get one more short trek next week.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
More shows need to do "short treks" they are great filler to keep fans engaged in the off season if nothing else.

ColonelT

Oct 27, 2017
Did I hear some of Giacchino's JJ Trek score in there? The "Dun-Dun-dundundundun" as the camera moved on Spock from the top of the turbolift?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think the conceit is that their time in the elevator condensed their relationship

Plus Number One figured out Spocks more private secret and she sang that as repayment

Okay, so

did I not figure out Spock's "more private secret"? Because I thought they were having a conversation about Spock trying to conform to everyone's notions of what a Vulcan Starfleet officer should be. That doesn't seem like a secret so much as plainly obvious to anyone who thinks about Spock's predicament for more than a nanosecond.

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think Netflix just prefer to release them all at once like last time so you'll probably have to wait until January

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fuck edward piece of shit he should never have been in starfleet

thankfully he died

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how long CBS is going to pretend the Pike show isn't definitely coming.
I don't think they are pretending it isn't coming, they just haven't confirmed it is. Doing a short trek may well have been in response to the reception of Pike et Al, but the concept for a while show isn't just something you can plan and stuff in 6 months. Not to mention the cast may have other ideas. I think they've also teased bit here and there asking if it was something people would want, akin to also g if they would like oxygen

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they are pretending it isn't coming, they just haven't confirmed it is. Doing a short trek may well have been in response to the reception of Pike et Al, but the concept for a while show isn't just something you can plan and stuff in 6 months. Not to mention the cast may have other ideas. I think they've also teased bit here and there asking if it was something people would want, akin to also g if they would like oxygen
That's what I mean by pretending it isn't definitely coming. It's a bit naive to think they weren't already in the early stages of development on a Pike show until they saw the reception for them when they popped up on Discovery. I'd imagine the cast was informed of these plans before even taking the roles to begin with.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of looking at the replies to the trailer of the new Short Trek posted above and it's just people complaining about canon. Probably should have expected that.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I made the mistake of looking at the replies to the trailer of the new Short Trek posted above and it's just people complaining about canon. Probably should have expected that.
It's trek.

Canon is all.

I enjoyed it. Last line seemed odd though. A little too casual given the outcome.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
That's what I mean by pretending it isn't definitely coming. It's a bit naive to think they weren't already in the early stages of development on a Pike show until they saw the reception for them when they popped up on Discovery. I'd imagine the cast was informed of these plans before even taking the roles to begin with.
Hmm I suppose, I don't think any of us expected a Pike show when we knew Mount was in S2. But certainly early on in S2 there was an obvious thirst.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The dialog in that Short Trek is the worst, omg. It's written like it's a comedy set in the present day.

There's a way to do comedy in Star Trek and this ain't it.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
The Tardigrades creator has filed an appeal and is being backed by one of the Youtube morons with a GoFundme who has obviously talked him into it. I wonder when he'll realize his being used the Discovery haters?

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
These trolls have no limits. They are putting in massive amounts of work like a full-time job just to attack Discovery... butt why???? Youtube clicks?

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I also agree that the humor in Discovery has not been working for me at all. Wish they would tone it back like a lot as it's been really cringe worthy.