• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Still digesting the episode but I'll say u really like the new science lab set from the past two episodes except for how the windows just have bright white light coming through.
Yeah, I noticed that this time. Otherwise it's quite nice.

I especially love the meeting room at the table and that scene we got in there.

They almost got me with the Saru death, with how long that scene with him and Michel went on.
Yup, damn I was feeling it. They had me going.

Oct 25, 2017
oh almost forgot, wish number one had a longer role, hope she comes back. Also that quick explanation for the Enterprise not having Holocoms lol

Edit: Also this episode felt really long, which I'm not complaining about but that's why I almost forgot she came out lol

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
One negative.

They built up Number One so much, and it ended up being such a tease.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I like Linus.

Number One is a pretty cool lady. It makes sense why Pike would call his first officer Number One to her face but referring to her as Number One to members of the discovery crew seems...weird. She's not this ship's #1. So I'm sitting there thinking...why didn't he call her...um...call her...what's her name? Why can't I remember her name? Majel? No, that's our lovely actress and computer. What's wrong with me...

So I look it up. Oh yeeaaaah. She never had a name to begin with haha. I guess that's why they're avoiding her name. But they might as well give her one now instead of awkwardly hopping around it. Apparently a DSC novel gave her last name as Una (har har) but those have been made noncanon in record time so who knows. Just call her Lieutenant Majel Una, its fine.

The Tower of Babel bridge was hilarious and so much fun.

Saru's condition is sort of interesting and funny to think about. So it's normally a major reaction to the greatest threat on his planet. It's his threat ganglia shitting themselves, because they know his goose is cooked. And even if they somehow avoid getting killed, he says the ganglia running overdrive drives them nuts anyway.
So it's not so much that he's dying directly from a condition in a traditional sense. It's like your body's fever response getting so hot that you get brain damage (which can happen), except in this case instead of being triggered by a real infection it's being accidentally triggered by space stuff. And since this is his threat detection gland, instead of being like "oh okay let's try to find a way to dull my gland secretions or stop the space stuff" he's all hopped up on adrenaline/gland juice going "I'M FUCKING DEAD IT'S TOO LATE JUST GIVE UP" even though it's not necessarily true. His brain is full of panic chemicals.
Then it becomes a bit weird that nobody on DSC seems to consider this and Burnham is about to euthanize the guy at his request. Of course it did turn out to be untrue and Saru was fine because of the power of courage. But the medical staff were totally cool with just taking his word for it the whole time even though it turned out to be a buncho bullshit. Come on, guys.

Also Saru's quarters are pretty sweet.

It's a bit disappointing that the whole episode revolves around this creature trying to tell Discovery its story and we the viewer never even get a hint of what any of that story is. It's just the gimmick of the week.

And now they've introduced the way they'll exit the Spore Drive from the mythos. I guess this time it won't be as easy as "we fixed it" like when they pulled the same plot with the warp drive. Not very creative.

Also haha at that haphazard bandaid fix for no holograms on the Enterprise. Pike got mad about holograms so he told them to tear the system out of the ship during repair. That doesn't really cover it but alright I'll just roll with it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome episode

Did they get rid of the
ganglia
due to budget issues?
I wouldn't think so because the vast majority of ganglia scenes could easily be accomplished solely with the physical prosthetic that they could reuse. Just have Saru off-screen when they come out, play the slimy noise, and when it cuts back to him show him reacting with his hands to them like he usually does. No CGI needed. They've probably already pulled this trick a couple times and I just haven't noticed.

Probably just a very strange form of alien character development where his scaredy cat glands literally fell off. Probably prepping him for the captain's chair. We got tough guy Saru now.

Muzzymate

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Did they digitally dilate Reno and Stamets' eyes during the last spore scene? Small, stupid detail, but I love it!

Also, I can not imagine how long Doug Jones must sit each day in the makeup chair. His alien prosthetics and contacts are insane.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, i was getting ready to write an ANGRY rant but luckily crisis was avoided

I wonder if Saru will bro out and get yoked BEZOS style now that he knows no fear

Also poor Tilly. Shes not having a fun trip this season at all lol

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me this show is noisy. There's no aural down-time at all - just explosions strung together with overly-dramatic music lol.

That's my only complaint so far, though. Really liking this season more than the first - actually feels like a Trek show.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
So much to like about this episode:

- Sphere CGI
- Number One debut
- Universal Translator on the fritz
- All the Saru scenes
- All the Reno/Stamets/Tilly scenes

Last edited:

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me this show is noisy. There's no aural down-time at all - just explosions strung together with overly-dramatic music lol.

That's my only complaint so far, though. Really liking this season more than the first - actually feels like a Trek show.

90% of Point of Light was downtime, considering how light the action was in that episode, I have no problem with them going all out for the next.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Damn the trolls move fast. All of the channels already have a whole slew of Anti-Discovery stuff. Looks like all of them are pushing some new big thing now to. All of them claiming that Discovery and the Picard series is "not canon". Whats weird is that all of them are saying the same thing despite not being the same people and none of the information is true at all. Borderline creepy like these people get together and plan their attack phases... each week is a new themed attack and they all seem to say the same thing. Last weeks big thing was "All Trek is canceled" and all the major anti Trek trolls were posting the same stuff and now all of them are posting "confirming Star Trek: Discovery and Picard series in not canon". Weirdos...

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Tilly: Like spores in the wind. We are Tilly.

this perfect episode I'm have cold I can relate to the sickness episode.

I was worried that they will kill Saru

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like Saru I was a little bothered at first that they didnt have the courage to kill him off. But seeing it expose the great lie of his species was a better pay off. He's gonna be flouting some prime directive sooner or later.

Also, yay more Tig, except shes not exactly a great actress. The high stress moments don't suit her deadpan very well.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I like Saru I was a little bothered at first that they didnt have the courage to kill him off. But seeing it expose the great lie of his species was a better pay off. He's gonna be flouting some prime directive sooner or later.

Also, yay more Tig, except shes not exactly a great actress. The high stress moments don't suit her deadpan very well.
I donät know. I think I enjoyed the contrast her deadpan acting brought, especially when playing off sombody as miserable as Stamets and as energetic as Tilly.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was an ok episode with maybe just too many stories happening at once.
Seems like its the natural result of the writers trying to give everyone something to do (which is commendable). Maybe earlier Treks had it right with sidelining a few cast members every episode. As long as not always the same character lol

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the episode.

I'll have to watch it again later and look up memory alpha, but was that bit about an intergalactic war a reference to tng when the enterprise got caught in a trap from a war that destroyed 2 civilizations centuries before human civilization

I think her deadpan act works well in high stress moments if she acts first think of the consequences later. Like what she did with the makeshift lightning rod.

The act will fall apart or be awkward if she decides to hesitate or questions herself in those moments.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought the episode had too much going on and didn't slow down enough to focus on any one problem. Didn't seem much problem solving either, just suddenly having answers after coming back from another side plot.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the trolls move fast. All of the channels already have a whole slew of Anti-Discovery stuff. Looks like all of them are pushing some new big thing now to. All of them claiming that Discovery and the Picard series is "not canon". Whats weird is that all of them are saying the same thing despite not being the same people and none of the information is true at all. Borderline creepy like these people get together and plan their attack phases... each week is a new themed attack and they all seem to say the same thing. Last weeks big thing was "All Trek is canceled" and all the major anti Trek trolls were posting the same stuff and now all of them are posting "confirming Star Trek: Discovery and Picard series in not canon". Weirdos...

I think this in part has to do with Youtubers trying to game the algorithm so they can get clicks for their channel. It's similar to how LTT has to market himself.

Like, they're obviously trolling and preaching to the choir, and nothing they say is actually of any real insight or significance.

Jan 29, 2018
Translator scene was so good. Even with the longer 51 minute runtime though I think the episode would've been better served just having two of its three plots. It felt pretty hurried.

So do we think Saru is going to have an arc where he's a dick for a while now that he's fearless?

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was also thinking the Kelpian deal might be what causes the General Order One to be amended into the Prime Directive.
After all it doesn't make much sense to be that uptight about non-interference when the species is already being messed with by another advanced alien civilization all the time for centuries

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized something: was Michael actually speaking Klingon this entire time, or did the Universal Translator spit out Klingon?

Muzzymate

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I just realized something: was Michael actually speaking Klingon this entire time, or did the Universal Translator spit out Klingon?

While it would have been a lot trickier to produce, I would have loved if they would have had the characters mouthing their native tongue, but hearing the language the translator was outputting. Kinda like what they did when Michael was talking with Kol. Would have helped sell the confusion even more. After all these years of Star Trek, is this the first time the universal translator has malfunctioned? Why haven't the writers ever thought of that before? It was truly a great scene, even if it crowded some of the other parts of the episode.

Oct 25, 2017
While it would have been a lot trickier to produce, I would have loved if they would have had the characters mouthing their native tongue, but hearing the language the translator was outputting. Kinda like what they did when Michael was talking with Kol. Would have helped sell the confusion even more. After all these years of Star Trek, is this the first time the universal translator has malfunctioned? Why haven't the writers ever thought of that before? It was truly a great scene, even if it crowded some of the other parts of the episode.
I know they've had issues before, like in Enterprise it wasn't set up properly yet so they had Hoshi trying to translate early on.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I could see how that would have been pretty tricky and might have required more ADR. We're suppose to believe that's what is happening and they move things quickly enough that unless you're really paying attention or rewinding you won't realize how they're actually doing it.

As for the trolls it seems like a repeat. They tried this before I believe. They got push back then and are getting it now. The general idea they're pushing licensing is just stupid on its face. You have to be willfully ignorant to even being to believe it.They need to feed their audience as more and more people are watching Discovery and enjoying it. Their attempt to have a higher dislike ratio on the episode 1 that was uploaded to youtube failed as the positive rating surpassed it. It's now at 1.95 million views and over 8000 likes and just under 5000 dislikes. They might be coordinating but mostly I think they see one person put out something new and they bandwagon as quickly as they can so they get the same clicks and views from the same group of people.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So, as I near the end of this episode, I realise something.

This is effectively a handwave for almost all the ancient lore and history characters throughout the franchise might know despite the nominal lack of evidence until the cast deal with it directly. How do they know? The sphere told them!

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
So holographic communication is now effectively the 3D cinema of star trek now right? Nobody likes it, every few decades someone tries to make it a 'thing', it's around for a while then gets ditched when people realise its shit

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this show has legit feels, especially since main characters do die, you often don't know what's going to happen.

The struggles to fix the ship wasn't really compelling but I hope the sphere's knowledge will have a permanent pay off, like if they're in unexplored space, they'll have some fascinating data already.

Oct 25, 2017
So holographic communication is now effectively the 3D cinema of star trek now right? Nobody likes it, every few decades someone tries to make it a 'thing', it's around for a while then gets ditched when people realise its shit
Would make sense why they wouldn't use it until they could run the AI off of it like the Doctor I guess...and then of course someone decided to shove it all into a room to make a holodeck.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy how much this show has turned around since the first season. Damn this season has been delivering.