• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
If they are part of the federation, the Ba'ul would be who the Federation deal with (and Philipa acknowledges them when she rescues Saru) they would have told the federation that the Kelpians had an 'expiration' date and were showing mercy to the Kelpians. Remember Saru thought he was dying for sure and it was either through the Ba'ul where it was supposed to be painful or if they stayed on the planet would die in agony. So it's very much in line with Half a Life.

I guess one of those altruistic captains we see all the time on the shows that question the status quo and even deny federation citizens life-saving drugs to save some hippies from being moved to another planet, just didn't happen to be around then.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I still don't get this insistence that there is some long history established previously between Picard and the Romulans that's begging to be explored. I don't see it, Klingons, Cardassians, Borg, yeah, but aside from a few key Romulans he interacted with and obviously Nemesis I'm not seeing it. I guess, the angle they could take is after the events of Nemesis this relationship got built up given the team-up at the end of the film to fight Shinzon, which made Romulus's destruction important to him. It's all conjecture and back story exposition at that point and not really jumping off from anything established in TNG to any deep degree.

However, if they're using this opportunity to flesh out the Romulans a bit better that would be welcome. Aside from maybe one defector they're still probably the most "stereotypically" portrayed races in the franchise I guess.

Bring back Tasha's daughter. I'm also going to be annoyed if we get very few guest appearances from other TNG alumni that may be interested.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I still don't get this insistence that there is some long history established previously between Picard and the Romulans that's begging to be explored. I don't see it, Klingons, Cardassians, Borg, yeah, but aside from a few key Romulans he interacted with and obviously Nemesis I'm not seeing it. I guess, the angle they could take is after the events of Nemesis this relationship got built up given the team-up at the end of the film to fight Shinzon, which made Romulus's destruction important to him. It's all conjecture and back story exposition at that point and not really jumping off from anything established in TNG to any deep degree.

However, if they're using this opportunity to flesh out the Romulans a bit better that would be welcome. Aside from maybe one defector they're still probably the most "stereotypically" portrayed races in the franchise I guess.

Bring back Tasha's daughter. I'm also going to be annoyed if we get very few guest appearances from other TNG alumni that may be interested.

I'm not sure if we're watching the same thing, but a big part of the TNG series was focused on the Romulans.

Like, we even have The Chase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if we're watching the same thing, but a big part of the TNG series was focused on the Romulans.

Like, we even have The Chase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Maybe I need to rewatch TNG, but the Romulans were present in a number of episodes yes, but they never got the same broad look across their culture the same way Klingons or Cardassians did between TNG and DS9 in terms of societal makeup outside of the military of the culture. Furthermore, Picard didn't have anywhere near the personal interaction (traumatic or otherwise) with them the same way he did with the Klingons or the Cardassians.

[EDIT] I am completely forgetting about Unification though, so they do get there a bit I suppose.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't looked at the spoiler but it's big then I wouldn't be surprised if something even bigger happens. That or it's something they really want people to know about and the reveal isn't important but the how and why is instead.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Maybe I need to rewatch TNG, but the Romulans were present in a number of episodes yes, but they never got the same broad look across their culture the same way Klingons or Cardassians did between TNG and DS9 in terms of societal makeup outside of the military of the culture. Furthermore, Picard didn't have anywhere near the personal interaction (traumatic or otherwise) with them the same way he did with the Klingons or the Cardassians.

[EDIT] I am completely forgetting about Unification though, so they do get there a bit I suppose.

The dissolution of the Romulan Star Empire would have a profound effect on the quadrant and maybe the show explores the fallout from that. The Treaty of Algeron may no longer apply, since one of the signatories no longer exists, so there may no longer be a Neutral Zone and the Federation is free to develop and implement cloaking technology.

The Klingons would almost assuredly leap at the chance to conquer as much Romulan territory as possible, which would lead to tensions with the Federation.

Finally, we're not sure how far along Spock's efforts at building a groundswell for Unification with Vulcan proceeded, but there could be a significant portion of Romulan survivors, fearing extermination or subjugation by the Klingons (or just irrelevance) may be working to openly reunite with their Vulcan brethren or seeking protection on humanitarian (romulanitarian?) grounds. This could lead to internal rifts within Vulcan itself (and the Federation by extension) with possible Klingon aggression adding more fire to the mix.

You drop Picard into this setting, and you've got myriad possibilities for story and characterization.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The dissolution of the Romulan Star Empire would have a profound effect on the quadrant and maybe the show explores the fallout from that. The Treaty of Algeron may no longer apply, since one of the signatories no longer exists, so there may no longer be a Neutral Zone and the Federation is free to develop and implement cloaking technology.

The Klingons would almost assuredly leap at the chance to conquer as much Romulan territory as possible, which would lead to tensions with the Federation.

Finally, we're not sure how far along Spock's efforts at building a groundswell for Unification with Vulcan proceeded, but there could be a significant portion of Romulan survivors, fearing extermination or subjugation by the Klingons (or just irrelevance) may be working to openly reunite with their Vulcan brethren or seeking protection on humanitarian (romulanitarian?) grounds. This could lead to internal rifts within Vulcan itself (and the Federation by extension) with possible Klingon aggression adding more fire to the mix.

You drop Picard into this setting, and you've got myriad possibilities for story and characterization.

I'm not arguing the destruction of Romulus wouldn't have enormous political and societal repercussions for the quadrant and hence be a great source of material for the show. I'm just saying that when the producers talk about "Picard's long personal history with the Romulans" when talking about this show, I'm not really sure what they're actually referring to, lol.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Has the Romulan Empire dissolved? I'd think it would take more than the loss of their homeworld for that. They still have all their ships and colonies AFAIK. Unless their only shipyards were in the home system, they shouldn't have trouble holding on to territory.

Also, I forget if Dina Meyer actually died in Nemesis, but if not could we get her back?

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
The second Star Trek animated series is in production, with a deal at Nickeledeon.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/star-t...n-hageman-brothers-cbs-tv-studios-1202556681/

Alex Kurtzman and CBS TV Studios have set the latest extension of the Star Trek TV franchise. Nickelodeon is in negotiations for a Star Trek animated series from Emmy-winning writers Kevin and Dan Hageman (Trollhunters, Ninjago), CBS TV Studios and Kurtzman's studio-based Secret Hideout banner.

The project, whose concept is not being revealed, is envisioned as a major tentpole series for Nickelodeon under its new president Brian Robbins. It also marks a collaboration between Viacom and CBS Corp companies that likely will become corporate siblings as their parents are headed to a merger.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Has the Romulan Empire dissolved? I'd think it would take more than the loss of their homeworld for that. They still have all their ships and colonies AFAIK. Unless their only shipyards were in the home system, they shouldn't have trouble holding on to territory.

Also, I forget if Dina Meyer actually died in Nemesis, but if not could we get her back?

It is according to Alex Kurtzman: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...rts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452
"Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire," Kurtzman tells THR.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The Remans will probably try for independence. They'll probably be used loosely as the analogous stand in for the Kurds.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Picard series, Lower Decks animated series, Michelle Yeoh/Section 31 series, more Short Treks, Nickelodeon animiated kid's series. So much Trek to look forward to. 😄

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
So glad tonight is Trek night. I want this day to be over already and I need something like this tonight!

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be watching as always, I've noticed I've watched every episode so far this season at least twice, something I didn't do in Season 1 until after the Blu-ray came out

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be watching tonight. I really should just go to sleep and check this out tomorrow but going to stay up.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic episode

Pike is probably wondering wtf hes gotten himself in to lol

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
That was great! I think I have a new favorite episode. For a while now it was Brother but I think this has overtaken that. I was waiting for this event to finally happen and I really like how it did. Talk about edge of your seat and I love the clarification with Section 31 in this era. I can see that pissing some people off but I loved it.

As far as Michael and
Georgiou goes, until the swerve happens I do think she really does care about Michael. Especailly when Michael gets pissed at her because she's clearly seeing her own daughter in Michael. I'm willing to bet she thinks on some level she could have her daughter back. This time this Michael wouldn't try to stab her in the back if she can actually gain her trust.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I can see that pissing some people off but I loved it.

Is there anything anyone can do in the Trek universe that won't piss someone off?

"The button on the 3rd console from the left is the wrong shade of blue!"

XDI4.gif