• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One this that is kind of funny is how complicated the whole plot to get Culber back is. When Colber was dying/dead, his DNA/conciousness was uploaded into the mycelium network when Stamets embraced him due to Stamets still being connected to the network at the time. A spore attached itself to Tilly after the Discovery was using the mycelium network in the mirror universe. The spore on Tilly grew into a duplicate of her high school friend, May, and created a cocoon to bring Tilly into the network because it was afraid of Culber which was seen as a threat to the network. Then, when Stamets and Michael go into the network to save Tilly by partially jumping, they find and save Culber and Tilly but only by May sacrificing the cocoon and connection to the Discovery.

Season one was very predictable in fan circles, but I feel like no one would have predicted these events lol. The most we knew was that it had to do with the network and the spore on Tilly.

The story really didn't have set up though. S1 at least had that, the problem is it was done badly and predictably. Here it was just "Oh btw this happened to Tilly during part of last season, and this happened to the doc" and ran from there.

Oct 25, 2017
I did like that I wasn't 100% sure everyone was going to make it out unscathed (everyone did...but still). I still want them to address Detmer and Micheals past and what happened to her face.

Jan 29, 2018
Think I actually flinched when S31 captain guy said TIME TRAVEL.

If it turns out to be Kelvin shit (RED Angel and RED Matter right) or Picard from the future in a neat tie in to our new show please keep paying for our service, I'm not going to be happy.

Apart from that, good shit all round.

Yeah, I like Trek 09, but if they try to tie it in here somehow it'll probably just be convoluted nonsense. If there's time travel I hope it's new aliens and not Spock or Spock's grandson or something dumb.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would these angels be using tachyons when they've got use of the mycelial network which can allow time travel.

Oct 25, 2017
Well Cornwell did say time travel was just one indication of what it could be, Pike named a couple other things or she said it could be unknown.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Not seen the new ep yet, currently at work so on a rewatch of S1 and 2 to this point so will probably get there tonight or tomorrow.

I just got to the mirror universe and got to see Captain Killy on the voice only message to the other ship. She's so good.

Enjoyed the Mudd time loop episode once again. Enjoying all of it honestly. Did first time round too.

Incidentally.

When L'Rell ambushed Lorca the computer said it detected a D7 class ship, but it didn't look like one from the limited shot we got, maybe now she's queen bee she's using her own houses designs for the empire rather than a brand new one?

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Detmer just have to get the implants after the Battle of the Binary Stars?
Yes, I just meant for Micheal to maybe apologize to her or something since Detmer obviously had an issue with her after she joined up on Discovery, now they seem cool with each other, at least from a distance but we never got a scene between them. It's just something I'd want to see. Not really needed I guess.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes, I just meant for Micheal to maybe apologize to her or something since Detmer obviously had an issue with her after she joined up on Discovery, now they seem cool with each other, at least from a distance but we never got a scene between them. It's just something I'd want to see. Not really needed I guess.

Oh got it. You're right though, it is lacking things like that, smaller character moments. Like we haven't heard from Reno's crew since they transported them back, and Tilly quitting the command program hasn't been mentioned since it happened. But with the fast pace, I'm ok with that, and this is more nit picking smaller details.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh got it. You're right though, it is lacking things like that, smaller character moments. Like we haven't heard from Reno's crew since they transported them back, and Tilly quitting the command program hasn't been mentioned since it happened. But with the fast pace, I'm ok with that, and this is more nit picking smaller details.
Yeah there are a lot of missed opportunities for small character interactions, like instead of the spock subplot last night they could have done away with most of it and just had more scenes between Tilly/Micheal (who was obviously distraught at losing Tilly) and Culber/Stamets.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The way this shit is going finally get to Spock at mid-season finale, then have to wait for 4-5 months..

Yeah I can't blame people for being upset with the constant teasing. Probably my one complaint this season. If you want to hold off till late in the season, then fine but don't keep hyping and then doing another fake out.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a cloaking device — more like a camouflage device since the ship doesn't disappear, it disguises itself as something else, kind of like that Romulan ship on Enterprise.
This. Camouflage seems like a more accurate description of what they had. Which might be just as good as a cloak if you could completely hide the ship's signature. They were right next to Discovery unseen until they revealed themselves.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
While I liked this episode, I hope this is the end of the Mycelial Network stuff. Let's move to what's important.

Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched the episode and Disco has some really great actors on this show,

Here is an interview from today with the CBS Chief who really makes Star Trek Discovery and CBS All-Access sound like a raging success:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/15/cb...as-all-access-hits-4-million-subscriber-goal/

What do you guys think? Is this a good indication that Discovery is in fact doing well or do you have another take on the content of this article?

Interesting Tidbits in there, so I guess the Picard show is going to be pushed for later this year, also interesting that they're willing to put older Disco seasons on network TV, even if it's during summer. And them already hitting 4 million subs ahead of schedule has to be great news.

TEMPORAL
COLD
WAR
BABY

LHPc.gif

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
So is Culber a clone ?
Hmm. That might be the question going forward. It's clear his body isn't his original body. It's everything else, his essence, soul that was likely transferred. That's going to be hard to judge. Is that enough to be sure it really is him. Is that going to matter or be something that is purposefully ignored because it's to hard to address by the characters. Going by what Wilson Cruz said in of the twitter behind the scenes that was put out I think that might be part of his arc going forward. It's kinda similar to what Ash is going through as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I got that same vibe from the facebook show, seems like this will be a part of his journey back, having to deal with what and who he really is.

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
Here is an interview from today with the CBS Chief who really makes Star Trek Discovery and CBS All-Access sound like a raging success:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/15/cb...as-all-access-hits-4-million-subscriber-goal/

What do you guys think? Is this a good indication that Discovery is in fact doing well or do you have another take on the content of this article?

Nice to hear them talk up the Netflix deal. And get confirmation that any DISCO spin off is a first look over there.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda bummed they brought back the most boring character. Wasn't really necessary.
I wish they'd use screentime on Detmer, Owosekun or Airiam instead.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this show would be much better without Burnham's unnecessary philosophical narration at the start and end.

Also, I know Star Trek has always had plenty of characters coming up with wild theories on how to solve problems that just happen to actually work (usually by modifying the deflector...the Swiss Army knife of the Star Trek universe). But holy shit does Discovery take this to another level - especially when it comes to the spores.

Also, where they come up with explanations for stuff "maybe this plus this and this led to this" to make it sound like it wasn't all just a bunch of stuff that happened to create fun scenarios - that feels wholly unnecessary in the context of space mushrooms.

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I realised after the latest episode that whatever Burnham was saying at the end didn't even register with me. I have no idea what she was going on about and apparently didn't care.
Same. It just seems like nonsense or goes on too long. I suspect they are their substitutions for captain logs, but they worked because they delivered information that pulled the narritive forward not a bunch of philosophical nonsense.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same. It just seems like nonsense or goes on too long. I suspect they are their substitutions for captain logs, but they worked because they delivered information that pulled the narritive forward not a bunch of philosophical nonsense.

You know, it actually sounds a bit too similar to the same bullshit in The Walking Dead.

No reason why they couldn't do her personal logs - if it was her recording her thoughts on events it would probably sound a lot better than what seems to be a vocalisation of her philosophical pondering.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was a really great episode. Loved it. Glad to see that the show's really starting to click now. I really didn't care at all for the Klingon stuff in S1 (have never enjoyed a Klingon storyline in any Trek series really) and don't really enjoy Ash/Voq's character so moving on to different storylines and spreading the focus away from them is a big plus for me. Plus these episodes have been really exciting, taking interesting twists and really making you second guess what's going to happen.

I loved that little gag with the communicator too, was a neat little touch.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

I would say possible parts of this (he says, not having seen the episode, and possibly having already forgotten counter examples) are that A) Someone on the writing team might be pedantic about the fact that it wouldn't yet be the Captain's log, and thus largely wants to avoid framing it in such similar terms
B) Given the more serialised nature of the story, with the 'current' mission/development tending to be established in the previous episode's sequel hook, there's (felt to be) less of a need for establishing information, but it's felt there should be something there, because Star Trek
C) Given the streaming nature of the episode releases, there's (felt to be) less of a need to have situational updates for viewers flipping channels and coming into things mid-way through an episode - if they're watching Discovery they're pretty much guaranteed to be doing so from the start of an episode

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I realised after the latest episode that whatever Burnham was saying at the end didn't even register with me. I have no idea what she was going on about and apparently didn't care.
It's no different from the captain's logs, etc. Instead of setting up the mission of the episode in a more report fashion it's making clear the current state of things, especially where she's concern mentally because she's the lead character and we're jumping into some crazy after what happen the last episode. All the leads of Trek shows tend to have that beginning voice over with some having an ending at times.

Would it be better if it had the official captain's log structure? They did do the stardate before.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to put together a theory that the Red Angels are actually evolved Kelpians, and that they are helping guide everything towards making changes in the timeline for the better. There must be a link between what happened to Saru last week and their intentions.

That and there's no indication that Kelpians exist anywhere else.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When L'Rell ambushed Lorca the computer said it detected a D7 class ship, but it didn't look like one from the limited shot we got, maybe now she's queen bee she's using her own houses designs for the empire rather than a brand new one?

It's just another of the mistakes the show made they now doing a terrible job of fixing in S2 instead of just running with it. The show now has two completely different D7 designs and when she announced the D7 in season 2 it was like there wasn't one already. Wondering if it gonna retcon itself and just never show the season 1 design ever again. Also wondering if they'll do the same to the Bird of Prey.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just another of the mistakes the show made they now doing a terrible job of fixing in S2 instead of just running with it. The show now has two completely different D7 designs and when she announced the D7 in season 2 it was like there wasn't one already. Wondering if it gonna retcon itself and just never show the season 1 design ever again. Also wondering if they'll do the same to the Bird of Prey.
It makes sense in a way. They presented Klingons as being from different houses, with different technologies and even ships. It's entirely possible the D7 was one which L'rell believed had recognizability and gave it a redesign under the unified empire.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The more section 31/georgiou stuff they do, the more I dont like it.

Also it seems like EVERYONE knows what Section 31 is in this trek which seems to miss the entire point of S31