• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Season is really good so far. But did anyone else feel we kind of got the reason why micheal is never mentioned before. The red angel is the reason she didn't die, a time traveling being changed history basically, so this might be a new timeline.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I would like a series like that too, although by today TV standards it will be serialized and not episodic (but for sure with some planet of the week episodes tossed in between).

But I fear the boat already sailed as it should be on profuction by this time if they want to keep the actors.

And what would you call the series? Star Trek the Pike Years? 😅

It'll probably never happen as they already have 4 shows in the works with Disco, S31, Picard and Lower Decks.

But it could also just be that they are waiting on this season ending before deciding anything. When was the S31 show announced with Georgiou?

As for a name, who knows. Star Trek: Pikes a boss for all I care.

Just seems too easy, its 1701, its Pike, its Spock. It surely just makes money provided it's not utter shit.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
It'll probably never happen as they already have 4 shows in the works with Disco, S31, Picard and Lower Decks.

But it could also just be that they are waiting on this season ending before deciding anything. When was the S31 show announced with Georgiou?

As for a name, who knows. Star Trek: Pikes a boss for all I care.

Just seems too easy, its 1701, its Pike, its Spock. It surely just makes money provided it's not utter shit.

Throw Space Hitler away. She is an excellent actress but I don't fell the character can carry a show, specially a Star Trek show.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season is really good so far. But did anyone else feel we kind of got the reason why micheal is never mentioned before. The red angel is the reason she didn't die, a time traveling being changed history basically, so this might be a new timeline.
There are lots of changes on Trek that contribute to new timelines. It's not divergent like when Nero destroys the Kelvin, it's less severe. The events of the other series's still happen chronologically much like when Picard says "Mister Data, lay in a course for the twenty-fourth century. I suspect our future is there waiting for us."

The place they return to will have minor differences (Riker/Geordi being on the Phoenix mission) and people who died during the Borg attack that shouldn't have. It's still the same history. More or less.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During all these flashbacks I am just imagining a 17 year old Sybok in his room being a real emo.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
During all these flashbacks I am just imagining a 17 year old Sybok in his room being a real emo.

Sybok's probably off at the Vulcan school of logic and telepathy, so we never get to see him.

It was interesting to see the Talosians employ Sybok's "show me your pain" method, even though he used it for manipulative "healing" purposes instead of a weird form of reality entertainment.

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of changes on Trek that contribute to new timelines. It's not divergent like when Nero destroys the Kelvin, it's less severe. The events of the other series's still happen chronologically much like when Picard says "Mister Data, lay in a course for the twenty-fourth century. I suspect our future is there waiting for us."

The place they return to will have minor differences (Riker/Geordi being on the Phoenix mission) and people who died during the Borg attack that shouldn't have. It's still the same history. More or less.

A good example of this is the bell riots ep of ds9 whare sisko had to step in and make sure he got things right, and iirc starfleet temporal affairs grilled him

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Anyone making bets as to whether will get a Pike-Enterprise spin off set during that prior five year mission? Pike, Spock, and Number One are all great (the security officer and the dead guy, not as much, but they could be fleshed out). And it would give fans the alien/planet-of-the-week format they claim to want.

I would absolutely love this.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
The timeline in Star Trek has always been pretty malleable and small differences never really had much of an effect on the continuity going forward. Honestly, the only thing that's notable about the Kelvin universe is that we continued to follow it after its first appearance. It otherwise wouldn't be any more notable than any of the other myriad alternate universes any random Star Trek episode has created. It would be more akin to the mirror universe than anything. That's a long-winded post to say that I wouldn't put any more stock into Discovery creating a groundbreaking new alternate universe that changes the direction of the entire series (or even just its own series) going forward than I would have of the previous example of Sisko taking the forefront in the Bell Riots.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The timeline in Star Trek has always been pretty malleable and small differences never really had much of an effect on the continuity going forward. Honestly, the only thing that's notable about the Kelvin universe is that we continued to follow it after its first appearance. It otherwise wouldn't be any more notable than any of the other myriad alternate universes any random Star Trek episode has created. It would be more akin to the mirror universe than anything. That's a long-winded post to say that I wouldn't put any more stock into Discovery creating a groundbreaking new alternate universe that changes the direction of the entire series (or even just its own series) going forward than I would have of the previous example of Sisko taking the forefront in the Bell Riots.
The difference with Kelvin is that Nero jumped technology ahead much quicker than otherwise seen in the Prime timeline. 24th century augmented Borg tech in the 22nd century made a difference. The Kelvin scanned that ship on first contact and the data went with the survivors to Starfleet.

The minor adjustments seen in DS9 and TNG changed out participants but didn't affect the timeline substantially.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
A good example of this is the bell riots ep of ds9 whare sisko had to step in and make sure he got things right, and iirc starfleet temporal affairs grilled him
Star Trek is weird because it's both one single timeline that you can change, but there are also infinite parallel universes based on different choices being made.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Sybok's probably off at the Vulcan school of logic and telepathy, so we never get to see him.

It was interesting to see the Talosians employ Sybok's "show me your pain" method, even though he used it for manipulative "healing" purposes instead of a weird form of reality entertainment.

...Son of a bitch. That could be the single sneakiest way of working him back in if they went for it.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It's 9.08pm on Saturday night in the UK. You're as drunk as I am, aren't you?
Sadly not , I'm at work, we've just finished showing the Man City game and then having a bunch of crazy foreigners calling in to talk shit about football. Here till 7AM.

Really hoping to get around to ST6 tonight.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

The reason they can't use Sybok is the movie rights issue, but who knows what will happen if a merger actually happens.

(I still don't get who owns the TMP theme, sing it is also the TNG theme...)

Effect

Oct 25, 2017

This. This would potentially be more of an alteration then an outright new timeline. Like when Barry screws with time on the Flash. Suddenly Pip Piper isn't a villain anymore but now a friend or Diggle's newborn daughter is now a boy. A LOT is still the same. Some differences. With space being so vast have a few people alive that weren't isn't going to drastically change things. Michael's name would be on things instead of John or Joan Doe we never heard about or knew existed.

This is the type of possible change other Trek shows have made in the past. The Nero situation was a much bigger and it still can be argued I think that was both a timeline issue and a alternate universe issue as well. Meaning he and Spock possibility didn't just go back in time but cross over into another universe that was extremely similar.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
A Pike show is not in the works and probably never will be... but the fan reaction to the actor and character have been hugely positive so I imagine someone of importance will at least try to lobby the suits to make it happen.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, this week's episode is the first time where I fully clicked with Burnham as a character. Her relationship with Spock just worked for me, and I get her more now. Pike and Vina's relationship is great.

Apart for one nitpicky thing (Vulcan's Forge having forests threw me off a bit), it was a great episode.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
The reason they can't use Sybok is the movie rights issue, but who knows what will happen if a merger actually happens.

(I still don't get who owns the TMP theme, sing it is also the TNG theme...)

The TV and film rights were both held by the same parent company at the time TNG was made, so that wouldn't have been a problem then.

I would assume that Paramount/Viacom own the rights to the main melody itself, with CBS perhaps holding the rights to the use of that particular recording/arrangement. I am not a lawyer though.

Maybe the rights are a bit confused; Alexander Courage's original Star Trek theme has been quoted by the soundtracks of both the reboot movies and Discovery, but Jerry Goldsmith's theme hasn't been used by either despite it being almost as iconic. I'd like to see his Klingon theme return too. It hasn't been used since First Contact.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's about 10 years away yet!

IDEA! Basically make Pike Han from Fast and Furious franchise. (Han died in the 3rd movie, but they liked him so much they brought the character back in 4-5-6 and thus technically made those movies prequels to 3 and they made knowing jokes about how dumb that all sounds in each movie)

The viewers know whats going to happen to him but just gin up a reason for the Enterprise to be in dry dock for a while and just joke every few episodes that he will be returning to the Enterprise eventually but isnt in a rush.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most examples of past interference time travel in Trek are predestination paradoxes, meaning events already happened the way they did with future interference always part of history, even before we see it on screen.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE COLD AND DISTANT

...LIKE A MOON

...SOMEWHERE

...or something like that

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
My mistake, I'd misread the post.
That's alright. I know Vulcan was never going to be a complete nuclear winter desert planet because how the heck would they survive thousands of years after the big Vulcan/Romulan split. But The Forge was depicted as Death Valley x1000 on TAS and Enterprise so to me, it didn't make sense for it have forests. I know DIS shoots in Vancouver so they have to use those Stargate forests everywhere.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Can someone explain the intro to the latest episode? Time seems Lordran convoluted or something, I didn't fully get it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The TV and film rights were both held by the same parent company at the time TNG was made, so that wouldn't have been a problem then.

I would assume that Paramount/Viacom own the rights to the main melody itself, with CBS perhaps holding the rights to the use of that particular recording/arrangement. I am not a lawyer though.

Maybe the rights are a bit confused; Alexander Courage's original Star Trek theme has been quoted by the soundtracks of both the reboot movies and Discovery, but Jerry Goldsmith's theme hasn't been used by either despite it being almost as iconic. I'd like to see his Klingon theme return too. It hasn't been used since First Contact.

The Picard show HAS to use the TNG theme at least once, surely?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Another really good episode, this season has been a massive improvement

I think i prefer Ethan Peck's Spock to Quinto's

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
There's a "give disco a chance" thread and someone said s2 is worse. I can't even.
I usually take those comments to be trolls because it makes no sense otherwise. It's not just worse when it's said but it has no redeeming qualities too? WTF!?

Anyway time travel in Star Trek is a mess. I rather it not be done because of it but when it is you have to just accept certain things and don't bother most times trying to figure things out further then what is said on screen.

One of the things I really do like about the latest "Previously on Star Trek" and the latest episode is that there was no attempt at all to explain why things looked different. They just are because they were filmed at different points of time and the show has the faith the viewer will clearly understand that. Trek as a franchise needs to put a damn stop to trying to "explain" everything in universe when it looks different. It causes more problems then not when it's attempted. Explaining events is one thing. Providing a new piece of evidence or conversation is one thing. Giving more context to something is great. A great example of this is Lethe in regard to the relationship between Spock and Sarek. Going out of your way to create arcs to explain why something looks different is to far. Accept older productions had less money and tech to make the show and the new production has more and more advances and call it a day.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Just caught up to the latest episode.

Not much to say except; I like the new Spock, "like a moon somewhere" - I laughed.