• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
One of the things I really do like about the latest "Previously on Star Trek" and the latest episode is that there was no attempt at all to explain why things looked different. They just are because they were filmed at different points of time and the show has the faith the viewer will clearly understand that. Trek as a franchise needs to put a damn stop to trying to "explain" everything in universe when it looks different. It causes more problems then not when it's attempted. Explaining events is one thing. Providing a new piece of evidence or conversation is one thing. Giving more context to something is great. A great example of this is Lethe in regard to the relationship between Spock and Sarek. Going out of your way to create arcs to explain why something looks different is to far. Accept older productions had less money and tech to make the show and the new production has more and more advances and call it a day.

I find myself wondering if people who demand explanations for things like that, also demand an explanation for the different models and textures in, say, Halo: MCC.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most examples of past interference time travel in Trek are predestination paradoxes, meaning events already happened the way they did with future interference always part of history, even before we see it on screen.
The ending of that DS9 episode confirms that in the historical records Bell wasn't supposed to look identical to Sisko

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
It's a summary of the TOS pilot, "The Cage", which has Pike first visit Talos IV. Google it.
Yes that I know of, I've seen it too maaany years ago. What I don't get is, isn't that episode set in the future technically? In the canon. But Pike knew who Niva is as if the episode had already happened. That confused me, I must've missed something.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes that I know of, I've seen it too maaany years ago. What I don't get is, isn't that episode set in the future technically? In the canon. But Pike knew who Niva is as if the episode had already happened. That confused me, I must've missed something.

The Cage takes place around 10 years before the rest of The Original Series. Discovery takes place after The Cage, but before TOS.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The Cage happened during Pike's 5 year mission, which he just got back from in Disco. Enterprise then goes out for another 5 years under Kirk's command.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

No. Read my previous posts. The Cage, as the Star Trek pilot, was set before the Discovery year. The original series was reworked and when the series launched the story begins ten years after The Cage.

So the timeline is The Cage -> Discovery -> Star Trek original series.

That episode was already past to Pike and was used as a flashback in The Menagerie episode of ST.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
But now I am thinking: The original 5 years mission of Enterprise with Pike was before/during the Klingon war. After Discovery he will be on the captain's charge of Enterprise for more like 8 years before got promoted. What Enterprise was doing at that time? Is it covered by anything in the lore? That another opportunity for a series....

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just thinking one of the reasons Pike was so miserable in the cage was due to the fact the federation were in a distant war. It adds so much to the cage when you think like that.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just thinking one of the reasons Pike was so miserable in the cage was due to the fact the federation were in a distant war. It adds so much to the cage when you think like that.
Nah. That was three years prior to this weeks episode. The war didn't start for at least 12-18 months later I think?

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I usually take those comments to be trolls because it makes no sense otherwise. It's not just worse when it's said but it has no redeeming qualities too? WTF!?

Anyway time travel in Star Trek is a mess. I rather it not be done because of it but when it is you have to just accept certain things and don't bother most times trying to figure things out further then what is said on screen.

One of the things I really do like about the latest "Previously on Star Trek" and the latest episode is that there was no attempt at all to explain why things looked different. They just are because they were filmed at different points of time and the show has the faith the viewer will clearly understand that. Trek as a franchise needs to put a damn stop to trying to "explain" everything in universe when it looks different. It causes more problems then not when it's attempted. Explaining events is one thing. Providing a new piece of evidence or conversation is one thing. Giving more context to something is great. A great example of this is Lethe in regard to the relationship between Spock and Sarek. Going out of your way to create arcs to explain why something looks different is to far. Accept older productions had less money and tech to make the show and the new production has more and more advances and call it a day.
Agreed. Just assuming people are intelligent enough to know that things look a little different because it's filmed a bunch of decades apart is fine.

Klingons not having ridges could have been completely ignored were it not for the DS9 time travel episode where worf has them.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
But now I am thinking: The original 5 years mission of Enterprise with Pike was before/during the Klingon war. After Discovery he will be on the captain's charge of Enterprise for more like 8 years before got promoted. What Enterprise was doing at that time? Is it covered by anything in the lore? That another opportunity for a series....
Oh yeah. Either before or after disco there is a series there for the Enterprise and Pike if they wanted to do it.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I usually take those comments to be trolls because it makes no sense otherwise. It's not just worse when it's said but it has no redeeming qualities too? WTF!?

Anyway time travel in Star Trek is a mess. I rather it not be done because of it but when it is you have to just accept certain things and don't bother most times trying to figure things out further then what is said on screen.

Honestly I don't get people demanding a explanation of that either. I always saw these things as, Star Trek is a tale of a story that is told and as our own technology advances we are better able to show how the technology in Star Trek is handled, that's it.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. Either before or after disco there is a series there for the Enterprise and Pike if they wanted to do it.

But after we will not get to see the fancy hologram tech 😄

Hummm... that may be the reason they may be reticent to make an Enterprise show. They will have to show its bridge and in any case that will start a storm of complains....

Or set the show in the original 5 years mission and say any change was due to the remodeling/downgrading of Enterprise after the massive mechanical failures it suffers in its return (as show in Disco). Poor Kirk got robbered on a second hand ship.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
But after we will not get to see the fancy hologram tech 😄

Hummm... that may be the reason they may be reticent to make an Enterprise show. They will have to show its bridge and in any case that will start a storm of complains....

Or set the show in the original 5 years mission and say any change was due to the remodeling/downgrading of Enterprise after the massive mechanical failures it suffers in its return (as show in Disco). Poor Kirk got robbered on a second hand ship.
Yeah that could easily be a reason for it. Certain people will be up in arms.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Any theories to what wipes out the galaxy? Saw some ships...

Spock says it will wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy. That would mean it's either a threat from outside of the galaxy or more likely the Runaway AI theory that was posited earlier in the thread. I'll assume Spock was excluding whatever force was doing the destroying from being destroyed itself.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
If the probe used SQL injection to hack Discovery, it must have managed to hack Ariam with a Chromium or Flash exploit.

I can't believe the shit thiese writers can come up with.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If the probe used SQL injection to hack Discovery, it must have managed to hack Ariam with a Chromium or Flash exploit.

I can't believe the shit thiese writers can come up with.

It is kind of strange the handwavium they come up with to explain some things, while completely whiffing on other tech like this.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
What if the theory posted above is true and it lead to the rollback in technology for fear of an
AI threat

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The "Control" referenced briefly last episode is an AI that runs Section 31 and eventually decides to wipe out organics. Remember Georgiou's throwaway line of "taking orders from AI".

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/az2rqm/a_summary_of_what_the_novelverses_control_is_mild/

If this is the case then
Kirk immediately destroying any computer in control of a society makes more sense.

Oct 25, 2017
The time period of the squid thing that attacked the shuttle is the 2700s, same century as Future Guy from Enterprise, who are not meant to have the ability to time travel, so I don't know how this future force have the ability.
Considering how much time travel there is in Star Trek it's kinda stupid to assume they haven't figured it out by 2700, however the tech could come from elsewhere, doesn't have to be human tech that the red angle is using.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever you get around to watching TOS, check out the episodes featuring:
Landru
The M-5
Vaal
The planet where they use a computer to determine who dies in a war

Kirk is like a bloodhound. If he even catches the whiff of computer control over a society, he'll destroy it.

Yeah, I remember that. What I am saying is
that story would be too similar to BSG to be made these days, even if ST touched the subject first

And I agree with the theory that
the red angel is someone from the future trying to change the past to save it from a Control A.I. eliminating all sentient carbone-based life, also a part of its A.I. came back to through the time vortex and hacked Discovery, now currently in the body of Airiam.

I just don´t see this storyline to be the justification of different level of technologies between series. The original series was like that just because it was made 50 years ago.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The hips don't lie, Red angel is female.

190301-startrekdiscoredangel-news.jpg

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
The way he says the angel is lonely and upset right after he pushes Micheal away after she tries being friendly makes me think it actually is Micheal.

I thought that at first but the Angel cannot be Michael because the Angel went back in time to save Michael from death. So Michael was not alive in the future to be the angel, who changed the timeline.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that at first but the Angel cannot be Michael because the Angel went back in time to save Michael from death. So Michael was not alive in the future to be the angel, who changed the timeline.

Micheal travels back to tell Spock because she knows that is how Spock saves her.

It's just a bootstrap paradox and is used often in sci-fi.

Google 'Doctor Who bootstrap paradox' for a clear example.
Edit: I'll do it.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Micheal travels back to tell Spock because she knows that is how Spock saves her.

It's just a bootstrap paradox and is used often in sci-fi.

Google 'Doctor Who bootstrap paradox' for a clear explanation.
Yup, it's the Leia Rule.

What are they gonna just pull out another female character that's as important to the plot as Michael, but as yet unintroduced?

Red Angel is Georgiou, lol

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Red Angel is Georgiou, lol

Well she clearly hates A.I.s.

Wait a minute, thinking about that she can be, as she already mention that she never let an A.I. tell her what to do, and surely an opositing A.I. is against her plans. Plus it would be a redemption arc for her, being alone for that much time. But she also said she knew her version of Michael. Who saved Michael in the Terran Universe?

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I just finished watching the latest episode again, and I not only love the "Previously on Star Trek..." bit at the beginning, but the cut to Pike at the end was really effective. It really hit the mark for me, knowing his fate and how much he's entangled with Talos IV. His scenes with Vina later on add a lot more shading to their relationship as well.

In a way, this episode serves as a nice bridge between The Cage and The Menagerie.

Last edited:

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Well she clearly hates A.I.s.

Wait a minute, thinking about that she can be, as she already mention that she never let an A.I. tell her what to do, and surely an opositing A.I. is against her plans. Plus it would be a redemption arc for her, being alone for that much time. But she also said she knew her version of Michael. Who saved Michael in the Terran Universe?
Hey, the huge lifeform that's possessed the cyborg crew member has a red hue to its possession signature...

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a thought regarding the red angel

My guess is that it's probably going to be Airiam, since she's part cyborg, it would make sense for her to be able to survive somehow until ~2700, since she's been hijacked by whatever is in the future, she might have knowledge about future tech that might help her survive until then and time travel

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people spoiler tagging speculations?

My theory - it's the original PU Georgiou.

It's going to be Michael most probably but that's such an obvious choice that it makes me think the writers would go with someone else.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Oh by the way I was watching Star Trek III and I swear I saw an airiam type character walking into the bar where bones loses it.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Why are people spoiler tagging speculations?

My theory - it's the original PU Georgiou.

It's going to be Michael most probably but that's such an obvious choice that it makes me think the writers would go with someone else.

I wouldnt mind some more OG Georgiou.

The whole storyline reminds me a bit of Babylon 5's War Without End 2-parter, with Sinclair hopping around in time.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I just finished watching the latest episode again, and I not only love the "Previously on Star Trek..." bit at the beginning, but the cut to Pike at the end was really effective. It really hit the mark for me, knowing his fate and how much he's entangled with Talos IV. His scenes with Vina later on add a lot more shading to their relationship as well.

In a way, this episode serves as a nice bridge between The Cage and The Menagerie.

Assuming that next season will feature a different captain, I really hope that Pike gets some great scenes in the final episodes because I think Anson Mount really nailed that role. Please don't let him go out like Lorca :(

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if the red angel is the robotic bridge lady and its totally a time paradox loop of her "activating" herself and turning herself into the red angel.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that next season will feature a different captain, I really hope that Pike gets some great scenes in the final episodes because I think Anson Mount really nailed that role. Please don't let him go out like Lorca :(
He can't, Pike returns to enterprise and we know his fate 10 years down the line thanks to the Menagerie.