• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the rationale behind people thinking it's Ariam. She's barely a character who's had maybe 2 sentences of dialogue. They're not going to make her the central mystery character. It will either be someone completely new or well established already.

Jan 29, 2018
I don't see the rationale behind people thinking it's Ariam. She's barely a character who's had maybe 2 sentences of dialogue. They're not going to make her the central mystery character. It will either be someone completely new or well established already.

Looks like some Airiam stuff is happening this week. If they start now they could build her up in the last six episodes, but it's just as likely in my mind her part of the plot is completed this week.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's not Ariam I don't think. Arian is infected with something evil and is trying to undo the work that the Red Angel (non evil character) is doing.

Oct 25, 2017
If Airiam gets anymore development past this weeks Eps I'll put my money on her. She could become the red angel because of what information the virus might have given her about the future enemy, not because the red angel would have infected her.

Oh I know, I should be more clear. Lorca was set up as a pretty fascinating "dark side" Captain who ended up just being one of the bad guys. I know Pike will live; but I would like a great sendoff, so to say.

Oh yeah me too, I'm going to miss the hell out of him for next season.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's not Ariam I don't think. Arian is infected with something evil and is trying to undo the work that the Red Angel (non evil character) is doing.

That's my assumption aswell. The Red Angel wants to keep Spock and Michael safe and the Discovery wanted to use the Spore Drive to jump to them and rescue them from Talos IV and it's pretty obvious that the infected Ariam must have sabotaged the Spore Drive. Tyler is loyal to S31 but not to that extend that he would actively sabotage the Discovery, it's obvious that he was framed and the only other known entity with a motive for that is Ariam as she's infected with an unknown program.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think it being Michael is a red herring and that the writers want you to think it will be her by dropping bread crumbs like the red angel being human and female.

Stuff that goes against the Michael Red Angel theory:

1. How would Michael save her self from being eaten by the creature on Vulcan when a version of Michael would have had grown up to become the Red Angel in the first place?

2. Why wouldn't Spock immediately recognize the Red Angel as Michael when he did the Vulcan mind meld with her?

3. The Red Angel appears to be from 500 years in the future (the same as the probe and A.I. That has invaded Ariam. How and why would Michael even be that far in the future and where would she get such powers as to move through both time and space? Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey!

4. Why and how would Michael want to change certain events like with the humans on the planet, the futurd of the Kelpien species, etc. To what end?

Nothing lines up at all. Not even a little. I hope it's not Michael and someone entirely new.

Jan 29, 2018
I think it being Michael is a red herring and that the writers want you to think it will be her by dropping bread crumbs like the red angel being human and female.

1. How would Michael save her self from being eaten by the creature on Vulcan when a version of Michael would have had grown up to become the Red Angel in the first place?

2. Why wouldn't Spock immediately recognize the Red Angel as Michael when he did the Vulcan mind meld with her?

3. The Red Angel appears to be from 500 years in the future (the same as the probe and A.I. That has invaded Ariam. How and why would Michael even be that far in the future and where would she get such powers as to move through both time and space? Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey!

4. Why and how would Michael want to change certain events like with the humans on the planet, the futurd of the Kelpien species, etc. To what end?

Nothing lines up at all. Not even a little. I hope it's not Michael and someone entirely new.

#1 is kind of a classic paradox that shows up in sci fi all the time. As for #2 I thought Spock mentioned some technobabble bullshit about why the mind meld only sort of worked. As for the rest I have no idea and I hope you're right.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I don't k ow because it obviously has not.
He was very uncomfortable when Stamets hugged/kissed him when he came back.

Maybe it's just because his feelings toward him have changed, which he expressed in the current episode, but it might be that it'll end up not being Culber at all, despite all the tests they've done.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe it's just because his feelings toward him have changed, which he expressed in the current episode, but it might be that it'll end up not being Culber at all, despite all the tests they've done.

I would have seen that as more of a PTSD thing. Like, intimacy just isn't especially viable for him at the moment.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

I elaborated a bit in my edited post, Culber's sexuality cannot change for real world reasons, of course he could have fallen out of love with Stamets and if he's not Culber at all the point is moot anyway.

He's traumatized, he questions everything from who he is to "Do I still like this soup?", I think he also questions if he's still in love with Stamets but I'm absolutely sure they'll reunite. The show already got some bad press when they killed Culber, then they bend over backwards to bring him back only to break them up? No way, that would just add insult to injury. Some fallout from being dead and then not is necessary but if they don't come out of this as a stronger couple the show can kiss my ass.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Why do I feel like Culber's sexual orientation has changed?

Nah, he's just more assertive and aggressive. He's confused and feeling disconnected from everything (even his own body).

The relationship dynamic between him and Stamets has definitely changed. Before, Stamets was the aloof one who was gone all the time and completely invested in his work, while I got he feeling that Culber was the one who put all the work into the relationship.

But now we saw that dynamic reversed in the latest episode. It'll be interesting to see how that works out going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
They said their relationship was going on a wild ride so yeah I wouldn't count them out just yet, I think they'll find each other again, it's something Stamets said when they first found him too.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know because it obviously has not. There's no way he won't be gay anymore, that would be a PR disaster for the show, "Star Trek introduces first gay couple, perfects conversion therapy via death and spore revival".
For real.

And besides that, I think the writers themselves want to do a good job with gay representation. I feel like a big part of the reason they brought him back is that they got so wrapped up in having the first gay couple in trek that they accidentally stepped into the bury your gays trope, and part of the reason they brought him back is because they wanted to fix that mistake.

The idea that they would reverse a homophobic trope so they could implement an even homophobicer trope is kind of....dumb. Not strictly speaking impossible, but if they actually did this, this would be the dumbest storytelling decisions any creator has made since the start of Discovery.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that had any effect, the writers along with Anthony and Cruz all said he was coming back the night the episode aired. I think this was planned out well in advance.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1&4 are covered by bootstrap paradox and predestination paradox. She does all those because she already knows they need to happen.

The AI in the cyborg women and the sphere knowledge can cover the rest.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I've been loving the amount of noise people have been making online about a Pike/Spock/#1/Enterprise spinoff.
Hopefully their (assumed) departure at the end of this season is not goodbye.
I don't think they'll do a Pike Enterprise show, so far all spin offs in development have differentiated themselves a lot, a Pike show would be another starfleet crew on an explorer having adventures in the exact same time period, feels a bit pointless. If they want a Pike show they could just keep him on Discovery with Spock and Number One (as the new Enterprise captain) recurring.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time Stamets talks to Culber who is clearly going through some shit I am internally screaming "DUDE. HE DIED. GIVE HIM SOME TIME TO GET HIS HEAD IN CHECK. GOD DAMN SHOW SOME CHILL"

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they'll do a Pike Enterprise show, so far all spin offs in development have differentiated themselves a lot, a Pike show would be another starfleet crew on an explorer having adventures in the exact same time period, feels a bit pointless. If they want a Pike show they could just keep him on Discovery with Spock and Number One (as the new Enterprise captain) recurring.

So far Disco is extremely serialized with minimal exploration of new planets; Pike-Enterprise could fill that niche. But I expect that CBS wants to make serialized Trek.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Every time Stamets talks to Culber who is clearly going through some shit I am internally screaming "DUDE. HE DIED. GIVE HIM SOME TIME TO GET HIS HEAD IN CHECK. GOD DAMN SHOW SOME CHILL"

Right? I get that he's also going through some trauma from losing his partner but god damn dude, you cannot be that self absorbed to not see Culber going to through an existential crisis after being in a living hell for months.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

Seriously. Leave him the fuck alone for a while and let him adjust. He looked liked he'd gone insane when they found him.

This storyline for them is garbage anyway, he should have either stayed dead or not been killed in the first place.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I also wonder if they would want to use Spock so much in TV format while the films are also active and in production. I think WB imposed restrictions on use of key DC characters in tv shows while their movie versions were active. I'd be happy for Spock to come back to TV though (I'd be happy with a pseudo remake of ToS with Pike and Spock).

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I hope the Red Angel is someone new and that the Spore Drive technology ends up being related to the Iconians or the Preservers in some way. It being Michael, Airiam, Tilly, May, or Spock would be disappointing.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

While that is true I can see how Stamets is partially blind to that. They were practically a married couple (while the series did went as far as saying they were married, they lived together). Love is sometimes hard and make you do foolish things. It is not that Stamets is selfish, it is thatbhe is suffering twice. Once when Culbert died and now seeing that Culbert is not alright. He want to help him, but end making it worse.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I think Stamets is very aware that new Culber has returned a somewhat 'different' person.
I don't believe he's all that dumb - so he's also trying to be the "very best boyfriend ever" as to not lose the person that he's already lost once already, again.
Like, he realizes Culber struggles with his newfound ... existence, but whatever happens, he doesn't want them to drift apart while Culber's undergoing to his healing process.

Of course, he's being very counterproductive ... but i'm not sure many people wouldn't do the same.
"I'm all better, but somehow i've fallen out of love with you" sounds like a horrible possible outcome.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure any of us would be any better if we found our partner with a snapped neck, had a funeral and then weeks later when you've just started to deal with it a bit they are alive again.

It's hard for both of them.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I've been catching up on the series, and I have to say, the scene of the beginning of episode 8 where

They do a hard cut from TOS The Cage to the new Pike was some hype shit. I got real excited to see them bring back the old footage.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching 'If Memory Serves', man thats a really good looking episode. Really liked the shot of Culber in the turbolift. Never thought of them as so claustrophobic before. Also liked the fact the bridge crew eats together at the same time. Wonder if we will ever get to see the 'night shift' officers

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching 'If Memory Serves', man thats a really good looking episode. Really liked the shot of Culber in the turbolift. Never thought of them as so claustrophobic before. Also liked the fact the bridge crew eats together at the same time. Wonder if we will ever get to see the 'night shift' officers
The attention to detail like this is all over Discovery and love that they do stuff like that.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Also liked the fact the bridge crew eats together at the same time. Wonder if we will ever get to see the 'night shift' officers

I too would love to see that. It is something missing from most sci-fi series, no one wonders how those space vassels run 24/7 (they can't park for sleep, can they?). The Expanse showed that, though.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I too would love to see that. It is something missing from most sci-fi series, no one wonders how those space vassels run 24/7 (they can't park for sleep, can they?). The Expanse showed that, though.
I swear there was an episode of TNG where Picard and the main cast walks on to the bridge and the other shift is relieved. Maybe im tripping and just thinking of Robot Chicken though. The other shifts do get mentioned occasionally but apparently nothing fun happens when theyre on

Oct 25, 2017
I swear there was an episode of TNG where Picard and the main cast walks on to the bridge and the other shift is relieved. Maybe im tripping and just thinking of Robot Chicken though. The other shifts do get mentioned occasionally but apparently nothing fun happens when theyre on
Voyager had an episode where Harry was in charge during the night shift and gets a distress signal. I think that was the episode where they pick up that robot missile that takes over the Doctor and threatens to blow up Voyager if they don't take him to his target.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

Yes there is a day and night shift. Dr. Crusher also takes the night shift in Thine Own Self and Harry Kim has also done so on Voyager.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I noticed that there has been a lot more positive reviews and fan impressions around the internet. Not just here on ResetEra but also on YouTube and elsewhere. I am glad more and more people are enjoying the show. Season 2 has been really strong so far for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a few friends give it a chance, completely unexpected too, they aren't trek fans, or even Sci-Fi fans really and they've been loving it. They keep texting me during all the big twists, I just had someone message be about Culber return lol