• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Discovery is cursed by having every other ship seem more interesting than it. Shenzou, Enterprise, etc.

The writers have reached ludicrous levels with the Michael worship. It was already at silly levels when they had her torture herself to death for the greater good. And now it turns out she was the Red Angel all along. You could probably craft a whole episode of her making distraught suffering faces whilst the rest is made up of the reaction shots of the crew staring up at her in awe.

They were really quick to ditch "this suit is self-evidently so advanced it must be from the future" (because no other species could possibly be ahead of us). Then it switched to "we had these plans all along. The tech is 15 years old". Now it's "we'll just make a body cast on board".

They really should have nerfed the spore drive this season. They can go literally anywhere. They could have gone to Starfleet Command and reported their situation in person. They could have gone to the other side of the Beta quadrant and left Klingon space in between them and Control. Even a few lightyears gives them days of breathing time. The engineer mentioned the spore drive was offline until the time crystal was charged but nothing was stopping them from jumping first and then charging.

They still had ship-to-ship comms. Call up every non-S31 ship in the fleet. The entire galaxy is at stake and even one more ship is a 50% increase in numbers.

It's really weird how Airiam's actress gets all these close-ups and is portrayed as part of the core group when in-universe she's a random new person.

Oct 25, 2017
It better be Saru, but the way he cut Pike off before he could field promote someone suggests Saru will have some reason to step aside for Michael.

Which is dumb, and also less interesting than having the main character not be the captain.

Naw it's gotta be Saru. It would be too dumb to skip past him to make it Burnham.
Or maybe they'll finally go pick up their dude waiting at the bus stop in a tattered box on Vulcan.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't make Michael captain. She's better when she has someone to report to. That said, Saru was definitely changed by the loss of his ganglia. I could see a future episode where he takes a big risk and loses because of his lack of fear.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to Saru as captain team. Burnham can become his first officer.

Hopefully, Saru won't share the same fate as prime Georgiou because of Burnham's recklessness.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The captain chair is going to be like the teacher position of Defense Against the Dark Arts in Harry Potter. It's cursed I tell you! Each Captain lasts one season.

I'm all for Saru, but, it will probably mean he'll be captain for one year.

Jan 29, 2018
The next captain should be one of those Xindi whales so they have to flood the bridge. Or does Starfleet not care about accessibility?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
If Saru becomes captain, that'll be the first time that a show's lead captain is non-human right?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I didn't understand thisbreferende. He wouldn't have had clearance to know about it unless Michael told him?

Or maybe Pike is from the Mirror Universe too?
As others pointed out, he likely knew about the Mirror Universe due to the unfolding events, probably most Captains were made aware, especially the Captain of the flagship. Then he just put two and two together based on her radical behavior change.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
So Star Trek has the concept of different time lines right, does that mean then the future Michael and Discovery will jump to is not the future of the prime universe but a different one (same one as Michael's mom's current location) where all sentient life has been wiped out?

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So Star Trek has the concept of different time lines right, does that mean then the future Michael and Discovery will jump to is not the future of the prime universe but a different one (same one as Michael's mom's current location) where all sentient life has been wiped out?
Unless shenanigans, no, you can only jump forwards to the future of the timeline you are on.

Oct 28, 2017
Are you certain? Because I remember his interactions with her would suggest he was confused by her change from how he remembered her.
He got briefed on the situation when he first took over Disco.[/QUOTE]
As others pointed out, he likely knew about the Mirror Universe due to the unfolding events, probably most Captains were made aware, especially the Captain of the flagship. Then he just put two and two together based on her radical behavior change.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh star trek is very weird with time travel, the best explanation is time is fluid and the future isn't set.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't think life gets wiped out as long as Discovery leaves, and then it depends on how far into the future they go. It should be Prime Universe timeline, unless something goes horribly wrong.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, his answer doesn't strictly necessitate that Pike know Georgiou to specifically be from a 'mirror universe' so much as 'clearly not the Philippa Georgiou he knew'. So she affirmed those suspicions; for all we know he could have been debating between that, long lost twin, or clone.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you certain? Because I remember his interactions with her would suggest he was confused by her change from how he remembered her.
He got briefed on the situation when he first took over Disco.

He also had a scene with Micheal where he suggested they needed to discuss what was going on with her and Georgiou and Micheal told him she'd explain everything so it could have also been then.

But then that means the future is fixed?

Well when they take Disco to the future it fixes the timeline so yeah I guess.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
No, but it would be at the time you are jumping. If you are asking if the future can change at some point for some reason beyond that point. Sure.
If it's fixed at the point you're jumping to and you can only jump to the future of the current timeline, then does that not mean the future is fixed? The way I look at it, the future where Michael's mom ended up is a different timeline as otherwise her actions will not change the outcome.

May be it's best to ignore the details...

Oct 25, 2017
Like the Prime timeline should be the future we see in Endgame in Voyager before Janeway goes back in time and changes everything. That timeline should be different like the Kelvin timeline is different. But yeah...

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
If it's fixed at the point you're jumping to and you can only jump to the future of the current timeline, then does that not mean the future is fixed? The way I look at it, the future where Michael's mom ended up is a different timeline as otherwise her actions will not change the outcome.

May be it's best to ignore the details...
Time travel in shows is always a mess.

What I mean is that you jump into the future of the timeline you are on. If someone in that timeline then changes the future of that timeline, even though you are already in the future before that action by that person, the timeline you are in doesn't change. So they would indeed create a different timeline for themselves. Now as to which one is the "prime"? Who the fuck knows at that point. Where do you go when you jump back through time to a point beyond the change?

It is all a mess.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen Voyager. I'm fairly new to Trek tbh. Only seen some episodes from TNG, ToS and DS9. Haven't seen any of the movies (except the JJ verse). I've got lots of Trek to catch up on.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the bridges too. Makes sense when it's not the Enterprise D with its 200 transporter rooms

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I also liked the bridges, but they got lucky that the Enterprise and Discovery are somewhat form-fitting and can sit rather closely to each other. If they had to stick two Discoveries together, those bridges would have to be a lot longer

Feb 10, 2018
A build up episode left on the cliffhanger.
It's good but it is a tease.
For some reason I thought E13 was the last one for season 2

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I also liked the bridges, but they got lucky that the Enterprise and Discovery are somewhat form-fitting and can sit rather closely to each other. If they had to stick two Discoveries together, those bridges would have to be a lot longer

I assume then both ships would have extended the bridges and then they would have connected in the middle. I liked the concept too as it seemed very plausible and efficient, just a metal-construct with force-fields as walls.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Or, hear me out, Discovery gets shoved into the distant past accidentally... with Control/Leland having managed to get aboard.

They managed to get rid of Control/Leland (on a planet in the Delta Quadrant!) and find a way to send themselves to the future, but the ship has to take the long way. They massively overshoot and end up in the 33rd century. Thus tying into Calypso.

There is still something wrong. In Calypso, Discovery stayed abandoned for like 1.000 years. It did not jump 1.000 years in the future.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I assume then both ships would have extended the bridges and then they would have connected in the middle. I liked the concept too as it seemed very plausible and efficient, just a metal-construct with force-fields as walls.

I know it's the future, but free-floating docking of that sort just doesn't sit right with me. It's a tremendous challenge just to get two little pods right next to each other to line up in space today (and has been since the 1960s, when we first tried it).

As I noted earlier, it's even more surprising that they were able to re-dock and get everyone back over the bridges and in place on the Discovery in less than five minutes (and that the probe data didn't mind).

Last edited:

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
One thing I feel is never discussed every time they go on about getting rid of the sphere data is that Control is still pretty damn dangerous without it as we've seen multiple times. Just because it can't grow further doesn't fix the current issue.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's the future, but free-floating docking of that sort just doesn't sit right with me. It's a tremendous challenge just to get two little pods right next to each other to line up in space today (and has been since the 1960s, when we first tried it).

I guess that's why we had the 3 minute scene of station keeping in order to line up the ships just right. Also, since these to ships are of roughly the same generation i figure they were designed and there was training to do this.

I also like Michael saying, "fascinating" instead of Spock. I guess hats a family thing.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

As I noted earlier, it's even more surprising that they were able to re-dock and get everyone back over the bridges and in place on the Discovery in less than five minutes (and that the probe data didn't mind).

I assume to transport the skeleton-crew back they used the transporters and had Discovery back online again by that time. And as mentioned by sooperkool they did show that it took a while to get aligned plus don't forget these are space-ships with artificial gravity, full maneuverability by thrusters and impulse, intertia-dampers and whatnot, things that we don't have in real-life.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Time travel in shows is always a mess.

What I mean is that you jump into the future of the timeline you are on. If someone in that timeline then changes the future of that timeline, even though you are already in the future before that action by that person, the timeline you are in doesn't change. So they would indeed create a different timeline for themselves. Now as to which one is the "prime"? Who the fuck knows at that point. Where do you go when you jump back through time to a point beyond the change?

It is all a mess.
If I remember correctly there are some quotes from captains showing their distaste for time travel. Picard even has one saying how he avoid time paradox just going forward always.

Edit: "On several occasions Captain Jean-Luc Picard attempted to prevent a predestination paradox from forming by ordering the USS Enterprise-D to stay on its current course, fearing that changing course to avoid a time loop may be the very thing that got the ship stuck in the loop in the first place. (TNG: "Time Squared", "Cause and Effect") "

Last edited: