• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Good episode. Pike is great, hope to see more of him in future shows. Actually I don't think there's a single character I dislike on this show, they're all awesome in their ways. Well, maybe not Tyler, he's a grump.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I remember when they announced that TOS characters were going to appear in Season 2, I was like "Eeek, really?"

Says a lot about Season 2 and Anson Mount's performance that I've done a total 180 on that - just signed that petition for a Pike spin-off because I really want it!

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so it didn't have a showrunner up until now? What does a "showrunner" actually do then if a show can be made without one.
They did but the showrunners got fired before season 2 got started and they brought Kurtzman on board for season 2, however he's overseeing all of star trek now so they hired Michelle to co-run Disco with him for season 3 (and beyond I imagine)

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Just use this time-travel thing to handwave a new timeline where Anson Mount stays on as Pike forever and ever and ever

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Just find mirror Pike somewhere and throw him into the crew. Or get him to replace regular Pike while the real one stays with Discovery.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool that those short treks are coming back.

So... the AI is Calypso is the sphere data?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This episode was a whole load of nothing. A great why serialised shows can suck example.

Also... just fire more torpedoes for fuck sake. No wonder you lost the war.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay as someone who's not well versed in Trek universe but watched TNG and all the movies as a kid; is this going to be a different universe? I know there was speculation during the first season but I just think it's odd that we would have never heard of spock having a sister. Or did we and I missed it?

Anyway loving the season. Got CBS specifically for it and it hasn't disappointed. A big step up from season one in my opinion

This show has no respect for continuity at all, so just accept it or choose to view it as an alternate timeline.

Oct 31, 2017
It would also probably nope the fuck out and spore jump. Right now it has no concept of why Control is the enemy, so for all we know it might flee the Enterprise and seek shelter with Section 31.

Right. I'm pretty sure if they kept attacking Discovery it would have kept evolving to protect itself.

It's not magic, just wear the shields down and destroy it. Or go back onboard and pull out all the stuff that lets it run, or put bombs inside it.

...and c'mon, they lost the war.

The data was protecting itself, it wouldn't go down with the ship. I think if they kept firing it would have taken evasive action if not returned fire.

and they saved Earth right as it was surrounded. Ending the war was the win.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just fire more torpedoes for fuck sake. No wonder you lost the war.
It's not magic, just wear the shields down and destroy it. Or go back onboard and pull out all the stuff that lets it run, or put bombs inside it.

looks like someone never watched the ultimate computer

This show has no respect for continuity at all, so just accept it or choose to view it as an alternate timeline.

oh not this shit again how many time are we going to tell you it's the prime universe even georgiou name dropped it for people like you

Oct 25, 2017
Disco hasn't done anything to break canon that can't be explained in the 9 years left between Disco and TOS, other than the fact that it doesn't look like a low budget tv show from the 60s.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh not this shit again how many time are we going to tell you it's the prime universe even georgiou name dropped it for people like you

If someone wants to view it as an alternate timeline they can. Get over it.

Disco hasn't done anything to break canon that can't be explained in the 9 years left between Disco and TOS, other than the fact that it doesn't look like a low budget tv show from the 60s.

Continuity, not canon. Just to get the terminology right. And c'mon, the list is huge but I'm not getting into this again. If you wanna ignore the many reasons fine, but let's not pretend there isn't a huge amount of reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
If someone wants to view it as an alternate timeline they can. Get over it.

Continuity, not canon. Just to get the terminology right. And c'mon, the list is huge but I'm not getting into this again. If you wanna ignore the many reasons fine, but let's not pretend there isn't a huge amount of reasons.
So you mean within Disco? Yeah sure and I just ignore it. It's a tv show after all.

Also this looks so cool

dsc-214-trail-25.jpg

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
sure and people can believe that the earth is flat i'll still call them out for it just like i'm calling you out for believing something completely wrong

TOS itself creates several separate timelines, as do TNG and later series. Divergent timelines (and changes to continuity) are not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sure and people can believe that the earth is flat i'll still call them out for it just like i'm calling you out for believing something completely wrong

Stop moving goalposts because you made a bad statement, go read my original statement again.

I said to accept the show has continuity problems or view it as a alternate timeline. That is his or anyone elses choice.

So what are you calling me out on with your ridiculous strawman argument?

Are you trying to thought police? "How dare he see all these errors and suggest watching the show with a certain mindset, he must watch it in the mindset how I chose to!!!!".

Unlike your silly flat Earth strawman, there is no 'right' way to watch STD.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth I'm not caught up the the timelines stuff I was just curious. I actually like the idea of different timelines on occasion (with any property) but only because it allows, as a prequel, a story to go in unexpected directions. In this case I'm fine with it being the OG timeline. I appreciate the responses though

Oct 25, 2017
Okay as someone who's not well versed in Trek universe but watched TNG and all the movies as a kid; is this going to be a different universe? I know there was speculation during the first season but I just think it's odd that we would have never heard of spock having a sister. Or did we and I missed it?

Anyway loving the season. Got CBS specifically for it and it hasn't disappointed. A big step up from season one in my opinion

It's be very concretely established in the primary star trek universe, for better or worse with all the baggage that comes with and any incongruities it creates.
Don't believe it if anyone who tells you otherwise. They are free to have those opinions but they are not based on reality. This is the Prime Universe.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Pounding their feet and claiming that this isn't in continuity may be a person's prerogative, but it doesn't make them right. Alternative facts are never to be held on the same level as actual, real world facts; there is, in fact, a correct way to watch things.

Spock never mentioning his sister makes more sense if you view it at an angle where it seems very much like he will either believe she's dead or otherwise in a place that would make it difficult for them to see each other again. He never mentioned his brother until it became relevant; why talk about his sister if he thinks that she's lost to him?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would a character like Quark work on a show like discovery?

Sure, why not? We already had Mudd.

Although making him recurring would probably mean that he'd have to spend a lot of time on the bridge and/or with Michael. Culber is pretty much the only recurring character that exists outside of that center of gravity.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Would a character like Quark work on a show like discovery?
Not as a regular. There are no civilians on the ship and everything is done by the book. Pike, Lorca (when he was ostensibly good) and Saru wouldn't tolerate someone who operates like Quark.

If the show was expanded beyond the confines of a Starship there'd be room for more shady characters. As it stands the only morally grey characters are in Section 31.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Mudd...I wonder if they are going to incorporate the final Short Trek, there are enough winks and nudges to include Calypso but nothing yet about the Mudd one.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Mudd...I wonder if they are going to incorporate the final Short Trek, there are enough winks and nudges to include Calypso but nothing yet about the Mudd one.

It's gotta be a late twist that someone in the crew is just an android copy. Or was there anything about holograms in that episode, I don't remember the details.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I had to skip the Culbert/Stamets drama and anything Michael and parents as usual. I can't stomach this shit anymore. Spock's mother especially.
The rest was ridiculous techno babble and minute solutions to complex problems. Or dumb solutions to simple problems.

Also Control is dumb, can't replicate itself anywhere or take control (lol) of a ship's basic systems.
The show can't do AI enemy properly. Like last week "oh Control is within this abandonned ship and probably everywhere in its system, let's go inside and speak aloud about our plans to defeat it".

At least we got the queen back.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
We could argue about continuity and alternate universes and what's a fact until the cows come home, but the truth is, just like the complaints that the new movie timeline "undid Deep Space Nine" that were going around the old place 10 years ago, it doesn't really matter, Star Trek isn't real. I just can't get worked up over it either way, beyond the odd snide comment about not using the Spore Drive to jump to the next galaxy over or something. Most complaints about shows can, at the end of the day, be explained by "it's a Television show and this is the story the writers wanted to tell"

In another couple of Decades a new Trek will completely unpick Discovery and a bunch of 30-somethings that grew up on DSC will be complaining about it

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait so it didn't have a showrunner up until now? What does a "showrunner" actually do then if a show can be made without one.

Her IMDb doesn't look too promising. Jobs for the boys I imagine, or just cheap.

I bet Ira Steven Behr or any of the other old Sci-Fi hands would love a crack at Disco.