• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
These trolls have no limits. They are putting in massive amounts of work like a full-time job just to attack Discovery... butt why???? Youtube clicks?

Guess.

star-trek-discovery-cast-destination-birmingham-750x480.jpg

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
That was fun. The short treks are great and I like that each one has a different focus so you get little glimpses that fill out the world in this version of Trek.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the humor to much. The stuff I've seen in the Orville has just been stupid and very crude. That said I don't think they need to do that to much though. Let situational humor play out but don't force it in normal episodes.

The Tardigrades creator has filed an appeal and is being backed by one of the Youtube morons with a GoFundme who has obviously talked him into it. I wonder when he'll realize his being used the Discovery haters?

At one point I felt sorry that he was being used by these people but that's all gone at this point. He's willfully being used by these idiots that don't give a damn about him. You can't introduce anything in an appeal if I'm remembering correctly. So this should be quick as the dismissal was very clear he had nothing to his case as many said.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The best/worst thing is that is now all he is actually known for, suing Star Trek with the Alt-right backing him up. Type his name into Google and the first 6 results are an Alt-right geek youtube channel. Then bounding into comics, another Alt-right source. So 7 results before a non asshole source.

You have to go to the second page before you can even find out who he is besides the guy suing Star Trek. And even then it doesn't mention his game by name.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what he has to appeal, as I said before even if the show did rip-off his game they didn't use any specifics like character names and you can't copyright ideas. He would need get the law changed.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah this lawsuit is the equivalent of if CBS/Paramount sued any fiction that ever use the term warp drive.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, it was always weird to me that Discovery seemed to make concessions to its format just so it could air on a single terrestrial TV station in one country (Canada, on Space/CTV SciFi). Had to imagine terrestrial rights would be up for grabs eventually.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That recent Short Trek was incredible.

It's amazing to think that there's been this goldmine of content possibilities sitting there for 50 years, and only now is it being opened wide.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It's terrestrial TV rights rather than streaming. So nothing changes for Netflix. I suspect it'll be a year or two behind the streamed content
this is the likely explanation. S1 may well not air on CH4 until S3 airs.

It's also possible that it just means Ch4 can't show a new episode for 6 months after it comes out. Won't know until CH4 talk about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they are still hashing out details with the three cast members and putting together a production team, that's why they haven't announced anything so far one way or the other, considering they are developing 5 star trek related shows plus the short treks, they are probably stretched thin atm

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
This constant teasing has been stupid. Either it's happening or it's not. Just announce a decision already.
The amount of content from 2 people that apparently AREN'T on staff any more is just bizarre.

I think they'll want capitalize on the goodwill that the Picard premiere will generate. When Picard airs and inevitably does well in critical reception, fan reception and net CBS All Access sign-ups they announce it on the coat tails of that. A 'you ain't seen nothing yet' move. Should also aid some of the other unaired shows too. Strong tides raise all boats.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think they'll want capitalize on the goodwill that the Picard premiere will generate. When Picard airs and inevitably does well in critical reception, fan reception and net CBS All Access sign-ups they announce it on the coat tails of that. A 'you ain't seen nothing yet' move. Should also aid some of the other unaired shows too. Strong tides raise all boats.
Yup, and there's still that animated series in the pipeline. Don't wanna announce too much at once, or you fall into the over-saturation trap that Star Wars did.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Why is that inevitable?

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Why is that inevitable?

It is inevitable in my estimation because of:

• Confirmation bias as to the quality of Patrick Stewart's work
  • Confirmation bias as to the quality of Michael Chabon's work
  • A generation that is nostalgic for TNG driving the media critical conversation
  • A large-scale fandom desire to see storytelling in this universe move forward chronologically incrementally and not by several hundred years

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So despite Season 3 looking horribly un-Trek and just generic grimdark Sci-Fi from what we've seen so far I have thought of the way the premise could possibly work and actually be good.

So we know that the Discovery has gone to some awful future where the Federation has somehow collapsed in on itself in barely a century, but what if this wasn't because of an attack or some kind of political upheaval (neither of which should realistically be able to bring down the 31st Century Federation in such a short timespan given its size and technology by that point) but was in fact due to surgical attacks throughout the timeline on the Federation's history, with each one rippling through time and making the future more and more bleak. We know that even in the 31st Century the Federation seems vulnerable to historical changes due to 31st Century Earth becoming a destroyed, lifeless wasteland due to Archer being removed from history.
At some point a few planets realise what is going on and are able to develop technology to defend themselves from additional changes in history, but by that point there's barely any of them left and they lack the resources to both defend themselves from the forces in the present attacking them and investigate the changes in history. So Discovery comes along and presents them with a unique opportunity. The ship is basically useless for helping to fight off 31st/32nd Century attacks in the present, but with some outfitting of whatever future tech is compatible the Discovery can be sent on missions to various points all throughout history to correct the timeline, leading to the future being gradually restored. At the same time, Discovery is tasked with unravelling the mystery of just who attacked the history of the Federation and why.

Eventually this could be revealed to be any number of things. Maybe one of the ancient fallen empires (Like the Iconians or the T'Kon) have returned to reclaim their territory but needed to weaken the Federation first. Or maybe it's a totally new threat from outside of the Milky Way. They came with the intention of conquering/enslaving the galaxy but found the Federation there, who at that point would have spread across most of the galaxy and have incredibly advanced technology, plus by that point likely millions of staships, all of them with the capaibility of jumping to any kind of invasion point within minutes. So with that many ships and an empire with the resources of an entire galaxy at their disposal any kind of direct attack is doomed to failure. So they decided to weaken the Federation throughout history, whilst leaving at least some of the technology, and most of the people, intact for conquest.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So despite Season 3 looking horribly un-Trek and just generic grimdark Sci-Fi from what we've seen so far I have thought of the way the premise could possibly work and actually be good.

So we know that the Discovery has gone to some awful future where the Federation has somehow collapsed in on itself in barely a century, but what if this wasn't because of an attack or some kind of political upheaval (neither of which should realistically be able to bring down the 31st Century Federation in such a short timespan given its size and technology by that point) but was in fact due to surgical attacks throughout the timeline on the Federation's history, with each one rippling through time and making the future more and more bleak. We know that even in the 31st Century the Federation seems vulnerable to historical changes due to 31st Century Earth becoming a destroyed, lifeless wasteland due to Archer being removed from history.
At some point a few planets realise what is going on and are able to develop technology to defend themselves from additional changes in history, but by that point there's barely any of them left and they lack the resources to both defend themselves from the forces in the present attacking them and investigate the changes in history. So Discovery comes along and presents them with a unique opportunity. The ship is basically useless for helping to fight off 31st/32nd Century attacks in the present, but with some outfitting of whatever future tech is compatible the Discovery can be sent on missions to various points all throughout history to correct the timeline, leading to the future being gradually restored. At the same time, Discovery is tasked with unravelling the mystery of just who attacked the history of the Federation and why.

Eventually this could be revealed to be any number of things. Maybe one of the ancient fallen empires (Like the Iconians or the T'Kon) have returned to reclaim their territory but needed to weaken the Federation first. Or maybe it's a totally new threat from outside of the Milky Way. They came with the intention of conquering/enslaving the galaxy but found the Federation there, who at that point would have spread across most of the galaxy and have incredibly advanced technology, plus by that point likely millions of staships, all of them with the capaibility of jumping to any kind of invasion point within minutes. So with that many ships and an empire with the resources of an entire galaxy at their disposal any kind of direct attack is doomed to failure. So they decided to weaken the Federation throughout history, whilst leaving at least some of the technology, and most of the people, intact for conquest.
The federation was never explicitly stated as existing in Daniels time. As a time cop he was just aware of it.

Jan 29, 2018
If Season 3 opened with a title card saying that all of the Temporal Cold War stuff was no longer canon the franchise would be better for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh that all sounds more complicated than it needs to be, you don't need a big war or something catastrophic, something like disillusionment against the federation and planets deciding they'd rather just not be a part of it would be enough.Then you go around with the Disco crew trying to find out why they all lost faith in the federation and it's ideals.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So hundreds (Possibly thousands by that point) of worlds all suddenly shrug and go "Nah fuck this" in barely a century?