• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
No, I want to see them further attempt redemption of Space Hitler. That's what Trek is about right, showing that Hitler isn't all bad?

I am fucking amazed they think this is acceptable. I get they wanna keep Michelle Yeoh around, but using Space Hitler who is just a Trek representation of real Hitler is nuts.

I understand why it'd probably seem boring and possibly just a retread of old Trek, and that Michelle Yeoh herself doesn't sound interested in that aspect of the character, but I still kind of wish we could just get a show with Yeoh being the captain of the Shenzhou again.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
What was the last update on Section 31, because honestly I think they should just can that in favor of a Pike show.
I still believe and I think they themselves might believe the audience for a Pike show might be limited. Where as the show headed by Michelle Yeoh and not white male lead approach might be more attractive to an international market. Honestly I think they might be right as well. There is a lot of love for Pike and what Mount was able to bring the character but many times it feels like a very vocal minority.

Also a lot of the important aspects of PIke's life have been covered now between TOS and Discovery. You could go younger but that means not going with Mount. Having him in short burst with the Short Treks I feel works fine. Also what would be the goal with a Pike lead series that isn't just a repeat of TOS or maybe even TNG?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I still believe and I think they themselves might believe the audience for a Pike show might be limited. Where as the show headed by Michelle Yeoh and not white male lead approach might be more attractive to an international market. Honestly I think they might be right as well. There is a lot of love for Pike and what Mount was able to bring the character but many times it feels like a very vocal minority.

Also a lot of the important aspects of PIke's life have been covered now between TOS and Discovery. You could go younger but that means not going with Mount. Having him in short burst with the Short Treks I feel works fine. Also what would be the goal with a Pike lead series that isn't just a repeat of TOS or maybe even TNG?
Exactly, a Pike show would be very similar to TOS, it wouldn't bring a lot of new things to the table. How many ship based heroic starfleet characters have adventures shows have we had? DSC is doing that right now.

A section 31 show featuring antiheroes sounds way more interesting and would very different from the other shows and that seems to be something CBS is going for, so far every announced project is distinct.
People also seem to underestimate Michelle Yeoh's pull especially internationally, if they can get her to commit to a series as the lead it would be madness not to use her. And Pike and the Enterprise could still feature in the section 31 show.

What might be a cool and fun twist would be using Pike and his crew in a section 31 show to flip the audience's perspective on an interloping trickster character.

Like a show about Q, from his view, and what it's like for him to frequently stop in and drive Picard crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they could either retool Section 31 to feature Pike and crew as recurring characters or just do a limited mini-series, maybe end it with Pike giving command of the Enterprise to Kirk.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
For such secret organization, Section 31, is well know by everybody.... Just show a badge.... Ohhh Section 31 badge!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point in time S31 wasn't that secret yet, more like the CIA or such. I imagine only after the events that happened with Control they go underground eventually.
Not true at all. Enterprise showed us they a secret organisation already. And DS9 showed they always were.

The STD version is just terribly implemented. But of course these are the writers who think "Never mention the Spore drive that thousands saw in action or that super famous mutineer Michael Burnham ever again" will keep them secret.

Oct 25, 2017
In Enterprise it wasn't Section 31 yet as Section 31 refers to the section of the Starfleet Charter that allows it to exist and Starfleet wasn't around yet.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Kurtzman and McNamara ( All Access Executive VP) touched on Section 31 in a recent interview. Show is still definitely in development.

Michelle Yeoh is going to be the lead of a spinoff based on her role as Philippa Georgiou. Where are you with that show?

McNamara: We are very excited about the Section 31 show and Michelle Yeoh is excited to do it. She is in the current season of Discovery so she's working on that right now but we have scripts getting written, and Alex has a writer's room. We love what we've heard so far. It's yet another tonality of Trek. As Alex has mapped it all out, each show has its own unique sort of voice and vision.

What's the tonality of this one?

Kurtzman: What we don't want is for you to watch one show and be like, well I don't really need to watch that other Star Trek show cause I've already watched Discovery or whatever. So to me Section 31 is sort of like the black ops CIA division of Star Trek and it was established in Deep Space 9. Full credit goes to Michelle Yeoh for coming to me and saying in season one, before we even launched, "I want to do a spin off of my character!" With Michelle Yeoh, it's very hard to say no.

This was like a year before Crazy Rich Asians came out and we had not launched Discovery yet. No one had seen it. So I was like, let's have one show that hopefully people like and we can talk about it. Once Discovery happened, I brought it to Julie and she immediately said, great, let's develop it. Erica [Lippoldt] and Bo Yeon [Kim], two writers on our Discovery staff, started writing a pilot and it's really different. It occupies an area of the Trek universe that's never really been explored geographically. It has a new mythology to it, which is very interesting. And it puts Michelle's character to the test in a lot of ways that Discovery can't. In some ways it will be her Unforgiven, I would say.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I do have to ask what do some people really want because I don't think they themselves really know. Do they want a Pike show ala TOS or what they actually want is just really more of Pike? The two are different things I feel. You can easily get the second in a Section 31 show as suggest earlier. Or Short Treks. I've even felt that myself. You can have Pike and the Enterprise getting in Section 31's way either on purpose or by accident. You can have them re-accruing and not being the focus or trying to copy TOS or doubling up on the same type of show when you have Discovery already. You get more Pike while still getting a show that is offering something new. The former is basically getting TOS or another Discovery but with just Pike in the chair. More of the same. I think people that wish for this might be under the mistaken idea that this is how they get their episodic Trek back. I remember how hard some people went for episode 2 of season 2 and how disappointed they were when the rest of the season wasn't structured like that. Even as we were getting toward the end of the season I remember seeing some people still desiring more episodes like that one.

I also feel that there is a section of people in the desire a Pike show group that simply want a show that doesn't star a woman and/or a person of color. Those people started to hyper focus on Pike the moment he showed up. Using him as their "positive" while they continued to bash the show the same way they did season 1. It's that reason I've been skeptical of a lot (not all) of the "We want a Pike show" calls. The way this section of the fandom have acted in recent years they've tainted a lot of things and caused me to look for the hidden motive. It sucks that there does happen to be one many of times.

I do get there is a strong desire for it or just more of Pike from some people. However I'm wary others have decided to co-opt that simply to try and push the idea that Discovery was a mistake and not what "fans" want.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I do have to ask what do some people really want because I don't think they themselves really know. Do they want a Pike show ala TOS or what they actually want is just really more of Pike? The two are different things I feel. You can easily get the second in a Section 31 show as suggest earlier. Or Short Treks. I've even felt that myself. You can have Pike and the Enterprise getting in Section 31's way either on purpose or by accident. You can have them re-accruing and not being the focus or trying to copy TOS or doubling up on the same type of show when you have Discovery already. You get more Pike while still getting a show that is offering something new. The former is basically getting TOS or another Discovery but with just Pike in the chair. More of the same. I think people that wish for this might be under the mistaken idea that this is how they get their episodic Trek back. I remember how hard some people went for episode 2 of season 2 and how disappointed they were when the rest of the season wasn't structured like that. Even as we were getting toward the end of the season I remember seeing some people still desiring more episodes like that one.

I also feel that there is a section of people in the desire a Pike show group that simply want a show that doesn't star a woman and/or a person of color. Those people started to hyper focus on Pike the moment he showed up. Using him as their "positive" while they continued to bash the show the same way they did season 1. It's that reason I've been skeptical of a lot (not all) of the "We want a Pike show" calls. The way this section of the fandom have acted in recent years they've tainted a lot of things and caused me to look for the hidden motive. It sucks that there does happen to be one many of times.

I do get there is a strong desire for it or just more of Pike from some people. However I'm wary others have decided to co-opt that simply to try and push the idea that Discovery was a mistake and not what "fans" want.

For what it's worth, Mount has stated that he would like an episodic Trek. I just think it would be nice to have a show with a ship that sought out new life and new civilizations again. There should be a throughline of Pike's experience with the time crystal and Vina.

"This is why I'm not a writer," he laughs, "Being a fan, there's so many things that pop up in my mind, and in general I'd love to do something episodic with Trek rather than serialized, because I think that Pike as a traditional character, it just feels like something episodic would be the way to go. Because that's Trek, you know, it's episodic. Not to say that Discovery... everything they've done I think is something I probably would've made the same choices in terms of going serialized and getting deeper into the characters. But I think I'd like to do something episodic, which actually I've never done before as a regular.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Based on that Kurtzmann quote saying the Section 31 show could be Georgiou's Unforgiven, I kind of wonder if maybe the show will be set some years away from the events of Discovery's second season. That said, I've never actually watched Unforgiven so there's probably some other nuance I'm missing.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
How have I never heard of cetacean ops?

Enterprise-D-Cetacean-Ops-concept-art-600x400.jpg

These whales and dolphins help the enterprise d navigate!

Edit: whoops, sorry, didn't realize this isn't the general ST thread. Should I move this post there?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
Currently watching Project Daedalus on the season 2 blu ray. Such a great episode forever tainted by someone (probably in this thread) asking "why didn't they shoot the mines?"