• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope these Short Treks come to UK Netflix eventually, bummed I haven't been able to watch any of this batch yet.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i freaking loved ephraim and dot it was so damn cute and the ending

giphy.gif

😻😻😻😻

i want more!

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Ephraim and Dot was cute and fun. The Girl Who Made the Stars felt...kinda pointless and only a tagently related to Star Trek.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished season 2. Really enjoyed it and I think I accidentally got my daughter into it whi was watching along with me

so they're never talking about discovery or the spore drive which explains away the lack of spore drives in modern trek I guess. But what do they do next? pike and Spock are great but the show is called discovery so are we expecting season 3 to be bouncing between future and present?

is this a universe without Kirk or will they address that?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished season 2. Really enjoyed it and I think I accidentally got my daughter into it whi was watching along with me

so they're never talking about discovery or the spore drive which explains away the lack of spore drives in modern trek I guess. But what do they do next? pike and Spock are great but the show is called discovery so are we expecting season 3 to be bouncing between future and present?

Kirk at this point is only a Lieutenant and a few years from taking over Enterprise. The show is seemingly jumping fully to the future so they can avoid any more TOS timeline issues. Moving to the far future lets them do anything they like now

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So an odd thought occurs to me, in that there is potentially some leniency in which they can continue playing to the TOS nostalgia while still being largely set in the future itself.

By which I mean, I'm half wondering if they'll bring back Pike in the 'present'. Insert some vague handwave of him 'surviving' as a sentient illusion or the like - such a good copy that he's legit still useful - and have him pop up when the crew's feeling down about their chances to save the galaxy from whatever's threatening it come season 4 or so.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017

Pike and Spock are largely out of the picture. If they show up again it will be in something else. Season 3 will be Discovery, its crew in the future. Like said Kirk is out there just not the focus and still has a few years before he takes command of the Enterprise. Until said other wise Discovery won't be dealing with the TOS part of the timeline anymore.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Looks like we got an early season 4 renewal for Discovery as well as Short Treks (called Green Harvest here I believe).

Green Harvest is the codename for Discovery. I've seen it on filming signs a few spots around Toronto.

(Blue Harvest was the codename for Return of the Jedi, used to keep snooping fans away from sets.)

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The 2 animated shorts was OK. Children of Mars was surprisingly poignant.

As a non-classic Trek watcher, if I want to get up to speed for Picard which movies and TNG episodes are essential to watch?

Oct 25, 2017
The 2 animated shorts was OK. Children of Mars was surprisingly poignant.

As a non-classic Trek watcher, if I want to get up to speed for Picard which movies and TNG episodes are essential to watch?

Here you go, includes all shows vital to Picard, Data, Borg, Romulan and the movies (TNG movies range from ok to terrible so might want to read up on those, but up to you)

Star Trek Picard Ultimate Guide

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone making an OT for Picard, if not are there any takers? I have never done one, but this show needs one.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
STD is an alright show but both seasons were flawed. 7/10 The shorts though are a mess but the one by Michael Chabon is obviously legit. Picard looks a bit weird so far. I´ll give it a fair chance. Btw, I like both SW and Trek Era. Woah, right? DS9 is the best show and film 6 the best film. I couldn't get through Enterprise at all and I only saw some parts of the rather lame Voyager. I saw the rest of Trek in full though. Even the solid and semi-canon 70s toon.

TNG´s first real movie was the only good one but some to many fans have problems with even that one:

Start your TNG TV sampling first. The first 2 seasons are meh, the rest are good to great. You honestly can skip them or look up the important eps for them. Even if you leave them for a bit later. Have some fun first. The show was somewhat episodic. Jumping eps is still kinda hard as these characters have to build on-screen and in your head. I honestly can´t help there. DS9 is a semi-sequel btw but not for Jean Luc.

Edit: THE most essential part of TNG:
www.youtube.com

The Picard Video

Please note, I am NOT the author of the music. That would be DarkMateria, and you can find his work (including the original .mp3) online at http://tborgax.h...

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here you go, includes all shows vital to Picard, Data, Borg, Romulan and the movies (TNG movies range from ok to terrible so might want to read up on those, but up to you)

Star Trek Picard Ultimate Guide
You'd think they would list the episodes in viewing order. Recommending family before BOBW...

I could think of a few more important ones not on this list, Descent 1+2, Unification 1+2 etc. Seven needs more than The Raven also.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Could we not use STD when referring to Discovery please.

Anyway. Enjoyed Children of Mars a good bit. I wish it was longer as I love seeing more about civilian life in Trek.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Could we not use STD when referring to Discovery please.
Yup, it's extra dumb because it doesn't even fit with the established set of acronyms: TOS, TNG, DS9, ENT. DSC or DISCO is the right way of shortening it.

But, they know exactly what they're doing when they use STD, and it's because they hate the show. It's pretty juvenile.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend and I just finished Discovery season two a couple of days ago.

I enjoyed it much more than the first season although the connections to TOS still feel a little forced. I think the best thing about the show though was that my girlfriend who "hates" (read: doesn't know anything about it) Star Trek was able to watch both seasons and find them enjoyable enough.

I'd love to watch Picard with her but there is so much baggage that goes along with it and a 0% chance that she'd watch anything with me to catch up.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just quote from one of the times someone whined previously.
On the subject of the acronym debate, I would say that The Original Series never really had an acronym to start with. It was just "Star Trek" to everyone. Star Trek: The Next Generation forced the issue of acronyms, because it's five words long and that's clearly too many, so people abbreviated it to "TNG". And then TNG also had the effect of people saying "Star Trek" and other people asking "which one?" and people responding "I mean Star Trek Star Trek. You know? The original series?" Which caused the "TOS" acronym to get retroactively applied to Star Trek.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was another overlong name, so people slipped right into calling it DS9.

Star Trek: Voyager sort of broke the trend, because the name wasn't overlong. People could just call it "Voyager" and it didn't need any acronym. Although Acronym Finder suggests that "STV" is a frequent acronym of Voyager, and "VOY" is a very frequent acronym of Voyager.
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Star-Trek:-Voyager-(STV).html
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Star-Trek:-Voyager-(VOY).html

Enterprise broke the trend again, because Enterprise wasn't originally called "Star Trek: Enterprise", it was called "Enterprise" for it's first two seasons, and then renamed "Star Trek: Enterprise" for seasons 3&4. Again, I would say that Enterprise hardly needed an abbreviation, and people were still calling it Enterprise even after it was renamed. But one might say that dropping the "Star Trek" and calling it "Enterprise" (as the show's launch) forced some nerds to say that "ENT" was it's abbreviation, which would've pushed "VOY" over "STV" as the appropriate abbreviation for Voyager (trying to create a sense of uniformity).

But Acronym Finder suggests that "ENT" and "STE" are both "very frequent" acronyms for Enterprise. Which is to say, "STE" is more common and popular than "STV".
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Enterprise-(Star-Trek)-(ENT).html
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Star-Trek:-Enterprise-(STE).html

If STV is a valid abbreviation for Voyager, and STE is a common abbreviation for Enterprise, then it's safe to say that "STD" is at least a "valid" abbreviation for Discovery. It's just one that some people find funny, while other people hate it.

Weird way to talk about The Final Frontier.

And this is why STV is less common, and VOY or Voyager get used. STD doesn't have this problem.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just quote from one of the times someone whined previously.

And this is why STV is less common, and VOY or Voyager get used. STD doesn't have this problem.

If one acronym annoys people, and another doesn't... And they're functionally the same, what does it say about you that you're unwilling to use the term that offends less people?

E: and the fact that DIS or DSC is the official naming convention by the company.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If one acronym annoys people, and another doesn't... And they're functionally the same, what does it say about you that you're unwilling to use the term that offends less people?

E: and the fact that DIS or DSC is the official naming convention by the company.
I don't have to cater to people offended over stupid things. "Oh no, a TV show I watch has the same acronym as sex diseases".

Like, where is the bit that should offend anyone?

It's the same immature attitude you see from someone when Xbone is used, though I think MS zealots have learned to let that go and understand its an apt short term that seperates confusion with XB1/XBO meaning Xbox original.

Complaining over the usage of STD is basically complaining someone said something bad about something you like, it's immature, and worse is that many people who use STD aren't even doing it to say something bad and instead because it's a sensible use, so it's complaining about something not even there.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
How many pages can we get of people arguing over acronyms?

Ent
TOS
TNG
DS9
Voy
DSC/Dis

How I've seen Treks referred to as most. The Kelvin films are all over the place. Kel, Klv, Kvn, NuTrek, JJtrek, etc.