• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought people would have just called it Next Gen. At least until the txt speech generation of the 2000s for whom that would be too many letters to type.
They mostly did verbally, it wasn't really until Internet forums in late 90s that acronyms started. Probably some books or written interviews or whatever that abbreviated before that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
We're calling it Disco because we're not calling the new one PIC or PCD.

Disco and Picard. It's settled.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
This would be my guess as well. A CW-esque Starfleet Academy show aimed at bringing in younger viewers could be a good idea for the longterm success of the brand.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would be my guess as well. A CW-esque Starfleet Academy show aimed at bringing in younger viewers
Radio-ACTIVE, radio-ACT...

a7843b53-055a-455a-a61f-b6e88232d751.png

...Oh

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If Starlfeet Academy is in development again, I wonder if it will have different writers attached since Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage are doing Nacny Drew and the new Gossip Girl

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Two more shows, in addition to Section 31.

Yeah one of them is likely the Academy show.

I still don't think they'll do a solo Pike show. If Pike is used again I see him and the Enterprise involved in another show where you don't end up with a newer version of TOS. Him as the head of the Academy show as teacher and mentor could be interesting especially if it marches toward his eventual fate. How he deals with that and the emotion exploration of one heading toward their "end" would be interesting to see. It makes such a show more then just a teen filled drama and gives it extra weight. That's just his side of it. The younger characters could be going through different things just as compelling.

We've seen Captain Pike several times from TOS, Discovery, and the Kelvin films. Admiral Pike is something I'd like to see with Captain Una showing up. Pushing her character's arc further too.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Pike for TOS era. Picard for, um, Picard era. Discovery for far future. Seems like a good way to go about it.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah one of them is likely the Academy show.

I still don't think they'll do a solo Pike show. If Pike is used again I see him and the Enterprise involved in another show where you don't end up with a newer version of TOS. Him as the head of the Academy show as teacher and mentor could be interesting especially if it marches toward his eventual fate. How he deals with that and the emotion exploration of one heading toward their "end" would be interesting to see. It makes such a show more then just a teen filled drama and gives it extra weight. That's just his side of it. The younger characters could be going through different things just as compelling.

We've seen Captain Pike several times from TOS, Discovery, and the Kelvin films. Admiral Pike is something I'd like to see with Captain Una showing up. Pushing her character's arc further too.
Rod Roddenberry said the plan was to make a Pike show eventually.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
So Children of Mars...

Please tell we're not failing back at that tired cliche of AI run amock again

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So Children of Mars...

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised by it. What I might expect/hope for some nuance in is the why though. As the previews have shown, the Federation seems to have gone ahead with making Soong-type androids, and as feared all the way back in The Measure of a Man, it's as servants, and thus slave labour. So the question then becomes whether or not the incident in
Children of Mars is in response to that status - ie, the 'synths' rebelling against their treatment - or is the cause of that status - 'synths' launch a sudden and unexpected attack, the Federation responds by incarcerating them all, regardless of association. In the latter event, you can then have a big old mystery box - which admittedly makes it seem the likelier course for the writers given ~drama~ - on why they started acting up like that. Lore, Borg, or whatever else.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised by it. What I might expect/hope for some nuance in is the why though. As the previews have shown, the Federation seems to have gone ahead with making Soong-type androids, and as feared all the way back in The Measure of a Man, it's as servants, and thus slave labour. So the question then becomes whether or not the incident in
Children of Mars is in response to that status - ie, the 'synths' rebelling against their treatment - or is the cause of that status - 'synths' launch a sudden and unexpected attack, the Federation responds by incarcerating them all, regardless of association. In the latter event, you can then have a big old mystery box - which admittedly makes it seem the likelier course for the writers given ~drama~ - on why they started acting up like that. Lore, Borg, or whatever else.
I think it will be the former
Soong Type androids are used for slave labor and then an encounter with some Borg remnants who are being tortured and experimented on by Romulans results in the two groups joining together to fight their oppressors. This could also feed back into the countdown comic where Picard wanted to save a race that served as slaves for the Romulans (and presumably he failed), giving him even more drive to want to prevent the same from happening to the androids and Borg. It would also make sense that the Mars attack is what lead Picard to leave Starfleet if the whole "synth uprising" was their fault to begin with. I'm also guessing Dahj is a perfect mix of technology and organics.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Really getting the feeling that the mystery girl is a remnant of lal. I know she "died" but as we know data stored her memories, who in turn transferred his memories to B4...

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I feel like the Trek TV universe is going to be over-exposed in a couple of years and they will need to scale back. All I really want at this point is the Pike show. I still feel Starfleet and Section 31 are largely unnecessary.

Pike - Past
Picard - Present
Discovery - Future

I just need that.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the Trek TV universe is going to be over-exposed in a couple of years and they will need to scale back. All I really want at this point is the Pike show. I still feel Starfleet and Section 31 are largely unnecessary.

Pike - Past
Picard - Present
Discovery - Future

I just need that.
Depends how long these shows go on for. It's perfectly possible discovery comes naturally to a conclusion soon and a new show will have to take its spot.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017

Pike - Past
Picard - Present
Discovery - Future

I just need that.
As long as each show has it's own unique feeling I think we'll be okay. The problem is if you have to many shows that look and feel the same. That was the issue in the 90s and the 00s. Kurtzman is aware of the this and has even said he wants each show to be its own thing compared to the others. The short seasons also helps a show not overstay it's welcome too I think. Rewatching various seasons can be slog at times because each season is so long. Longer seasons gives way to more chances of really bad or just outright boring episodes that are clearly made to fill out the episode count.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends how long these shows go on for. It's perfectly possible discovery comes naturally to a conclusion soon and a new show will have to take its spot.
As long as they making a push with CBS AA these shows will keep going. It's why the STD cancelling BS some people spout is stupid. No matter how bad it is it isn't gonna get cancelled when it's propping up an entire platform.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they making a push with CBS AA these shows will keep going. It's why the STD cancelling BS some people spout is stupid. No matter how bad it is it isn't gonna get cancelled when it's propping up an entire platform.
Oh yeah. I don't see a reality where Discovery gets cancelled while CBSAA exists, and even if that folds I doubt CBSViacom would give up on Trek given the presumably lucrative deals they have done with Amazon and Netflix internationally . When Discovery eventually ends I would suspect CBS has another Trek show to fill its gap, which is presumably one of these projects.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So Children of Mars...

I assume the reference to "Rogue Synths" we see in the short has some relation to

the Data-looking androids we've seen in the Picard trailers and the reason we see Picard looking at disassembled Lore or B4 in a drawer.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Data returning kind of bothers me. I know his memories were copied to B4, but B4 was his own person, the idea he turns into Data is IMO stupid.

Oct 31, 2017

Pike - Past
Picard - Present
Discovery - Future

I just need that.

The way people clamor for a "Pike show" is off-putting especially since so many claim to not like Burnham being so central to Disco but clearly wouldn't mind that for another (white guy) character. I'm not saying that's you, but it's something I've noticed.

Honestly, a Section 31 show would be way more refreshing than another Enterprise show.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down with Pike in any show, make him the foil in the Section 31 show, he keeps reeling them in from going too far and redeems space hitler.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't have to cater to people offended over stupid things. "Oh no, a TV show I watch has the same acronym as sex diseases".

Like, where is the bit that should offend anyone?

It's the same immature attitude you see from someone when Xbone is used, though I think MS zealots have learned to let that go and understand its an apt short term that seperates confusion with XB1/XBO meaning Xbox original.

Complaining over the usage of STD is basically complaining someone said something bad about something you like, it's immature, and worse is that many people who use STD aren't even doing it to say something bad and instead because it's a sensible use, so it's complaining about something not even there.
No one's offended by it. It just makes you look like you're an edgy 14 year old.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't been inside this thread for a while and it's funny that the first thing I see is StallionDan still trying to argue why STD should be used as an acronym for Discovery.

No other Trek series is referred to by the same rules, as they all omit the "ST". It's either VOY/Voyager, DS9, or ENT/Enterprise for series names that are about the main starships or vessels, or just the Original Series/TOS and TNG/Next Generation/Next Gen.

Disco/DIS/Discovery follows that same logic

STP might make sense for Picard since it's the first show with a title that's the same as a very know name or noun in the franchise, but still, most people will use Picard because it's going to be easy to distinguish between the show and the character through context.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been inside this thread for a while and it's funny that the first thing I see is StallionDan still trying to argue why STD should be used as an acronym for Discovery.

No other Trek series is referred to by the same rules, as they all omit the "ST". It's either VOY/Voyager, DS9, or ENT/Enterprise for series names that are about the main starships or vessels, or just the Original Series/TOS and TNG/Next Generation/Next Gen.

Disco/DIS/Discovery follows that same logic

STP might make sense for Picard since it's the first show with a title that's the same as a very know name or noun in the franchise, but still, most people will use Picard because it's going to be easy to distinguish between the show and the character through context.
If you really want to argue, VOY isn't the official abbreviation for Voyager like multiple people keep posting, VGR is. The people who discussed the show decided otherwise because official or not, Paramount/CBS don't get to decide how people who want to discuss their show do so. STI never had this problem with insecure fans and it's the exact same issue.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
If you really want to argue, VOY isn't the official abbreviation for Voyager like multiple people keep posting, VGR is. The people who discussed the show decided otherwise because official or not, Paramount/CBS don't get to decide how people who want to discuss their show do so. STI never had this problem with insecure fans and it's the exact same issue.

EDIT: Don't agree but this is a silly argument. Deleted my original response.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I swear Star Trek threads when the shows are off the air are either an argument about abbreviations or an argument about Tuvix.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Untitled.jpg