• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Hey ERA, lately I've had a nightly ritual where I'll make myself a drink and watch a couple episodes of Star Trek TOS. I'm almost done with Season 2, really enjoying myself. What would y'all recommend for the feeling of Star Trek in a game? Star Control 2 really gave me that vibe. What are some others? Official games, mods, whatever you can think of. Away missions, ship combat, funky hand to hand combat. Someone should just make Trek Effect honestly.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Obvious example but Star Trek Bridge Crew is amazing... doesn't require VR anymore and is fully crossplay between Steam/Oculus/uPlay/PS4. It's a wonderful Trek game.

I believe there's a pretty popular Star Trek mod for Stellaris too if you're on PC? No mod support on the console versions (yet, they've said it's coming to Xbox at least). But I'd say Stellaris anyway... it's really Trek. Exploring new galaxies, meeting new species and playing with diplomatic relationships. It's on Game Pass now if you've got Xbox and it's in the sale on PS4 right now too.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Stellaris has an absurdly huge Star Trek mod (ST New Horizons) that converts it into a great 4X Star Trek game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Stellaris. Aside from the mod, the vanilla game gives off heavy Star Trek vibes--if you can think of a Star Trek faction, you can make it in Stellaris.

Also, if you're looking for more of a street-level feel, Star Traders: Frontiers. You command a starship!

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
You should play the Star Trek adventures - 25th anniversary and Judgement Rites - but beware the ship combat is pretty bad.

Also the Master of Orion 2 maybe

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As above, stellar is is as close as you are going to get. I actually think Star Trek I line is fun if you like the space battle part of trek, but a lot of the other stuff is poor. For me, I would love a non comparative RPG in space with a crew (kind of like mass effect with less shooting).

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean if you want something for that your best bet is to check out the (good) Star Trek games first and foremost.

I assume since you are watching TNG that you'd like that series the most, so Star Trek TNG: Final Unity would be one of the best choices, though it's an older game (1995) and you have to set it up right to get it working on modern systems (google can help with that).

For something geared around the original series there's Star Trek 25th anv,

It's sequel, Star Trek: Judgement Rites,

For something more up to date, the best thing would be Star Trek: Bridge Crew, with VR (if you have that) it's pretty much what you'd want from a game that makes you feel like you're "there."

Also one last one I'd highly recommend is actually a mod for Stellaris called Star Trek New Horizon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cameron122

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I mean if you want something for that your best bet is to check out the (good) Star Trek games first and foremost.

I assume since you are watching TNG that you'd like that series the most, so Star Trek TNG: Final Unity would be one of the best choices, though it's an older game (1995) and you have to set it up right to get it working on modern systems (google can help with that).

For something geared around the original series there's Star Trek 25th anv,

It's sequel, Star Trek: Judgement Rites,

For something more up to date, the best thing would be Star Trek: Bridge Crew, with VR (if you have that) it's pretty much what you'd want from a game that makes you feel like you're "there."

Also one last one I'd highly recommend is actually a mod for Stellaris called Star Trek New Horizon.

Watching TOS rn but once I get to TNG I'll keep it in mind. Can I play the VR game singleplayer or with random folk?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Watching TOS rn but once I get to TNG I'll keep it in mind. Can I play the VR game singleplayer or with random folk?

lol I originally through you said you were watching TNG, that's why I put it first.

You can play Star Trek Bridge Crew by yourself but from what I've read it changes things and requires more menu interaction and such vs the multiplayer side.

Multiplayer is the best way to play it (and yes you play online with random people if you want).

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I will second Stellaris and Star Trek Online votes.

Also, mystery, the sense of discovery and finding out about the unknown in The Outer Wilds has a certain Star Trek flair.

Oneiroi17

Jan 11, 2018
UK
Lots of good stuff already been said, here's some that haven't been mentioned yet. Star Command isn't very deep (there's not much to do), but definitely has a Trek feel to it. Starflight is proper old-school, but assuming you don't mind lots of pixelated images and white writing on black backgrounds might be worth a look. The remastered Master of Orion is solid but not amazing, has some good mods though. And there is a Star Trek mod for Sins of a Solar Empire that apparently is pretty good.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Star Trek Armada 1 and 2 are cool RTS games.

Star Trek Elite Force 2 is a nice fps. Cool feeling weapons, story driven. Cool game.

Deep Space Nine The Fallen is an extremely cool 3rd person action game that runs on unreal 1. Good looking, very meaty game. It has three full campaigns for all of its three characters. Its actually amazing. Its like a 18-20 hour action game in total. A woman, a black male captain and a klingon captain. Each with its own levels, objective and storyline.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
The snes star trek next gen game was(is) REALLY good. I don't care what the reviewers say.
I loved every little bit of it.

gCbaM4x.gif

8mwpimo.png

AIx3vKP.jpg

rACiN5p.png

WV6lsjm.gif

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're looking for a more abstract experience, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation is an excellent round-based 4X game.

In terms of exploring space, and just the vastness of it, Freelancer is an absolutely gorgeous game - it's the last game made by Chris Roberts before he started working on Star Citizen. It's a bit more space dandy in terms of its story, and you don't have a crew, but once you get to the point where you can freely explore the systems and stuff, it's really fun. The graphics still hold up to this day, imo, and there's some pretty good mods for it that expand the world even further.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I will agree with Mass Effect 1 specifically. The size of the Citadel, the scope of the universe with all the different species is worked out in great detail, and interstellar relations are a big part of the game. Also, the new Starfield has apparently been inspired from Deep Space Nine.