• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TNG S1 and S2 must watch episodes

All the episodes with Q
The Sherlock Holmes holodeck one
That one with the out of nowhere extremely gory phaser kill
The Royal
The one with the black goo

I think I am just listing episodes I know for sure are early TNG and don't completely hate.

There is some so bad you should maybe watch to see the train wreck episodes too.

The one with the space Africans
The one with the ye old space Irish.
The one with the sex planet where Wesley nearly gets killed for falling on flowers.
The one where data has sex

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
TNG S1 and S2 must watch episodes

All the episodes with Q
The Sherlock Holmes holodeck one
That one with the out of nowhere extremely gory phaser kill
The Royal
The one with the black goo

I think I am just listing episodes I know for sure are early TNG and don't completely hate.

There is some so bad you should maybe watch to see the train wreck episodes too.

The one with the space Africans
The one with the ye old space Irish.
The one with the sex planet where Wesley nearly gets killed for falling on flowers.
The one where data has sex

What kind of monster reccomends watching The Royal?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From now on, I'm calling her the Banisher of Boo Boo's.
For pete's sake, man, do yourself a favor. Do NOT watch Code of Honor or Angel One.

Up the Long Ladder is permissible only if you really like hot female redheads.

But my small group really does like Arsenal of Freedom. It's fun and Geordi looks cool, and it's the only time he does, because then the writers give him a handicap of -50 charisma around the opposite sex.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished Voyager last week and i'm on season 5 of DS9.

DS9 is much better but the Voager hate is WAY overstated

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Its such an amazing premise.

DS9 and Voyager felt like people testing if the Star Trek vision and philosophy really works in times of war and desperation.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
StarTrek-Data-TheRoyale-TNG-dice-1338763915I.gif

I like the Royale fun episode

season 2 of TNG is a bit underrated its a massive improvement over the first season

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
The best (worst) thing about Season 2 of TNG is the finale is a clipshow lol

*Writer's strike I think?

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
StarTrek-Data-TheRoyale-TNG-dice-1338763915I.gif

I like the Royale fun episode

season 2 of TNG is a bit underrated its a massive improvement over the first season

The Royal is just painfully dull. It's an episode about nothing in which the problem is solved in the most boring manner possible. It's like everyone is just going through the motions in that episode.

It's horrible.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realise was a general Trek thread.

Anyway, on Netflix UK (and maybe elsewhere) there is a documentary by Shatner on the creation of TNG.

Is called 'Chaos on the Bridge'.

Oct 25, 2017
So my friend is getting into Sci-fi and I've been having her watch select Star Trek Eps, mostly in themes she's interested in but since she works from home she's been watching random episodes of Voyager and she's really enjoying it. She really likes Janeway and right now she's currently watching Endgame and she commented that she wanted to see them get home, she's halfway to being a star trek fan lol Voyager really does get shit on more than it deserves though,

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The best (worst) thing about Season 2 of TNG is the finale is a clipshow lol

*Writer's strike I think?
Budget actually. They needed to make a cheaper episode. This was also back when everyone did clip shows... hell, Stargate had a damn clip show every season.
The Royal is just painfully dull. It's an episode about nothing in which the problem is solved in the most boring manner possible. It's like everyone is just going through the motions in that episode.

It's horrible.
IIRC the solution was to literally just follow the plot of a book. lol
So my friend is getting into Sci-fi and I've been having her watch select Star Trek Eps, mostly in themes she's interested in but since she works from home she's been watching random episodes of Voyager and she's really enjoying it. She really likes Janeway and right now she's currently watching Endgame and she commented that she wanted to see them get home, she's halfway to being a star trek fan lol Voyager really does get shit on more than it deserves though,
People hate Voyager because it never uses its premise. There are some decent TNG episodes in there, mostly involving the Doctor, but otherwise you have stuff like the Hirogen, the Kazon, and some other new races that go nowhere, and of course you have Q wanting to fuck Janeway and pretty much all the Borg stuff was bad. Endgame's story is pretty much the peak of the "Janeway is a terrible captain" meme too. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Budget actually. They needed to make a cheaper episode. This was also back when everyone did clip shows... hell, Stargate had a damn clip show every season.

IIRC the solution was to literally just follow the plot of a book. lol

People hate Voyager because it never uses its premise. There are some decent TNG episodes in there, mostly involving the Doctor, but otherwise you have stuff like the Hirogen, the Kazon, and some other new races that go nowhere, and of course you have Q wanting to fuck Janeway and pretty much all the Borg stuff was bad. Endgame's story is pretty much the peak of the "Janeway is a terrible captain" meme too. lol

Ugh I forgot about that Q stuff..what a way to ruin a good character.
yes I had to warn her about that lol Oh yeah and she doesn't like neelix lol some things are universal I guess.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the Q stuff on Voyager. Quinn and Q and the Grey are great.
Q are omnipotent beings but they have to present themselves as a heterosexual white couple in order for puny human beings to understand that they are married and need to mate. It's funny though, Sisko didn't take Q's shit and I guess the writers moved on quickly after that episode. Meanwhile the Voyager writers tried to make Q/Janeway into a weird romcom. Also don't forget Q's son. :p
I think the Quinn thing was interesting in a philosophical sense. Sort of a complement to the TNG episode where the human girl discovers she's a Q (who is apparently infatuated with Riker, eww lol). But since it's Voyager, they had to kill him off because having a Q aboard the ship would have broken the premise.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Q are omnipotent beings but they have to present themselves as a heterosexual white couple in order for puny human beings to understand that they are married and need to mate. It's funny though, Sisko didn't take Q's shit and I guess the writers moved on quickly after that episode. Meanwhile the Voyager writers tried to make Q/Janeway into a weird romcom. Also don't forget Q's son. :p
I think the Quinn thing was interesting in a philosophical sense. Sort of a complement to the TNG episode where the human girl discovers she's a Q (who is apparently infatuated with Riker, eww lol). But since it's Voyager, they had to kill him off because having a Q aboard the ship would have broken the premise.

Agreed. DS9 handled Q properly, get over him.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This like criticising every appearance of Q for always being a human white guy.

There was no romcom, Janeway wasn't having Q's bullshit like Picard wouldn't.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I the first Q episode in Voyager with the Q that wants to die was great.

The rest were mostly bad like the one with Q's son

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the one with Quinn though I think the ending could have been better. But having Q and the continuum reproduce and have relationships was just stupid.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a little more than halfway through S1 of TNG. And I'm really enjoying it. Previous to this, the only Trek related thing I'd seen was S1 of TOS. I enjoyed that, but I think it was just way too dated for me.

From what I've heard about S1 of TNG, if I'm liking these episodes, I should definitely like what's to come, huh?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This like criticising every appearance of Q for always being a human white guy.

There was no romcom, Janeway wasn't having Q's bullshit like Picard wouldn't.
I mean, people slashed Q and Picard, but there's no reason they couldn't have done that on the show itself. Instead, this genderless god creature spends his time flirting with Janeway because its convenient for the audience.

Although I bet if Q was written now, I have to imagine you'd write him like Lucifer and just make him bisexual.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little more than halfway through S1 of TNG. And I'm really enjoying it. Previous to this, the only Trek related thing I'd seen was S1 of TOS. I enjoyed that, but I think it was just way too dated for me.

From what I've heard about S1 of TNG, if I'm liking these episodes, I should definitely like what's to come, huh?
Yes, it gets much better in S2. lol

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
oh god, I just remembered that Voyager cast Andy Dick as EMH mk 2

I generally like Voyager though

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget they turned Q into a deadbeat dad while hitting on Janeway.

Voyager sucks for so many reasons.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both great episodes. The Rock one also another appearance each for both Jeffrey Combs and J.G. Hertzler.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With this amount of twisting every Trek is the worst one ever.
I didn't mean it in the sense that "this thing sucks therefore the whole thing sucks."

Q is just emblematic of one of Voyager's larger problems, which is the terrible characterization across the board except for 7 of 9 and the Doctor. Q, Tuvok, Harry Kim, Chakotay, Kes, Tom, Janeway... and of course... Neelix. I should have been more clear, but on the other hand everyone complains about this problem.

And Voyager has several macro problems like this. It's just not a well-made show.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Finished S1 of TNG.

I was expecting Yar to die sometime because I hadn't seen her in later episodes I'd see on TV, but man was her death dumb lol. Apparently the actress wanted out of the show because she wasn't getting much screen time and felt like a side character (I saw that she was originally cast as Troi). But it's interesting she stayed involved with the franchise.

The last two episodes ("Conspiracy" and "The Neutral Zone") were two of my favorites. I was not expecting that level of gore in the former.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
To those recommending skipping episodes of TNG... i would personally advise against it since even the campy, "bad" episodes have their charm and somehow DO add to the
overall character development of the protagonists over the course of the whole show. It just wouldn't feel quite the same if you skip episodes imo but then i have always been
a sucker for punishment like that ;)

Same with Babylon-5 btw. Amazing show, pretty underrated as well compared to Trek. It had an AWFUL first season that only slowly got better with S2, but then 3 and 4 make up for it
by absolutely MATCHING the very best that TNG had to offer in terms of pure Space Opera goodness. You do need to torture yourself though by enduring the first 2 seasons but it is oh so worth it in the end! Patience is key with these shows, you are in it for the long haul here, this isn't some ADD action/adrenaline fest, but thinking man's Sci-Fi (Space Opera but you get the idea)

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Most of Voyager is OK just TNG lite really

it just really squanders its great premise
it's the first show I've ever seen that abandons its premise by the end of the pilot episode

the second the maquis are all chilling in starfleet uniforms, you know "oh there's nothing unique here, it's just another star trek show"

which i guess is fine. i like the average star trek episode. but they had the best premise out of all the star trek shows going in, and they did basically nothing with it

a starfleet crew far away from reinforcements has to join forces with the maquis, who let's remember are supposed to hate starfleet and the federation, in order to make it home

and yet there was more conflict between crew members on enterprise and the original series, than this show which is supposed to be about two crews who hate each other having to come together to survive

i get mad every time I think about it

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
it's the first show I've ever seen that abandons its premise by the end of the pilot episode

the second the maquis are all chilling in starfleet uniforms, you know "oh there's nothing unique here, it's just another star trek show"

which i guess is fine. i like the average star trek episode. but they had the best premise out of all the star trek shows going in, and they did basically nothing with it

a starfleet crew far away from reinforcements has to join forces with the maquis, who let's remember are supposed to hate starfleet and the federation, in order to make it home

and yet there was more conflict between crew members on enterprise and the original series, than this show which is supposed to be about two crews who hate each other having to come together to survive

i get mad every time I think about it

As sort of brought up before, regarding the bolded, one could make an interesting point on how in terms of actual values, the crew and the maquis probably weren't too dissimilar - but the maquis just didn't want to give up their homes where the Federation found it politically expedient. In a franchise like Star Trek, supposedly about people finding common ground and becoming greater for it, that feels like just such a missed opportunity to explore.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 of Enterprise executes Voyager's premise better than Voyager