• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wish Hoshi had gotten more of a "fuck you" moment at the end of season 3 of Enterprise. I know she had a hand in taking out the weapon but after what she was put through at the end of the season she deserved a witty 80s comeback towards the Reptilians.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm enjoying Voyager, really happy to have a Native American be first officer, it's not often that we get major representation.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So far I'm enjoying Voyager, really happy to have a Native American be first officer, it's not often that we get major representation.
Sadly Robert Beltran is criminally underused through the show, though that definitely improves in Season 7.
He does have a few standout moments at least, and he's the main focus of one of my favourite Voyager episodes, Shattered.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly Robert Beltran is criminally underused through the show, though that definitely improves in Season 7.
He does have a few standout moments at least, and he's the main focus of one of my favourite Voyager episodes, Shattered.
I'll take what I can get, we rarely get any form of representation at all.

Oct 25, 2017
https://jamestkirkbourbon.com/reserve/

JTKR-500x793pxstopper-450x714.png

Comes with a cool collectible stopper for
$299
lol

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/06/ex...cers-reveal-picard-series-production-details/

So the plan currently is for the Picard series to run multiple seasons. The writers room has been working so far for 4 weeks.

The goal indeed to have Star Trek all year round but shows not to overlap.

For those not paying attention to the Discovery threads season 2 starts on Jan 17, 2019. Here is the latest trailer that was released today.

This is the one on the CBS All Access channel.

This one should be viewable by everyone outside of the US if the other is blocked.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Discovery still hasn't been enough to get me to sign up, though maybe after season two I'll take a week off, get the free trial, watch it, and unsub.

The Picard show though...I don't know. Maybe I'd pay monthly for that. I'm a bit of a sucker.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Discovery still hasn't been enough to get me to sign up, though maybe after season two I'll take a week off, get the free trial, watch it, and unsub.

The Picard show though...I don't know. Maybe I'd pay monthly for that. I'm a bit of a sucker.
They're going to get all Trek fans one way or another.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I would indeed pay up front for a remaster of DS9 at this point. I still can't believe CBS hasn't started work on it. It's actually a pretty important future investment for them to do it. I know the special effects are going have to be redone but it's going to be worth it in the long run.

Oct 25, 2017
I would indeed pay up front for a remaster of DS9 at this point. I still can't believe CBS hasn't started work on it. It's actually a pretty important future investment for them to do it. I know the special effects are going have to be redone but it's going to be worth it in the long run.

Is it, though? They've probably already gotten the lion's share of money that's out there to be made from physical releases, and streaming HD is nice but I don't think it's a deal breaker. If there's not an executive with heft who really loves DS9 or VOY and can sway people to look past the short-term economics, I don't see its chances. You're looking at possibly $12-17m to do either series with the care and consideration they gave TNG.

I *do* think crowdfunding would at least solve one of the problems, which is that the Blu-Ray sales probably suffered in part because they were expensive standalone seasons that everyone knew were going to end up in a cheaper box set. Basically the comic book problem but with TV home media. Doing a "Seasons 1-3/Seasons 4-7" kind of deal with crowdfunding would allow more reasonable attainable goals as well as frontloading a lot more money, especially if they have the appeal of releasing batches of episodes as they go to entice more people to buy in. But you're still basically going to need a 100,000 people willing to pony up around $80+ to make it happen.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/06/ex...cers-reveal-picard-series-production-details/

So the plan currently is for the Picard series to run multiple seasons. The writers room has been working so far for 4 weeks.

The goal indeed to have Star Trek all year round but shows not to overlap.

For those not paying attention to the Discovery threads season 2 starts on Jan 17, 2019. Here is the latest trailer that was released today.

This is the one on the CBS All Access channel.

This one should be viewable by everyone outside of the US if the other is blocked.

This is both exciting and a bit worrying, I hope this doesn't lead to burn out.
I'm happy the redesigned the Klingons again. Did they ever explain why the Klingons in Discovery don't just look like humans? I haven't watched Discovery yet.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
This is both exciting and a bit worrying, I hope this doesn't lead to burn out.
I'm happy the redesigned the Klingons again. Did they ever explain why the Klingons in Discovery don't just look like humans? I haven't watched Discovery yet.
Difference in make up techniques and budget largely. So they can do things differently now. That was what Kurtzman said yesterday when asked why they look different and if we'll see the TOS Klingons. We won't be seeing them he said. That they could be out there but they're not a focus of what they want to do with Discovery.

It feels like they're just going to ignore what Enterprise did and focus on out of universe explanations. I think that's simpler instead of trying to explain augments.

Oct 25, 2017
Difference in make up techniques and budget largely. So they can do things differently now. That was what Kurtzman said yesterday when asked why they look different and if we'll see the TOS Klingons. We won't be seeing them he said. That they could be out there but they're not a focus of what they want to do with Discovery.

It feels like they're just going to ignore what Enterprise did and focus on out of universe explanations. I think that's simpler instead of trying to explain augments.

To this day I think the augment story is one of the pinnacles of graceful retcons in fiction. I get the idea that they didn't need to explain it in universe, but it nicely papered over the holes while (crucially) being a really enjoyable arc of Star Trek in its own right.

Also: I really don't like the Enterprise uniforms. Beating a dead horse at this point, but they could easily have made uniforms that felt very much like The Cage ones but higher budget.

(Cowl necks might have had to go, but I always liked this for being different.)

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
It really feels at times like Kurtzman either resents having to do a prequel or just has a personal dislike of Enterprise and thinks he could've done better.

I'll honestly be relieved if he ever gets removed from the show, the man is a menace to canon.
Even if he doesn't like stuff from the other shows, he has to keeping in mind, especially when making a prequel series like this.

They don't need to 'explain' Augments, Enterprise and DS9 already did that very nicely and tied off every possible loose end with a nice little bow.
Enterprise even gave them an easy out to use TNG Klingons instead of TOS Klingons by having a nice little line about how cranial ridge reconstructive surgery would be a very popular field.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I think the VFX still hold up, I must of watched this at least 20 times last night:

I wouldn't mind seeing it cleaned up a bit, by my big worry is that they're going to "JJ-ify" the look. I was watching some Discovery space battles to contrast, they're incredibly busy, too much visual noise. With the above, you can at least make out what's happening.

That shot at about :38 seconds in gives me chills.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the VFX still hold up, I must of watched this at least 20 times last night:

I wouldn't mind seeing it cleaned up a bit, by my big worry is that they're going to "JJ-ify" the look. I was watching some Discovery space battles to contrast, they're incredibly busy, too much visual noise. With the above, you can at least make out what's happening.

Honestly Discovery's space combat is way worse than anything in reboot Trek, where they might have too much crap going on but they're still pretty legible. Discovery's issue was everything is so damn dark and their Klingon ship designs are so samey it was hard to parse what was actually happening.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To this day I think the augment story is one of the pinnacles of graceful retcons in fiction. I get the idea that they didn't need to explain it in universe, but it nicely papered over the holes while (crucially) being a really enjoyable arc of Star Trek in its own right.

Also: I really don't like the Enterprise uniforms. Beating a dead horse at this point, but they could easily have made uniforms that felt very much like The Cage ones but higher budget.

(Cowl necks might have had to go, but I always liked this for being different.)
The ENT uniforms were a bridge from the NASA of today with Starfleet accouterments

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a couple episodes into season 2 of Voyager now (I didn't even realize I finished season 1 until like 3 episodes into season 2), still enjoying it, but I'm hoping some big threat comes in soon, the Kazon just ain't doin it for me.

Robert Beltran is quite the guy in real life compared to Chakotay

lol

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels at times like Kurtzman either resents having to do a prequel or just has a personal dislike of Enterprise and thinks he could've done better.

I'll honestly be relieved if he ever gets removed from the show, the man is a menace to canon.
Even if he doesn't like stuff from the other shows, he has to keeping in mind, especially when making a prequel series like this.
Nah, he can ignore the shit out of it like every other Star Trek did. Roddenberry himself didn't care, they had way more money for the movie so gave the klningons a completely new look with no explanation whatsoever and that look changed drastically over the movies and into TNG. Voyager showed the characters in 1990's california with no eugenic wars happening. First Contact making Cochrane a human from Montana when he was clearly said to be from Alpha Centauri in TOS, the klingons and romulans switching personalities over time (in TOS the romulans were the honorable warriors while the klingons couldn't give two shits about it), DS9 put the eugenic wars in the 22nd century and changed the entire look of the Trill because the TNG look made Terry Farrel unattractive, Enterprise used technology way too advanced for the time period and just changed the names slightly (like photonic torpedoes), created a legend out of thin air (Archer, founder of the federation).

They don't need to 'explain' Augments, Enterprise and DS9 already did that very nicely and tied off every possible loose end with a nice little bow.
Enterprise even gave them an easy out to use TNG Klingons instead of TOS Klingons by having a nice little line about how cranial ridge reconstructive surgery would be a very popular field.
But why should they have used TNG klingons? TNG didn't use movie klingons after all, they put their own spin on the design. That's the thing about TV, they can use what was established before but they don't have to. It is perfectly fine to toss things established in a tv series decades before.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
All I'll say is that whatever their reasons for changing the Klingons, to me they were the worst part of Discovery season 1 with some terrible designs for characters, ships etc.

Oct 25, 2017
The ENT uniforms were a bridge from the NASA of today with Starfleet accouterments

Yeah I think the Enterprise uniforms were more successful than the set design in working as a bridge and helped make it feel more distant from the TOS era even though the producers walked back a lot of stuff that ended making them feel more samey. I see the argument that the DSC uniforms work as a bridge between those and TOS but I don't think it really works, leaving aside we already know what the uniforms looked liked. The fact it's nearly impossible to tell division colors in a lot of lighting still boggles me.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

It still bugs me that the Enterprise-E wasn't there for that battle.

Yeah, Picard and the Enterprise showing up for a cameo would have probably upstaged DS9 a little but it makes no sense that the most advanced ship in the fleet wasn't there

Oct 25, 2017
It still bugs me that the Enterprise-E wasn't there for that battle.

Yeah, Picard and the Enterprise showing up for a cameo would have probably upstaged DS9 a little but it makes no sense that the most advanced ship in the fleet wasn't there

DS9 collapsing the Dominion War into what happens in and around DS9 always felt like a severe misstep, especially since they were schizophrenic about dealing with the war until they hit the final stretch anyhow. Stuff like Betazed getting invaded should have some weight, and instead it's an irrelevant name drop that's just there to push The Sisko.