• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The Kazon were basically the space rednecks of the Star Trek universe who fix everything with duct tape

Oct 25, 2017
I've appreciated the Kazon a lot more on my rewatch, actually. If they'd spent more time explaining their culture and less making Culluh a stooge for Seska, they probably would have worked better.

(Speaking of that episode, I love the resolution. You think they're going to pull another TNG maneuver and have the kid kill Chakotay to earn his name while saving Chakotay's life, that's even Chakotay's plan—and then the kid murders the Kazon leader instead. It's a total swerve but one that makes total sense for the character.)

Seska sticks out a lot more for me. She's a fun villain, but the whole immediate "you've exposed me, now I am Cardassian!" heel turn and deciding to try and rule the sector rather than getting home seems a really weird turn.

Oct 25, 2017
If you missed these the last time around:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11007823

The uniforms of Star Trek: Discovery are returning to the Apparel tab of the C-store with the launch of Age of Discovery – and just like before, they're absolutely free!

6866e57dff67ab1ec55d8f72d1f417391538784420.jpg

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I finished Season 3 of Enterprise. That whole arc is so fucking good and went to some levels that I never expected them to go (such as the episode Damage where they had to go against all their personal ethics in order to survive). The character arc with Malcolm and the Maco was quite well done as well. Degra is a great supporting character and the Xindi became fascinating the longer it went on. Maybe the conflict ended a bit too soon for my liking but who knows what is in store for Season 4...

Though I have been told to avoid the series finale like the plague lol.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Season 3 of Enterprise. That whole arc is so fucking good and went to some levels that I never expected them to go (such as the episode Damage where they had to go against all their personal ethics in order to survive). Degra is a great supporting character and the Xindi became fascinating the longer it went on. Maybe the conflict ended a bit too soon for my liking but who knows what is in store for Season 4...

Season 3 of Enterprise is fantastic and Season 4 is really solid too. Both of those seasons easily redeem the mediocre first two seasons.

The series finale is incredibly disappointing

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished Season 3 of Enterprise. That whole arc is so fucking good and went to some levels that I never expected them to go (such as the episode Damage where they had to go against all their personal ethics in order to survive). The character arc with Malcolm and the Maco was quite well done as well. Degra is a great supporting character and the Xindi became fascinating the longer it went on. Maybe the conflict ended a bit too soon for my liking but who knows what is in store for Season 4...

Yup... Season 3, is my fave season of Enterprise. I love arc story telling, it felt the most DS9 of the show's run.

Oct 25, 2017

Damage is one of my favorite episodes of Enterprise, made everything feel so desperate, something I never got with Voyager.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it in other Trek related threads and I'll say it again, season 3 of Enterprise executes Voyager's basic concept better than Voyager did

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah. The end is shit and had no good fucking reason to be at all.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of its success is probably down to the lack of Prime universe content and good Star Trek games. It fills the niche.
This. It's pretty much the only game in town as they say if you want to immerse yourself in the world of Star Trek, pilot a ship, go on away missions, etc. Bridge Crew only offers so much even with the TNG DLC and I'm not sure how many know you no longer need a VR headset for it. The mobile games are either gem games or card games. Star Trek Timelines is the one that comes closest to STO but you need a good phone for it I feel or you can play it on Steam I think but that's pretty limited and has gems you buy systems like STO.

The bad thing is STO really is the only game in town so they can do some pretty crappy things like locking a lot of niceer ships behind their gambling lock boxes or charging for ships you pretty much need once you hit endgame. You play a LOT of the game without putting down money but sooner or later you're going to have to at some point. Which is fair to a degree but not when so much specific stuff is a gamble. Thanksfully no actual story or level content is locked away which is nice. I complain but I think their Free to Play system is generally fair for the most part. It's the late game stuff that gets really iffy to bad.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I just caught the second half of Conspiracy on BBC America. I haven't seen that episode in decades. I'm surprised they aired that episode back in the day. That ending was pretty graphic for TV.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
The concept itself shouldn't be hard to do. You have to purposefully not want to do it. To this day I don't know why they didn't just get Voyager home in like season 2 or 3 and then really turn the show into TNG 2.0 that they seemed to want to do. Has anyone on the producer ever been asked that?

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I just freaking love catching Random episodes of Next Generation on TV and not remembering them, and having them feel like new episodes.

From Season 1, where they thawed out the 3 people on the ship, it wasn't a great episode, but it was Picard's first encounter with the Romulan ship.

Pretty cool stuff

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone explained who built the Dyson Sphere from Relics?
Star Trek Online covered it.

Do you remember the "clicky-sounds" aliens from "Schisms" episode? The aliens who kidnap crew members and conducts experiments on them and returns them back to the ship without them realizing.

Star Trek Online calls those aliens the "Solanae".

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The concept itself shouldn't be hard to do. You have to purposefully not want to do it. To this day I don't know why they didn't just get Voyager home in like season 2 or 3 and then really turn the show into TNG 2.0 that they seemed to want to do. Has anyone on the producer ever been asked that?
Ron Moore mentioned in an interview that the Voyager producers were seriously considering bringing the ship home and soft rebooting the show, but Ron told them that was quitter talk. Voyager had a perfectly fine concept, and they should embrace their concept and see what they could do with it, not try to run away from it.

Also, if Voyager made it home after being stranded for years on the other side of the galaxy, cut off from all their friends and loved ones, why the hell would anyone agree to get back on that ship and follow Captain Janeway out into the void again? Does Harry want to be an Ensign forever? It would be cult-like behavior for these people to continue serving on Voyager in the Alpha Quadrant as if nothing had changed.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
DS9 collapsing the Dominion War into what happens in and around DS9 always felt like a severe misstep, especially since they were schizophrenic about dealing with the war until they hit the final stretch anyhow. Stuff like Betazed getting invaded should have some weight, and instead it's an irrelevant name drop that's just there to push The Sisko.

I'm sure the DS9 writers were limited by Parmount/CBS since there was other Trek running at the time and they probably couldn't have the war affect the Federation too much.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek Online covered it.

Do you remember the "clicky-sounds" aliens from "Schisms" episode? The aliens who kidnap crew members and conducts experiments on them and returns them back to the ship without them realizing.

Star Trek Online calls those aliens the "Solanae".
So it wasn't explained. STO is worthless drivel storywise and non-canon anyway.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Ron Moore mentioned in an interview that the Voyager producers were seriously considering bringing the ship home and soft rebooting the show, but Ron told them that was quitter talk. Voyager had a perfectly fine concept, and they should embrace their concept and see what they could do with it, not try to run away from it.

Also, if Voyager made it home after being stranded for years on the other side of the galaxy, cut off from all their friends and loved ones, why the hell would anyone agree to get back on that ship and follow Captain Janeway out into the void again? Does Harry want to be an Ensign forever? It would be cult-like behavior for these people to continue serving on Voyager in the Alpha Quadrant as if nothing had changed.

Do we know when about this is? I mean, would Voyager be coming back to the Dominion war or after it ends? It is slightly odd that DS9 and Voyager were kept separate. No one on DS9 cares or mentions about the missing starship since there was a war going on and people on Voyager hardly ever mention the Dominion war after Message in a Bottle. Voyager never adhered to its concept or it would be more like the Equinox and the whole Marquis set up was incompatible from the start when you removed them immediately from the source of that conflict. I would have liked to have seen the likes of Eddington on Voyager though.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it wasn't explained. STO is worthless drivel storywise and non-canon anyway.
No, the show never picked up those storyline bits. Admittedly yes, the way STO ties so many things together is too convenient but it filled the void for me during the dark times without ANY Trek to speak of.

Oct 25, 2017
I view STO just like I do any of the novels. Enjoy the ones you do, ignore the ones you don't, and don't stress or get wedded to anything because the main canon might wipe it all away.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know when about this is? I mean, would Voyager be coming back to the Dominion war or after it ends? It is slightly odd that DS9 and Voyager were kept separate. No one on DS9 cares or mentions about the missing starship since there was a war going on and people on Voyager hardly ever mention the Dominion war after Message in a Bottle. Voyager never adhered to its concept or it would be more like the Equinox and the whole Marquis set up was incompatible from the start when you removed them immediately from the source of that conflict. I would have liked to have seen the likes of Eddington on Voyager though.
The interview was right after the end of DS9, so no more Dominion War. Ron Moore (who had been exclusively working on TNG and then DS9) moved over to Voyager (for season 6), and he realized that he absolutely hated the way things were done on Voyager, so he quit.

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

But he said that the Voyager producers had talked to him for "years" about wanting to back out of Voyager's concept and just go back to making more TNG, so who knows when they would have wanted to pop back up in the Alpha Quadrant. I got the impression that much of Voyager's concept was abandoned in the first season. Voyager's producers initially thought that ideas like the Maquis were great ideas, and then when the time came to implement those ideas, they realized that they didn't like those ideas anymore and didn't care to do anything with them.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda liked STO's storylines, from what little I remember of them. Fairly generic sci-fi slush for the most part, but with some cool spectacle and enjoyable bits.

Chyron_8472

Oct 4, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Voyager's producers initially thought that ideas like the Maquis were great ideas, and then when the time came to implement those ideas, they realized that they didn't like those ideas anymore and didn't care to do anything with them.

I thought Chakotay made it clear in the episode Learning Curve that he is the one keeping them in line. If they want to "do things the old way" he's more than willing to punch them right in the face, because in the old days that's what was done.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Chakotay made it clear in the episode Learning Curve that he is the one keeping them in line. If they want to "do things the old way" he's more than willing to punch them right in the face, because in the old days that's what was done.
That's the show touching on one of it's core ideas once (in the first season), and doing it to explain why they almost never touch on that idea.

The show needed more scenes like that one. Chakotay needed more scenes like that one.

Xenon Bloom

Nov 7, 2017
So I decided to watch all of trek in chronological order starting with enterprise (which I'd never seen before). I just got to the tos movies and goddamn I forgot how perfect Wrath of Khan is.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
A little bit into season four and I've just encountered the first bad episode in Enterprise since Extinction. Borderland was not good. I was very disappointed because they had Brent Spiner come back and everything but the whole episode was just pretty crappy as a whole. I wanted to skip it but I am pretty terrified of doing that with Enterprise now since everything is pretty connected. Otherwise though, it has been a good season so far.

The White House in Episode 2 of the season looked remarkably similar to what we have today.

Oct 25, 2017
So I read Star Trek Disco: Drastic Measures and I watched the TOS episode. It was nice having all that background story while watching.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think it was ever covered in the shows but did any extended universe stuff ever cover what happened to the Klingons between Star Trek VI and TNG that saved Qo'Nos?

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wrapped up Enterprise for the first time yesterday. Um, what the hell? I actually don't mind the concept, but Troi, Ryker, and Data's acting were all awful, the sets felt cheap and Frakes just-for-men and girdle weren't fooling anyone. Also, killing you know who completely ties your hands if somehow there was a clamoring for more adventures with this crew.

Also, there was a huge downgrade in special effects in the 4th season.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So I decided to watch all of trek in chronological order starting with enterprise (which I'd never seen before). I just got to the tos movies and goddamn I forgot how perfect Wrath of Khan is.

I personally think WoK's last :30 min or so (starting from the point where they transport back to the Enterprise from the genesis cave) is the best cinema ever produced. Great pacing, acting, thrills and action. And definitely music.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wrapped up Enterprise for the first time yesterday. Um, what the hell? I actually don't mind the concept, but Troi, Ryker, and Data's acting were all awful, the sets felt cheap and Frakes just-for-men and girdle weren't fooling anyone. Also, killing you know who completely ties your hands if somehow there was a clamoring for more adventures with this crew.

Also, there was a huge downgrade in special effects in the 4th season.
They brought back the original showrunners from the first two seasons for the finale and they... well, it's hard to describe it any way other than imagining some coked-up sibling written out of the will holding a can of gasoline and cackling about how they're "burning the house down because if we can't have it, nobody can!"