• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Star Trek Franchise |OT| To Boldly Go.....

Oct 26, 2017
Given how much they point out that the Transporter is relatively new technology and how theirs is one of the first approved for human use, it's amazing that the Transporter in Enterprise basically never goes wrong.
The only real problem I recall off the top of my head with it is in Season 3 when they try transporting Trellium-D and the ore totally screws with it.

Besides that the only other Transporter accidents are off screen ones that happen to the guy who invented the human Transporter and his son, and those happened with prototypes before the show even starts rather than the one on the ship.

Oct 25, 2017
SFDebris pointed out in one of their reviews the other day:

Trapped in a cave, need a medical evacuation. No problem, I'll just call the shuttle for an emergency beam out. Whoops, no. Can't call the shuttle because the cave minerals are blocking all signals. I guess I'll just have to walk back to the shuttle, and then initiate the transport from there.

Communications and sensors can't penetrate the cave, but transporters can? Yep. You can beam your molecules through that shit blindfolded.

I'm guessing that the transporters have been engineered to the point of being idiot-proof, which causes idiots to say "Hold my beer".

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Jun 29, 2018
SFDebris pointed out in one of their reviews the other day:

Trapped in a cave, need a medical evacuation. No problem, I'll just call the shuttle for an emergency beam out. Whoops, no. Can't call the shuttle because the cave minerals are blocking all signals. I guess I'll just have to walk back to the shuttle, and then initiate the transport from there.

Communications and sensors can't penetrate the cave, but transporters can? Yep. You can beam your molecules through that shit blindfolded.

I'm guessing that the transporters have been engineered to the point of being idiot-proof, which causes idiots to say "Hold my beer".
I haven't seen that video, but the scenario you just laid out makes sense...

If you can't transport from inside the cave, then you walk back to the shuttle which is just outside the cave and do the transport from there, right? And if comms and sensors can't penetrate the cave either, well that's fine and consistent. Nothing can penetrate the cave.

It's more likely I'm misreading somehow than the writers didn't make a mistake/didn't care.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen that video, but the scenario you just laid out makes sense...

If you can't transport from inside the cave, then you walk back to the shuttle which is just outside the cave and do the transport from there, right? And if comms and sensors can't penetrate the cave either, well that's fine and consistent. Nothing can penetrate the cave.

It's more likely I'm misreading somehow than the writers didn't make a mistake/didn't care.
Sorry, I shortened it a bit too much in my recap.

- Major Kira was trapped in a cave and could not get unstuck, not even with Odo's help.
- Odo tries to call the shuttle for a medical evac. Doesn't work. The cave has cut off all communications.
- Odo announces his plan for him to exit the cave on foot and run to the shuttle. Because the shuttle's transporters can obviously free her, it's just the communications and sensors that are being blocked.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I shortened it a bit too much in my recap.

- Major Kira was trapped in a cave and could not get unstuck, not even with Odo's help.
- Odo tries to call the shuttle for a medical evac. Doesn't work. The cave has cut off all communications.
- Odo announces his plan for him to exit the cave on foot and run to the shuttle. Because the shuttle's transporters can obviously free her, it's just the communications and sensors that are being blocked.
So, he had a bad idea. It also didn’t work. Just because a character tries something doesn’t mean even the imaginary universe is going to let it happen. ALL the machines failed to work in that cave because....space magic.

Oct 25, 2017
Given how much they point out that the Transporter is relatively new technology and how theirs is one of the first approved for human use, it's amazing that the Transporter in Enterprise basically never goes wrong.
The only real problem I recall off the top of my head with it is in Season 3 when they try transporting Trellium-D and the ore totally screws with it.

Besides that the only other Transporter accidents are off screen ones that happen to the guy who invented the human Transporter and his son, and those happened with prototypes before the show even starts rather than the one on the ship.
There was the one guy in Enterprise who got beamed up with rocks, leaves and twigs embedded into his skin. One of the first episodes I think.

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm watching Lois and Clark The New Adventures of Superman and Chakotay just attacked The Daily Planet.

Voyager Time Travel episodes really got weird didn't they?

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I had it open in my tabs and just now got to watch it. One of the best Trek stories in years. Just *chef kiss* phenomenal. If this is any indication to the quality of the Picard show with Michael Chabon on board, I'm sold.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about to get to Season 4 of Voyager and a question has been bugging me for awhile.
How the fuck do the Ocampa maintain a population if the women can only have one child and only at a very specific time in their life?

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about to get to Season 4 of Voyager and a question has been bugging me for awhile.
How the fuck do the Ocampa maintain a population if the women can only have one child and only at a very specific time in their life?
Presumably the Caretaker provided sufficient energy and technology for the Ocampa to live longer and have more offspring.

aka "It's Voyager!". Sorry.

Oct 25, 2017
According to Memory Alpha, one of the Expanded Universe books floated the idea that Ocampans usually have twins or triplets, and that a single birth is rare.

It was really quite the oversight on the part of the Voyager writers to suggest a couple of rules which invariably lead to a population getting cut in half every nine years, as that population's best case scenario.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I posit that they are a manufactured race designed with a short life span for unethical scientific testing on sentients.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
According to Memory Alpha, one of the Expanded Universe books floated the idea that Ocampans usually have twins or triplets, and that a single birth is rare.

It was really quite the oversight on the part of the Voyager writers to suggest a couple of rules which invariably lead to a population getting cut in half every nine years, as that population's best case scenario.
Yeah, I don't know how nobody realized how dumb it was before the episode that had this bit of info was finished, it's such a stupidly obvious and huge flaw.
Then they don't bother trying to fix it in the episode where we see Kes' birth as well as seeing her alternate future daughter and grandson.

Oct 25, 2017
I get the reasons why they wouldn't do this, for the same reason that none of the other Trek series they've announced have done this (and also presumably because the principal members of the bridge crew already have their own show), but I find myself wishing that the Georgiou spin-off show was about the old Captain Georgiou doing the usual Captain-y stuff with the Shenzhou. New Georgiou is fun occasionally but I don't really like her very much as a potential protagonist. I feel like there is an extremely narrow window between "she's evil and will always be evil, and she infects everything around her with evil" and "the innate goodness of Starfleet turns her into a weak antihero that makes wisecracks about torturing people occasionally but she totally doesn't mean it" and I'm not sure I'd have faith in the showrunners to hit it.

Oct 28, 2017
Missouri
Starting Voyager. I'm finally going full circle with Trek. My boyfriend introduced me to Season 4 of Voyager when Seven of Nine joined and we just kept watching from there. I'd seen the first episode before but everything else until Season 4 is going to be brand new for me. It is going to be very sad once there is no new Trek to watch (but there will at least be a new season of Discovery and two new shows we are interested in). Well, there is The Animated Series but I don't think either of us are interested in that lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course when they finally decide to do something interesting with Kes it's to get rid of her, lmao.
The worst part is they only got rid of her because Garrett Wang made it onto a 50 most beautiful people list, Harry was supposed to die from the species 8472 infection, then the list happened in between seasons and Harry got a miracle cure.

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is they only got rid of her because Garrett Wang made it onto a 50 most beautiful people list, Harry was supposed to die from the species 8472 infection, then the list happened in between seasons and Harry got a miracle cure.
Harry was ultimately a better character though. Kes' only ultimate contribution to the series was jumpstarting the doctor's development.

I get the reasons why they wouldn't do this, for the same reason that none of the other Trek series they've announced have done this (and also presumably because the principal members of the bridge crew already have their own show), but I find myself wishing that the Georgiou spin-off show was about the old Captain Georgiou doing the usual Captain-y stuff with the Shenzhou. New Georgiou is fun occasionally but I don't really like her very much as a potential protagonist. I feel like there is an extremely narrow window between "she's evil and will always be evil, and she infects everything around her with evil" and "the innate goodness of Starfleet turns her into a weak antihero that makes wisecracks about torturing people occasionally but she totally doesn't mean it" and I'm not sure I'd have faith in the showrunners to hit it.
I simply don't trust them at all, given that people decided "Burnam giving a Klingon zealot a WMD to rule over a planet via forced terror" was a "good" and Federation-affirming ending in the last season.

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, someone said that the decision to fire Garrett Wang hadn't really been made yet, because if the decision had been made, he would've already been gone.

The producers were bringing in Jeri Ryan/Seven of Nine, largely to address what they felt was the failure of the Janeway character (a leading lady who doesn't rely on sex appeal, which lead to friction between Jeri Ryan and Kate Mulgrew as Mulgrew rightly saw Seven of Nine as a threat, but took her frustrations out on the wrong person, as Jeri Ryan was just doing her job), and the producers wanted to kick someone off the show to make room for Seven of Nine, but couldn't easily kick Kate Mulgrew, so they tried to figure out who was the easiest to fire/contributed the least to the show.

Garrett Wang was supposedly the frontrunner for getting fired, but Jennifer Lien must not have been very far behind him in the producers' eyes if one well-timed positive magazine article was all it took to shift the axe from him to her. And apparently there were other "candidate to be fired" names on the list who have gone unmentioned as that would be unprofessional (although it was already unprofessional to talk about Garrett Wang's near-firing).

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, someone said that the decision to fire Garrett Wang hadn't really been made yet, because if the decision had been made, he would've already been gone.

The producers were bringing in Jeri Ryan/Seven of Nine, largely to address what they felt was the failure of the Janeway character (a leading lady who doesn't rely on sex appeal, which lead to friction between Jeri Ryan and Kate Mulgrew as Mulgrew rightly saw Seven of Nine as a threat, but took her frustrations out on the wrong person, as Jeri Ryan was just doing her job), and the producers wanted to kick someone off the show to make room for Seven of Nine, but couldn't easily kick Kate Mulgrew, so they tried to figure out who was the easiest to fire/contributed the least to the show.

Garrett Wang was supposedly the frontrunner for getting fired, but Jennifer Lien must not have been very far behind him in the producers' eyes if one well-timed positive magazine article was all it took to shift the axe from him to her. And apparently there were other "candidate to be fired" names on the list who have gone unmentioned as that would be unprofessional (although it was already unprofessional to talk about Garrett Wang's near-firing).
I can’t believe how far the woman who played Kes fell. I mean, we all have our demons.. it’s sad to see hers apparently consume her. Hopefully she’s gotten help and/or in a better place.

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Jun 29, 2018
Totally get what you mean with this.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Star Trek Beyond at last, and boy, they made some choices with Chris Pine’s hair.
There's a lot of weird aesthetic decisions they made with that movie. The Starfleet costumes in particular seem so weird—they nailed recreating the 60s ones in a big budget way, and then they flatten the design and give them these awkward looking high collars that still have the black undershirt barely peeping out. Then there's the ridiculous scale of the Yorktown, but c'est la vie.

(I was also personally hoping they'd make the Enterprise A look much better, but it's practically the same ship again.)

Oct 28, 2017
Missouri
Janeway can be a bit of a mess sometimes but I adore Kate Mulgrew's acting. She almost always knocks it out of the park (even if sometimes the Katharine Hepburn impression comes through just a little bit). Eye of the Needle was a good episode and it shows a glimpse of just how frustrating day-to-day life on Voyager must have been.

Oct 25, 2017
Janeway can be a bit of a mess sometimes but I adore Kate Mulgrew's acting. She almost always knocks it out of the park (even if sometimes the Katharine Hepburn impression comes through just a little bit). Eye of the Needle was a good episode and it shows a glimpse of just how frustrating day-to-day life on Voyager must have been.
"Eye of the Needle" is definitely the best use of the "will Voyager get home?" type plot, which is surprising considering how early in the show's run it was. "Hope and Fear" and "Timeless" are also good, but most of them fall short ("False Profits", oof.)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So far there have been very few points were I dislike Janeway, and I've not disliked Mulgrew at all. I'm actually surprised since I always heard that she's the worst and most inconsistent captain, I expected to dislike her. I'm enjoying Voyager quite a bit, but it definitely has some big flaws that currently have it well under DS9 for me right now, which I assume will be the case all the way to the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Mulgrew as an actress is definitely good, the scripts she's given to work with... less than great at times. She knows how to flip from casual to gravely serious while barely breaking a sweat, and many of Voyager's more powerful moments came from her giving them the gravity they so thoroughly deserve. One really gets the sense that Mulgrew fundamentally understood the concept of the character as its core - the Captain doing her best to keep her crew together and get them home - regardless of what the writers tried to do with her.

Like, here's a good scene for such, from season 7 (so, potential spoilers abound):

Optimistic, voice slightly cracking from relief and disbelief, while also dealing with disappointment restrained by rationality. Capped by a subdued, yet emotional response. It's a good showcase.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of weird aesthetic decisions they made with that movie. The Starfleet costumes in particular seem so weird—they nailed recreating the 60s ones in a big budget way, and then they flatten the design and give them these awkward looking high collars that still have the black undershirt barely peeping out. Then there's the ridiculous scale of the Yorktown, but c'est la vie.

(I was also personally hoping they'd make the Enterprise A look much better, but it's practically the same ship again.)
Yeah, I was disappointed when the Kelvin Enterprise A was basically the Enterprise.

The CGI backgrounds were distracting, as were the various aesthetic choices. It's a very action-oriented Trek, but with Justin Lin at the helm, you wouldn't expect anything different.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the Voyager Season 4 episode Nemesis feels like it was supposed to come after Revulsion due to the dialogue in the latter. Was this season's episodes reordered?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, for who knows what reason. There's a few instances of that throughout VOY.
I haven't noticed it at all until now, Paris saying it's been 3 days since B'elanna said she loved him made it super obvious in this instance. So I assume that means Tuvok was a rank higher than he should have been in Nemesis but I didn't notice.

EDIT: Oh, seems Nemesis was supposed to come before Day of Honor actually.

Oct 25, 2017
It's the team up you've all been waiting for! Dry and sarcastic meets dry and sarcastic! Two dull, unfunny, elderly men talk about an old, dull, dry film. WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN THAT KIDS?!?!?!? Seriously though, Mike and Jim love Star Trek The Motion Picture. It's mainly because they are dry, dull, and elderly.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the Year of Hell 2 parter, why the hell did nobody remember that Kes informed them about the Krenim? Also when the Krenim restored their empire to 98% and Voyager didn't have temporal shields yet why was Voyager still in Krenim space? Wouldn't it make a whole lot more sense for them to have reset outside of Krenim space going around it?

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the Year of Hell 2 parter, why the hell did nobody remember that Kes informed them about the Krenim? Also when the Krenim restored their empire to 98% and Voyager didn't have temporal shields yet why was Voyager still in Krenim space? Wouldn't it make a whole lot more sense for them to have reset outside of Krenim space going around it?
Yeah it's kind of weird (presumably caused by the introduction of Seven/departure of Kes.) We have no idea if the timeline hadn't already been altered in a way relating to Voyager before then, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I've always been a pretty big Star Trek fan... Liked the OS, most of the movies (baring V, Nemesis, and Into Darkness), and TNG is one of my all time favorite shows.

Couldn't get into DS9 when it originally aired, but honestly didn't care too much to try. I didn't care for the concept at the time. Yes, I was one of those that was like, "What? Just a space station? That's not Trek." Over the years though, I've picked a few episodes through reruns here and there, thought it was okay I guess, but again, not a fair shake.

Anyway, FINALLY got around to giving the series a proper run-through, and having just finished season 2... holy shit was I mistaken. This is some good shit. I feel like like there's even a bit more consistency at the same point in time comparing TNG.