• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like rewatching Star Trek 6 tonight. Might have to put it on in a bit.

8a22267372644791c486cd74d31328f8.gif
I've been meaning to do exactly that for weeks

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked in the modelling thread but I don't think anyone builds Trek stuff there so...

Has anyone bought/assembled/painted either the Revell, Polar Lights or AMT TOS Enterprise model kits?

If so, which paint colour did you use for the hull? Mixing three colours like Revell suggests isn't practical. What do the PL/AMT kits suggest, and what did you go with?

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
I want to watch Star Trek V. I haven't seen it in years.

lol

Now that's something you don't see too often. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

After the campfire scene... it's such a struggle. Even as a kid I knew that movie was bad, but I was a kid and watched it anyway.... several times.

Star Trek VI is my favorite ST movie.

I could probably say the same. Khan generally gets a lot love, and deservedly so, but VI is so damn good as well.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek V is one of those Trek movies that has a legitimately interesting premise but doesn't really handle it well.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
On paper it'd be a decent throwback to one of the archetypal Trek stories - that of the crew encountering the nigh-Godlike being - with it turning out this one can't even do anything without hitching a ride, and Kirk's just so used to this bollocks he can pick out a phoney in an instant.

Alas.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree. I did appreciate the twist with God though. "What does God need with a starship" is a very fun line.
Oh my god I love that part. Everyone is in awe of God and then Kirk walks in and just destroys the mood by pointing out that God shouldn't need a starship.

5 isn't very good but I'd argue it has some under rated parts

Oct 25, 2017
On paper it'd be a decent throwback to one of the archetypal Trek stories - that of the crew encountering the nigh-Godlike being - with it turning out this one can't even do anything without hitching a ride, and Kirk's just so used to this bollocks he can pick out a phoney in an instant.

Alas.
That reminds me, the episode with the Traveler was on the other day and the Enterprise crew was hesitant to believe him but like a few episodes before that they had already met Q...and I'm sure they had heard of all the crap Kirk had encountered 100 years ago. It was just funny that they still didn't believe in what amounts to magical creatures.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The "I need my pain" scene is also great.

Definitely. There is greatness sprinkled throughout most of the Star Trek movies, even the bad ones. Well, less so when it comes to TNG movies which makes me very sad since I grew up watching TNG. As for JJ Trek, they're fun action movies but nothing more than that. Beyond to its credit had a little speck of that old Star Trek spirit for about half an hour before it fell back to nonsense. A shame.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me, the episode with the Traveler was on the other day and the Enterprise crew was hesitant to believe him but like a few episodes before that they had already met Q...and I'm sure they had heard of all the crap Kirk had encountered 100 years ago. It was just funny that they still didn't believe in what amounts to magical creatures.

You honestly have to feel for whatever poor dregs, from Starfleet Intelligence through to the diplomatic corps, have to deal with these guys beyond first contact. Like, imagine being the poor schmucks who have to make sure that the Metrons don't consider stuff like the Dominion War to be a sign of what 'savages' the corporeal beings are.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. There is greatness sprinkled throughout most of the Star Trek movies, even the bad ones. Well, less so when it comes to TNG movies which makes me very sad since I grew up watching TNG. As for JJ Trek, they're fun action movies but nothing more than that. Beyond to its credit had a little speck of that old Star Trek spirit for about half an hour before it fell back to nonsense. A shame.
I mean, the George Kirk sequence at the start of Trek 2009 is one of the best moments in the entire movie-Trek franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
You honestly have to feel for whatever poor dregs, from Starfleet Intelligence through to the diplomatic corps, have to deal with these guys beyond first contact. Like, imagine being the poor schmucks who have to make sure that the Metrons don't consider stuff like the Dominion War to be a sign of what 'savages' the corporeal beings are.
lol yeah and that's why Section 31 has to be so secretive....if they only knew

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah and that's why Section 31 has to be so secretive....if they only knew

I half like to think even Section 31 stays away from this stuff if they can choose to. Like it's nonsense nobody wants to acknowledge in-universe unless they're absolutely forced to.

"Damar?"
"Yes, Weyoun?"
"We've heard reports of a potentially quite fascinating ally - or someone we would very much like to keep from coming in on the Federation side. Tell me, are you familiar with the Organians?"
"The who?"
"Organians."
"Never heard of them."
"It says here they have immense psychic powers-"
"Never. Heard. Of. Them."

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the George Kirk sequence at the start of Trek 2009 is one of the best moments in the entire movie-Trek franchise.

I liked a lot of things about it. Visually it is incredible. It is directed in a way that you do feel the suspense and the dread of being in deep space and encountering something horrible. Captain Robau is a great captain for what little we see of him, a leader who is calm and composed under pressure. Hemsworth plays his role very well and his last few minutes are pretty emotional. I didn't like the design of the romulans and their ship at all, nor the way the sequence ended with Kirk ramming the Narada as it was a bit tropey. Still, those are minor nitpicks of an actually good scene.

I liked the first 30 minutes of Beyond for pretty much the same reasons. It's the only time in the entire trilogy that Kirk feels like Kirk, like an actual captain instead of an immature brat. Kirk's monologue about the five-year mission and his talk with Bones, as well as the next sequence with the Enterprise exploring uncharted territory and encountering a new threat was pretty engaging. Then the ship gets destroyed, Kirk rides a dirt bike and everything turns to shit.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds, having been tinkering with the ST: Net Horizons mod for Stellaris a while now, I can't help but arrive at a peculiar, if somewhat morbid conclusion.

Krall should have been Archer.

I realise that's an astonishingly dark place to take his character, but there would have been a certain solemnity to it. This would have been the man who, for all intents and purposes, built the Federation. Restored the teachings of Surak, bridged the Vulcans and Andorians, then the Andorians and Tellarites in turn. It would have been easy to sell who he was and why his disappearance, return, and ultimate betrayal mattered so much. Edison is clearly built as a shadow of Archer's overall archetype, from fighting in the same conflicts to having a strikingly similar ship. The most major distinction really is that Edison was, comparatively, just another soldier, where Archer both fought and made peace with those enemies. But well, a century of ruminating on regrets could easily allow for him to think twice over what previously seemed like triumphs. The counter then is obvious: No, what Archer and his crew did, did matter. He helped build a better future not only for his own people, but numerous others.

The reason this occurs to me is because it's a decent probable scenario to occur in playing the game, if you have
whoever you assign to the Franklin deal with the embassy bombing. So, when the Franklin disappears, the leader you had help mend Vulcan society, and lay the foundations of the Federation, will be the one to come back a shell of their former self

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
That reminds, having been tinkering with the ST: Net Horizons mod for Stellaris a while now, I can't help but arrive at a peculiar, if somewhat morbid conclusion.

Krall should have been Archer.

I realise that's an astonishingly dark place to take his character, but there would have been a certain solemnity to it. This would have been the man who, for all intents and purposes, built the Federation. Restored the teachings of Surak, bridged the Vulcans and Andorians, then the Andorians and Tellarites in turn. It would have been easy to sell who he was and why his disappearance, return, and ultimate betrayal mattered so much. Edison is clearly built as a shadow of Archer's overall archetype, from fighting in the same conflicts to having a strikingly similar ship. The most major distinction really is that Edison was, comparatively, just another soldier, where Archer both fought and made peace with those enemies. But well, a century of ruminating on regrets could easily allow for him to think twice over what previously seemed like triumphs. The counter then is obvious: No, what Archer and his crew did, did matter. He helped build a better future not only for his own people, but numerous others.

The reason this occurs to me is because it's a decent probable scenario to occur in playing the game, if you have
whoever you assign to the Franklin deal with the embassy bombing. So, when the Franklin disappears, the leader you had help mend Vulcan society, and lay the foundations of the Federation, will be the one to come back a shell of their former self
Ehhhhh, nah.

I just couldn't see Archer's character doing that at all. If they had done that then it would've (very rightfully) gotten a HUGE negative backlash. Archer genuinely believed in what the Federation was built to represent, to the point that he became its President at one point. The only real regrets his character seemed to have were of some of his actions during the Xindi conflict, and regretting those actions would pretty much lead to the opposite of what Krall ended up becoming.

Krall only worked because he was just another soldier. All he knew was how to be a Soldier, he fought in the Xindi conflict and the Earth-Romulan war, then his reward for his service, and the response to these conflicts, is for the military he served and loved to be completely disbanded and its remnants absorbed into an organisation who's primary goal was Exploration and Scientific research, with him just being given command of a ship and essentially forgotten about.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhhh, nah.

I just couldn't see Archer's character doing that at all. If they had done that then it would've (very rightfully) gotten a HUGE negative backlash. Archer genuinely believed in what the Federation was built to represent, to the point that he became its President at one point. The only real regrets his character seemed to have were of some of his actions during the Xindi conflict, and regretting those actions would pretty much lead to the opposite of what Krall ended up becoming.

Krall only worked because he was just another soldier. All he knew was how to be a Soldier, he fought in the Xindi conflict and the Earth-Romulan war, then his reward for his service, and the response to these conflicts, is for the military he served and loved to be completely disbanded and its remnants absorbed into an organisation who's primary goal was Exploration and Scientific research, with him just being given command of a ship and essentially forgotten about.

I was thinking more the losses and such, and how he grappled with the balance of his optimism vs the potential, practical realities of being ready for a dangerous universe. To go from being so assured of where he stood to the isolation gnawing at his resolve. That said, your criticisms do stand, and I suppose it more reflects a desire to try and resolve just how... underwhelming Krall is as presented. Like, the inherent idea is pretty promising - hence my mind wants to try and 'fix' it somehow - but there's this dissonance in the supposed tragedy of who he once was when an approximate reaction to the reveal is quite likely to be:
pyuXie3.gif

But further then I suppose, one could very well leverage that criticism against a lot of characters whose characterisation basically boils down to 'trust us, they're famous'. Not like we got to see Cochrane inventing the warp drive upfront and all.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking more the losses and such, and how he grappled with the balance of his optimism vs the potential, practical realities of being ready for a dangerous universe. To go from being so assured of where he stood to the isolation gnawing at his resolve. That said, your criticisms do stand, and I suppose it more reflects a desire to try and resolve just how... underwhelming Krall is as presented. Like, the inherent idea is pretty promising - hence my mind wants to try and 'fix' it somehow - but there's this dissonance in the supposed tragedy of who he once was when an approximate reaction to the reveal is quite likely to be:
pyuXie3.gif

But further then I suppose, one could very well leverage that criticism against a lot of characters whose characterisation basically boils down to 'trust us, they're famous'. Not like we got to see Cochrane inventing the warp drive upfront and all.

The better option would have been having Krall turn out to be one of the named MACO characters that actually served on Enterprise with Archer.

Most people probably would have had the exact same reaction, but some would have recognised the name, plus a mention of having served on Enterprise would twig a few reactions.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would have worked if Krall was just an alien from a species that didn't want contact with the federation (or anyone) or maybe like that one episode in Voyager where a federation prob destroyed their civilization and had a grudge against them. More in line with that "frontier pushes back" line. Although the whole grudge against the federation was already done well in 2009 (and less so in STiD). So a hostile species that doesn't want the peace and love the federation offers would have worked better.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Just started Enterprise to break up my TNG habit and that theme song is pretty cruddy. Maybe it'll grow on me but at the moment I hate it ha. Tonally though I already like this a lot more than STD.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The Enterprise opening only got bad in Season 3.

Still better than the Discovery one though.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched These Are The Voyages again and even though it's a trash episode, I still don't skip it. Parts of it are even enjoyable.

Why were no or few promotions made by the end of the show over the ten year timespan? I think Hoshi ended up with the only promotion to Lt. Jg.

Why was Enterprise so woefully understaffed during the final boarding party sequence. You'd expect more than two senior officers in the corridor when there should have been MACOS everywhere.

You'd think Travis would have at least done something other than piloting overbthe ten years to get any kind of promotion. But I guess he'd need to have a personality first.

I'm sure I have other questions. But these will do for now

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
So my mates throwing a costume party and I'm thinking of going as a Klingon.

The premade costumes look terrible but I can't find much online from googling, does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how I can do it? (I'm having the biggest issue dealing with the breastplate/shoulder pads).

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The premade costumes look terrible but I can't find much online from googling, does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how I can do it? (I'm having the biggest issue dealing with the breastplate/shoulder pads).
Dress normally and pretend that you're a cosmetically changed Klingon.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

If you aren't massively confident in working on a full costume then it can be helpful to buy one of the crappy pre-made ones as a base and then just work on top of it. Etsy is usually quite helpful as well with higher quality stuff available.

If I remember right there's also a Star Trek Costume Facebook group that's very welcoming and could help you out.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing rumours that Alex Kurtzman has been fired (at least from Star Trek, but not from his contact) following really negative feedback from Picard test screenings.

Not sure how credible this stuff is though.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Seeing rumours that Alex Kurtzman has been fired (at least from Star Trek, but not from his contact) following really negative feedback from Picard test screenings.

Not sure how credible this stuff is though.

They are as credible as the rumors that Star Trek Discovery season three is 'in jeopardy' and that Kathleen Kennedy is going to be fired from head of Lucasfilm

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
That rumour popped up almost a week ago on 13th June. If it were true I would've expected something more concrete by now.

The source was "a guy says someone who works on Star Trek told him this"

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
If it's anything from Midnight's edge, feel free to disregard that, the dude is a well documented hater with real toxic views

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
If it's anything from Midnight's edge, feel free to disregard that, the dude is a well documented hater with real toxic views

Yeah, it's Midnight's Edge so the validity of the information is certainly in question. I think that news like that would have already circulated among the big trades if it was a fact. I guess we'll see. Truth be told though, I have exactly zero faith in Kurtzman's ability to act as the Kevin Feige of Star Trek and steer the ship in the right direction. This is what I expect with Kurtzman at the helm.

70F3B32C9EDD2643AEE3F21067D1779E52104FF4

Oct 25, 2017
I still wonder what DS9 would be like if Forbes decided to stay.
I like how the novels tried to just bring Ro in and have both of them on DS9 for a while, but I have no idea where that went after the first few books.
oh she was supposed to appear? Damn that's a missed opportunity especially since DS9 developed side characters so well