• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda shitty of her to throw shade like that when it was her choice to leave which she regretted fast and started humping Star Trek's legs to be brought back several times which Berman didn't have to do but did anyway. She's been doing conventions and fan documentaries and has appeared in a fan film, she has been profitting a lot from being on Star Trek for a very short time.

So now Berman is playing nice, pretending Tasha was a relevant part of TNG and not just a supporting character in the shitty first season that half of the fandom skips for rewatches and she thinks it's a good idea to respond like that? This makes her look ungrateful because like I already said, she wasn't forced out, she made the choice but boo fucking hoo, Berman forgot episodes were shot out of order 30 years ago and he took the combadge ... so what?

I really don't get it, his tweet might not be 100% accurate (but we have no idea if her recollection of the events is, human memory is kinda crappy) but he's basically telling the world he kept a memento of her character for decades which should play right into her hands.

I think it's healthy to not buy either person's story, to be honest. Both have a vested interest in making themselves look better, leaving aside the questions as you say of if either of them is actually remembering the event from that long ago correctly.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She made an intimate wink-jab in a public space without a ;) or :P . This is on her.

That being said. Who gives a shit?

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Finally watched Discovery S02E01. I really dug it and I'm looking forward to see where they're going with it. Found season 1 to be a bit shaky sometimes, but overall a good addition to the series. I still think Burnham is a little too perfect all the time, but I still think she's a pretty good character. I'm really hoping they develop Nebula as a character - she's so enigmatic and proper cyborgs aren't exactly the norm for good guys in the star trek universe.

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried a few but I don't really play an mobile games to begin with because they don't keep my attention and it was the same for all the star trek ones, just didn't care enough to keep playing.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

Really? A Star Trek kids cartoon?
It feels like CBS is doing way too much Trek. I honestly have my doubts that some of the announced stuff is actually going to be made.
I would love to see CBS All Access numbers because I have my doubts they're enough to sustain this much Trek, especially since they're giving away 2 months of free service if you cancel.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about the viability of CBSAA, these shows have an international market. Also this is being made with Nickelodeon so they're probably licensing out and not having to pick up the cost of development.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no such thing as too much Star Trek. We have endless Marvel movies and tv shows, the Star Trek universe is just as, if not more, vast.

Bring 'em on.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no such thing as too much Star Trek. We have endless Marvel movies and tv shows, the Star Trek universe is just as, if not more, vast.

Bring 'em on.

Difference is that the MCU is to date the only franchise of that size that has successfully juggled as much transmedia as it's produced.

This is CBS producing a firehose of content because they plump up the perceived value of CBSAA and the franchise, rather than a focus on the products themselves. There's clearly no level of planning akin to the MCU here.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Difference is that the MCU is to date the only franchise of that size that has successfully juggled as much transmedia as it's produced.

This is CBS producing a firehose of content because they plump up the perceived value of CBSAA and the franchise, rather than a focus on the products themselves. There's clearly no level of planning akin to the MCU here.
Star Trek Discovery is the best tv Trek since what, DS9? When they start producing weak content I will worry.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about the viability of CBSAA, these shows have an international market. Also this is being made with Nickelodeon so they're probably licensing out and not having to pick up the cost of development.

International interest probably doesn't matter, since they just license the airing rights out the viewership doesn't matter. A lot of really popular international US shows get cancelled because in the US they are not popular. Sometimes if that happens a channel airing it may try aquire the rights and fund it themselves, but not often.

Bring 'em on.

People said we got too much Trek when TNG, DS9 and Voyager ran over a ~14 year period. TNG and Voyager didn't even air concurrently.

To compare, soon there will be more concurrent running Trek shows than there have been Trek shows ever in 50 years.

Jan 29, 2018
International interest probably doesn't matter, since they just license the airing rights out the viewership doesn't matter. A lot of really popular international US shows get cancelled because in the US they are not popular. Sometimes if that happens a channel airing it may try aquire the rights and fund it themselves, but not often.

People said we got too much Trek when TNG, DS9 and Voyager ran over a ~14 year period. TNG and Voyager didn't even air concurrently.

To compare, soon there will be more concurrent running Trek shows than there have been Trek shows ever in 50 years.

To be fair, those 90s shows had like 24 episode seasons. These new ones will be around half that.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017

That's what I'm saying, apart from there's a built in audience for these things outside of the states so there's more of a chance of licensing deals in multiple countries or with a provider like Netflix. It appears they can afford to make multiple shows which seems to be their strategy for getting subs on CBSAA, however they'll also know in advance that there's a good market out there internationally to help support development costs.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm saying, apart from there's a built in audience for these things outside of the states so there's more of a chance of licensing deals in multiple countries or with a provider like Netflix. It appears they can afford to make multiple shows which seems to be their strategy for getting subs on CBSAA, however they'll also know in advance that there's a good market out there internationally to help support development costs.
That's the opposite of what I said. History has proven US companies only care about how the show does in US. They have proven it time and time again by cancelling internationally popular shows based on US ratings only.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
That's the opposite of what I said. History has proven US companies only care about how the show does in US. They have proven it time and time again by cancelling internationally popular shows based on US ratings only.
Your CW tv station thing begs to differ.
I don't know what you're trying to say?

I don't know. But I suspect what they are saying is that CW airs US productions that aren't popular in the US but are world wide. Despite this, they still air them and it's still produced. But we will have to wait for Miso to clarify and maybe give some examples.

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
Basically yes.

Dynasty, Riverdale, Black Lightning etc. Simply woeful ratings in home country but it gets up every year as Netflix pay enough to have it globally same/next day as an Original.

Then you have Designated Survivor, shithouse Yank ratings, but does well as a Netflix Original so despite US 'cancellation' it's going to continue.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically yes.

Dynasty, Riverdale, Black Lightning etc. Simply woeful ratings in home country but it gets up every year as Netflix pay enough to have it globally same/next day as an Original.

Then you have Designated Survivor, shithouse Yank ratings, but does well as a Netflix Original so despite US 'cancellation' it's going to continue.

CW shows are low budget trash (talking about production quality) so that probably helps them, unlike say Gotham which is popular yet still getting cancelled. CW shows still get cancelled though, iZombie does the Netflix next day thing and is at its final season.

I suppose the most on topic example is Enterprise, was doing great outside the US. US didn't care.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Star Trek Discovery is the best tv Trek since what, DS9? When they start producing weak content I will worry.

Some would say that Discovery IS weak content ....... (and I'd be one of them). Its (many) flaws have often been pointed out by others so I won't reiterate them here, but Discovery really is not good Star Trek, I'd even go so far as to say as it's not Star Trek at all. The last good TV Star Trek was DS9.

Oct 25, 2017
Some would say that Discovery IS weak content ....... (and I'd be one of them). Its (many) flaws have often been pointed out by others so I won't reiterate them here, but Discovery really is not good Star Trek, I'd even go so far as to say as it's not Star Trek at all. The last good TV Star Trek was DS9.
And those people would be a minority as Disco seems to get good/great reviews.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one says it is 100%. Not everything is liked by everyone, but it is safe to say the reception to season 2 of Discovery has been very positive by most of the fanbase.

The most consistently positive the fanbase has been since DS9 I would say is a pretty accurate statement with Season 2 of Discovery.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Personally I'd rank Voyager above it (as I do like Voyager) but I do think Discovery is pretty good. My only real complaints being the changes to Klingons and the Mycelial network starting to run its course.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose the most on topic example is Enterprise, was doing great outside the US. US didn't care.
They didn't need Star Trek for UPN/The CW anymore.
The fact that they seem to be milking the franchise for all its worth to support their streaming service makes me assume that the show will last as long as the service is in operation.

Hell the fact that Patrick Stewart thinks his show will last 3 seasons before it's even a thing is funny to me.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017

Funnily enough the CEO of CBS did an interview and mentioned this

Regarding the subject of licensing revenue, the CBS chief again brought up Star Trek with regard to how they are approaching international deals, saying:
"We are benefited from the lucrative business of licensing our content to third parties. Selling Star Trek: Discovery to Netflix internationally while streaming it exclusively here in the US on All Access is emblematic of this strategy and provides for interesting opportunities for us going forward."​

So it's exactly as I said - theyre doing all these shows not just for CBSAA but also with international licensing in mind as part of their development strategy.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't need Star Trek for UPN/The CW anymore.
The fact that they seem to be milking the franchise for all its worth to support their streaming service makes me assume that the show will last as long as the service is in operation.

Hell the fact that Patrick Stewart thinks his show will last 3 seasons before it's even a thing is funny to me.
He's being optimistic about his buy-in to tell that story. He's 79.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
He's being optimistic about his buy-in to tell that story. He's 79.
Well I also assume he's just doing short 6 episode runs or something so 3 seasons is probably just one regular season spread out over 3 years. lol
I see this way more often (at all) than I can possibly comprehend.
I agree, but it's more that I think S1 of Discovery was pretty bad even absent the "not real Trek" baggage.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Never saw the appeal of Orville, If I want to watch a shittier TNG il just watch Voyager.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put some thoughts down on the new Picard show. Aside from not identifying the year correctly (Romulus being destroyed in 2389 which places this in 2399), I've based this plot on the fragments of info released so far. Thread:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Why are the Romulans nomads? They were a pretty major power. Sure the destruction of their homeworld would hurt them but they were pretty clearly a major power that controlled a lot more star systems than the one Romulas was in.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are the Romulans nomads? They were a pretty major power. Sure the destruction of their homeworld would hurt them but they were pretty clearly a major power that controlled a lot more star systems than the one Romulas was in.

I suppose you could say that it wasn't just the destruction of Romulus but the combined star systems it likely impacted, but yeah. While I can see their empire shrinking because they'd lose the material to enforce their previous boundaries and a lot of chaos from the loss of their government heads, I can't imagine them just dissolving entirely. Administering an interstellar empire requires some distributed bureaucracy that would keep things going.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Probably for the same reason all foreign planets have a single biome.
Bad writing and inability to think big enough.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's silly because ST6 basically had Praxis explode and while not a "homeworld", it was still a significant part of the Klingon empire and it's not like the entire empire collapsed. The writers used it to turn it into a Berlin wall falling analog.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, Star Trek New Horizons (the Stellaris mod) have announced their newest update - bringing the mod in line with Stellaris 2.2 - for February 22nd.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With he collapse of their central command and government there are only colonies left. Some would be easy target practice for other nations. The Breen, Klingons and even some rogue factions in the Romulan military would try to consolidate power.

Then there's the remaining people on those colonies who have no supply lines between Romulus anymore- easy route there is reunification with the Vulcans for a new colony. Either way, the Senate was the heart of the Star Empire but now that star is gone.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Just started watching TOS recently. It's kind of silly but there's something charming about it. Only watched a handful of episodes so far but my two favorites are Balance of Terror and The Corbomite Maneuver. Are there more of these ship-to-ship naval battle-esque episodes? The first half of Arena was pretty good for this iirc, and then the second half happened :lol

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching TOS recently. It's kind of silly but there's something charming about it. Only watched a handful of episodes so far but my two favorites are Balance of Terror and The Corbomite Maneuver. Are there more of these ship-to-ship naval battle-esque episodes? The first half of Arena was pretty good for this iirc, and then the second half happened :lol
The Doomsday Machine is pretty great.

Oct 25, 2017
TOS has some amazing Sci-fi that works even thought the show is really dated.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I've still yet to actually play the mod. is it good?

I loved BotF

It has a lot of rough spots, some of which is inherent to the base game, but I found it very addicting. It's certainly the best Star Trek game around at the moment, and my love of STO despite its flaws is well documented.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Bump:
Gonna sink my teeth in tonight. Some of this at once begs the question of Why, but others actually seem kinda neat and might well improve on the game outright:
D0BOtVIWwAEWDk9