• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017

If anyone is interested

This seems like a perfect opportunity for me to cross-post my summary of the amazing "Hive" comic that's included in that Bundle from the Dumbest Moments in Comics thread.

It's the 29th Century, The Borg have assimilated the entire galaxy, with the last remnants of resistance having been wiped out a century earlier. Locutus, sitting on his floating throne, has realised that it's all actually a bit shit really so decides to do something about it, so he flies off (Oh yeah, Locutus can fly now) to a room where he's rebuilt Data in order to put things right.
Meanwhile in the 24th Century Picard is busy boning Vash when he realises The Borg are coming back, so he heads back to the Enterprise and off to Starfleet, where a damaged Borg armada appears and asks for help to defeat a new enemy from another dimension that the Borg cannot defeat or assimilate and that isn't Species 8472.
Turns out Seven of Nine went back to the Borg as a spy and let herself get re-assimilated but with an implant in her brain to keep her individuality, and now she's back on the Enterprise to help out.

Meanwhile, back in the future, Locutus and Borg Data are off to kill the Borg Queen, but first they have to get through Seven of Nine who is now the Scorpion King, presumably because she defeated The Rock in an episode of Voyager,
th

Fortunately they're able to beat her when Locutus rips one of her legs off while Data just strangles her to death.

Meanwhile, back in the present, to everyone's surprise the whole thing was a Borg trap and they actually created the alien race as a trap. At this point Seven of Nine sprouts spider legs from her sides,
StarTrek_TNG_HIVE-03-pr_Page_3.jpg

Meanwhile, in the future Data and Locutus encounter the Queen in her new Bikini power armour,
xzDkUfD.jpg

Fortunately Locutus and Data can create Iron Man suits from the walls for themselves using their Magneto powers,
E5jVmdU.jpg

So after a battle, the Queen rips Locutus in half, Data stabs her, then Locutus rips her head off to send Borg Data back in time.

So the crew take the Enterprise into the Borg Armada, beam aboard the Queen's ship and Picard lets the Queen try to re-assimilate him. Fortunately Seven of Nine is now naked and living inside of Picard's head and protects him, causing the Queen to overload.
Seven then transports as many Borg survivors as she can to the Enterprise before the whole thing explodes and Seven dies back aboard the Enterprise.

To thank her for her efforts the Borg she rescued are given a colony of their own with possibly the shittest holographic statue of Seven of Nine that could anyone could possibly make,
sZ1EQt4.png

You will be shocked to learn that it was written by Brannon Braga.

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a perfect opportunity for me to cross-post my summary of the amazing "Hive" comic that's included in that Bundle from the Dumbest Moments in Comics thread.

It's the 29th Century, The Borg have assimilated the entire galaxy, with the last remnants of resistance having been wiped out a century earlier. Locutus, sitting on his floating throne, has realised that it's all actually a bit shit really so decides to do something about it, so he flies off (Oh yeah, Locutus can fly now) to a room where he's rebuilt Data in order to put things right.
Meanwhile in the 24th Century Picard is busy boning Vash when he realises The Borg are coming back, so he heads back to the Enterprise and off to Starfleet, where a damaged Borg armada appears and asks for help to defeat a new enemy from another dimension that the Borg cannot defeat or assimilate and that isn't Species 8472.
Turns out Seven of Nine went back to the Borg as a spy and let herself get re-assimilated but with an implant in her brain to keep her individuality, and now she's back on the Enterprise to help out.

Meanwhile, back in the future, Locutus and Borg Data are off to kill the Borg Queen, but first they have to get through Seven of Nine who is now the Scorpion King, presumably because she defeated The Rock in an episode of Voyager,
th

Fortunately they're able to beat her when Locutus rips one of her legs off while Data just strangles her to death.

Meanwhile, back in the present, to everyone's surprise the whole thing was a Borg trap and they actually created the alien race as a trap. At this point Seven of Nine sprouts spider legs from her sides,
StarTrek_TNG_HIVE-03-pr_Page_3.jpg

Meanwhile, in the future Data and Locutus encounter the Queen in her new Bikini power armour,
xzDkUfD.jpg

Fortunately Locutus and Data can create Iron Man suits from the walls for themselves using their Magneto powers,
E5jVmdU.jpg

So after a battle, the Queen rips Locutus in half, Data stabs her, then Locutus rips her head off to send Borg Data back in time.

So the crew take the Enterprise into the Borg Armada, beam aboard the Queen's ship and Picard lets the Queen try to re-assimilate him. Fortunately Seven of Nine is now naked and living inside of Picard's head and protects him, causing the Queen to overload.
Seven then transports as many Borg survivors as she can to the Enterprise before the whole thing explodes and Seven dies back aboard the Enterprise.

To thank her for her efforts the Borg she rescued are given a colony of their own with possibly the shittest holographic statue of Seven of Nine that could anyone could possibly make,
sZ1EQt4.png

You will be shocked to learn that it was written by Brannon Braga.
Oh boy lol

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Until I scrolled down enough to see the legs sprouting from her torso. I thought Seven was just really getting into some Karaoke.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, zero argument and all personal attack. Bravo.

I was replying to a post that someone else made, so don't go accusing me of bringing it up. Perhaps join the discussion or stay quiet? Everytime the discussion heads this way you reply with personal attacks, perhaps get some real arguments before posting next time. Oh and "It's literally a Star Trek show", yeah no shit, way to completely miss the point of discussion.

Also, receipts of me keep bring this up please, because it been discussed in the past but not for a long time.

I, like many others type how I talk, and it simply easier to say STD.
DSC, DISC, DIS, DISCO etc just sound weird saying them aloud and easily confusing in sentences, and Discovery more syllables than STD.

It's weird you say "STD" in person or when talking. Nobody writes "STTNG" or "STDS9" or "STV". It's TNG, DS9 and VOY. Or, ENT for Enterprise, which is the most analogous to the case with Discovery, the name of the show's titular ship being abbreviated as a three or four letter word. And that's how most people refer to those shows in real life, by their official abbreviations or just their names after "Star Trek", like Voyager, or Enterprise.

So there's no real precedent to go with STD as a logical way of referring to the show, either when talking or writing. The fact you refer to Discovery as "STD'" in your mind isn't an excuse to keep calling it that here, especially after most users here already asked you to stop doing it.

And Dis-co is less syllables than ES-TEE-DEE. And the same as DEE-SEE-CEE.

You very well know that STD is used by detractors to shit on the show and it's not the official way of referring to Discovery.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird you say "STD" in person or when talking. Nobody writes "STTNG" or "STDS9" or "STV". It's TNG, DS9 and VOY. Or, ENT for Enterprise, which is the most analogous to the case with Discovery, the name of the show's titular ship being abbreviated as a three or four letter word. And that's how most people refer to those shows in real life, by their official abbreviations or just their names after "Star Trek", like Voyager, or Enterprise.

So there's no real precedent to go with STD as a logical way of referring to the show, either when talking or writing. The fact you refer to Discovery as "STD'" in your mind isn't an excuse to keep calling it that here, especially after most users here already asked you to stop doing it.

And Dis-co is less syllables than ES-TEE-DEE. And the same as DEE-SEE-CEE.

You very well know that STD is used by detractors to shit on the show and it's not the official way of referring to Discovery.
Enterprise is 3 syllables, Voyager is 3 though many pronounce it just 2. They don't need to be put into letters to easy refer to them. They also cannot be easily confused with other words in context. DIS is fairly common slang for 'this' so I'll never say "Did you watch DIS" because it easily misunderstood. So is "Did you watch Disco" for obvious reasons. STD is short and clear, because "Did you watch STD" has the context to separate it from the other abbreviated use of those letters, they aren't something that are watched.

It pretty immature to get bent out of shape over an abbreviation. Some fans need brush that chip off their shoulder.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like "STD" as Discovery's acronym because I'm juvenile and it made me chuckle when I first saw it. Same with how I call the Xbox One "Xbone". Yes, it's slightly mocking, but I think it's also kind of endearing. People taking the acronyms seriously remind me of the old "GameCube Nintendo" discussions (basically, is Nintendo GameCube supposed to be NGC or GCN?)

On the subject of the acronym debate, I would say that The Original Series never really had an acronym to start with. It was just "Star Trek" to everyone. Star Trek: The Next Generation forced the issue of acronyms, because it's five words long and that's clearly too many, so people abbreviated it to "TNG". And then TNG also had the effect of people saying "Star Trek" and other people asking "which one?" and people responding "I mean Star Trek Star Trek. You know? The original series?" Which caused the "TOS" acronym to get retroactively applied to Star Trek.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was another overlong name, so people slipped right into calling it DS9.

Star Trek: Voyager sort of broke the trend, because the name wasn't overlong. People could just call it "Voyager" and it didn't need any acronym. Although Acronym Finder suggests that "STV" is a frequent acronym of Voyager, and "VOY" is a very frequent acronym of Voyager.
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Star-Trek:-Voyager-(STV).html
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Star-Trek:-Voyager-(VOY).html

Enterprise broke the trend again, because Enterprise wasn't originally called "Star Trek: Enterprise", it was called "Enterprise" for it's first two seasons, and then renamed "Star Trek: Enterprise" for seasons 3&4. Again, I would say that Enterprise hardly needed an abbreviation, and people were still calling it Enterprise even after it was renamed. But one might say that dropping the "Star Trek" and calling it "Enterprise" (as the show's launch) forced some nerds to say that "ENT" was it's abbreviation, which would've pushed "VOY" over "STV" as the appropriate abbreviation for Voyager (trying to create a sense of uniformity).

But Acronym Finder suggests that "ENT" and "STE" are both "very frequent" acronyms for Enterprise. Which is to say, "STE" is more common and popular than "STV".
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Enterprise-(Star-Trek)-(ENT).html
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Star-Trek:-Enterprise-(STE).html

If STV is a valid abbreviation for Voyager, and STE is a common abbreviation for Enterprise, then it's safe to say that "STD" is at least a "valid" abbreviation for Discovery. It's just one that some people find funny, while other people hate it.

And that Voyager/TNG crossover comic looks insane.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Data wasn't the Helmsman though, he was the Operations officer the same as Harry Kim.
Helmsman in TNG was random unnamed redshirt, then Geordi, then Wesley and then random unnamed red shirt again after that.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Is there any kind of consensus as to the best ST books? I read some of the SF Academy and the Shatner books when I was a kid, which looking back on them... lol. I thought about reading some after Enterprise got cancelled and it seemed like there would never be more ST again, but never did.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Is there any kind of consensus as to the best ST books? I read some of the SF Academy and the Shatner books when I was a kid, which looking back on them... lol. I thought about reading some after Enterprise got cancelled and it seemed like there would never be more ST again, but never did.

I don't know if it's just rotten luck but the vast majority of ST books I pick to read have been terribad.

There is one book/series that has excelled, and that's the Myriad Universes collection.

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Myriad_Universes

Each book is three stories, each focusing on an alternate universe where one event got changed. There's a really, really good Voyager one where they don't enter an alliance with the Borg and have to take on Species 8472. Some of the stories fall into the trap of making their universe unrecoverably bad just because there's no lasting consequences to canon but others manage to avoid it.

Tales of the Dominion War is also a good one.

Every single Corps of Engineers book I've read has been unfinishable. Even the author's short story in TotDW was bad and nonsensical.

Star Trek Prometheus is another bad series. When you specifically choose the Prometheus as your hero ship, you need to pick a story that plays to its strengths. You don't pick a plot about suicide bombers, racism, and terrorism.

Overall I really feel that the novels' rigidly consistent metaverse hamstrings the medium. They all pay due diligence to the Typhon Pact, quantum slipstream being everywhere, and all the other cataclysmic galaxy-changing events every author wants to add, leading to a dark grim universe were everything's going to shit and you can't throw a stone without encountering hero character descendants and super-ships.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I started watching Discovery again after falling off when my trial ended. At first, I really disliked the Sarek/Spock connection that Michael had, but 1x06 justified it. It helped expand Sarek's character and his ire for Spock's decision.

It's also the first time a Star Trek show has shown sex and sexuality that felt natural and wasn't completely off-putting.

I've only read A Stitch in Time and that was enjoyable. It's a biographical book on Garak's life based on Andrew Robinson's character notes he wrote during DS9.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished season 1 of Discovery. There were some stumbles especially that ending. God, I hated that. But I enjoyed it overall.

I just really hope season 2 isn't a bunch of TOS fanservice. I know that Spock and Pike are in it so things aren't looking too good, but Sarek and Amanda were handled fine in 1 so I'm going to try to remain optimistic.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished season 1 of Discovery. There were some stumbles especially that ending. God, I hated that. But I enjoyed it overall.

I just really hope season 2 isn't a bunch of TOS fanservice. I know that Spock and Pike are in it so things aren't looking too good, but Sarek and Amanda were handled fine in 1 so I'm going to try to remain optimistic.
Pike is amazing, perfect casting

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
https://deadline.com/2019/03/santia...-luc-picard-series-cbs-all-access-1202569185/

No details are being revealed about the characters Cabrera and Hurd are playing, but I hear Cabrera will play the pilot of Picard's ship who also is a skillful thief. Hurd is playing a former intelligence officer who is a brilliant analyst with a terrific memory that has not been affected by her drug and alcohol abuse.

That sounds fucking awful.
Why does Star Trek suddenly have to be all dark and full of tragedy?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
https://deadline.com/2019/03/santia...-luc-picard-series-cbs-all-access-1202569185/

No details are being revealed about the characters Cabrera and Hurd are playing, but I hear Cabrera will play the pilot of Picard's ship who also is a skillful thief. Hurd is playing a former intelligence officer who is a brilliant analyst with a terrific memory that has not been affected by her drug and alcohol abuse.

Yeah, I read those descriptions and my interest in the series plummeted. I'll still give it a shot but man, it sounds really bad.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I wouldn't put too much thought to these descriptions. Characters are depicted over the course of a 10-hour series, not just a pithy one-line statement. Give the writers and actors a chance to do their job.

You could probably make lots of great characters sound stupid this way: a young leader and former terrorist who struggles within the confines of the new order she helped bring about while wrestling with her devotion to her faith. etc.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Clearly DS9 never dabbled with addiction {Garak, The Wire} or the dark underbelly of the Orion Syndicate {Billby)
Enterprise never dealt with depression and loss {Trip, The Expanse}
TNG dealt with rape {Troi, Nemesis}
Voyager had its own issues

Acting like the future was always polished towers of glass with joy everywhere is inaccurate.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA

I mean, things haven't been going too hot for the federation over the last 20-30 years, they basically just got done fighting 2 wars back to back, and now they've had to deal with an entire major power in their sector of space becoming fragmented. That's gonna affect people deeply, look at any other example throughout history and you'll see similar slumps.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, things haven't been going too hot for the federation over the last 20-30 years, they basically just got done fighting 2 wars back to back, and now they've had to deal with an entire major power in their sector of space becoming fragmented. That's gonna affect people deeply, look at any other example throughout history and you'll see similar slumps.
The end of Voyager showed that the Federation was recovering quite well from the Dominion war really, and by the time of Nemesis they seemed to be more or less recovered. Their alliance with the Klingon Empire was stronger than ever, relations with the Romulans were likely improved by the war and the Cardassians were becoming a more peaceful democratic society. Not to mention the Borg were given a massive set back by Voyager.

The destruction of Romulas isn't likely to impact the Federation all that much beside a lot of resources being diverted towards humanitarian relief efforts, unless they go all Star Trek Online and the Federation try to stop the Klingons from conquering the Romulans and Martok is ousted as emperor.