• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
First Contact explains it a bit better, Picard/Locutus was intended to be a counterpart/equal to the Borg Queen, hence being the only Borg with a name rather than a number.

Plus less resistance would mean more people/ships/technology to assimilate.
I guess that makes a little more sense, I guess I should rewatch First Contact (UGH)

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I finished reading the first Typhon Pact book the other day. I thought it was pretty good. Nice to finally get more information on the Breen as a society and also see Bashir & Sarina Douglas working with Starfleet Security. Didn't quite grab me as any of the Destiny trilogy books did but still enjoyable.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah hopefully they give us a better effort....and speaking of...

Someone in that twitter thread asked, if the blue walls were supposed to be blue screen for the SFX department to put in space windows, then why was the floor green during production?

6qHZhTX.jpg

But I thought the answer to that was obvious.

There's really no difference between green screen and blue screen. They're interchangable. Nobody in the VFX department would say "Blue screen? Yuck. I'm on team green." And using both green and blue screen at the same time makes it easy to keep track of which special effect goes where. The windows are blue. Outer space needs to go there. The floor is green. Fake depth needs to go there.

Y59Yx4q.jpg

- Step one. Isolate all the green and make fake depth. Also paint some more blue into the fake depth, for the windows that will exist in that depth. If you see some bits of green anywhere, it means you missed a spot. Don't pay any attention to the blue while making the fake depth, green is your workspace.

- Step two. Turn all the blue into space windows. Since the fake depth artists added blue for more windows, the space effect will look consistent across the real and fake parts of the picture and will help tie the whole illusion together.

It breaks up the chores into smaller, more manageable tasks, instead of just spraying a bunch of green paint everywhere and asking the VFX department to fix the whole movie all at once.

And then, doing it this way made it so that someone was able to see the half-finished product and say "You know, it looks kind of nice with blue walls. Do we really need windows?"

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Watched the DS9 episode Little Green Men the other day. With it being a comedy time travel episode I think it would have been the perfect time to bring back the weird time travel effects from Star Trek 4 with the floating heads and replaced them with Quark, Rom and Nog.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
First look at the 2019 Hallmark ornament lineup.

1S6X9Jx.jpg

GdFWYqd.jpg

w9tRLXG.jpg

Don't know if I'll get the Enterprise. They've already done a refit Constitution ornament, but the lighting looks better on that one, so maybe.

I've never gotten the statue ornaments.

I will have that tribble.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Sorry to bump up a very old comment about Voyager and saying that Tom Riker should have been a main character:

Last thought... this really should have been the Tom Riker show. A little exposition to get the casuals on board with exactly who Tom is, Tom(renamed of course) Paris and Janeway penal colony conversation is an easy and natural place, or maybe the show starts with his Cardassian jailbreak. They could have used a DS9 for the jailbreak part where Kira makes good on her promise and gets him out and Voyager just starts with Tom back up to his old Maquis tricks. Anyway it's not hard to fit him in there. And the regular acting work would've saved us from Fat Riker in Nemesis where he fights some Reman in a comically lethargic action scene. Incidentally I haven't seen Nemesis since premier day in the theater, and that was the part that stuck most in my memory in a movie that was pretty bad across the board. Frakes didn't put in the treadmill time.

In universe it may have made sense. But the actor had decided he is not a good actor, which is why he has transitioned to directing. So Frakes would probably have turned it down.

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about Tom and B'elannas relationship on Voyager, they are probably my favorite on screen developed relationship. But then I started thinking about other on screen romances in Star Trek and..... TNG had that Troi/Worf thing which was stupid. Then DS9 had Sisko with Kasidy which was ok, and Jax with Worf which was also ok I guess. TOS had nothing, ENT.....T'Pol and Tripp which didn't really go anywhere. Disco has Ash and Michael, which kinda works I guess (Culber and Stamets seem like they'll have to reconnect so that might count). Voyager could have done something cool with the Doctor and Seven, instead they shoehorned that Seven/Checkotay relationship at the end, what a stupid idea. Overall there just isn't a lot of romances in ST in general. Anyways just a random thought I had lol

docyoe

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was just thinking about Tom and B'elannas relationship on Voyager, they are probably my favorite on screen developed relationship. But then I started thinking about other on screen romances in Star Trek and..... TNG had that Troi/Worf thing which was stupid. Then DS9 had Sisko with Kasidy which was ok, and Jax with Worf which was also ok I guess. TOS had nothing, ENT.....T'Pol and Tripp which didn't really go anywhere. Disco has Ash and Michael, which kinda works I guess (Culber and Stamets seem like they'll have to reconnect so that might count). Voyager could have done something cool with the Doctor and Seven, instead they shoehorned that Seven/Checkotay relationship at the end, what a stupid idea. Overall there just isn't a lot of romances in ST in general. Anyways just a random thought I had lol
My favorite one was the relationship between Rom and Leeta such an unlikely pair but it worked ^^

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to bump up a very old comment about Voyager and saying that Tom Riker should have been a main character:
Hey wait you don't have to apologize for replying to me!

In universe it may have made sense. But the actor had decided he is not a good actor, which is why he has transitioned to directing. So Frakes would probably have turned it down.
Sure he's not a great actor but I dunno that series lead paycheck has got to pay pretty good. And is he really that good of a director?

But yeah I don't know if Frakes could carry a show, and they could hardly put him in there as just a supporting player. It's Riker, even if it's fake Riker, they'd have to give him Michael Burnham levels of focus. He could have always taken acting lessons. Expand that repertoire from what's he got... like two modes? Discount Kirk smug-face while he's teasing Worf or some shit, and I AM TALKING LOUDER NOW BECAUSE I AM ANGRY.

I need to give TNG a rewatch after I finish Game of Thrones and DS9, reacquaint myself with the full breadth of Riker.

Geordi/Leah Brahms...oh wait.
Geordi carrying the incel torch well into the 24th century, lol.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
He had a son in the Animated Series didn't he?

Edit - Wait, I'm confusing a novel with the TAS episode where Spock goes back in time to save his younger self.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
I had a long pause on my DS9 watch, but I've grinded out 5 and 6 now...

A few episodes into season 7 though, and it's kinda losing me in the direction it's going. I'm just like "Whaaa?". I don't dislike it by any means, but it may be be losing a tenth of a point or so.

Dax and Sisko specifically.

Oct 25, 2017

A few episodes into season 7 though, and it's kinda losing me in the direction it's going. I'm just like "Whaaa?". I don't dislike it by any means, but it may be be losing a tenth of a point or so.

Oh..not what I thought would be losing you lol, It lost me with the whole Bajoran /Dukat stuff.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Season 7 falls into a weird space. Like they had to find ways to pad out the remainder of the stories which we can talk about when you're finished. But yeah, series 5/6 were the high points.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Only just restarted DS9, having watched it far too long ago.

Like when I rewatched Buffy, I can recall some significant arcs and deaths, but I've forgotten so many bits, it's quite pleasant remembering it all.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I saw Search for Spock on BBA America Friday night. I haven't seen it in years. I know people like to hate on it, but I don't think it's that bad. Of course, it's a step down from Wrath of Khan. I think people would have been disappointed by anything that came after it. The biggest problems I had with it was that Kruge wasn't a very good villain and how they retconned Kirk as the head of the Genesis project and put him in the Genesis overview video so they wouldn't have to pay the actress who played Carol Marcus to reuse the video from Wrath of Khan. The whole movie is worth it just for the sequence where they steal the Enterprise. It was nice to see everyone get to do something for once.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think these days you find a lot more people enjoying Search for Spock. I love it and personally think a lot of the dislike comes way after the fact with people getting swept up in the even/odd theory for Trek films.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's the general concept of Search for Spock that a lot of people have a problem with. The whole "Magic planet brings Spock back to life from lethal radiation poisoning and turns him into a baby and then he ages quickly back to normal but has a psychic connection to the planet and feels its pain" thing is....a bit much, even for Star Trek.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the general concept of Search for Spock that a lot of people have a problem with. The whole "Magic planet brings Spock back to life from lethal radiation poisoning and turns him into a baby and then he ages quickly back to normal but has a psychic connection to the planet and feels its pain" thing is....a bit much, even for Star Trek.
That and it kinda means Vulcans can be immortal if they wanted to.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Anyone else watching First Contact this weekend?

I almost got excited about this, because I could live that long. But then I remembered Trek takes place in a totally alternative universe where, for example, the Eugenics Wars were fought in the 1990s. Heck, they even kept that timeline (instead of bumping it up) for NuTrek.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I almost got excited about this, because I could live that long. But then I remembered Trek takes place in a totally alternative universe where, for example, the Eugenics Wars were fought in the 1990s. Heck, they even kept that timeline (instead of bumping it up) for NuTrek.
Why would they change it?
The new movies have the same timeline up until Kirk is born.

Basically pre-Discovery is identical in both timelines, so Eugenics Wars and events of Enterprise.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Why would they change it?
The new movies have the same timeline up until Kirk is born.

Basically pre-Discovery is identical in both timelines, so Eugenics Wars and events of Enterprise.
Because franchises do it all the time as time progresses. Like Superman wasn't active in the 1940s anymore, because those stories were contemporary when written. Similarly, the 1990s were decades into the future when ToS was written. By updating the timeline to move that stuff in the future, it shifts Trek back into being the potential/hopeful future (as intended) and not an alternative universe story.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Search for Spock on BBA America Friday night. I haven't seen it in years. I know people like to hate on it, but I don't think it's that bad. Of course, it's a step down from Wrath of Khan. I think people would have been disappointed by anything that came after it. The biggest problems I had with it was that Kruge wasn't a very good villain and how they retconned Kirk as the head of the Genesis project and put him in the Genesis overview video so they wouldn't have to pay the actress who played Carol Marcus to reuse the video from Wrath of Khan. The whole movie is worth it just for the sequence where they steal the Enterprise. It was nice to see everyone get to do something for once.
I don't think that was technically a retcon.

Kirk, in Star Trek 2, is fully aware of the Genesis Project and what Dr Marcus is up to, and apparently that's not because she or Chekov told him, but because he was a bored Admiral who googled one of his old girlfriends one day using his work computer, and he watched her project proposal video, which he was technically allowed to watch, because he's an Admiral, and his security clearance is that good. And it's not like Dr Marcus' proposal was that big of a secret, because she was shopping it around, hoping to get funding, which she got by way of Captain Terrell and the USS Reliant.

Khan dragged Kirk into the situation after Chekov namedropped Admiral Kirk, as apparently Admiral Kirk has enough sway that he could insert himself into Project Genesis any time he wanted, and steal the whole thing for nefarious purposes (or at least, most people seem to believe he has that much power). And because Khan namedropped Admiral Kirk, Dr Marcus called Kirk to complain, and Kirk already knew enough to know what Genesis meant when it's Dr Marcus asking about his interference with it.

So Kirk looped Spock and McCoy in on the subject, by using his security clearance to show them her proposal video, as he's apparently allowed to do. Then a bunch of fighting and stuff happened.

Around the start of Star Trek 3, Kirk is making a report to Starfleet about Star Trek 2's events, and he begins his report by saying that the first thing they need to do is get up to speed on Project Genesis, which Kirk summarizes, using bits that he cribbed from Dr Marcus' research proposal video. After hitting "send" on his report, Kirk slowly limps his damaged Enterprise home.

Kirk's report to Starfleet causes chaos, as Starfleet considers the best way to diplomatically handle these events, and the Klingons observe the Starfleet chaos, while at least one of them (Kruge) arranges to steal the source of this chaos (Kirk's report), with the help of his wife, who he kills to ensure the absolute exclusive secrecy of this intel (whatever it happens to be). Kruge interprets Genesis to be a weapon of mass destruction.

As one small part of the Starfleet chaos, after submitting his report, Admiral Kirk repeatedly asked Starfleet over the radio for permission to take over the file on the Genesis planet, but Starfleet went radio silent on Kirk, eventually telling him (in person) that the Genesis situation has shot up the ranks at Starfleet, and now it's very much above even Admiral Kirk's pay grade.

They clearly did it this way because they didn't want to pay the actress, but I think it does make logical sense for the video in Star Trek 3 to be Kirk's up-to-date report of events (which includes an edited portion of Dr Marcus' original video), rather than Dr Marcus' original project proposal video.