• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
CBS: I don't think our offerings are fragmented enough, make it three apps. That's what it means to diversify, right? I read a book once. Well, the back of one.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Cue shitty YouTube hot takes - NETFLIX DISAPPOINTED BY DISCOVERY. WON'T FUND PICARD.

Honestly I would be really interested in finding out why Netflix passed on Picard (if they did, you would think CBS would go to their existing partner first but I don't know for sure). Are they unhappy with the numbers Discovery is getting? Is CBS asking for too much money? Do they just think they don't need 2 Star Trek shows?
Unfortunately we'll probably never know.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm remembering correctly they said several platforms bid on Discovery originally and Netflix won out. The same easily could have happen here with Amazon winning out in their push for more original content for Prime. By Netflix's own reporting Discovery and Star Trek in general is very successful for them.

Could they have passed? Maybe. They have all the Trek series, Discovery and any first look at any direct spin offs from Discovery I believe(Short Treks and the upcoming Section 31. Anything Pike related might very well fall under this as well). The Picard show would be a new contract most likely. With Netflix doing more original content as well they might have thought they had enough. Aren't they suppose to be putting a TON of money into the new season of Lost in Space?

I could see Amazon being very aggressive for this at the same time. CBS All Access is already apart of the Amazon Prime Channels so they would have metrics for Discovery from that I think. All the past series and films are available on Amazon Video and/or apart of Prime too. The series (TOS to Enterprise) are on Amazon, Netflix, and CBSAA. Hadn't realized until recently they were available in multiple places like that. I wonder if they're on any other streaming service.

Still you've have the usually filth on youtube trying again to push the idea that Netflix is unhappy with Discovery, etc when it couldn't be further from the truth.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
What We Left Behind is a great love letter to DS9, particularly the HD remastered footage of like 20 minutes of footage from the show (they tried to recreate one of the battles in CG which was fine I suppose, but Indiegogo budget).

I think the things that got me were the Michael Pillar eulogy and Terry Ferrell having a chance to talk about how she felt screwed by the producers. It's clearly still a sore point for her, and they for the most part just let her talk about it and didn't try to counter her statement.

Seeing Behr and co sit in a room to try to come up with a new season of DS9 was hilarious though. I think I would have been fine with a documentary that was just about their day together coming up with such a wacky episode (considering we live in a post-Discovery world now).

Oh, I'm also glad Behr was ready to admit that Rejoined wasn't some groundbreaking moment for Trek that absolves the franchise for ignoring queer characters during the 90s. It was a hamfisted moment in the documentary, but at least it wasn't masturbatory with self-congratulations.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
I just got back from the documentary too. Very celebratory, not much inside baseball aside from the little bit about Terry Farrell talking her contract dispute - no details, just how she felt. The bit about Far Beyond the Stars was good, and they teased some stuff about Trials and Tribble-ations in the Blu-ray extras.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I just got back from the documentary too. Very celebratory, not much inside baseball aside from the little bit about Terry Farrell talking her contract dispute - no details, just how she felt. The bit about Far Beyond the Stars was good, and they teased some stuff about Trials and Tribble-ations in the Blu-ray extras.
They must have a lot of footage they didn't use. It does make me wish someone would pay to do the HD though. Dump it on All Access or something.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
I remember reading something about how, in addition to being expensive, a full DS9 and VOY HD remaster would be difficult because the original effects files either were lost or in an unusable format (or something to that effect). Is that true, or am I remembering wrong?

Jan 29, 2018
To be honest I didn't even notice that the remastered footage was remastered (aside from the remastered cg space battle, which looked nice but not mind blowing). It wasn't like the first time I saw TNG on blu ray.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading something about how, in addition to being expensive, a full DS9 and VOY HD remaster would be difficult because the original effects files either were lost or in an unusable format (or something to that effect). Is that true, or am I remembering wrong?
That's part of it because they moved away from practical to CG effects at the time. For the documentary they basically tried redoing this scene in HD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoIFUJxJwcQ
ytma!▶DS9: Sacrifice of Angels Fleet Battle (3:18)The Battle to retake Deep Space Nine

And they redid all the ships in CG which was basically video game level. For it to look good, I'm assuming a lot more time and money.

To be honest I didn't even notice that the remastered footage was remastered (aside from the remastered cg space battle, which looked nice but not mind blowing). It wasn't like the first time I saw TNG on blu ray.
Haha, yeah me neither. I think it's because it was a few scenes out of context and I was more invested in the actual documentary than the footage.

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
I loved the documentary. I get that the space scenes basically make a full remaster impossible, but damn the quality improvement was great for the scenes on the station. The sets, the colors, the flashing lights in the scene with Kira and Quark at the end of Emissary, I didn't know that was even happening until seeing it in HD.

The joke during the credits about the most important scene, omg lol.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To break it down.

The shows were filmed on 35mm film, which is great for transferring to HD resolution.
However, for TV they were transferred down to NTSC SD resolution. It is there at that resolution visual effects were created and applied.

No HD version of the CGI or other effects exist.

So they have two choices.

1. Try and upscale the SD TV shows (terrible idea).
2. Do what they did for TNG, go back to 35mm negatives, transfer to HD resolution and edit them to match the original broadcasts perfectly (huge task).
They would also have to perfectly recreate every visual effect using CGI and edit them into the newly transferred edits from above (another huge and also costly task). It would look amazing though.

Unfortunately with the drop in physical sales due to streaming services it isn't seen as a worthwhile cost, and selling to streaming services will not cover it either.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To break it down.

The shows were filmed on 35mm film, which is great for transferring to HD resolution.
However, for TV they were transferred down to NTSC SD resolution. It is there at that resolution visual effects were created and applied.

2. Do what they did for TNG, go back to 35mm negatives, transfer to HD resolution and edit them to match the original broadcasts perfectly (huge task).
They would also have to perfectly recreate every visual effect using CGI and edit them into the newly transferred edits from above (another huge and also costly task). It would look amazing though.

Unfortunately with the drop in physical sales due to streaming services it isn't seen as a worthwhile cost, and selling to streaming services will not cover it either.
Imagine that was a streaming exclusive for CBS

Oct 25, 2017
To break it down.

I'm still shocked they went through all that trouble for TNG but since it's my favorite show of all time I'm really thankful they did.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
To break it down.

Thank you, that was quite informative!

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Shocked it's not on Netflix. Wow.

Also Canada fucked again by Bell.

Yikes. I wouldn't want it on Prime. I'd have to buy that. It's on Cable unlike every other country in the world and on a streaming service, like every other country in the world. Best of both worlds.

Honestly I'm pretty ok with it continuing on Crave because my parents get Crave for free with their cable subscription and I refuse to support Amazon more than necessary so for me it's *thumbs up*

Amazon is worse than Bell.

Honestly I would be really interested in finding out why Netflix passed on Picard (if they did, you would think CBS would go to their existing partner first but I don't know for sure). Are they unhappy with the numbers Discovery is getting? Is CBS asking for too much money? Do they just think they don't need 2 Star Trek shows?
Unfortunately we'll probably never know.
I wonder if they are going to move Disco to Amazon for next season

Yeah. I'm really interested to see if it stays split or all goes to Prime.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. They kinda look similar to what was in the Countdown comic as well I think.

star-trek-countdown-captain-data.jpg

Could be actually. Kurtzman is involved with this one, right? So he might move to canonise his stuff

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Well that's the least creative name that they could have come up with for the show.
Hopefully it's good.

The show about Deep Space Nine is called Deep Space Nine.
The show about Voyager is called Voyager.
The show about Enterprise is called Enterprise.
The show about Discovery is called Discovery.
The show about Picard is called Picard.

Only TOS and TNG break the pattern. And they were both about the Starfleet flag sheet Enterprise. None of the others were. (Enterprise was pre-Starfleet, right? Aren't they an Earth ship or something?)

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The show about Deep Space Nine is called Deep Space Nine.
The show about Voyager is called Voyager.
The show about Enterprise is called Enterprise.
The show about Discovery is called Discovery.
The show about Picard is called Picard.

Only TOS and TNG break the pattern. And they were both about the Starfleet flag sheet Enterprise. None of the others were. (Enterprise was pre-Starfleet, right? Aren't they an Earth ship or something?)

Yeah. Enterprise the series is about the adventurers of the United Earth ship NX-01 Enterprise, during the years preceding the foundation of the United Federation of Planets. Involved a dose of retcons over being the 'first' Enterprise.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Was Kirk's Enterprise really the flagship?

Originally? No. It was just another incidental part of the fleet, though of a rarer class of ship. Same way the US Enterprises were important, but not strictly 'the flagship'. Since Enterprise (the show) retconned in the sheer importance the NX-01 has in founding the Federation, it is a casually assumed headcanon.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I finished watching TOS a few months ago and don't remember flagship being mentioned. The way the crew gets treated in the TOS movies doesn't feel like Flagship status either. Maybe in the assumed five year mission between TMP and Wrath of Kahn, but after that it's a training ship, in mothballs and then blown up.

I feel like I should apologize for being pedantic, but I guess that's kind of the call of duty for a ST fan.