• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough I find such a position on a ship lost in deep space very important.

Oh, an ACTUAL morale officer with mental health credentials would probably be a good thing to have. A random alien you picked up on the way to getting stranded? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

(I'm only half-serious, in an actual stranded-in-the-Delta-Quadrant situation I'm sure you'd take all the help you could get, but you probably also wouldn't have 400 shuttles and an unlimited supply of photon torpedoes, so let's just say I don't think the show did a great job of justifying Neelix's importance and leave it at that)

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, an ACTUAL morale officer with mental health credentials would probably be a good thing to have. A random alien you picked up on the way to getting stranded? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

(I'm only half-serious, in an actual stranded-in-the-Delta-Quadrant situation I'm sure you'd take all the help you could get, but you probably also wouldn't have 400 shuttles and an unlimited supply of photon torpedoes, so let's just say I don't think the show did a great job of justifying Neelix's importance and leave it at that)
20 years of the stupid shuttle and torpedo comments.

We literally see them build a shuttle in a week and trade and even search for their own supplies for new resources. It's on the screen, it's not like some mystery unanswered question.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OK, but at the same time they can replicate shuttle parts, we see on screen that they can't replicate anything and are heavily rationed. So it contradicts itself. That's worth making fun of.

Oct 25, 2017
the only time heavy rations comes up is when they aren't in friendly areas or haven't seen a planet that's advanced enough to provide them with supplies.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
20 years of the stupid shuttle and torpedo comments.

We literally see them build a shuttle in a week and trade and even search for their own supplies for new resources. It's on the screen, it's not like some mystery unanswered question.

I'm not saying they never do this, I'm saying that whatever it is they're doing isn't really that different from normal operations in the Federation proper, aside from a few episodes that are among my favourite Voyager episodes (Year of Hell, anyone?). The Equinox had to sell their souls to stay afloat; granted, it was a smaller and less capable ship, but it's an issue that rarely comes up in Voyager.

Anyways, my point was that the show didn't really sell the whole survival angle very much, which meant Neelix becoming the chef and morale officer less about the ship's needs and more about Neelix's need to feel like he contributes to the ship and isn't just a freeloader.

To be fair, I think there were a few episodes that tried to treat Neelix's morale officer duties as more than light comic relief.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neelix being chef was a need, a lot of Voyagers food was grown, found on planets or traded for, so obviously someone needed prepare meals from it.

Just a little error, in one DS9 episode they are on an Intrepid class ship and it has a kitchen area in the mess hall. This is an error as that area should be the Captains private dining area, Voyager's was converted due to need. I assume they just reused sets.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
This Tuvix thing is an example of what Discovery lacks. 20 years give or take after the episode aired we're still debating the core philosophical issue. Who will be talking about any Discovery episode we've seen so far after twenty years?
I have the same feeling, I barely remember any episodes of Discovery individually. Seeing Voyager again now confirms this idea and it's much better than I thought. I really hope Picard will come back to that old Trek feeling.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same feeling, I barely remember any episodes of Discovery individually. Seeing Voyager again now confirms this idea and it's much better than I thought. I really hope Picard will come back to that old Trek feeling.
The fact that it's a serialized miniseries means it probably won't be.

That's not to say that it couldn't be... but they are clearly going more for Star Trek Insurrection than they are All Good Things. lol

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Picard gonna be like STD only without all the screwing up of canon (though I bet they reference/ignore something wrong). My one hope is Patrick Stewart and to a lesser extent other returning Trek cast not joining in on STDs "It's the power of math" bullshit. Patrick Stewart elevates TNG so much.

I'm also weirdly hyped for the return of RomBops.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
The fact that it's a serialized miniseries means it probably won't be.

That's not to say that it couldn't be... but they are clearly going more for Star Trek Insurrection than they are All Good Things. lol

At least they should keep the TNG spirit if we can' t have the original format.
But that is not a reason to make it a kind of convention with the old actors. The good news is that we are moving forward into the future, thank God, I can't take it any more prequel.

I dunno. The episode with Pike and the time crystal was pretty good.

I would have preferred an reverse tachyon beam rather than a Time Crystal-based plot.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Time Crystals are an actual thing, even if how they're used beyond their first appearance doesn't line up with the real world inspiration.

Oct 25, 2017
I did like the tiny call back to Janeway and the Klingon time travel device in Endgame, although I don't know if it was intentional lol Probably not

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Reminder that Time Crystals are an actual thing, even if how they're used beyond their first appearance doesn't line up with the real world inspiration.

I don't deny their scientific existence (even if, as you said, that's not exactly what it is), but the way they are presented bothers me a little: arranged like mushrooms on rock. "Touch the magic crystal and you'll see the future."

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I don't deny their scientific existence (even if, as you said, that's not exactly what it is), but the way they are presented bothers me a little: arranged like mushrooms on rock. "Touch the magic crystal and you'll see the future."

Hence the latter part of my post.

I'm actually curious if the writers in season 2 thought they were something that had been created for the franchise. Because their first appearance is very much an exaggeration of their actual properties - existing in a constant loop and all - and in that individual episode, you do half suspect it's just meant to be some particle that Mudd is carrying in his gadget, not some priceless gem you'd have to smuggle out of the most sacred Klingon monastery.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It kinda hilarious it is so out of whack with the rest of the shows they have to try and say this.

That top reply made me chuckle.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I just watched the first DS9 mirror universe episode. Absolutely brilliant, even if it is campy. I wonder what a TNG Mirror Mirror sequel would have been like. I'm torn- on the one hand I'd like to see it, but I'm also so happy with the DS9 mirror story line that I wouldn't want a TNG episode to come first and change things.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the first DS9 mirror universe episode. Absolutely brilliant, even if it is campy. I wonder what a TNG Mirror Mirror sequel would have been like. I'm torn- on the one hand I'd like to see it, but I'm also so happy with the DS9 mirror story line that I wouldn't want a TNG episode to come first and change things.
I could get behind an animated mirror TNG one shot

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Oh that's a great idea! I think it would be best if it was a completely in-mirror universe episode, as in Enterprise, rather than a cross over.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
This will serve as the fourth movie in the cinematic series, and is separate from another "Star Trek" pic that Paramount is developing with Quentin Tarantino producing and Mark L. Smith writing.

What the fuck is even happening with that other one.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever they end up doing I hope they have their expectations in check and hire a more competent marking team.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I'd like to see Tarantino's movie too. But I'll take Hawley's movie on the strength of Fargo Season 2 alone. Get Ted Danson in there.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i hope once the merge is complete they cancel it cause legion outside of season 1 was terrible that's not even adding the fact that his first movie was pure garbage if the review is to be believed...

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pine wanted more than they were willing to pay. Wtf they gonna do with the Captain absent, some not Enterprise movie?

Or did they cough up the cash?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it'll be a JJverse TNG with a totally new cast playing Picard and co?
I could actually go for that.
I was going to post a James McAvoy as Picard picture but to my amazement there are only 3 really awful photoshop attempts (and two are in Ent B era uniforms).

But then I found this.
James-McAvoy-chcialby-zagrac-mlodego-Picarda-w-nowym-serialu-Star-Trek_article.webp