• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So what happened in the Kelvinverse comics that meant the Federation wasn't around by TNG-era?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
A quick read through the Wiki, it looks like that was all basically alternate future shenanigans that are no longer going to happen?

Yeah, this was Q vs the Pah-Wraiths for some reason or another, and so he reset everything by the end. It was technically a crossover between the main and Kelvinverse timelines too.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A quick read through the Wiki, it looks like that was all basically alternate future shenanigans that are no longer going to happen?
Nah. It says that Q in the Prime Timeline appears before Picard, and informs him that the Kelvin Timeline has been created by the new JJ movies. And this is a problem, because the Kelvin Timeline is 100% doomed. Picard tells Q to blow off, because Picard isn't interested.

Then Q goes back in time and across to the Kelvin Timeline, and grabs Kelvin Timeline Kirk and the rest of the JJ-movie-Enterprise crew. He throws Kirk and company into "the future" (the TNG/DS9 era) of the Kelvin Timeline, ostensibly to teach Kirk a lesson about the no-win scenario (not really, Q just wants Kirk's help in solving his own no-win scenario).

In the future of the Kelvin Timeline, the Dominion showed up early for some reason (not really a stretch, considering that the Kelvin Federation bumped into Khan ahead of schedule and was building super-starships to crash into San Fransisco and whatnot), and the Dominion rolled the Cardassians/Bajorans. The Klingons and Romulans declared war with the Dominion, while the Federation tried and failed to negotiate peace. The Dominion blows up Romulus with Red Matter (wait, I though that Romulus was already doomed to die by supernova, also, Vulcan is already blowed-up with Red Matter in the Kelvin Timeline), so the Klingons change gears and invade/destroy the Federation, and then the Klingon/Dominion hostilities cool off for a while.

With no Federation presence on Bajor, the Prophets lose their war with the Pah-Wraiths, and then the Pah-Wraiths destroy the Q Continuum, and then the universe is destroyed in the Kelvin Timeline (and maybe all timelines?).

After seeing all of this, Spock suggests that Q should do the Fusion Dance with a surviving Prophet, and Q becomes Super-Prophet-Q and defeats the Pah-Wraiths. The future of the Kelvin Timeline is saved. The universe will not be destroyed by the Pah-Wraiths. But that's the extent of their victory. The Federation remains destroyed. This is allegedly the real canon future of the Kelvin Timeline. Vulcan stays blowed-up. Romulus gets blowed-up by Dominion Red Matter this time, not a supernova. Earth gets conquered by the Klingons (because of the Dominion's early arrival).

Q returns Kirk and company to their own time, and wipes everyone's memories except for Kirk and Spock. So... maybe Kirk and Spock can somehow use their knowledge of the future to change the future? Or not. Maybe the Federation is simply screwed in the TNG/DS9 era of the Kelvin Timeline.

Also note, Bob Orci apparently helped write this comic, so it's 100% Kelvin Timeline approved!

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It says that Q in the Prime Timeline appears before Picard, and informs him that the Kelvin Timeline has been created by the new JJ movies. And this is a problem, because the Kelvin Timeline is 100% doomed. Picard tells Q to blow off, because Picard isn't interested.

Then Q goes back in time and across to the Kelvin Timeline, and grabs Kelvin Timeline Kirk and the rest of the JJ-movie-Enterprise crew. He throws Kirk and company into "the future" (the TNG/DS9 era) of the Kelvin Timeline, ostensibly to teach Kirk a lesson about the no-win scenario (not really, Q just wants Kirk's help in solving his own no-win scenario).

In the future of the Kelvin Timeline, the Dominion showed up early for some reason (not really a stretch, considering that the Kelvin Federation bumped into Khan ahead of schedule and was building super-starships to crash into San Fransisco and whatnot), and the Dominion rolled the Cardassians/Bajorans. The Klingons and Romulans declared war with the Dominion, while the Federation tried and failed to negotiate peace. The Dominion blows up Romulus with Red Matter (wait, I though that Romulus was already doomed to die by supernova, also, Vulcan is already blowed-up with Red Matter in the Kelvin Timeline), so the Klingons change gears and invade/destroy the Federation, and then the Klingon/Dominion hostilities cool off for a while.

With no Federation presence on Bajor, the Prophets lose their war with the Pah-Wraiths, and then the Pah-Wraiths destroy the Q Continuum, and then the universe is destroyed in the Kelvin Timeline (and maybe all timelines?).

After seeing all of this, Spock suggests that Q should do the Fusion Dance with a surviving Prophet, and Q becomes Super-Prophet-Q and defeats the Pah-Wraiths. The future of the Kelvin Timeline is saved. The universe will not be destroyed by the Pah-Wraiths. But that's the extent of their victory. The Federation remains destroyed. This is allegedly the real canon future of the Kelvin Timeline. Vulcan stays blowed-up. Romulus gets blowed-up by Dominion Red Matter this time, not a supernova. Earth gets conquered by the Klingons (because of the Dominion's early arrival).

Q returns Kirk and company to their own time, and wipes everyone's memories except for Kirk and Spock. So... maybe Kirk and Spock can somehow use their knowledge of the future to change the future? Or not. Maybe the Federation is simply screwed in the TNG/DS9 era of the Kelvin Timeline.

Also note, Bob Orci apparently helped write this comic, so it's 100% Kelvin Timeline approved!
that sounds like a giant mess

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
How could you have all that prophet and pah wraith story without the sisko? SMH. Not to mention Keiko commanding the defiant

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I've never read the recent novels, but does it really sound all that different from the Federation falling because 50 Borg cubes invaded the Alpha Quadrant? lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The only ones that seem to fit what you are saying are the Destiny trilogy and the Federation never fell after that. Good books though, I'd recommend reading them.
Didn't the Borg like almost destroy the Federation and then the Romulans teamed up with the Cardassians to try to finish them off or something?

I suppose STO treats all that as canon and that is apparently set after those events, so I guess it was all fine...

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the Borg like almost destroy the Federation and then the Romulans teamed up with the Cardassians to try to finish them off or something?

I suppose STO treats all that as canon and that is apparently set after those events, so I guess it was all fine...

Nope. STO specifically branches off from before the Destiny books. The Borg returning in the game is the first time they've been seen since the end of Voyager, in the game timeline.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

STO is its own continuity, as are the books.

Though STO does steal stuff from the books.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...
They were preparing for the supernova a year ahead of time? And couldn't get most people off planet before then?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
well i hope they show it in the show i really like that class

Well, while it'd be a few years ahead of schedule as versus STO, it kinda seems obvious as a marketing ploy to have 'the new Enterprise' turn up at the end of the season (ie, same as in Discovery).

Wait...
They were preparing for the supernova a year ahead of time? And couldn't get most people off planet before then?

And this is... actually curious. Because Hobus went off in 2387, yet the opening scene here has it be 2386, and the bit with Geordi 2385. So either there's a minor retcon involving when the star went boom, or I feel like there's going to be some kind of political snafu on Picard's part that had some consequences. His mention of the Senate not banning him yet indicates he's stepping on their toes in some fashion they don't like.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, while it'd be a few years ahead of schedule as versus STO, it kinda seems obvious as a marketing ploy to have 'the new Enterprise' turn up at the end of the season (ie, same as in Discovery).

And this is... actually curious. Because Hobus went off in 2387, yet the opening scene here has it be 2386, and the bit with Geordi 2385. So either there's a minor retcon involving when the star went boom, or I feel like there's going to be some kind of political snafu on Picard's part that had some consequences. His mention of the Senate not banning him yet indicates he's stepping on their toes in some fashion they don't like.
Picard isn't on the Enterprise here. He's on another ship and the Enterprise has a "new" Captain. It's definitely there E still at this stage, but I suspect that it'll be destroyed as part of this comic arc.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Picard isn't on the Enterprise here. He's on another ship and the Enterprise has a "new" Captain. It's definitely there E still at this stage, but I suspect that it'll be destroyed as part of this comic arc.

To clarify, I'm thinking this would be foreshadowing the appearance of the Enterprise F in the Picard show, while the comic might limit it to either the model cameo, or a sister ship of the same class - perhaps a prototype Odyssey. It might equally just be the bridge design, because well, easier to pull that up as a quick reference than design one from scratch.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the star trek episode of the toys that made us, that was really great and hilarious how awful their toys used to be. I really wish there were more star trek toys available, surprisingly Montana has a lot of star trek toys, I've seen a ton at wal-mart and target. Not so much here in So. Cal.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the star trek episode of the toys that made us, that was really great and hilarious how awful their toys used to be. I really wish there were more star trek toys available, surprisingly Montana has a lot of star trek toys, I've seen a ton at wal-mart and target. Not so much here in So. Cal.

I was impressed by the breadth and drastically varying quality level of the Star Trek toys they have at the Museum of the Moving Image. Someone must have donated someone's closet because it's huge.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
STO stuff mixing isn't too outlandish. CBS has always worked very closely with The Dev team. STO stuff will never happen with Movie stuff but TV wise CBS can pull from STO for designs etc. freely

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
STO stuff mixing isn't too outlandish. CBS has always worked very closely with The Dev team. STO stuff will never happen with Movie stuff but TV wise CBS can pull from STO for designs etc. freely
STO stuff won't be used for TV stuff either, if we see the Enterprise F (although there's no reason not to reuse the E if they want an Enterprise) it'll be a new design.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'm the 2009 Countdown and STO Data was Captain of the Enterprise which was in service for 36 years

That's not very old for a starship, they don't all blow up in the first decade.
On the other hand we're talking about the Federation flagship that's almost constantly going into the unknown. It's probably the most likely ship in Starfleet to get destroyed or damaged beyond repair.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty cool, just met a guy working in production for Disco S3. He said he's going to be working on the Section 31 show as soon as its complete and he's hoping the whole crew is going to be transferred over from Disco.

I hadn't heard any news on S31 in a while.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone read the Picard comic? It was good first issue, I'm interested in seeing where it goes
Finally some positivity in the thread. I just read it, had good fun seeing how Picard is working and we are definitely going to see the Enterprise E again. Geordi had a model of that and the Odyssey class Verity has the same registry as the Odyssey (NCC 97000) from STO even though it rolled out years before 2409.