• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
No, we need to do what the UK did in the 90s with 6 months of weekly DS9 episodes followed by 6 months of Voyager episodes, repeated for like 6 years in a row. With a few movies here and there.

A new episode of Trek, every week, for 6 years.

That's basically what CBS is working towards between all of the different new ST shows.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wait, Children of Mars was meant to be set post-Nemesis? Despite, y'know, everything outside of Picard's namedrop.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's still very early and it doesn't sound like anything has really been decided, more that there are no assumptions or requirements that this movie has to continue from where the last one left off. What that actually ends up becoming is still anyone's guess, though if you really pushed me I would assume there will still be a ship called Enterprise in it.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is kind of interesting - apparently the upcoming Star Trek movie may not feature the established Kelvin cast. The AV Club's image has the D, but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that the movie will take a Next Gen style jump.

Is this new news enough for a new thread? There's not a lot there.
Can't see Bad Robot or Paramount CBS doing that tbh. Now that Trek is under one banner again you're going to see something familiar, but tied into stuff we've seen before. There's no appetite for a brand new crew in a feature when the audiences have so many fun, familiar people to tune into.
Trek has long been about the characters and you can't just plug people into a big budget feature and expect it to fly.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be weird to have a singular movie that's not tied to any prior characters or story lines, not that i'm against it, if it's good by all means.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on board with the idea of a new cast, but it should be different characters, not *another* recast of the same characters.

They should drive a truck full of money to Avery Brooks' house and ask him to return as Sisko.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Though to be fair, I can't imagine that the proposed Quentin Tarantino Trek movie would've used existing characters, and that was entertained for a hilariously long time.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They should reboot it again and just insist it's in the same universe, Disco style.

Let us all share the pain.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a bombcastic modern hollywood reboot of TNG would be a fun trainwreck.

Give me Dwayne The Rock Johnson as Jean-Luc Picard

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's a bunch of recurring actors, Jeffrey Combs, James Cromwell, Clint Howard a loads more.

I wouldn't expect any of them to be cast as Picard though.
I'd sooner see Tom Hardy come back but would rather see a combined Voyager, DS9 and TNG movie.

even throw Disco Pike in there at the start to set up the mystery and I'd be sold like a good version of what Generations should have been with one story in the TOS era and one in TNG

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd sooner see Tom Hardy come back but would rather see a combined Voyager, DS9 and TNG movie.

even throw Disco Pike in there at the start to set up the mystery and I'd be sold like a good version of what Generations should have been with one story in the TOS era and one in TNG
Yeah my Stathem suggestion was not serious. Tom Hardy or James MacAvoy would work. I like the idea of bringing them all together, but I would be very upset if Avery Brooks did not participate.

Hard to imagine them being able to do a Star Trek Greatest Hits movie that was true to the characters, accessible to a mainstream audience, and a good story in it's own right, but maybe it could happen.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assholes on the youtube when Discovery finally ends after 7 series.

"WHAT A UNSUCCESSFUL FAILURE"

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018

At the moment they appear to be having fits over the Variety Interview with Sir Patrick Stewart. Lots of video proclaiming that it's destroying 'Roddenberry's vision' and how it will be a disaster.

The Production Weekly listing also has something called "Wind Cleaver" as being in production. A deleted post on reddit claimed that "Wind cleaver" was the shooting code name for the Section 31 show.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are you guys even seeing those youtubers? I watch plenty of Trek stuff on YouTube but it never recommends those type vids.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of, Chrome suggested a Youtube video in my news feed about how Picard "destroys Roddenberry's vision."
Chrome y u do dis, I've never even watched a video like that.
At the moment they appear to be having fits over the Variety Interview with Sir Patrick Stewart. Lots of video proclaiming that it's destroying 'Roddenberry's vision' and how it will be a disaster.
What exactly did he say that threw these people into a hissy fit?

Last edited:

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
Speaking of, Chrome suggested a Youtube video in my news feed about how Picard "destroys Roddenberry's vision."
Chrome y u do dis, I've never even watched a video like that.

What exactly did he say that threw these people into a hissy fit?

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/patrick-stewart-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-1203459573/

"In a way, the world of 'Next Generation' had been too perfect and too protected," he says. "It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun." In "Picard," the Federation — a union of planets bonded by shared democratic values — has taken an isolationist turn. The new show, Stewart says, "was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, 'Why hasn't the Federation changed? Why hasn't Starfleet changed?' Maybe they're not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought."

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's not like the seeds of this stuff wasn't already planted all the way back in the 90s, DS9 dealt with the Federation not being as perfect as we once thought pretty heavily.

Yes, after hundreds of hours of Star Trek episodes presenting an enlightened Federation, the creators wisely decided that it was time to test those ideals under extreme circumstances. It was a good time for something different. How long has it been since we last saw that original status of the Federation?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Give the way CBS has quadrupled down on Star Trek I'm pretty sure that Discovery is literally the only successful thing on All Access and sub numbers have a huge drop once the season ends.
Of course there's different levels of success, a success by the standards of CBS All Access probably isn't the same as Netflix, or Amazon Prime, or probably even Disney+.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Give the way CBS has quadrupled down on Star Trek I'm pretty sure that Discovery is literally the only successful thing on All Access and sub numbers have a huge drop once the season ends.
Of course there's different levels of success, a success by the standards of CBS All Access probably isn't the same as Netflix, or Amazon Prime, or probably even Disney+.
It's weird that they still don't have more shows. I assume they probably thought there was more value in the CBS catalogue than there actually is. lol

That said, I had always said CW would be the only hope that is viable for TV Trek, but if they're going to keep running this vanity network and can start dumping Paramount content there as well, I assume Star Trek will last as long as an executive sees value in owning a platform as opposed to licensing it all back out to Netflix.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that they still don't have more shows. I assume they probably thought there was more value in the CBS catalogue than there actually is. lol

That said, I had always said CW would be the only hope that is viable for TV Trek, but if they're going to keep running this vanity network and can start dumping Paramount content there as well, I assume Star Trek will last as long as an executive sees value in owning a platform as opposed to licensing it all back out to Netflix.

Yeah it's going to an annoying few years for streaming content with everyone wanting to have their own streaming services. I imagine in a few years a lot of them will be struggling to get the sub numbers needed for their content spend to make sense and just go back to licensing out their stuff to bigger players in the market. CBS All Access is one I could see that happening to if nothing catches on besides Star Trek. It obviously depends on a lot of things like overseas licensing revenue but I'm sure it's not going to be cheap to make a bunch of Star Trek shows, especially if they're pretty high budget like Discovery.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that is not sounding as good as I was hoping Picard would be. It just sounds very.....Discovery.

Though at least we know the Federation will pull back around to becoming it's actual self again afterwards.
Well if you want TNG there's a whole seven seasons of that. They have talked about what this show is for the past year and a half and the trailers would show you a serialised story.

narrative television is the norm now because there's no need to be able to sell a show into syndication.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that is not sounding as good as I was hoping Picard would be. It just sounds very.....Discovery.

Though at least we know the Federation will pull back around to becoming it's actual self again afterwards.

Regardless of one's view on it, it does very much seem to be that the current meta theme of the franchise is questioning the validity of its utopian ideals. Even if the end seems to be about the notion that yes, this future is worth fighting for, it works from the outset that the idealised future we're familiar has become increasingly unrealistic.

For Stewart I imagine this matter is particularly personal; twice now he has put his faith in the appeal of multicultural, inclusive ideals, and whether from the quirk of political systems, or just the straight numbers, that has been rejected by the entities that he would see as most approximating the Federation. So it's likely he's using the series as an outlet to some degree; a means by which to explore his feelings over the recent direction of the US, the UK, and the EU.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Things need to change to keep interesting. We got multiple seasons from multiple shows of the perfect Federation and it's not like those suddenly don't exist. If anything, having those show what is being lost and showing what characters will fight for.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
With Picard it's not so bad at least, as that's at least entering new territory.

Discovery has no excuse for being so fucking grim though.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Well if you want TNG there's a whole seven seasons of that. They have talked about what this show is for the past year and a half and the trailers would show you a serialised story.

narrative television is the norm now because there's no need to be able to sell a show into syndication.

I actually really like serialized television, I was never a fan of the standalone approach so I'm very happy that multi-episode arcs are now the norm. The issue I had with Discovery is that in both seasons the main plot heavily revolved around Burnham in a very personal way. I would have been very happy with a season-long narrative arc otherwise. Hopefully the third season will be different in that regard.