• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like serialized television, I was never a fan of the standalone approach so I'm very happy that multi-episode arcs are now the norm. The issue I had with Discovery is that in both seasons the main plot heavily revolved around Burnham in a very personal way. I would have been very happy with a season-long narrative arc otherwise. Hopefully the third season will be different in that regard.
She was the flashpoint for the war so it should follow her story through that. Spock was her brother so that should impact the story. Picard is a personal story on ... Picard. It's fine that it revolves primarily around him really.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like serialized television, I was never a fan of the standalone approach so I'm very happy that multi-episode arcs are now the norm. The issue I had with Discovery is that in both seasons the main plot heavily revolved around Burnham in a very personal way. I would have been very happy with a season-long narrative arc otherwise. Hopefully the third season will be different in that regard.
Not likely to be different I think. CBS seems to have no problem with having the shows be mainly focused around a primary main character. Honestly I don't think Discovery and Picard are any different then past Trek shows. I've felt this for a while. Reduce past series seasons to similar number of episodes DSC and PIC have. If you'd focus on the main big stories I believe you'd fine the majority them would primarily focus on Picard, Janeway, Archer, and Sisko. Those extra episodes allow for the appearance that the shows are ensemble pieces I think. I don't think TOS even pretends. That show was focused around Kirk, Spock, and McCoy with Kirk always at the center.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Captains make sense that they get more spotlight, they are the ones who take control when threats to ship, often need make final decisions, make rulings on situations and have cause to stick their beaker in should they see fit.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Not likely to be different I think. CBS seems to have no problem with having the shows be mainly focused around a primary main character. Honestly I don't think Discovery and Picard are any different then past Trek shows. I've felt this for a while. Reduce past series seasons to similar number of episodes DSC and PIC have. If you'd focus on the main big stories I believe you'd fine the majority them would primarily focus on Picard, Janeway, Archer, and Sisko. Those extra episodes allow for the appearance that the shows are ensemble pieces I think. I don't think TOS even pretends. That show was focused around Kirk, Spock, and McCoy with Kirk always at the center.

I'm fine with that, I understand that shows have protagonists and secondary characters. My issue is that the protagonist is always connected to the main plot in a personal way. For example, I strongly dislike that the second season's main story arc directly involved Burnham's extended family. I literally, physically rolled my eyes when the mystery of the red angel was revealed. It was as bad as DS9's pah wraiths prophecy stuff.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Very happy at both those pieces of news. I'd also like to see Wil back as Wesley but that might be too meta with him hosting the after show.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wesley was in Star Trek Nemesis, at Riker and Troi's wedding, in a Starfleet uniform.

He quit doing that alien Traveler stuff and came back down to Earth, rejoined Starfleet, and is (was?) serving under Captain Riker on the USS Titan.
I missed that. I missed most of Nemesis tbh.

Starfleet is weird, they accept all levels of sabbatical.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Considering all the weird shit starfleet personal have to deal with they better get some great benefits lol

"Sir?"
"Yes, cadet?"
"Well, Sir, I was just reading through my enrolment papers. Terms and conditions, you know?"
"You'll accrue shore leave at a rate of-"
"That's not it, Sir. I was wondering more about the... 'Exceptions owing to Circumstances of Higher Celestial Powers'."
"...Let's just say you're gonna meet some weird forms of life out there."

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Nemesis he had a cameo and was visible sitting at a table for like 3 seconds and was shoved to the edge of the frame.

Nothing else is known, the Titan stuff is non canon and irrelevant.
The end of Nemesis has Will assigned as Captain of the Titan. It's canon.

Wesley mentioning he was being assigned to the ship was filmed, though the scene cut. I believe it remains in the novelisation.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The end of Nemesis has Will assigned as Captain of the Titan. It's canon.

Wesley mentioning he was being assigned to the ship was filmed, though the scene cut. I believe it remains in the novelisation.
I was referring to Wesley on the Titan, that's non canon. Cut scenes don't count if they don't make it into the movie and novelizations have never been canon at all.

One has to be a Pike show, the other one will probably be a 24th/25th century show if only to make use of all the new uniforms, props and other assets made for Picard.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was referring to Wesley on the Titan, that's non canon. Cut scenes don't count if they don't make it into the movie and novelizations have never been canon at all.

One has to be a Pike show, the other one will probably be a 24th/25th century show if only to make use of all the new uniforms, props and other assets made for Picard.

but they're making Picard season two

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
but they're making Picard season two
But that's only 10 episodes and doesn't film the entire year, when Picard's not in production all of that stuff would just sit in boxes somewhere, financially it would make sense to do another show in Picard's time just like a Pike and section 31 show would use all of those 23rd century stuff they made.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

CBS so upset they hate this show so much.

We already knew this, but it's nice to have more confirmations.

Neat, I like Wil.
Just so long as he's never in an actual Star Trek episode ever again as Wesley Crusher.
I actually wouldn't mind Wesley coming back, as long as he's a better character.
Yeah, that sounds about right, especially Pike after what Rod Roddenberry said.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Wesley was just a kid when he was originally a character. They could spin him any which way if they brought him back now.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
His hairline has certainly held up better than Stewart's.
iqqPiWP.jpg

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
I like how the "potential future" badge is now the actual badge.

not exactly, but pretty dang close.

I like how they moved the dividing line more to the right to have that parity with Discovery, but I don't like how the backing piece stops at the peak of the delta. It's like someone was trying to recreate the 2390s insignia from memory and got pretty close but not quite.