• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
One could go to Netflix and just watch the absolute essential episodes from each season:

Season 1, Episode 7: Justice
Season 2, Episode 19: Manhunt
Season 3, Episode 24: Ménage à Troi
Season 4, Episode 20: Qpid
Season 5, Episode 20: Cost of Living
Season 6, Episode 8: A Fistful of Datas
Season 7, Episode 14: Sub Rosa

97d.gif

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
This will probably be great. But visually it's disappointing. The general aesthetic isn't meshing with me. I'm not loving the "Abrams" look for everything.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not nearly as excited for t his as I feel like I should be...

Me either. Like I said in the main Star Trek thread, I have no expectations for the show, just because of the people behind it. Everything Kurtzman touches turns to shit. I'm expecting it to be Generations tier quality, at best. Nothing amazing, but not the worst thing ever.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Honestly, one of the problems with Trek and a lot of sci-fi is that the ambient lighting of ships is just absurdly bright. Other than when a ship is right up close to an actual light source like a star, or a reflective source like a planet or moon, all you're really going to see is its own self-generated lights.

You got it flipped.

Space is pretty damn bright, unless you're in a shadow. You don't get much diffusion like we do here on the surface. You also get those wild temperature swings on top of radiation.

Edit, probably should be more precise. Within planetary systems, where most of the show takes place, it's going to be pretty bright. Less show when light-years between systems, but hell warp isn't really shown right in Trek anyways.

Last edited:

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Me either. Like I said in the main Star Trek thread, I have no expectations for the show, just because of the people behind it. Everything Kurtzman touches turns to shit. I'm expecting it to be Generations tier quality, at best. Nothing amazing, but not the worst thing ever.
Yes, this does seem like it's going to be TNG film calibre. Which means it will probably be terrible Star Trek, but decent space action.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
There's a few frames hidden in there between the Galaxy Class shots of the ship in a stellar nebula.

Also looks like the last shot is of a GC Ship being overtaken from some sort of energy field (maybe the destruction of Romulus gets some screen time?) Hense the lighting behind it and to the starboard side.

Little weary of seeing Picard running down a hallway and the baysplotions.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
You can see a Discovery shuttle in this trailer.
I've seen a few people saying this but not sure I understand why it's a problem. In both Children of Mars and this trailer the shuttles are being used for civilian transport. That...kind of makes sense? Assuming that the Federation builds ships to last, shuttles that were fit for service in high-end Federation ships in the Discovery era should, with a bit of retrofitting, still be okay for civilian transport in the Picard era. It's a long time (~140 years) but not a totally unbelievable amount of time. There's still amphibious vehicles that the US built in WWII in use for tours today.

Why are we seeing a Galaxy class at all? Is it just meant to be a memory of the Enterprise?
The Galaxy class is less than 40 years old. There's no reason for it not to be around. There's active ships older than that in the current US navy. It'd presumably be considered outdated, but for a lot of what the Federation does it'd be perfectly fine.

To truly understand Picard's psyche going into the new show, one needs to see at least a few Lwaxana Troi episodes.
This is a better reason than I expected for posting that list of episodes.

But still no.

Do we know if we'll be able to go into this blind? I really like Star Trek Discovery, so I'm interested in this. I've saw enough back in the day to know the basics about Next Generation... Data is a robot, Jeri Ryan was a Borg, Riker was Picard's #2, but that's about it.
I think it'll be possible to go in blind and pick up most of the key points along the way, but probably better to have some background. There's viewing lists online, though there's quite a few episodes and movies on them and it might be tricky to get through those lists before the first episode of Picard. If you want the quickest catch up it might be best to go for the TNG Borg episodes - "Q Who", "The Best of Both Worlds" which is a two-parter and "I, Borg". Those four episodes give a really good look at Picard as a character, the Federation as a polity, the Borg as an enemy and the crew of the Enterprise. First Contact is an action-focused addendum to that but I'm not sure it'll be a required watch.

Some guides suggest watching Romulan episodes of TNG as well, and although there's some very good ones, you will probably be able to get by with just a basic summary of the Romulans (proud people, Star Empire, capital planet recently destroyed by a special effect). Previous to that, the entire Romulan leadership was wiped out (by an entirely different special effect) so in terms of knowledge of how the Romulans are now, we're all pretty much blind.

I also see that Nemesis is appearing on some suggested catch-up lists...don't watch Nemesis. Read a synopsis on Wikipedia or something. It's not worth two hours of your life.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait and hope it will be as good as Discovery. Star Trek is in a good place right now.

OP
OP
Noodle

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I've seen a few people saying this but not sure I understand why it's a problem. In both Children of Mars and this trailer the shuttles are being used for civilian transport. That...kind of makes sense? Assuming that the Federation builds ships to last, shuttles that were fit for service in high-end Federation ships in the Discovery era should, with a bit of retrofitting, still be okay for civilian transport in the Picard era. It's a long time (~140 years) but not a totally unbelievable amount of time. There's still amphibious vehicles that the US built in WWII in use for tours today.

It's cheap and lazy. We never see any ships from TOS flying around in TNG but suddenly this shuttle we've never seen before from the second earliest chronological era turns up in the latest era?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It's cheap and lazy. We never see any ships from TOS flying around in TNG but suddenly this shuttle we've never seen before from the second earliest chronological era turns up in the latest era?
We barely see Earth in TNG, DS9 and Voyager so there's never been anything to suggest that there were no older ships that were repurposed for civilian use.

However, you're simply incorrect that we don't see TOS ships in later series. There are Excelsior-class ships all over the place in TNG and DS9, and the last episode of Voyager. The Excelsior first appeared in STIII and by the time of the last episode of Voyager, was nearly 100 years old. The Miranda class was even older - that's from the first season of TOS - and a few of them still show up in TNG (including going up against the Borg at Wolf-359) and the last episode of Voyager (nearly 120 years old by then). There's also Oberth-class ships (which first appeared in STIII) in TNG and DS9.

Compared to those ancient ship classes being in active fleet service ~100+ years after they were designed, Discovery shuttles being in civilian use 140 years after they were designed is...quite a bit more believable to me than having Miranda class ships scooting about.

OP
OP
Noodle

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
We barely see Earth in TNG, DS9 and Voyager so there's never been anything to suggest that there were no older ships that were repurposed for civilian use.

However, you're simply incorrect that we don't see TOS ships in later series. There are Excelsior-class ships all over the place in TNG and DS9, and the last episode of Voyager. The Excelsior first appeared in STIII and by the time of the last episode of Voyager, was nearly 100 years old. The Miranda class was even older - that's from the first season of TOS - and a few of them still show up in TNG (including going up against the Borg at Wolf-359) and the last episode of Voyager (nearly 120 years old by then). There's also Oberth-class ships (which first appeared in STIII) in TNG and DS9.

Compared to those ancient ship classes being in active fleet service ~100+ years after they were designed, Discovery shuttles being in civilian use 140 years after they were designed is...quite a bit more believable to me than having Miranda class ships scooting about.

Those are TMP, not TOS. The Miranda certainly never appeared in Season 1 TOS as it was designed specifically for ST2. For DS9 it made a certain sense as all Starfleet wanted for the war were spaceframes they could cobble a ship out of, and the VFX guys already went on record to say it was a mistake to use so many old ships.

More importantly, there's no continuity. Discovery shuttles never appeared in other series. They were replaced several times over. The Mirandas and Excelsiors never disappeared for whole series at a time only to be brought back. You could see how the end of one era flowed into another as Mirandas were relegated to Starfleet cargo transports.

A post-scarcity society that has countless updated ship designs suddenly uses the first Federation shuttle design for everything? We know the reason - cheaping out and assuming the audience are too stupid to question the logic of it.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The Galaxy class is less than 40 years old. There's no reason for it not to be around. There's active ships older than that in the current US navy. It'd presumably be considered outdated, but for a lot of what the Federation does it'd be perfectly fine.

I know, that's not what I meant. By asking I meant are they showing a flashback or are they just giving us some fan service.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This thing about shuttles... I really don't minded at all. The TNG era had a few different shuttle designs and I barely noticed or cared u TIL I saw some YouTube videos. It took me ages to figure out the difference between the runabouts and shuttles ffs.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Yeah... as a formerly huge Trek fan i will wait for impressions and reviews as well before going into this one... Unless they really nailed some of the spirit of the older shows and at least KIND of got what Trek was all about in the first place, i don't want to waste time with this... as sad as that would be as i'd really love to see Picard's farewell tour done right.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Those are TMP, not TOS.
Is that an important distinction, to you, in this context? It's not to me. My point is that we see constant active-service re-use of older ships. If that's allowable for starships, I don't see how the idea of an old shuttle design being re-used in the civilian sector is a problem.

The Miranda certainly never appeared in Season 1 TOS as it was designed specifically for ST2.
Memory Alpha says a TOS episode contains a list of ships that includes the registration carried by Reliant. That's later shown as Miranda class. You could count that as a retcon as it's not shown on-screen as a Miranda class, but it does mean that that based on the canon there's Miranda class ships in TOS. Again though, the point is that old ship use is common.

More importantly, there's no continuity. Discovery shuttles never appeared in other series. They were replaced several times over.
Sure. However, as I say, we barely see Earth in TNG, DS9 and Voyager, and almost all of what we do see of Earth is San Francisco, a little bit of New Orleans, and tiny little spots of France. If it turns out that in Star Trek canon there's a thousand of those shuttles still boating around in various uses, there isn't anything you can point at to say that contradicts anything.

A post-scarcity society that has countless updated ship designs suddenly uses the first Federation shuttle design for everything? We know the reason - cheaping out and assuming the audience are too stupid to question the logic of it.
"Everything"? We've seen that design twice now, once for ferrying schoolchildren and now once in this trailer.

You know what, I hope Picard has a long section of dialogue where someone from off-Earth asks him why there's all these old shuttles still in use and Picard explains how he was taught about that shuttle design at the Academy and remembers how his instructor told the class that it was a super-reliable design that would probably outlive most of the class, and that he now sees that the instructor was right all along, and then he turns to the camera and says "it's just a really good shuttle" and everyone else in the scene thinks about that for a moment and then agrees.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah... as a formerly huge Trek fan i will wait for impressions and reviews as well before going into this one... Unless they really nailed some of the spirit of the older shows and at least KIND of got what Trek was all about in the first place, i don't want to waste time with this... as sad as that would be as i'd really love to see Picard's farewell tour done right.

This is where I'm at as well. I came to Discovery late, gave it more than a fair chance, and then dropped off at the beginning of season 2. Hoping for better from this.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I would be amazed if they don't bring him back at least once in the supposed 3-4 seasons this show is getting. I could very easily see him return as a cliffhanger for the end of season 1.

"Missed me, mon capitan?"

I kind of want Q to show up at the vineyard just to pester elder Picard and push him to get off his ass. Would be fitting for him to help Picard again.

Don't think we should expect it to be the same spirit, they've been very clear it isn't. That being said, there should still be some expectations from a new Trek show. It should be more than just a JJ-style mindless summer blockbuster. If it does that, I'll be happy to see both the new and old characters in this universe again.